Only 3 bearing cups on my stub axle..Cool right? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-15-2011, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Only 3 bearing cups on my stub axle..Cool right?

So I walked out of the RV/Boat show and happened to look at my driver side stub axle, an I see one shaft of the U-Joint staring at me with no cup on it. A closer look and I see the needles all over the lower C. FUCK!~ I guess I know what I will be doing tomorrow. Good thing it didn't frag on the trip home from Pleasanton.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

.....its time to go insane.........Cages, Bumpers/Stingers, Sliders, and Skids
Check us out on FaceBook
Home of the Full 10 Point, custom 5150 Fabrication cage. "PATENT PENDING DESIGN"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-15-2011, 08:38 PM
Rock God

Good catch! Loosing the joint is a sure fire way of losing the shaft. If you have a Rubicon I have my stock shafts if you need to borrow one.
post #3 of 18 Old 01-15-2011, 08:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Werent we just discussing tacking those in......damn that sucks. Anyways tack the new ones. Until you can get them tacked, peen the ears in. Hit the ears with a small hard object (a counter punch works well) right at the cap edge to create a small dimpled lip. It actually works rather well until you can get the new ones tacked in.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #4 of 18 Old 01-15-2011, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
Good catch! Loosing the joint is a sure fire way of losing the shaft. If you have a Rubicon I have my stock shafts if you need to borrow one.
Thanks bro..but I have an X. I'm gonna slam in some new ones tomorrow and just tack them in. Wasn't how I planned my Sunday but could be worse, I could be buying new shafts.

Check us out on FaceBook
Home of the Full 10 Point, custom 5150 Fabrication cage. "PATENT PENDING DESIGN"
post #5 of 18 Old 01-16-2011, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Those F'n 12pt bolts that retain the stub axle are pieces of shit! Anybody have an idea on where i can pick a couple up? Couldn't find them at the local auto parts store

Check us out on FaceBook
post #6 of 18 Old 01-16-2011, 07:45 PM
JEEP...its my way of life!!!

talking about the unit bearing bolts? 3 on back side?... I have a few if thats what they are you need

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
now just kicking it as a civilian
I served so your lazy ass didnt have to
post #7 of 18 Old 01-16-2011, 10:25 PM
Rock God

You wont find them with the 12 point heads, but you should be able to find some that are the same diameter and thread count.
post #8 of 18 Old 01-17-2011, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by THECHAD View Post
talking about the unit bearing bolts? 3 on back side?... I have a few if thats what they are you need
Those are the ones..Totally trashed two of them. I'm going to try and find some Grade 8 bolts withe same threads and legnth. Problem is, the factory ones have a shoulder on them near the head of the bold. I wasn't able to find any right away but I will check a couple more places on Friday...If not....I might hit u up?

Check us out on FaceBook
post #9 of 18 Old 01-17-2011, 05:39 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGROCZ View Post
Those are the ones..Totally trashed two of them. I'm going to try and find some Grade 8 bolts withe same threads and legnth. Problem is, the factory ones have a shoulder on them near the head of the bold. I wasn't able to find any right away but I will check a couple more places on Friday...If not....I might hit u up?
Oh thats right, they do have the shoulder. Which is needed to center the hub properly. Finding some that have the same shoulder will be tough.
post #10 of 18 Old 01-17-2011, 08:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGROCZ View Post
Go to Fastenal. I have had good luck getting anything I need from them. Remeber the bolt is metric but you should be able to get the same 12pnt metric/thread ( think it is an M12x1.5, but I am not sure) in a black phosphate coating for about $3.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #11 of 18 Old 01-17-2011, 08:50 PM

If you just give me your address i'll send you a few. RCV gave me all new ones, so I should have between 3-6 in my tool bag..

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
post #12 of 18 Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
If you just give me your address i'll send you a few. RCV gave me all new ones, so I should have between 3-6 in my tool bag..

Paul Cheever
456 Linnell Ave.
San Leandro, CA. 94578

THANKS BRO!

Check us out on FaceBook
post #13 of 18 Old 01-19-2011, 09:16 PM

will ship tomorrow

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
post #14 of 18 Old 01-20-2011, 10:51 PM

3 bolts sent UPS today

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
post #15 of 18 Old 01-21-2011, 09:01 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
3 bolts sent UPS today
right on

Check us out on FaceBook
post #16 of 18 Old 01-21-2011, 07:45 PM
Rock God

Note to self....when shipping stuff don't pack the address in the box.
post #17 of 18 Old 01-21-2011, 11:25 PM

LOL

18 BRAVO
panama
kuwait
somalia
bosnia
cuba
post #18 of 18 Old 01-22-2011, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Chad you rock...Got the bolts yesterday and trhew them in and know I have a spare for the trail box...Got a for ya when we hook at for a run. Oh yeah, and a when the springs hit!

Check us out on FaceBook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode