Yosemite questions - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-01-2009, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to wastedyouth02
Yosemite questions

Thinking about going during the summer with the g/f, ive never been there so any ideas what ot expect where to camp what to do and so on would be helpful thanks guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-01-2009, 05:14 PM
Wheeler

I was there about 10 years ago. It is very crowded. Get a reservation for a camp site, way, way in advance. I think you can reserve up to a year in advance. Bring bicycles!!! Its easier to get around on a bike than sit in the traffic jams or sit in the park buses sitting in the traffic jams. It is a beautiful place, anyone that gets the chance should go. If your in good shape the hike to do is the Half Dome hike. It's 20ish miles. If you do it in one day you have to start at dawn. I did it with my ex brother-in-law and it took us about 13 hours. Very difficult hike, 5000 feet of elevation gain I think. You can also backpack it, but you need a back country permit to camp. If your afraid of heights the last couple hundred yards can be harry. There's cables attached to the smooth granite to hold on to. I have pics, but they're old school prints. I need to scan them some day. It's better to go in late spring/early summer, the waterfalls dry up in the summer. It also gets pretty warm there in the summer. Hope that helps, you will not be disappointed if you go.

I lied. It's 14 miles and 4,800 foot elevation gain. Here's a link

http://www.nps.gov/yose/planyourvisit/valleyhikes.htm

2007 Rubicon 2Dr
Teraflex 2.5 coil lift with shocks
ProComp wheels 17X9
Stock 32 tires
ARB front Bumper
Spod
KC windshield lights and Rally 800 bumper lights
Gentex, auto dimming, Homelink, rearview mirror
Mopar rock sliders
Dirtydog 4x4 pet net
Safari straps full cage netting
Neoprene seat vest

Last edited by c90dan; 04-01-2009 at 05:25 PM.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-01-2009, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to wastedyouth02

Yea im a desert rat so i have no idea what to expect lol
post #4 of 7 Old 04-02-2009, 07:07 AM
Rock God

Adding to what c90dan said, try to go to Yosemite when there is a full moon scheduled. Going into the park at night and seeing all of that granite lit up is an awesome sight. Also at night, you'll see little dots of light about half way up the face of El Capitan where all of the climbers camp out for the night. Pretty cool stuff.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-02-2009, 07:24 AM
Rock God

Also, go up to Glacier Point while you're there. If you hop over the railing at the overlook (uh...just be careful ), you can grab shots like these...

Last edited by BigO; 01-12-2011 at 07:05 AM.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-02-2009, 05:38 PM
AK
Granite Guru

All I can say is GO GO GO!! Yosemite is a truly AWSOME place. My wife and I have gone every year sometimes 3 times a year for the last 10 years. It's a little harder now with the kids, but we used to do a lot of backcountry hiking.

Summer is WAY crowded, plan on walking everywhere you go, you'll probably beat the car that leaves at the same time.

Do go to Glacier Point, Do go on a FULL MOON and take the Ful Moon Ranger Hike.

DO MAKE A RESERVATION!!!!!!

If you are a backpacker at all, Do an overnighter to Little Yosemite Valley, it's right on the Merced River just above the falls below Half Dome. That would break up the hike to the top as well if you wanted to. You will need a backcountry permit, but don't fret, they reserve 40% of the permits for first come first serve day of hikers.

Weather is up in the air, we have been snowed on Mid-June and been in the 80's in May so e prepared, but miost of all, take a deep breath and look up while you are there!

AK
Let's go wheelin!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 Unlimited Sahara
Black Auto 5.13's
post #7 of 7 Old 04-03-2009, 10:27 AM
Wheeler

Do it every year, one of my favorite destinations.

Top of Half Dome.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Tycoon; 04-03-2009 at 10:29 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode