JKOwners Forum banner

Pro comp 7069 question

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  89yjon 
#1 ·
Recently purchased and installed pro comp 7069 on my 2010 JKU. At 60 mpn i have a heavy vibration. Looked into what the cause would be after the Pro comp rep told me that I had to torque the rims in a star pattern (REALLY GUY ?) my mechanic did suggest getting hub centric rings which I have ordered from summit, due to the center bore being larger than the hub. Just wondering if anyone experienced this same issue with after market rims, Thanks T

#5 ·
I bet the hub-centric rings will help with your vibration. Regardless, you should invest in a set.

I once had a 2003 Chevy pickup that I installed aftermarket wheels on (truck was designed to be hub-centric, wheels were lug-centric and did not include hub-centric rings). I was a 19-year-old kid who didn't know any better. I never could get the wheel/tire combination to feel like it was balanced, even though 3 different tire shops balanced them and said they were good to go. After about 5,000 miles, I made a right hand turn and heard a jingling on the road, followed by a loud bang and a scraping sound. 4 of the 6 wheel studs had sheared off. I found my lug nuts in the intersection with about 1/4" of stud sticking out of them.

On a hub-centric setup, the up/down/forward/rearward forces are designed to be taken by the hub itself, and the lug studs are only designed to take the side-to-side force to keep the wheel in contact with the hub. Running aftermarket wheels without the appropriate hub-centric rings exposes the lug studs to all of the above forces, not just those they were designed to withstand.

I was lucky with my Chevy, as I was only doing about 15-20 mph when those studs let go. It could have been much worse. The brake rotors/hubs on all 4 corners of the truck were showing signs of the wheels "walking around" on the hubs. I ended up replacing all 24 studs and sold the tires and wheels (to purchase a turbo setup for the truck...), with a new set of hub-centric rings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.