Mod Friendly Dealer? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 05-25-2010, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to DiscoBayJoe
Mod Friendly Dealer?

Does Anyone have any good experiences with a Mod Friendly Dealer?

My 08 Rubi Unlimited 6-Speed has been popping out of first gear. Its got a 3.5" Rock Krawler Kit & 35' MTR's on Black Soft 8's. I really like the agressive look, but i'm afraid the look is going to throw up a red flag for service under the lifetime drivetrain warranty. I had a suburban with 38's and when I blew a tranny seal (towing a boat over the altimont at 80mph) the dealer told me they'd fix that one, but my extended warranty was void from there on.

I definitly don't want a repeat of that situation. Ideally if anyone has experience with a dealer around Modesto/Stockton/Manteca,Tracy that'd be great! I'd take it anywhere in the Bay Area or Sac if there was a dealer that really stood out.

Feedback?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 05-25-2010, 10:29 PM
Granite Guru

I'm not sure about the bay area dealers. I go to a small dealer in Woodland, CA (just outside Sacramento) when I can (they aren't open for service on weekends) - they seem to be pretty mod friendly from what I can tell (but I haven't had any major issues to know for sure), but that's probably too far of a drive for you. Good luck - a good dealer is hard to find!

07 Jeep Green Rubi Unlimited, auto
Mods: Tuffy Cubby Storage Cover, Rugged Ridge grab handles, Shrockworks Sliders, Rock Hard Engine / Gas Tank Skids, Rhino-lined tub, Kilby Evap Can Relocation Kit, 16x8 Centerline Wilderness Series - Falcon Rims, 285/75/16 Interco SSRs, OME 2" HD Lift, PSC Diff Covers, Superwinch EPi 9.0, BulldogFab Rear Bumper, RedrockFab Front Bumper and skid
post #3 of 24 Old 05-25-2010, 10:56 PM
JKO Addict!

Have you tried Michael Stead's Jeep in Walnut Creek? I bought my JK there, but to be honest have not brought it back since I lifted it, cut it, wired it, tired it, and the like... They are an OUTSTANDING dealership, however I do not know their mannerisms on mods.

I'm planning on taking it by soon to have them flash the computer for the TSB for the Automatic Transmission overheat light. I'll let you know how it goes after I do.

RC (Your neighbor down the street in Brentwood)

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

|
post #4 of 24 Old 05-26-2010, 07:34 AM
Granite Guru

I've been treated well by Lithia in Concord.

Dealers are having quick turnover in both ownership and staff these days, so a mod-friendly dealer one day might not be so friendly the next.

Michael Stead's Hilltop Jeep
Richmond, CA
post #5 of 24 Old 06-05-2010, 06:02 PM
Granite Guru

McConnell Jeep in Healdsburg, CA. They are the bomb diggity.

2008 Red Rock Rubicon Unltd 6spd dual top
post #6 of 24 Old 09-26-2011, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Update - at 99K+ miles I took it to a local dealer. They took care of me (replaced the tranny syncro's) with absolutely no drama whatsoever about the 35's!

Tranny Rebuilt, New Gas Tank, Fender Liner Recall Work done! $0.00 on Lifetime warranty. She shifts better than new!

2008 JKUR 3.5" Frankenlift : RK/Artec/Synergy/Reid/Currie/PSC - Spyder'd Out - 35" MTR/K's on Spyderlocks - BinksFab Tailgate

Last edited by DiscoBayJoe; 09-28-2011 at 07:38 AM.
post #7 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 01:38 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzcode View Post
Have you tried Michael Stead's Jeep in Walnut Creek? I bought my JK there, but to be honest have not brought it back since I lifted it, cut it, wired it, tired it, and the like... They are an OUTSTANDING dealership, however I do not know their mannerisms on mods.

I'm planning on taking it by soon to have them flash the computer for the TSB for the Automatic Transmission overheat light. I'll let you know how it goes after I do.

RC (Your neighbor down the street in Brentwood)
I have had god experience with Michael Stead. I bought my Jeep from Michael Stead Walnut Creek back in 2007 and had a few services there in the first few months when everything was new.

A few years ago I tried Michael Stead in Richmond (I'm near San Rafael so Richmond is closer). Both places did a good job on various warantee and fender work - no problems. Richmond are not in a rush if you wait (see feedback on Yelp etc) so I try not to wait if I can. I.e. Have someone drop me off pick me up so I can leave the Jeep.

Stuff that I have had done at one place or another:

Soft top warantee replacement (hole)
Brake recall
Fender trimming recall (I had bushwhackers fitted at the time - no problem)
Gas tank replacement (I have evap can relocate from Kilby) - no problem.

How do Chrysler make a profit?

Steve
post #8 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 03:12 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by IBROCUN View Post
I've been treated well by Lithia in Concord.

Dealers are having quick turnover in both ownership and staff these days, so a mod-friendly dealer one day might not be so friendly the next.
Most Lithia dealers are very mod friendly. The one up in Reno loves my jeep and I never had any issues with warranty work
post #9 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 03:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imkunfused View Post
Most Lithia dealers are very mod friendly. The one up in Reno loves my jeep and I never had any issues with warranty work
X2 the one in Concord was..but there gone..the further north of the bay area alot of them are friendly...I've heard the Folsom guys are cool

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
post #10 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 09:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

I would avoid Manteca Cabral now those bastards. They pulled the mod card on me when they told me I needed a tranny rebuild for $1500 just to tare it down and threw in the "since your vehicle is modified" Bullshit. They said my tranny was completely blown by smelling the oil (WTF oil was perfect, smelled normal and was clean). Since then I have done Rubicon, Niagara Rim and Slick Rock. Not only did they try to screw me on a so called blown tranny rebuild they wanted me to pay $1500 first and then they would determine if the warranty would cover due to my mods. I have not been back since.

W6FJK

post #11 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 09:53 PM
Rock God

JUST AN FYI

Dealers HATE to be posted about on Jeep forums as being "MOD Friendly" Big brother is ALWAYS watching these sites. If you want to keep your "Mod Friendly Dealer" a Mod Friendly dealer in the future....Post yours responses in PM's. Nothing worse than a phone call from Big Brother asking for explanations as to why you warranetied something......QUESTIONABLE.

I'm just saying.

post #12 of 24 Old 09-27-2011, 09:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_) View Post
JUST AN FYI

Dealers HATE to be posted about on Jeep forums as being "MOD Friendly" Big brother is ALWAYS watching these sites. If you want to keep your "Mod Friendly Dealer" a Mod Friendly dealer in the future....Post yours responses in PM's. Nothing worse than a phone call from Big Brother asking for explanations as to why you warranetied something......QUESTIONABLE.

I'm just saying.
Someone's drinking the Koolaid Lol

You know what I HATE is people spreading unfounded paranoia...Jason from Airpark has come on to one of the many of these threads and said that they are offroad and mod friendly..but he must just be risking his job huh?

Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites

Last edited by nootherride; 09-27-2011 at 10:04 PM.
post #13 of 24 Old 09-28-2011, 07:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLACKEY(_!_) View Post
JUST AN FYI

I'm just saying.
I like how you're thinking here... Perhaps we should delete this thread, and PM the information. I don't want to pull into my "Mod Friendly Dealer" and have the plug pulled...

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #14 of 24 Old 09-28-2011, 07:40 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
I like how you're thinking here... Perhaps we should delete this thread, and PM the information. I don't want to pull into my "Mod Friendly Dealer" and have the plug pulled...

RC
I pulled the invoice image and cleaned my post up enough so that it's not so "in your face". I was hoping to give them credit for being drama free (even tho i've done nothing too hardcore, i'm paranoid about mods after my issue with my suburban).

post #15 of 24 Old 09-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoBayJoe View Post
Does Anyone have any good experiences with a Mod Friendly Dealer?

My 08 Rubi Unlimited 6-Speed has been popping out of first gear. Its got a 3.5" Rock Krawler Kit & 35' MTR's on Black Soft 8's. I really like the agressive look, but i'm afraid the look is going to throw up a red flag for service under the lifetime drivetrain warranty. I had a suburban with 38's and when I blew a tranny seal (towing a boat over the altimont at 80mph) the dealer told me they'd fix that one, but my extended warranty was void from there on.

I definitly don't want a repeat of that situation. Ideally if anyone has experience with a dealer around Modesto/Stockton/Manteca,Tracy that'd be great! I'd take it anywhere in the Bay Area or Sac if there was a dealer that really stood out.

Feedback?
It is really out of the way for you, but I never had a single problem with the dealer in Burlingame. Very friendly staff, and they like my modded jeep. They even did some diff service on my friends modded jeep knowing it was his fault, but they still did it under warranty. I highly recommend them. Ask for Jeffrey or Mike who is service manager.
By the way I too ran 35" tires on a 3" lift and full armor (bumpers, etc) with cut fenders, etc so it too look aggressive and they seem to like it as every time I go there I get few sales and service guys looking at it admiring it :-).

Last edited by SFBayArea; 09-29-2011 at 09:31 AM.
post #16 of 24 Old 09-30-2011, 01:57 AM
Rock God

Garage
Dublin

I've take my Mod'd JK Sahara to Dublin. They've been pretty good about advising me of things that would void my warranty (which is sort of a moog point for me now... pretty much dis-mounted that horse a few mods ago... on my own and free to do what I want)

FREEDOM BABY! YEAH!

I wont mention specific names but I have taken my Jeep to other dealers and I like the Dublin dealer ... the quality of the staff may have something to do with the fact that the owner drives a bad ass mod'd Rubi with all sorts of video cameras mounted all over the place.

Forrest Grumpy
: "Life is like a box of dark chocolates. You never know what your going to get. But when you do, you find you don't like it anyway! "
JK's Rule! 2007 Sahara Hesco Supercharged ~TOYO M/T 35's ~ FabFours ~ 3" Teraflex Premium Shorty Lift~ ...
post #17 of 24 Old 09-30-2011, 02:23 AM
Rock God

Garage

Unless the dealer can reasonably determine that your mods caused the failure, they can't void the warranty, it's Federal law. They can refuse to cover a specific part... ie; you put on 37's and your power steering pump dies, they don't have to cover it because it wasn't designed for that. But they would still have to fix a transmission if it was popping out of gear.

Most dealers don't care, they just bill Chrysler for the repair anyway.

post #18 of 24 Old 09-30-2011, 09:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron R View Post
Unless the dealer can reasonably determine that your mods caused the failure, they can't void the warranty, it's Federal law. They can refuse to cover a specific part... ie; you put on 37's and your power steering pump dies, they don't have to cover it because it wasn't designed for that. But they would still have to fix a transmission if it was popping out of gear.

Most dealers don't care, they just bill Chrysler for the repair anyway.
This is not exactly true. Dealers can black flag you in the system, based on their observation of any non-Mopar modification. In other words, you can buy Mopar performance items, as they have deemed them acceptable for the vehicle, and they will not void the warranty. However, as soon as you go with aftermarket part combinations, items that were designed independently of one another, then they have full rights to void your warranty, or turn the other way, and service your warranty needs.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
post #19 of 24 Old 09-30-2011, 10:02 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
This is not exactly true. Dealers can black flag you in the system, based on their observation of any non-Mopar modification. In other words, you can buy Mopar performance items, as they have deemed them acceptable for the vehicle, and they will not void the warranty. However, as soon as you go with aftermarket part combinations, items that were designed independently of one another, then they have full rights to void your warranty, or turn the other way, and service your warranty needs.

RC
Actually, gonna have to refute you on that one. First, MOPAR doesnt make 98% of their parts. They rebadge aftermarket parts. Second, almost every mopar performance part listed in the catalog is follwed by an S (or P or R, whatever it is this year) indicating that "NO WARRANTY IS OFFERED, IMPLIED, EXPRESSED OR HONORED" save the original manufacturers warranty which must be taken up with them, not chrysler. Chrysler does this because there is the common PERCEPTION that because it is a mopar part it is warranted, when in fact its not, and chrysler can mark it up 300-500% simply because of that fact.

Example:

Smittybilt 2.5" Coil lift with shocks retails for about $499

MOPAR 2.5" Coil lift with shocks retails for $2299

The part numbers were exactly the same, hell, the lift was still in its smitty box inside a mopar box!! (2009 catalog info used for example).

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #20 of 24 Old 09-30-2011, 10:30 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
Actually, gonna have to refute you on that one. First, MOPAR doesnt make 98% of their parts. They rebadge aftermarket parts. Second, almost every mopar performance part listed in the catalog is follwed by an S (or P or R, whatever it is this year) indicating that "NO WARRANTY IS OFFERED, IMPLIED, EXPRESSED OR HONORED" save the original manufacturers warranty which must be taken up with them, not chrysler. Chrysler does this because there is the common PERCEPTION that because it is a mopar part it is warranted, when in fact its not, and chrysler can mark it up 300-500% simply because of that fact.

Example:

The part numbers were exactly the same, hell, the lift was still in its smitty box inside a mopar box!! (2009 catalog info used for example).
You're correct on this. Mopar now sells flat flares that have the bushwacker part number and... Drum roll please... The same parts inside. They cost about $250 more.

Sent via Pony Express

jk-forum, jk-forum.com jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #21 of 24 Old 09-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Rock God

Garage

Read the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. They can't void a warranty unless the modification caused undue stress on the component in question. Chevy dealer tried to not cover an alternator on the vette two years ago because I had a DiabloSport tune, cam, and exhaust installed. Explained Magnuson-Moss to them and printed a copy and they took care of it. Fortunately I haven't had any issues with the Jeep that haven't been covered yet. The dealer knows what I bought it for and how I use it, it hasn't been a problem yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnuso...s_Warranty_Act

Last edited by Ron R; 09-30-2011 at 01:54 PM.
post #22 of 24 Old 09-30-2011, 02:08 PM
JKO Addict!

MMWA is a joke. You are still responsible for legal fees, court cost etc. It's not worth it, and if it were you would be better off lemon lawing it.

The point I was trying to make is people assume that just because it's a MOPAR part that it is warranted, and therefore they are willing to pay more. Sadly that is simply not true, and many dealers will flat out lie to you about it.

Most people also don't realize how interconnected parts and drivetrain stresses are. Sure, your radio warranty can't be denied if you through on 35s, but that's not the issue. I also encourage everyone to actually read your warranty in it's entirety. Chrysler can and will (legally) deny your ENTIRE warranty for abuse. It states so in the warranty that YOU signed.

I am all about finding a dealership that uses common sense, but the bottom line is you as the owner need to be reasonable in what you request as warranty work on a modified vehicle.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #23 of 24 Old 09-30-2011, 04:02 PM
'merica

Sooo yea moving Folsom Lake Jeep has been pretty good to me and hasnt given me any issues. Replaced rear carrier when my locker took a dump

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk

U.S. Army

KJ6OIT
post #24 of 24 Old 10-02-2011, 04:47 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post

Example:

I was suggesting that they make everything themselves... Just a gimmick to draw the line in the sand, AFTER their profits are calculated into the mix.

RC

A lot of chit coming...

W9DRC

|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode