Swamp Lake trail - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 06-02-2010, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Swamp Lake trail

I want to make this run with a bunch of guys with CJ5's, and would like to know if my stock suspension/tire JK will be abme to handle it. Front and rear bumpers, sliders, and winch, and I can drive pretty well.

I am not worried about scratches, minor dings, or beating the crap out of my sliders (it's why I put them on)

I am worried about breaking something expensive, flopping, or major body damage.

So what say ye?

And please, NO suggestions that I need 35's and blah blah blah. I am a college student on a budget

Think of it as your Jeep, could you make it through, as is?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-02-2010, 11:54 PM
JKO Addict!

Swamp lake is rated difficult. I haven't run it but I would like to. With your stock setup, I'd think you'd be beating the crap out of your under carriage. Do you have traction ( lockers) ? That'll help with smaller tires otherwise it'll be a struggle. Not saying you can't do it, but it'll be slow going and you'll probably do some rock stacking. You won't be able to keep up with rigs that have bigger tires, lift and traction. I think traction and skid protection would be priority one.

Now, if your CJ buddies have open diffs and 31" tires then you'll all be going slow.

I took my Rubi Unlimited out to Hollister when it was bone stock. Two weeks later, I had a lift and 37" tires.

Just my 2 pennies
post #3 of 9 Old 06-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Rock God

Stock tires as in street tires??? No. You will have trouble and will probably end up broken on the trail. When are you planning on doing it??? It probably won't open until after the 4th of July. Lots of snow.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH SHAFFERS OFFROAD. YOU WILL BE SORRY YOU DID..
post #4 of 9 Old 06-04-2010, 07:10 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

The "all terrain" tires that came stock on the 2009 X

That's what I needed to know, Ill opt out till I can get some real tires.
post #5 of 9 Old 06-04-2010, 08:31 PM
Granite Guru

I ran swamp last year all I had done was 3" lift and 35's. I have a rubicon but I didn't have any additional skids or anything.

I made it pretty well. Only had to get tugged once. I beat the crap out of my undercarriage, but didn't break anything but beat my diffs up and rested on my driveshaft more than once. I would say that you're going to be hitting a lot with stock ride height and you're going to be stacking a lot or getting pulled a lot.

I would say that a stock jeep "could" do it, but it'll be a rough day and you better be really good friends with those CJs becuase you're going to be depending on them

2009 Rubicon Unlimited, FLAME RED
37's on WE beadlocks. ProRock44 w/ARB, RCVs, spyntecs, PSC hydro assist. Rear D44 w/35 spline ARB. 4.5" Poly/TF lift.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-04-2010, 11:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I ran it last year with 37"s and a 4 door! It is a rough trail and use caution.

2014 Rubicon on the build!
post #7 of 9 Old 06-19-2010, 03:13 AM
Wheeler

Ran it with m brother last year its a tough trail and I would not recommend doing it stock.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-19-2010, 09:43 PM
Granite Guru

Sounds like fun. I might be up for this one.

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #9 of 9 Old 06-20-2010, 09:54 PM
VKS Fab

Its pretty gnarly, I'd stay away until ya get a little more setup. Try red lake, brewer, or spanish. You'll have a lot better/eaiser time in a stock vehicle. But hey, you can always try!

Handmade One At A Time
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GIVE US A CALL 559-392-3145
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode