Hello all - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-06-2008, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Hello all

I plan on buying a JK Unlimited within a week or so. I joined this forum in the hopes of learning some things. I plan on getting a suspension lift and larger tires. But what I need to sort out is,is the Rubicon worth the extra dough or can I outfit an X (lockers, swaybar disconnect)for less money and still have the same offroad capabilities? This will be my second jeep I had a '79 CJ 7 that was lifted and 35 inch tires throughout high school till I was 21. I am looking forward to having a jeep again! And doing some offroading. Have a nice day all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Rock God

welcome!

first off, what kind of wheeling are you planning to do? You may not need a Rubicon for what you want. I know several people (including me) with 35" tires on the stock D30 front that comes with the X and Sahara. Another $260 and you can have an auto locker for the front.

Anyways... you can buy front and rear Rubicon axles for aorund $3k i think and they include 4.10 gears and the lockers. You then of coarse have to wire them for the locker which usually means a Mopar Harness. No clue how the E disco cost. At that point your pretty much there except the Transfer case is diffrent so unless you want the same ratio you can leave it as is.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #3 of 6 Old 02-06-2008, 02:07 PM
Granite Guru

Welcome! from Golden, Colorado

Really depends on how you'll use it and what you expect from it. You said you're planning 35's and a lift so no advantage to a Rubi on that point. One difference is the Rubi will get you Dana 44's F & R and the X D30 F & D44 R. Lotsa folks get along fine with the D 30's up front when you keep the Right Foot under control. Some people can break anything. You'll probably regear with either one with 35's or larger. IMO I like the idea of manual disconnects rather then computer controlled electic one's.
I did a X with all the mods and bolted Rubi axle assemblies under it. I also decided that the Rubi 4:1 tranfer case gearing with auto was to low for some of the faster trails I run, and as such would be running out of gearing.

WHEN in DOUBT, GAS-IT !

EARTH FIRST! We'll JEEP the other planets later!
post #4 of 6 Old 02-06-2008, 02:25 PM
Rock God

I have an '07 Unlimited X and my goal is to build a Rubi on the cheap. Since a lot of the guys who will pony up the extra bucks for a Rubi then proceed to mod the living daylights out of it anyway, there are many lightly used Rubi parts available on Craigs List, Ebay, etc. So far, I have gotten wheels, tow hooks, and fog lights. I have a buddy who's going to give me his lockers as soon as he upgrades to OX lockers (don't know yet if they will work in my axles). And I have a line on a set of rockrails that are fairly inexpensive. I've even seen Rubi T-cases used.

either way you decide to go, you're gonna love the JK.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-06-2008, 04:19 PM Thread Starter

I actually want to go with 37 inch tires. skibum your right, I have seen lots of JK parts on the local Craigslist here in TX. Thanks for all the input this is a great forum.
post #6 of 6 Old 02-06-2008, 05:24 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to 1TallJKer Send a message via Yahoo to 1TallJKer

Welcome from Reno, NV

I have the X 2dr and just love it. Eventually I'll do the lift, sway bar discos, lockers, etc. Glad I didn't spend the extra money on the Rubi, this way I can build it up how I want it and don't have to feel bad about changing parts out

O.B.A.M.A. - One Big A__ Mistake America

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode