Hello from South Texas - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 10-07-2007, 06:33 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hello from South Texas

My name is Duke Daniel. I'm in San Antonio Texas. I've been wheeling in one form or another since 1986. My current weekend plaything is a 2007 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon.

Here is a few shots of my Jeep.................

Last edited by Duke; 10-07-2007 at 06:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 10-07-2007, 07:39 AM
Granite Guru

Awesome shots dude, especially the last!

Welcome

2007 2Dr JK Rubicon, Black
FT 3" HD Economy Lift
FT Adjustable Front Track Bar
K&N Air Filter
JRE Hinge Mounted Mirrors
ProComp 1069 17x9
35x12.50x17 BFG M/T's
JRE Bumper
JRE Rock Sliders

Need Ski or Snowboard Gear?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 21 Old 10-07-2007, 09:34 AM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Good stuff Duke!

Welcome to the forum!
post #4 of 21 Old 10-12-2007, 07:43 PM
Wheeler

Welcome Duke! ...and nice bumper!

Are those pics from Texas Spur Jamboree? I went in the spring, but didn't make it in the fall.

Last edited by shrockworks; 10-13-2007 at 02:46 AM.
post #5 of 21 Old 10-12-2007, 10:07 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to RedRockJK Send a message via Yahoo to RedRockJK

Welcome Duke! How about some specs on that sweet looking Jeep. Looks like maybe 37" tires ?

2007 Rubicon Unlimited: MODS: Superior 5.13 Gears, Black Diamond 3" Lift, 1" M.O.R.E. Body Lift, FT Rear Adj. Trackbar, 15x8 ION 170 wheels, 37x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's, Superwinch EPi9.0, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, IGGEE Black/Charcoal seat covers, relocated muffler (Magnaflow 11376).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old 10-14-2007, 10:36 PM
Gib
Rock God

Those pics make me miss the granits playgrounds in Texas. The top one looks like it might be Katemcy. If you are in San Antonio do you know if the Slab out in Kingsland is still open? It is right by the Buchanan lake. I used to go there quite a bit when I was stationed at Ft. Hood.
post #7 of 21 Old 10-15-2007, 04:20 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrockworks View Post
Welcome Duke! ...and nice bumper!

Are those pics from Texas Spur Jamboree? I went in the spring, but didn't make it in the fall.
The bumper and rails are holding up nicely. I just need a matching rear bumper/tire carrier now.

Yes, the above pictures were taken at Inks Ranch at the fall Jamboree a couple of weeks ago. Incredible ranch, too bad we only have access twice a year.
post #8 of 21 Old 10-15-2007, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRockJK View Post
Welcome Duke! How about some specs on that sweet looking Jeep. Looks like maybe 37" tires ?
Thanks. Here is some specs.......

Bought the Jeep 7/16/07
3" FT Ultimate lift w/ HD springs
1" MORE body lift
(5) 37x12.5x17 BFG M/T's
Shrockworks front stubby
Shrockworks rock rails
Tuffy Security Drawer
Modified factory fogs to work as rock lights
Relocated EVAP

Within the next 30 days I should add.....
5.13 gears
replacement 1350 driveshafts

By the end of the year, I should add.....
alloy shafts
tube doors
rear bumper/tire carrier
post #9 of 21 Old 10-15-2007, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
Those pics make me miss the granits playgrounds in Texas. The top one looks like it might be Katemcy. If you are in San Antonio do you know if the Slab out in Kingsland is still open? It is right by the Buchanan lake. I used to go there quite a bit when I was stationed at Ft. Hood.
Those pictures were taken at Inks Ranch, which is very similar to Katemcy, but on a slightly grander scale.

We used to go to the slab alot, but unfortunately the State closed all water ways a couple of years ago.

We now regularly go to a local ranch, Long's Ranch, that is little over 5 miles from the entrance to the slab. In fact we were there on Saturday. Here a couple of pictures........

post #10 of 21 Old 10-15-2007, 05:21 AM
Gib
Rock God

That's a great looking Jeep you've got there Duke. I had heard rumors that they shut down the Slab. It's a shame, I used to go there quite a bit with my freinds and spend the weekend there. Ft. Hood used to be open to wheeling in certain areas too, but they shut that down as well. They said that we were disrupting the habitat of an endangered bird. Funny thing is that M1 tanks are still allowed in those areas.
post #11 of 21 Old 10-15-2007, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
That's a great looking Jeep you've got there Duke. I had heard rumors that they shut down the Slab. It's a shame, I used to go there quite a bit with my freinds and spend the weekend there. Ft. Hood used to be open to wheeling in certain areas too, but they shut that down as well. They said that we were disrupting the habitat of an endangered bird. Funny thing is that M1 tanks are still allowed in those areas.

In the mid 90's we spent alot of time at Ft. Hood wheelin' in Area 34. Good memories for sure.

Thanks for your service.
post #12 of 21 Old 10-15-2007, 06:51 AM
Rock God

Duke, did you make it up that ledge in the second pic? While pics suck for telling what's going on, it does appear you might belly up to the rock face.

If it did, it doesn't really appear that there are many other options to work the rears up the ledge.
post #13 of 21 Old 10-15-2007, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

QUOTE=paragon;2776]Duke, did you make it up that ledge in the second pic? While pics suck for telling what's going on, it does appear you might belly up to the rock face.

If it did, it doesn't really appear that there are many other options to work the rears up the ledge.[/QUOTE]

No, but looking at the picture I think I could have if I would have bumped it. Footing at the top was very loose, but if I would have seen the picture, while still there I would have tried again with a little momentum.

Someone (no names but he used to drive a H2 and now wheels a red JK - ) told me my effort was futile so I backed off. In this case I actually listened to my spotter, who seems more sensible than me at times.

Here is a pic of the truck up against the ledge.......

Last edited by Duke; 10-15-2007 at 11:44 AM.
post #14 of 21 Old 10-15-2007, 12:54 PM
14ers

Duke,
Great to see you use it as it was intended. I look forward to trying some of the same efforts in the Sierras soon. I hope my pics can look as good!

2008 Rescue Green UJK Rubicon 6 spd with a bunch of super cheap mods!
post #15 of 21 Old 10-15-2007, 01:06 PM
Broker by the Minute

Garage

Cool pics Duke!

Bet you could have made it, without much bump, had you approached at a slight angle rather than head on.
post #16 of 21 Old 10-15-2007, 01:51 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post
Duke, did you make it up that ledge in the second pic? While pics suck for telling what's going on, it does appear you might belly up to the rock face.

If it did, it doesn't really appear that there are many other options to work the rears up the ledge.
No, but looking at the picture I think I could have if I would have bumped it. Footing at the top was very loose, but if I would have seen the picture, while still there I would have tried again with a little momentum.

Someone (no names but he used to drive a H2 and now wheels a red JK - ) told me my effort was futile so I backed off. In this case I actually listened to my spotter, who seems more sensible than me at times.
From the first pic, it doesn't appear you were going to even get that far. I am very pleased at how far you got and agree that just a little momentum to get the rears up to start climbing might would have gotten that. I assume you weren't hung up enough that you couldn't back down, so you had some more gas tank skid to use.

As far as said spotter. I'm a little surprised. He usually isn't so reserved.
post #17 of 21 Old 10-31-2007, 05:28 PM
Granite Guru

Hey Duke

You used to live in Porter didn't you? I think I put your dad to sleep for an operation long time ago in Kingwood. Didn't you used to have a big ass Chevy truck? Frankenrover is my handle on Pirate - still wheelin' the big old Defender 110 (with mog axles and a diesel now).

Anyways, good to see you back in action with the JK. I just picked one up today as well. 4" lift/37's/5.13's are about a week away.
post #18 of 21 Old 10-31-2007, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJk View Post
Hey Duke

You used to live in Porter didn't you? I think I put your dad to sleep for an operation long time ago in Kingwood. Didn't you used to have a big ass Chevy truck? Frankenrover is my handle on Pirate - still wheelin' the big old Defender 110 (with mog axles and a diesel now).

Anyways, good to see you back in action with the JK. I just picked one up today as well. 4" lift/37's/5.13's are about a week away.
Never lived in Porter. I think you are thinking of DJ Jones, he had that green Z71 and red Zuk. I believe we have wheeled together though. I think we may have wheeled together in Uvalde or Ft. Hood ('97 or '98)when you had the yellow D90. Back then I had a lifted Tahoe and a lifted white Zuk.

Enjoy the JK. Start a thread and posts pics of the build.
post #19 of 21 Old 10-31-2007, 06:29 PM
Granite Guru

There ya go, now I remember you.

Many good times were had at Ft. Hood before they closed it to civilian traffic.

Ah, the memories.....
post #20 of 21 Old 11-09-2007, 01:23 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke View Post
I thought I recognized that good looking guy

Quote:
We'll try that ledge again January
post #21 of 21 Old 11-09-2007, 01:25 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by paragon View Post
As far as said spotter. I'm a little surprised. He usually isn't so reserved.
I hate breaking other people's stuff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode