Any Planned Trail Runs over Thanksgiving Week/Weekend in So Cal? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 92 Old 11-13-2008, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Any Planned Trail Runs over Thanksgiving Week/Weekend in So Cal?

I will be in Oceanside, CA. for the week of Thanksgiving (11/24 thru 12/1) and was wondering what, if any, planned trail runs might be taking place in the area that I could tag along on. Or, maybe even spark some interest in getting one or more runs scheduled/organized.

I am unfamiliar with the area/terrain so I would be at ya'lls mercy as far as any specific trail(s) would go. And I would be willing to travel a couple/three hours or so to get there if neccessary so as to open up a wider range of opportunity and/or places to go.

I need to get something going or set up so that the better half doesn't fill up our trip with non 4-wheeling activities.

I am open to any suggestions you may have.

Thanks in advance.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by scrogg; 11-13-2008 at 12:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 92 Old 11-13-2008, 05:06 PM
Rock God

Garage
PM Hundy

You should PM 100dollarman. He's the official SoCal Run organizer
post #3 of 92 Old 11-13-2008, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I think he's going to be in Vegas for the holiday. I was hoping that maybe some of the regulars that go out with him would have something planned or maybe want to do something if they were available during that time frame.

Thanks though

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 92 Old 11-18-2008, 12:26 PM
Rock God

I'm planning on being up in Big Bear over the Thanksgiving weekend (Friday through Sunday). I'd like to go wheelin'. Big Bear is a little less than 3 hours from Oceanside.

Anyone else gonna be up in the Big Bear area over the long weekend?
I have an air-compressor & Beers at my cabin after wheelin'

Ty....

Your Southern California wheelin' Attorney

post #5 of 92 Old 11-18-2008, 12:44 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LOYR View Post
I'm planning on being up in Big Bear over the Thanksgiving weekend (Friday through Sunday). I'd like to go wheelin'. Big Bear is a little less than 3 hours from Oceanside.

Anyone else gonna be up in the Big Bear area over the long weekend?
I have an air-compressor & Beers at my cabin after wheelin'

Ty....
I may have to take ya up on that offer. Fri and/or Sat would be great for me as well. I'll keep in touch so that when the weekend gets closer we can nail down times and meeting locations if all goes well.

Thanks for the reply.

(*edit)

Do you have any info/links to the Big Bear area that you are planning on going to? So I can get an idea of what to expect.

post #6 of 92 Old 11-18-2008, 09:55 PM
Granite Guru

Truckhaven is a good place to go for Turkey day! It's near the Salton Sea, East of Borrego Springs,about two hours from O-Side. Plenty of 4 wheelers head that way and you should be able to hook up with some good groups.
Check http://www.tds4x4.com/index.php?opti...tpage&Itemid=1
Home of the desert safari! Good fun!
post #7 of 92 Old 11-20-2008, 12:55 PM
Granite Guru

I'll be out in Occatllio wells and truckhaven for the holliday. we will be bouncin around all over out there, It's great fun!!!!

post #8 of 92 Old 11-20-2008, 06:27 PM
Granite Guru

Thinking about running John Bull and maybe Gold Mountain Friday after turkeyday.

post #9 of 92 Old 11-20-2008, 07:27 PM
Rock God

Headed to Ballarat for the week...
post #10 of 92 Old 11-20-2008, 08:54 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

That John Bull/Big Bear areas look pretty good. I was just watching a few youtube vidoes of some runs. Looks like it would be a alot of fun. Do they have dificulty ratings? Scale of 1 to 10 or 1 to 5? The trails here in Utah are on a 1 to 5 scale and I thought I heard somewhere that the trails in CA were a 1 to 10 scale, so that is why I ask.

post #11 of 92 Old 11-21-2008, 06:14 AM
Rock God

Garage
Question Weekend Runs

I'm sure up for something. I'm not sure I can convince my wife to camp in Big Bear this time of year.... Plus she may want to bring along a single girl friend... If anyone is looking

I have to work for a couple of hours on Friday Morning. Maybe like 6 to 8 AM. I'm open for most anything after that. Who is planning on wheeling that could be met up with in mid to late morning?

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #12 of 92 Old 11-21-2008, 11:11 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Does anyone have, or know where to get a *.kmz file of the John Bull trail (or other trails in the area) that I can down load to google earth?

(*edit)
As an example, the rockymountainextreme website that I frequent has alot of the trails listed in this manner. It is very useful, you can get a quick description of the trail, it's difficulty rating (note these are on a 1 to 5 scale), GPS coordinates, a map, and a *.kmz file to load onto google earth.

Here is a link:

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/...ad.php?t=47546

Last edited by scrogg; 11-21-2008 at 11:26 AM.
post #13 of 92 Old 11-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Rock God

Garage
Lightbulb John Bull trail

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrogg View Post
Does anyone have, or know where to get a *.kmz file of the John Bull trail (or other trails in the area) that I can down load to google earth?

(*edit)
As an example, the rockymountainextreme website that I frequent has alot of the trails listed in this manner. It is very useful, you can get a quick description of the trail, it's difficulty rating (note these are on a 1 to 5 scale), GPS coordinates, a map, and a *.kmz file to load onto google earth.

Here is a link:

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/...ad.php?t=47546
I have it saved into the saved trails on the My Gig GPS. I'm very sure if your coming down this way to run it, you can find several SO Cal members to run it with you.

Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #14 of 92 Old 11-21-2008, 07:13 PM
Rock God

Well, I am pretty sure that BOXRCON is gonna be running Gold Mountain and John Bull on Friday. I will likely run those with him as well. Gold Mtn is a moderate trail, only 2 or 3 obstacles that are of any significates. John Bull, on the other hand, is a difficult trail. If you are less than 35” tires and moderate armor, some damage may occur. They are both fun trails. Let’s get a group together and run these trails. If you take it slow and easy, not a problem.

Ty…

Your Southern California wheelin' Attorney

post #15 of 92 Old 11-21-2008, 09:19 PM
JKO Addict!

scrogg- we run those trails all the time- they are fun, but your jk will walk right thru with no problem. Check out billygoat thread from a couple weeks ago for pics. Billy runs JB with stock Toy on 31s.

HUNDY
'11 VIRGIN 2 dr JK

MILITARY TIRES
Hi Tread MT 37x12.50x16.5 $150 ea!
post #16 of 92 Old 11-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100dollarman View Post
scrogg- we run those trails all the time- they are fun, but your jk will walk right thru with no problem. Check out billygoat thread from a couple weeks ago for pics. Billy runs JB with stock Toy on 31s.
Haha yeah, I'm the official trail barometer, If I can make it anybody can really.
After I read Scroggs sig I started laughing because he could take the hardest lines on all the Big Bear trails easily with all his mods.
If I can get some things fixed I might be up for this run too.
post #17 of 92 Old 11-21-2008, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat View Post
Haha yeah, I'm the official trail barometer, If I can make it anybody can really.
After I read Scroggs sig I started laughing because he could take the hardest lines on all the Big Bear trails easily with all his mods.
If I can get some things fixed I might be up for this run too.
Yeah, I have seen some of the video of you going on the trails. There were a couple that it looked as though you literally just gunned it and hoped for the best, very entertaining.

post #18 of 92 Old 11-22-2008, 12:16 AM
Granite Guru

Another SoCal visitor ...

I'll be in Escondido for Thanksgiving and would love to do a run with you guys - Friday, maybe Saturday. Like scrogg, I'm unfamiliar with the area and trails down there, but would be game for some good rock crawling.

I'll just need to convince the girls in my life to make the trip from up north in the JK instead of the roomier Tahoe!
post #19 of 92 Old 11-22-2008, 06:38 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrogg View Post
Yeah, I have seen some of the video of you going on the trails. There were a couple that it looked as though you literally just gunned it and hoped for the best, very entertaining.
Eh, more or less. I don't want to break anything but I have to keep up my momentum because my truck doesn't flex like a Jeep does. I can't drive over boulders, I have to go around them so yeah, It looks crazy.
post #20 of 92 Old 11-23-2008, 06:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100dollarman View Post
Stock 31's with a rock toy with a cooler rack on the back
post #21 of 92 Old 11-23-2008, 09:57 PM
Granite Guru

Well plans have changed and I will now be heading up to Big BEar for the weekend. I will be leaving Friday morning from San Diego to head that way (around 5 or 6).

So whos all going to be up there, and where you gona be??

post #22 of 92 Old 11-23-2008, 10:18 PM
Granite Guru

I'm still hoping to get the JK down there, and if so, I'd be open for something on Friday or Saturday.

How far are the Big Bear trails from Escondido?
post #23 of 92 Old 11-24-2008, 07:08 AM
Rock God

Garage
Post How Far to Big Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepThing View Post
I'm still hoping to get the JK down there, and if so, I'd be open for something on Friday or Saturday.

How far are the Big Bear trails from Escondido?
These are directions to Fawnskin on the north side of Big Bear Lake. There is a Fire Station there with a good meeting place that is very hard to miss. Note that you should have some tire chains with you as it is expected to snow all week. There are places to fill up with gas, but expect to pay Mountain Prices. I have to work on Friday Morning until til about 8 AM. But I'm up for some wheeling after that. PM me if you want to set up something.

Total Estimated Time: 2 hours 12 minutes
Total Estimated Distance: 115.32 miles

1: Start out going NORTHWEST on S ORANGE ST toward W GRAND AVE. 0.1 mi Map
2: Turn LEFT onto W VALLEY PKWY/CR-S6 S. 0.1 mi Map Avoid
3: Turn RIGHT onto N CENTRE CITY PKWY. 0.8 mi Map Avoid
4: Merge onto CA-78 W toward OCEANSIDE. 0.6 mi Map Avoid
5: Merge onto I-15 N toward RIVERSIDE. 31.4 mi Map Avoid
6: Keep RIGHT to take I-215 N toward RIVERSIDE/SAN BERNARDINO. 40.7 mi Map Avoid
7: Merge onto I-10 E toward REDLANDS. 5.4 mi Map Avoid
8: Merge onto CA-210 W toward JCT/CA-330/HIGHLAND. 4.7 mi Map Avoid
9: Merge onto CA-330 N toward MTN RESORTS. 15.5 mi Map Avoid
10: CA-330 N becomes CA-18/RIM OF THE WORLD HWY. 12.4 mi Map Avoid
11: Stay STRAIGHT to go onto CA-38/NORTH SHORE DR. 3.7 mi Map Avoid
12: Turn LEFT onto BROOKSIDE LN. 0.0 mi Map Avoid
13: Turn RIGHT to stay on BROOKSIDE LN. 0.1 mi Map Avoid
14: Turn RIGHT onto GREY BACK TRL. 0.0 mi Map Avoid
15: End at Fawnskin, CA

post #24 of 92 Old 11-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
These are directions to Fawnskin on the north side of Big Bear Lake. There is a Fire Station there with a good meeting place that is very hard to miss. Note that you should have some tire chains with you as it is expected to snow all week. There are places to fill up with gas, but expect to pay Mountain Prices. I have to work on Friday Morning until til about 8 AM. But I'm up for some wheeling after that. PM me if you want to set up something.
Thanks for the update and directions! Any idea how much snow they are expeciting this week?
post #25 of 92 Old 11-24-2008, 09:58 AM
Rock God

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepThing View Post
Thanks for the update and directions! Any idea how much snow they are expeciting this week?
http://www.bigbearlake.net/weather/

This is where I go to find the latest info on Big Bear Weather. Keep in mind that this is at the lake level (About 6000 Feet, but most of the trails are higher up to around 8000 feet.) It can get cold! Another option is Truckhaven. That is near the Salton Sea and is a large area with a lot of varied terrain and lots of open camping. The Salton Sea is a little below sea level and will be a bit warmer with NO Snow. The Areas around it are a little above sea level. It is about 130 mile drive there for me. You would be a little closer.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode