Any Nor Cal pees have your Amateur Radio License? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 50 Old 01-03-2011, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Any Nor Cal peeps have your Amateur Radio License?

Anyone up here run Tech or General License? Anyone actually use it when wheeling up here?

Forgot to say, I will be testing Jan 22 if anyone wants to go get their license. Is $30 and lasts from 8-5

Last edited by Sludge Puppy; 01-29-2011 at 05:02 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Old 01-03-2011, 10:00 PM
Rock God

KF6UIO. I am a Tech with plans to upgrade to General when my son goes for Tech. I have used it a few times but only a few people I run with have a ticket. I need to get a dash mount this spring because the handy is tough to operate and drive. But I do love it more than a CB.

Last edited by Eugene; 01-03-2011 at 10:06 PM.
post #3 of 50 Old 01-03-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

You keep a radio in the jeep? I keep thinking about putting a system in mine but have not seen any one else running up here! Used to be great to be in LA and yap with the boys at the hammers
post #4 of 50 Old 01-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Rock God

Won't necessarily keep it in the Jeep, but have a removable mobile installed. You get more power, and you can yak with people all over the place. Went to do the Mojave Rd last year with a buddy who has an ICOM moble, and he was talking with people all over CA and NV. Said it made the long drive interesting.
post #5 of 50 Old 01-03-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I was thinking with cuts crew how some of them couldnt find the others with the CB if they ran on 10 band they would have been able to actually talk to them. Plus like you mentioned there is always someone on the air wanting to yap
post #6 of 50 Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 PM
JKO Addict!

I need to learn more about these Bacon Radios. I do not like not knowing about shit.

Someone spill it.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #7 of 50 Old 01-03-2011, 11:24 PM
Rock God

Go here http://www.arrl.org/ . This should help some.
post #8 of 50 Old 01-04-2011, 12:52 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sludge Puppy View Post
I was thinking with cuts crew how some of them couldnt find the others with the CB if they ran on 10 band they would have been able to actually talk to them. Plus like you mentioned there is always someone on the air wanting to yap
Well our case should have gone differently in all reality....like leaving at the same time, waiting for the person behind you, stuff like that! However I knew leaving the "meetup spot" the ones staying weren't coming with us! I'm not mad or anything.....so don't take that wrong.

"CUTTS CREW"
"08 2 Door X-Fox Coilovers-Custom MC ended Long Arm w/ 8" Rear Stretch-40" ProComp MT2-ProRock 44 Unlimited-ARB Front/Rear Locker-5.13's-Custom VKS Rock Rails-Chopped Fenders-ARB Compressor-Overkill Corners Customized-PSC Hood Louver-PSC BFH Trail Stinger
post #9 of 50 Old 01-04-2011, 12:55 AM
JKO Addict!

By the way.....love the title!!! PEES....Yes I know what you mean but it's way funner to make fun of you!!

"CUTTS CREW"
"08 2 Door X-Fox Coilovers-Custom MC ended Long Arm w/ 8" Rear Stretch-40" ProComp MT2-ProRock 44 Unlimited-ARB Front/Rear Locker-5.13's-Custom VKS Rock Rails-Chopped Fenders-ARB Compressor-Overkill Corners Customized-PSC Hood Louver-PSC BFH Trail Stinger
post #10 of 50 Old 01-04-2011, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

ha, nor cal pees! oops
post #11 of 50 Old 01-04-2011, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Eugene, you should upgrade to General on the 22nd, you will spend 8 hours studying up then take the test. 45 minute study, 15 minute break from 9-4 plus lunch from 1130-1.

If anyone is interested, let me know.
post #12 of 50 Old 01-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Eugene, you should upgrade to General on the 22nd, you will spend 8 hours studying up then take the test. 45 minute study, 15 minute break from 9-4 plus lunch from 1130-1.

I am thinking about it, the only issue is my son has a soccer game that day and I hate to miss it.

Do they do it later in the year??

Cutts Crew

Quote:
Orginal Quote from cjcraig7 "Every time I hang out with you Cutts fucks, one of you inevitably gets pissed and vandalizes my shit."
post #13 of 50 Old 01-04-2011, 11:09 AM
Rock God

Garage

I've used a sideband for years as a trucker, but really found no use for it on a local level. I haven't found to many Pees who use it around here but it is Pretty cool talking with someone from another state though. My radio is way to damn big to install in the jeep.

W6FJK

post #14 of 50 Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post
I need to learn more about these Bacon Radios. I do not like not knowing about shit.

Someone spill it.

RC
Hmmmmmm Interesting!!!!

W6FJK

post #15 of 50 Old 01-04-2011, 11:19 AM
Rock God

Quote:

I'm interested. Do you have any more details? I here they are changing the questions soon.
post #16 of 50 Old 01-04-2011, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

http://www.baears.com/index.php?opti...inar&Itemid=59

here is some more information for you pees. There is another date in April. You can always find a local club to get a sponsor and learn at your pace. This just makes it easier as you cram in one day to be able to pass the test. The process is basically to go over the test questions to get them in your head so you will recognize the right answer on the test. Having some experience with Electric and knowing a little about waves is helpful so they make sense.

The Tech questions are good until July 2014

Last edited by Sludge Puppy; 01-04-2011 at 02:08 PM.
post #17 of 50 Old 01-04-2011, 01:19 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Marisa and I are both signed up for this day. She will be working on her tech and I will be pushing through to General Class. There are 36 spots left, fyi
post #18 of 50 Old 01-05-2011, 04:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Must all pees that want to learn/test, already have/own a bacon box? Or can you take the course/test without it???

Please advise.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #19 of 50 Old 01-05-2011, 10:17 AM
Rock God

RC, ownerhip of a 'bacon box' is not necessary to obtain a liscense. In fact it is usually get the liscense then get the radio.
post #20 of 50 Old 01-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Orange Jeep

Garage

I've been thinking about doing this for a while. I just don't know how much I'd actually use it.

Info:

|
post #21 of 50 Old 01-05-2011, 10:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
I've been thinking about doing this for a while. I just don't know how much I'd actually use it.
Again why!! You can't carry it while snowboarding....

I'm having a ton of fun talking shit....BlueBerry!!

"CUTTS CREW"
post #22 of 50 Old 01-05-2011, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Rick, like he mentioned most, probably 99% learn and take the test then buy the radios as it is illegal to use the Amateur radio without a license. I have friends that got their license then years later got the radio. It is a nice thing to know how to use as when emergencies hit and you do not have power or cell towers, you can still use this.

When you know how to use the repeaters, you guys can be on the rubicon and I can talk to you from the city. Pretty cool when you think about it, Can you hear me now YEP
post #23 of 50 Old 01-05-2011, 12:52 PM
Rock God

tempting.... but im LAZY!
post #24 of 50 Old 01-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Wheeler

Shameless plug

KJ6DMD.
I sure wish more pees were using them because CB's just SUCK!!
There really is no comparison. One can talk across the entire Rubicon, call in the marines if needed (i.e. 911), or talk to buddies before they leave their house (i.e. bring replacement parts to fix that broken junk).

Sure its a plug to drum up interest that is only matched by a hate-hate relationship with my CB.
post #25 of 50 Old 01-05-2011, 01:43 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeeperDude View Post
KJ6DMD.
I sure wish more pees were using them because CB's just SUCK!!
There really is no comparison. One can talk across the entire Rubicon, call in the marines if needed (i.e. 911), or talk to buddies before they leave their house (i.e. bring replacement parts to fix that broken junk).

Sure its a plug to drum up interest that is only matched by a hate-hate relationship with my CB.
well how hard is this test? and how much does it cost to get my jeep hooked up?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode