GA relocation advice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-10-2010, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
GA relocation advice

My brother is gonna be moving to the Atlanta area in the June timeframe.

Any suggestions of where to put down roots there? What areas are the best as far as the housing market, schools, etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-10-2010, 04:46 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

North suburbs. Alpharetta, Cumming are would be good.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Goodyear MTR Kevlar 35's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
2011 Grand Cherokee Overland, HEMI

- SOLD
post #3 of 16 Old 03-10-2010, 04:54 PM
Granite Guru

Garage
Send a message via AIM to NorthGAX Send a message via Yahoo to NorthGAX

I agree with BigMike. I live in near Cumming which is on the northern side of Atlanta. My question though would be what area will your brother be working. It would suck to live in Cumming and have to work at the airport.

Love you brother and you will always be my hero!

post #4 of 16 Old 03-10-2010, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'll have to find out. I'm not sure. He is with the Federal Highway Administration so I'm thinking I could probably Google it.

EDIT: Forsyth Street: Looks like dead center of Atlanta.

Quote:

Last edited by jeeperjkj; 03-10-2010 at 05:00 PM.
post #5 of 16 Old 03-10-2010, 05:19 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
EDIT: Forsyth Street: Looks like dead center of Atlanta.
Thee are a lot of new areas around down town for the young and single.
Just east of down town is a hot area with a lot of loft apartments/condo's etc. Shown on map link.

Have him join GA Trail Riders when he gets here.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...1&ie=UTF8&z=15

post #6 of 16 Old 03-10-2010, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

I guess I should've been clearer. I figured the schools comment was enough, but maybe not...

He's married, 3 kids (15, 9, and 7), and (maybe) a dog.

He'll be looking for a house most likely and he's not () a wheeler.

I'll keep that GA Trail Riders link in mind in case I ever visit him, though.

Quote:

post #7 of 16 Old 03-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Rock God

He's going to have quite a commute unless he can afford private schools. The places mentioned to the North are the places to be. NE, N, or NW.

post #8 of 16 Old 03-10-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

Please elaborate. Are the schools just that bad?

Quote:

post #9 of 16 Old 03-11-2010, 03:36 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeperjkj View Post
Please elaborate. Are the schools just that bad?
In the Atlanta school system? Worse. Do a little research.

post #10 of 16 Old 03-11-2010, 06:00 AM
Rock God

Just a thought,how is the area near Oglethorpe University? It always seemed like a nice area to me.

'08 Rubicon UL Red Rock(SOLD)
'83 CJ-7
post #11 of 16 Old 03-11-2010, 06:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

If they don't like big city life and he can stand the 3/4 - 1 hour commute, another vote for upper Alpharetta, Cumming or move just a little farther north to Dawsonville.

EDIT> found a cool link... http://atlantahomestore.com/dawsonville.html
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRANGLERV8 View Post
Just a thought,how is the area near Oglethorpe University? It always seemed like a nice area to me.
My mil had a rental house near there (Brookhaven) until a few years ago. Seems like a decent area as it has improved over the last several years. But it is still Atlanta. Depends on whether the bro & family prefer city life or not.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.

Last edited by gold knight; 03-11-2010 at 09:33 AM.
post #12 of 16 Old 03-11-2010, 09:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Alpharetta or Cumming to Downtown is a common commute and isn't bad IF you don't leave during rush hour. When I commuted from Roswel (one city south of Alpharetta), I left early, went to the gym, then to work.

, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Goodyear MTR Kevlar 35's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
2011 Grand Cherokee Overland, HEMI

- SOLD
post #13 of 16 Old 03-11-2010, 09:29 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

There is also a commuter train that runs from Cumming all the way to downtown Atlanta. You will make okay time since it drives on the shoulder of GA-400.

post #14 of 16 Old 03-11-2010, 09:39 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAX View Post
There is also a commuter train that runs from Cumming all the way to downtown Atlanta. You will make okay time since it drives on the shoulder of GA-400.
You mean from lower Roswell right? Might be a bus that will take you to the train

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #15 of 16 Old 03-26-2010, 03:54 AM
Rock God

Garage

I just moved to Atlanta from FL. I settled near Ogothrop University (Think north side of town, but inside the highway that circles Atlanta). It's a neighborhood area that feels like a small community but in the heart of big city. It takes me 15 minutes to get to work which is next to the Lenox Mall.

The public school is suppose to be good. Lots of private schools.

You might find a house for 300K, but most are 400+. Renting is easy right now - you can get a 3000 sqft 4 bedroom for $1900/month if you negotiate and look hard.

Hope that helps.

- Ruskin
2.5"Tera, 34"Maxxis, Front Stubby, Cobra75, Flapless Seatbelts & Grounded Floormats
post #16 of 16 Old 03-26-2010, 05:05 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
You mean from lower Roswell right? Might be a bus that will take you to the train
No, there is a commuter bus that runs from exit 14 on GA-400 and goes all the way to downtown.

http://www.xpressga.com/index.php?op...d=66&Itemid=75

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode