READ THIS BEFORE WHEELING IN THE PINE BARRENS! - Page 2 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #26 of 40 Old 05-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Rock God

I threw this post together a few weeks ago. I did it because I have consistently watched people on this site kill their vehicles, either very fast or to a slow death. I thought if I did something like this it could help save some people some money and some aggravation in the long road. Not trying to sound full of myself, but I believe I have spent more times in the pines than most. I have been down the road back and forth a couple times. Anything I can do to help peopel I do. I appreciate the fact that IMG5819 stickied this and hope it helps someone down the road. Sorry I don't believe in the Pirate type attitude.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #27 of 40 Old 05-15-2010, 10:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

Yea so im that guy that flooded my transmission about a year ago.. drove it a hundred miles with strawberry nesquick in it until I could get it flushed properly...

It has been 25,000 miles since, and my transmission works flawlessly

Heres the trans fluid the next day after a ~100 mile drive on it..

I know that water couldnt have been a good thing.. but so far so good..

Thank Jeep for lifetime powertrain warranties

no jeep here...

Last edited by Racer83l; 05-15-2010 at 10:45 AM.
post #28 of 40 Old 05-17-2010, 04:21 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer83l View Post

Thank Jeep for lifetime powertrain warranties

I hear ya on that You may get lucky with your trans. it should last well over 200000 miles. Guess time will tell. but with the warranty it don't matter too much.
post #29 of 40 Old 07-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Wheeler

Crap.

I'm a noob with only 2 PB trips under my belt and am now a little nervous about screwing up my beloved JK. Can you give me some basic tips on where I should grease (description) and how I go about doing these preventative steps?
post #30 of 40 Old 07-13-2010, 07:02 AM
Rock God

Don't be nervous, be anxious to get your jeep ready.
look under the front end at all of your steering components and look for grease fittings at the tierod ends and ball joints at the knuckle of each axle. (are you familar with what grease fittings look like?) Also your axle joints and driveshaft ujoints. This is easy preventitive maintance. Now you may realize your components don't have grease fittings. Under this case I would personally drill and tap a hole and insert my own fittings on the tie rod ends. Some people may not feel comfortable with this, if not wait untill they need replacing and replace them with MOOG parts. MOOG parts have fittings ready to go. As far as U-joints go (both Axle and D-shaft) sometimes they have regular fittings, sometimes inverted in which you need an attacment for your grease gun, sometimes nothing. Sometimes the fittings are in the cross of the joint sometimes on the caps. When you replace these over time, don't skimp out on the cheaper ones. Also I don't care what anyone has to say a non greasable is JUNK in my view, esp. for the Pine Barrens. Now heres one of the famous things I hear "My vehicle is still under warranty , I'm going to get whatever they give me". Now thats fine, I understand trying to save some money esp if youre broke like my sorry ass. However please keep in mind, weould you raver save a few bucks or would you rather have yopur day of wheeling shortened from something as gay as a u-joint.Me personally, the only way my day is going to end early is if I blow a ring and pinion, snap an axle shafty, blow a motor, cook a tranny, or roll my vehicle and get swamp ass to the fullest extent.

Hopes this helps on the greasey end of the spectrum. maybe a jkowner can tell this guy exactly what points are greasable on JK factory parts. I wrote this up not being a JK owner due to the fact that every vehicle that goes in the pines needs the same exact things done. Jeep ,Hummer,Rover, Ford, Chevy, Yugo. It don't matter.

if you need anymore info, give me a call whenever you want 856 207 0816.
Don't let thgis thread scare you away from the pines, use it as a tool to help you threw the pines.

Last edited by mudboy; 07-13-2010 at 07:05 AM.
post #31 of 40 Old 07-14-2010, 04:57 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to jsebastian

I crawled under the front end of my Jeep one day, grease gun in hand. To my surprise, I couldn't find a single zerk fitting. I've got a 2010 JK.

John

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #32 of 40 Old 07-14-2010, 05:45 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsebastian View Post
I crawled under the front end of my Jeep one day, grease gun in hand. To my surprise, I couldn't find a single zerk fitting. I've got a 2010 JK.
Just get a needle fitting for your grease gun and get to pokin some holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #33 of 40 Old 10-20-2011, 11:42 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper41 View Post
That's it then. Barb and I are done with the Pines since the Jeep is our only ride right now. Can't afford to have it go down!!! I thought being "trail rated" it could handle that stuff?
Very cute, honey, since you made me put that truck in my name. Did you forget the Jeep is in my name too? And the insuransce as well. No, you planned it well.... We will lead another epic run come hell AND high water!!!

Doesn't matter what you have, it's who you're with.

Jersey Crew
post #34 of 40 Old 11-19-2011, 06:21 PM
Wheeler

Ive got a 2010 also and can't find any fittings, also that lifetime power train warranty? ended with the 09s from 2010 on it's a 5 yr (I think, definitely not lifetime though).
post #35 of 40 Old 01-08-2012, 07:55 PM

Does any one know where I can get the breath tubes for my trans I have the snorkel.
post #36 of 40 Old 01-08-2012, 08:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Fuel line from a auto parts store. Assume u have an automatic?

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #37 of 40 Old 10-17-2012, 08:06 AM
Wheeler

Hey guys. I have an 09, and can't find any grease zerks either. I bought the grease gun needle attachment, but don't know where I should be "pokin' holes". Any help?

You run disco right?
post #38 of 40 Old 11-02-2014, 08:43 PM
Wheeler

This entire post has made me want to avoid the PB's all together.

2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
post #39 of 40 Old 11-03-2014, 12:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant92083 View Post
This entire post has made me want to avoid the PB's all together.
First of all, understand that most of the people who posted in this thread are the kind who will hit every hole. There are a few legal spots where you can get into deep water, but for the most part, the Pine Barrens offer a network of unpaved sand roads you could drive in a minivan or even family sedan without major problems.

It all depends on what your idea of a good time is when out wheeling. Aside from the mud holes and occasional loose/sugar sand, you could drive around all day in 2WD without concern. When there is water, if you're a sane person and don't know the terrain well, you need to get out and check to see how deep and whether there's any bogged-out ruts. This means wearing high, waterproof boots or getting your feet wet (I usually opt for the latter). If you are stock, anything over 12" deep with a solid bottom should be avoided. Use 4WD Low, disable ESP and drive slowly through water without causing a splash, and slowly add power as you feel resistance. Airing down your tires will help with traction and smooth out the ride. You don't need to raise your breathers (though it's easy and a good idea) and you definitely don't need a snorkel if you use your head.

The Pine Barrens isn't the only place that will cause you to do maintenance on your rig. Whether you're banging and dragging over rocks or splashing through muddy water, you need to get underneath and clean off the mud, sand, dirt, whatever you pickup while wheeling, grease what needs to be greased, and check/adjust what needs to be adjusted. On a stock Jeep there's not much that needs greasing/adjusting, but on a lifted Jeep you've got jam nuts, pinch nuts, rod ends/flex joints, sway links and other things that need to be checked, periodically tightened and greased. If you don't do this on a regular basis -- at least once every three months or so -- you're going to wear out or break something before it's due.

There's lots of quite, isolated and often beautiful scenery in the Pines. There's also a lot of historic ruins and barely visible ghost towns. If you're driving through the Pines and see a grassy meadow, chances are excellent that used to be a town 70 or more years ago, especially if it is near running water. Iron furnaces, mills, cranberry and blueberry farms, paper mills, spas, resorts, even a ranch once dotted the landscape. Now all that's left are open fields, maybe the ruins of a furnace or foundation, rock walls, almost buried slag heaps and abandoned bogs.

In present day, the Pine Barrens supports a wide variety of unique plants and animals. It is a favorite place for bird watchers and geocachers. There are several species of wild orchids and carnivorous plants.

If you like crawling rocks, hill climbs, technical wheeling, the Pine Barrens isn't the place for that. But if you just want to spend a pleasant day in the woods with your Jeep and some friends, it's not a bad place to go for a day trip or even a weekend camp out.

I'm a JKO Reject

Last edited by BumpInTheRoad; 11-03-2014 at 12:41 AM.
post #40 of 40 Old 11-05-2014, 11:32 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
If you like crawling rocks, hill climbs, technical wheeling, the Pine Barrens isn't the place for that. But if you just want to spend a pleasant day in the woods with your Jeep and some friends, it's not a bad place to go for a day trip or even a weekend camp out.
Very interesting. Maybe I won't avoid the PBs but I'll enjoy the semi rugged trails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode