Broken Left Leg & RROR Tube Fender Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 111 Old 06-05-2010, 06:54 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Broken Left Leg & RROR Tube Fender Install

Hey everybody, I haven't fallen off the face of the planet, instead I BROKE MY LEFT LEG!

This has delayed my drivetrain upgrades, bc I can't very well manipulate installing front ends and the like with one leg!

I am planning hopping around and installing my RROR Tube Fenders tomorrow, but know I'm going to be limited, since they haven't released me from the hospital yet. If anyone is down for coming up to Brentwood, CA to aid in the fender install, and hang for a bit, I would like that. Just PM me (or local NorCal guys can text), if you're interested.

Thanks!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 111 Old 06-05-2010, 06:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Damn Dood..... get well soon and get some help with tha chit instead of hobbling around by yourself.
post #3 of 111 Old 06-05-2010, 08:35 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
Damn Dood..... get well soon and get some help with tha chit instead of hobbling around by yourself.
x2 be careful hobbling around

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #4 of 111 Old 06-05-2010, 04:26 PM
JKO Addict!

My son has football signups tomorrow at noon. I could drive over and lend a hand after. Maybe 1:30 or 2:00 pm. Email or pm your address and I'll be there. Sorry to hear about your broken leg.
post #5 of 111 Old 06-07-2010, 11:47 AM
JKO Addict!

I guess I am a little late on the reply. Sorry to hear about the leg. Just let me know if you need anything, did you get the fenders on??

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #6 of 111 Old 06-07-2010, 03:04 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to Marcy

Sorry to hear about your leg! I would offer help but I'd just be more of a pain than I would be of any actual help.
post #7 of 111 Old 06-07-2010, 09:07 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks to everyone, for the good wishes on the leg, and for several offers to help! I really, really, appreciate it!

RubiRob came by, and was a huge help! Rob and Gib (my roommate and mechanical partner on projects) attacked the project, while I felt guilty sitting on lawn chairs with my leg propped up trying to keep myself from jumping in! Man I wanted to work on it too!

The RROR fenders are truly a piece of art, when it comes to craftsmanship. Unfortunately the directions weren't the best, so that slowed us down quite a bit. We managed to get all of the factory fenders off (saving almost all of the retaining clips), and successfully installed the REAR fenders.

The fronts still remain, and need to be installed, now that I have some insight from Kenny on the process.

ROB: Are you available to swing back out tomorrow afternoon after work??? Gib is off work tomorrow, and said he would be down to knock out the fronts, now that we have the blueprint on how to install them.

I think these fenders are going to look wicked, especially with the brand new 37x13.50x17 Toyos I just put on it!

Thanks everybody, talk soon!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #8 of 111 Old 06-08-2010, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
I guess I am a little late on the reply. Sorry to hear about the leg. Just let me know if you need anything, did you get the fenders on??
Yes, today, the second day of installation, after some coordination with Kenny on installation instructions, and help from RubiRob and my roommate Gib, the fenders are finally installed.

Rob, thank you so much for coming up to help install these things, as I know they were a pain in the ass to install. As I said, just like Don Vito Corleone, "I know how to return a favor..."

These River Raider Off-Road narrow-width tube fenders are solid, and look great on my rig. They were just an enormous pita to install. It took two guys and a supervisor w/ a broken leg (me), roughly 11 hours to install all four of them, and we almost destroyed my factory electrical wiring harness in the process of the drilling the required holes!

...BUT that's okay, because these things are on, they look bitchin', and they give me dump-truck loads of clearance! Now..., moving onto the lift and drivetrain...

Again, many thanks to RubiRob for your assistance!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #9 of 111 Old 06-08-2010, 10:36 PM
JKO Addict!

Not a problem. I enjoyed meeting everyone and lending a hand. I like the look of the River Raider flares too. I had a good time hanging out with you and Gib. Gib is freakin funny.

Rob
post #10 of 111 Old 06-09-2010, 02:27 PM

I think a Carnegie trip needs to be planned!
post #11 of 111 Old 06-09-2010, 07:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post

It would be an honor to meet a TV Star
post #12 of 111 Old 06-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post
Hey everybody, I haven't fallen off the face of the planet, instead I BROKE MY LEFT LEG!

This has delayed my drivetrain upgrades, bc I can't very well manipulate installing front ends and the like with one leg!

I am planning hopping around and installing my RROR Tube Fenders tomorrow, but know I'm going to be limited, since they haven't released me from the hospital yet. If anyone is down for coming up to Brentwood, CA to aid in the fender install, and hang for a bit, I would like that. Just PM me (or local NorCal guys can text), if you're interested.

Thanks!

RC
I know how you feel Dude, I broke my leg 5 weeks ago and I still have another 6 to 8 weeks to go before I get a boot to walk in. I have parts laying all over the house right now, I'm hitting up some friends this week end to help out also. Here's a pic of how they fixed my leg and ankle... get well soon bro!!!!

Kevin M.
2008 JK Sahara Unlimited, 3.8L, 3.5" Rubicon Express lift with (5) 35/70R17s' BFG KM2s' on Pro Comp Xtreme Alloys 7069 Series, Red Rock, Crystal Pearl, Galaxy CB Radio, Hella FF lights, Smittybilt XRC front and rear bumpers, Xenon Flat Fenders, 12K Mile Marker winch, front and rear Rugged Ridge diff guards, Mopar slush mats, and Vision X led rock lights, IPF 920H4 JK Headlights, Superchips flashpac, River Raider rock sliders, front/rear Coast 1310 driveshafts

post #13 of 111 Old 06-09-2010, 07:42 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
Not a problem. I enjoyed meeting everyone and lending a hand. I like the look of the River Raider flares too. I had a good time hanging out with you and Gib. Gib is freakin funny.

Rob
Rob, oh there is no doubt that Gib is funny... Sometimes his wild stories crack me up!

Quote:
Marcy, I think that is a great idea! Although I'll need to wait a bit, due to the broken leg...

On another note, I was messaging Rob to see if we he thought of maybe all of us NorCal JKOers, getting a Rubicon run together for late August, September, or early October. My thought was that we could all set a date, plan well in advance, and it would give some of us (no name's mentioned) time to heal their "wounds", and of course give everyone plenty of time to stockpile funds, supplies, and do any mods' that may be in the cards over the next few months.

I'm relatively new to the NorCal JKO group, so I know that you veterans may know more people that should come, but I was thinking of the following for sure:
  • Marcy
  • Me (cruzcode)
  • RubiRobv
  • 09Rubicon
  • geekguy
  • Eugene
  • sbron
  • toadintheroad
  • Any other JKOers that want to join, or that should come!

Just think! This could be freaking awesome, if we all plan out well in advance for this, save up, get our mods' done, etc.

Let me know what you and all of the other NorCal-ers think of this, because I think it could be great!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|

Last edited by cruzcode; 06-10-2010 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Because how could I leave out Alan!!! These pain meds are affecting my thinking!
post #14 of 111 Old 06-09-2010, 07:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Finally getting a NorCal Crew together. I've been waiting for two years. I'm so freakin happy man
post #15 of 111 Old 06-09-2010, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Proud Rebel,

Wow. Let me say that again... Wow. Well, from one injured leg JK wheeler to another, I feel you...

My situation was that I broke the tib and the fib (one above the ankle, and the other below the knee). What was worse, is that I had "compartment syndrome", where the swelling fills up the four 'compartments' in the lower leg, and cuts of blood flow to the muscle, bone, and nerves. It was in a splint, and I wasn't going to get surgery until the next day. Fortunately, I had a great surgeon, who was called in, because although I was in pain, it was extra-ordinary pain, and according to the surgeon, it was abnormal. They did some checking, felt this, grazed that, and determined I had compartment syndrome.

If they had not caught this, by morning, they would have had to amputate the bottom portion of my left leg! Wow, so I am so completely thankful (up above), and to the surgeon for figuring this out, and essentially saving my leg. I have 2 weeks with my leg up over my heart to reduce swelling, then another 8 weeks on crutches and no load-bearing on that leg, followed by another 10 weeks of no exercise, running, or weight-training on the leg either. FUN.

Anyway, sorry to hear about your break, get better soon, and happy wheeling, as soon as possible!

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #16 of 111 Old 06-09-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Finally getting a NorCal Crew together. I've been waiting for two years. I'm so freakin happy man
SWEET!!!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #17 of 111 Old 06-09-2010, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Can the meetings be held at Donut Wheel?

Quote:
It would be an honor to meet a TV Star
I would hardly call Mr. Jerome a TV star
post #18 of 111 Old 06-10-2010, 09:04 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I am game (when I am in town that is). Just let me know when and where!!!

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #19 of 111 Old 06-10-2010, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
I am game (when I am in town that is). Just let me know when and where!!!
Scott, you do realize that it will completely unacceptable to the group, if while we're all halfway through the Rubicon together, a Blackhawk Helicopter drops down a rope ladder, and pulls you away for an assignment, right???

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #20 of 111 Old 06-10-2010, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

APOLOGY: I have to apologize to Alan a.k.a. "GeekGuy" for not including him in the bulleted NorCal list above. I have since made the edit, and added him in!!! Alan and his rig are awesome, and these freaking pain meds that they have me on for my leg, are not allowing me to think clearly!!!

Sorry Alan, can't wait to get together with you again!

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #21 of 111 Old 06-10-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post
Marcy, I think that is a great idea! Although I'll need to wait a bit, due to the broken leg...
If you're able to drive out there, you can ride in my Jeep for the day.
post #22 of 111 Old 06-10-2010, 03:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Looks like a mostly stock JK would still be able to have fun out there eh?
Would only be an hour and a half to get there. Let me know when
post #23 of 111 Old 06-10-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
If you're able to drive out there, you can ride in my Jeep for the day.
Sounds good! Maybe I can in a couple of weeks, in this case.

This would be the wounded wheeler that you'd be carrying around... Fortunately, I have shaved since the hospital...

RC
Attached Images

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #24 of 111 Old 06-10-2010, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord5 View Post
Looks like a mostly stock JK would still be able to have fun out there eh?
Would only be an hour and a half to get there. Let me know when
Yes, a stock JK will make up and down the step climb, the frame twister, and possibly the rock climb. I witnessed a stock, Toyota SUV (I believe) go up the step climb, with some driving and finesse, and he did a great job.

Either way, you can bring it out, and get a better feel about your JK, which can lead you toward what you wish to modify first.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #25 of 111 Old 06-10-2010, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkob1060 View Post
x2 be careful hobbling around

I took the advice from both of you, and took on some much needed help from RubiRob and my roommate. It was much safer.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode