Broken valve stem? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By ExWrench
  • 1 Post By Joe C
  • 1 Post By ExWrench

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 05-17-2017, 02:16 PM Thread Starter

Broken valve stem?

I just got my 09 Jeep Wrangler 2door, the tire pressure light came on. I went to check the pressure and noticed the valvestem on the spare and my drivers side rear were broken. Not leaking air but just broke. Should I just put a rubber valvestem in it or change the whole tire pressure sensor and all?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-17-2017, 08:52 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheifwalnut View Post
I just got my 09 Jeep Wrangler 2door, the tire pressure light came on. I went to check the pressure and noticed the valvestem on the spare and my drivers side rear were broken. Not leaking air but just broke. Should I just put a rubber valvestem in it or change the whole tire pressure sensor and all?
No need to buy new sensors unless yours are dead.

If your '09 TPS sensors are like my '10s, the sensors are held to the valve stems by a single screw.

You need the right type of valve stem (widely available), but it's a fookin' cake walk.

Break bead --> remove 1 screw + sensor --> R&R valve stem --> reinstall sensor --> reinflate tire

EDIT: oh, and (personal preference) - get SHORT valve stems.

EDIT2: oh, and Welcome to JKO!
Rb6700 likes this.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 05-17-2017 at 08:54 PM.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-18-2017, 06:46 AM
Wheeler

I did a write-up about this on my '09 a while back. Not sure if links and pics are still good but hopefully it's helpful. You should be able to do a little research/googling and find what you need for cheap.

TPMS & Valve Stem fix

Edit: I just updated that thread with some new links that should be more helpful.
ExWrench likes this.

2009 Unlimited XS
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil lift, Wylie JK rock rails,
Shrockworks stubby front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 8 winch,
Midland 75-822 with 3' Firestik, Custom grab handles,
JKS quicker disconnects, Daystar hood wranglers

Last edited by Joe C; 05-18-2017 at 07:14 AM.

post #4 of 10 Old 05-18-2017, 10:18 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
I did a write-up about this on my '09 a while back. Not sure if links and pics are still good but hopefully it's helpful. You should be able to do a little research/googling and find what you need for cheap.

TPMS & Valve Stem fix

Edit: I just updated that thread with some new links that should be more helpful.
That's great! Thanks for maintaining / updating our collective JKO knowledge base.

Bummer: the '09s don't have the same style as my '10s

For comparison, here's an '09 sensor (photo courtesy of Joe C):

If anyone has to change all TPMS sensors on an earlier model, I'd go to the newer style.

Flexible valve stem with sensor screwed on to the inside end, with room to wiggle and deflect without cracking (I've tested this theory )

The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-18-2017, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

So on my 09 it's a one piece? That sucks, I was hoping to just put a rubber valvestem in it.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-19-2017, 10:32 AM
Wheeler

You can't put rubber stems in and keep the stock TPMS but the aluminum stem is separate from the sensor so you can replace just the stem.

2009 Unlimited XS
TeraFlex 2.5" Coil lift, Wylie JK rock rails,
Shrockworks stubby front bumper, Smittybilt XRC 8 winch,
Midland 75-822 with 3' Firestik, Custom grab handles,
JKS quicker disconnects, Daystar hood wranglers
post #7 of 10 Old 05-19-2017, 02:04 PM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage

only because it relates to breaking a valvestem - FWIW I do not run TPMS sensors as I am the most OCD mofo in the world and check my tire pressure before I take off even to get kids at bus stop or to drive someplace so I am sort of my own TPMsystem, heh- I will remind anyone else that is reading this that for when this occurs on the trail and you are spareless or whatever reason , these things are great to carry in your tire plug kit or glovebox.

ExWrench reminding to use the short stems is great advice, too.,

lllllll '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ
post #8 of 10 Old 05-19-2017, 07:33 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheifwalnut View Post
So on my 09 it's a one piece? That sucks, I was hoping to just put a rubber valvestem in it.
I'ts not a one piece - Joe C's right on here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
You can't put rubber stems in and keep the stock TPMS but the aluminum stem is separate from the sensor so you can replace just the stem.
If your sensors are good and you want to keep the current valve stem type, they're not horribly expensive.
If you're going to wheel it and rub your valve stems, I'd go the flexible route.
If you've got money to burn, you could buy new-style sensors and stems.

[GHETTO FAB, HACK-JOB]
If your sensors are good and you want rubber stems, you could attach the sensor inside the center drop-out.
I won't say how I would attach it, because I don't want you suing me if you fuck anything up.

[/GHETTO FAB, HACK-JOB]

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
only because it relates to breaking a valvestem - FWIW I do not run TPMS sensors as I am the most OCD mofo in the world and check my tire pressure before I take off even to get kids at bus stop or to drive someplace so I am sort of my own TPMsystem, heh
Wow j3ff3ry, I genuinely admire your level of diligence regarding tire pressure
. . . though I will not be emulating said admirable diligence

Quote:
these things are great to carry in your tire plug kit or glovebox.
Dood! - Y'all just dun lurned me sump'n Thanks j3ff3ry!
Some fahhhrrrking genius combined well nut + valve stem = kickass band aid!
I hope he or she profited from this creative solution.

EDIT: HERE (AMAZINGCORN LINK) is my huckleberry: extra-short, so least breakable.
Semi-sorry for ginormous photo attached , but it shows how the li'l mu'fugger works
Attached Images

j3ff3ry_j33p likes this.

Last edited by ExWrench; 05-19-2017 at 07:54 PM.
post #9 of 10 Old 05-20-2017, 06:14 AM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
I'ts not a one piece - Joe C's right on here:

If your sensors are good and you want to keep the current valve stem type, they're not horribly expensive.
If you're going to wheel it and rub your valve stems, I'd go the flexible route.
If you've got money to burn, you could buy new-style sensors and stems.

[GHETTO FAB, HACK-JOB]
If your sensors are good and you want rubber stems, you could attach the sensor inside the center drop-out.
I won't say how I would attach it, because I don't want you suing me if you fuck anything up.

[/GHETTO FAB, HACK-JOB]

Wow j3ff3ry, I genuinely admire your level of diligence regarding tire pressure
. . . though I will not be emulating said admirable diligence

Dood! - Y'all just dun lurned me sump'n Thanks j3ff3ry!
Some fahhhrrrking genius combined well nut + valve stem = kickass band aid!
I hope he or she profited from this creative solution.

EDIT: HERE (AMAZINGCORN LINK) is my huckleberry: extra-short, so least breakable.
Semi-sorry for ginormous photo attached , but it shows how the li'l mu'fugger works
leave it to you to have your own, beefier, self-made version that probably was around before the ones I suggested. Nice, man.
I don't think they have been out too long , maybe 3 years ?

And on subject of what could be misinterpreted as a psi fetish, trust me it's grown annoying . I only have to be that diligent because not having properly nor completely cleaned some particularly gooey Alabama clay mud from my inner wheel where the bead mates to it while aired down where it all accumulated and then dried , I have only one that retained air for more than a day ...slow, varying leaks that were a pita . I just had my tires flipped and remounted two days ago , went down this morning to verify and sure enough they are all holding at the psi I filled them to ystrdy ; holy hell, wtf am I gonna do now with all my free time ?!

it is odd having the bfgs with the WLO but I don't use 'tires for looks ... : jeep2:

lllllll '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ
post #10 of 10 Old 05-20-2017, 08:04 AM
Random Dude

Quote:
leave it to you to have your own, beefier, self-made version that probably was around before the ones I suggested. Nice, man.
I don't think they have been out too long , maybe 3 years ?
To be clear, I didn't know about emergency valve stems at all until clicking your link - thanks for the ed-juh-mah-cay-shun! In researching this new-to-me wonder, I first found a few different colors of the wing-nut style, then the "permanent" ones w/o the plastic wing nut, then the permanent-style shorties (all made by Colby, so their patent is still solid and the sneaky Chinos haven't found a way around it yet). When I gazed upon the elegant simplicity of design, combined with the minimal liability of extension, those expensive little brass and rubber contraptions said
"I'm your huckleberry", and I could not argue to the contrary.

Quote:
And on subject of what could be misinterpreted as a psi fetish . . .
Here's my trick: running my tires at 26, I set my TPMS threshold to 30 psi. Experimentation has shown me that my TPMS goes off 4 PSI below set point. If I get a pound under 26, dash nanny informs me that tires need a-checkin'. Unless dash nanny bitches at me, my lazy ass only checks tire pressure before road trips or it's been awhile and paranoia is creeping in.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode