Fordyce in Sept. - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 70 Old 08-02-2009, 11:22 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to MBATF Send a message via Yahoo to MBATF Send a message via Skype™ to MBATF
Question Fordyce in Sept.

Hey guys

Just curious to know if anyone would be interested of running Fordyce with. I am hope to have time this year for it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Office: 214-7363398

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 08-02-2009, 11:44 PM
JKO Addict!

I just pm'd a friend about a fordyce run. Looking to do all the winch hills if possible. We ran fordyce back in early May. Just to the first crossing and back out. I really want to go back. Count me in.
post #3 of 70 Old 08-03-2009, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to MBATF Send a message via Yahoo to MBATF Send a message via Skype™ to MBATF

All the winch hills are pretty easy for the Unlimited JK except one...

post #4 of 70 Old 08-03-2009, 07:48 PM
JKO Addict!

Which winch hill is that? Great Pics. Fordyce seems more rugged than The Con. Now I'm getting psyched for Fordyce.
post #5 of 70 Old 08-03-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Winchhill #1.

I personally think Fordyce makes Rubicon look like a joke.

Just be sure to curve to the left at the first water crossing.

post #6 of 70 Old 08-03-2009, 11:16 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBATF View Post
Hey guys

Just curious to know if anyone would be interested of running Fordyce with. I am hope to have time this year for it.
Count me in!
Rob, it's looking like the September dates will work out better for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBATF View Post
All the winch hills are pretty easy for the Unlimited JK except one...
X2! There are a couple of BIG rocks there in the WRONG places! Lot's of new rock rash.

Here's a video I found on Pirate. This line would get your attention!
YouTube - Fordyce Winch hill 1 7/25/09
post #7 of 70 Old 08-03-2009, 11:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

LMAO!!!

Thats Rick who picked a weird line.

post #8 of 70 Old 08-04-2009, 12:06 AM
Granite Guru

Don't know him, but it sure made for a great video!
post #9 of 70 Old 08-04-2009, 04:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Nice pics Nate. Thats a big ledge. Did you make it? You own Fordyce anyway.

Are you guys interested in an overnighter or a day run. I go with the flow but I would personally like to camp one night and try to run the trail all the way through. I'll make any weekend work in September.

Nate, do you think Dave would be up for something like this?
post #10 of 70 Old 08-04-2009, 11:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Fordyce would be a 2 days run to be able to relax I think.

We did it in one day before and was exhausted to ****.

post #11 of 70 Old 08-06-2009, 12:33 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
Nice pics Nate. Thats a big ledge. Did you make it? You own Fordyce anyway.

Are you guys interested in an overnighter or a day run. I go with the flow but I would personally like to camp one night and try to run the trail all the way through. I'll make any weekend work in September.

Nate, do you think Dave would be up for something like this?
That ledge is at the top of winch hill #1. I had a good line and crawled right up it. Getting to this point ... now that's another story. There were some big rocks that kept getting in the way!

I agree with you and MBATF, camping is the way to do it. Let's plan on it, that way we can take our time and enjoy it. I haven't talked with Dave in a little while, but he wanted to go camping with the girls sometime. I'll bet he'd be game. I'll give him a call and see what his schedule looks like. I should be able to do it any weekend except the 12th, I'll just need to check with work to be sure.

The water should be running lower in September. It looks like it is going to be a kayaker's heaven in August though. 500cfs!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDunn View Post
(from Pirate) I was told at the trek meeting they will be raising the flow back to 250 on Monday [10th]. Monday afternoon they are going to fly over the trail to make sure every one is off then raise the flow to 500 on Tuesday so they can drain the lake for their Dam project. I have no idea when it will come back down from 500.
They dropped the flow to 30cfs yesterday for Sierra Trek. I ran up there after work last night and went in at Committee to play around a little. The water didn't even come up to my hubs at that crossing. I couldn't believe it, I haven't ever been up there when the flow was that low. It would be nice if the crossing were that easy all the time!
post #12 of 70 Old 08-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Granite Guru

Dave, I don't think my Jeep is quite ready for Fordyce. Or is it that I'm not quite ready to sacrafice my Jeep to Fordyce yet?!

I thought this would be the year, but probably not.

Although those Alpha stickers may be all a Jeep needs?
On that note, I got some good shots on the Rubicon with the Alpha Ex stickers that you may want to use on your site. My friend turned out to be quite a good photographer.

2007 Unlimited Silver Sahara, Auto

4" Currie Rock Jock/Daystar 1" BL
37" Iroks on AEV rims
Superior 5.13s and rear ARB
Hanson stubby front bumper with Warn 9.5ti
PSC rocker armor/Rock Hard Oil & Trans skid

RUBICON TESTED-MOAB APPROVED
post #13 of 70 Old 08-11-2009, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOAB4ME View Post
Dave, I don't think my Jeep is quite ready for Fordyce. Or is it that I'm not quite ready to sacrafice my Jeep to Fordyce yet?!

I thought this would be the year, but probably not.

Although those Alpha stickers may be all a Jeep needs?
On that note, I got some good shots on the Rubicon with the Alpha Ex stickers that you may want to use on your site. My friend turned out to be quite a good photographer.
Dude. I think your rig is ready for it. I just have to find time for it!

post #14 of 70 Old 08-11-2009, 06:59 PM
JKO Addict!

MBATF,

As far as getting a group of wheelers from norcal, on this board,to run fordyce, I think you're looking at it. Fordyce is Jeepthings back yard. I've been there three times and have yet to run the trail all the way through. It would be nice to throw a date out there if this is going to happen. September is only weeks away. Maybe we can get a few more guys to go.
post #15 of 70 Old 08-11-2009, 10:32 PM
Granite Guru

Rob, I talked with Dave (Red JK, not MBATF) tonight - he said to tell you hi. He wants to come and said to plan on him. Neither of us could do it the weekend of the 12th, but should be able to any other weekend. The water flows are going to be high this month (300-500), but I've heard they will be down in September. I'm not sure how soon they will be coming back down though, so maybe we should look at either the 3rd or 4th weekend in September. What works for everyone else? I have a friend in a CJ that may want to come too.
post #16 of 70 Old 08-12-2009, 05:54 AM
Rock God

Garage

I'm watching this thread from Socal, the last couple of weeks in Sept. are looking open for me. I'm hoping to come up and join you guys!
That is if 35's aren't to small!!
post #17 of 70 Old 08-12-2009, 02:47 PM
Granite Guru

Too small ... na. Brigitta ran it last week with Sierra Trek on 35's, www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12938. Although after doing a quick run (more like a sprint!) through there last month following a buddy on 42's, I was sure feeling like 37's were too small!

Come on up!
post #18 of 70 Old 08-12-2009, 07:51 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm open for the later part of September. I'd like to run without doors so I'll be hoping for low water flow. My 37s measure at 35.5 so basically running 35s. I have about 6" of lift which helps but the longarms and frame rails always take a pounding at Fordyce. I can see why some people don't like longarms on a JK.

Lets keep an eye on the flows and I'll keep the 19th and the 26th open.

Chromedome, it would be great to meet you. Hope you can make it. Did you make it to the Rubicon this year?
post #19 of 70 Old 08-13-2009, 08:32 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
I'm open for the later part of September. I'd like to run without doors so I'll be hoping for low water flow. My 37s measure at 35.5 so basically running 35s. I have about 6" of lift which helps but the longarms and frame rails always take a pounding at Fordyce. I can see why some people don't like longarms on a JK.

Lets keep an eye on the flows and I'll keep the 19th and the 26th open.

Chromedome, it would be great to meet you. Hope you can make it. Did you make it to the Rubicon this year?
Not this year, I ran the 'con last year with some folks from Rubi owners forum. My 35's measure 33.75 in. I run a Rubicon Express 3.5 in kit. Could be a struggle but there's lots of armor!
post #20 of 70 Old 08-20-2009, 09:28 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to wildandwilln

I would say a strong maybe
post #21 of 70 Old 08-21-2009, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Later part of the Sept sounds good to me. Somehow I did not look at my book when I throw out the suggestion and realized that I was pretty busy in late Aug - mid Sept.

post #22 of 70 Old 08-21-2009, 04:10 PM
Granite Guru

It looks like we are starting to get a good group together. Let's firm up a date so everyone can make plans. It sounds like the later part of September works best for everyone, so what's everyone's vote ... the weekend of the 19th or 26th? I could go either weekend, but just need to schedule the time off.

It looks like the flows will be around 285cfs booth weekends. Sorry Rob ... I think that gets you a little wet if you're running without doors.

I don't know what everyone's schedules are like, especially those who have a little bit of a drive to get here, but it would be fun to go in late Friday afternoon, camp along the way somewhere and run the rest of the trail Saturday, camping at Meadow Lake (end of the trail - old Sierra Trek base camp) Saturday night. Then on Sunday, we could play around on the winch hills at the tail end of the trail and maybe get an earlier start for home. Just an idea, let me know what you guys think.

List Updated Aug. 24th

1. MBATF
2. RubiRobv
3. JeepThing
4. Dave (Red JK)
5. chromedome
6. wildandwilln - strong maybe
7. Eugene
8. Team Hundy
9. JKDinker
10. CyrusPura - maybe
11. Jeeper - maybe
12. MOAB4ME - maybe
13. ... next?

Last edited by JeepThing; 08-24-2009 at 10:24 PM.
post #23 of 70 Old 08-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Rock God

If I can get my axle in by then count me in. Just got off the phone with Superior. Basically he said 'no problem' . I'll contact them again on Monday to finalize.
post #24 of 70 Old 08-21-2009, 04:27 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene View Post
If I can get my axle in by then count me in. Just got off the phone with Superior. Basically he said 'no problem' . I'll contact them again on Monday to finalize.
Pleeenty of time! It will be good to run Fordyce with you again. Glad to hear Superior standing behind their product like that. Especially since I'm running their gears and axels.
post #25 of 70 Old 08-21-2009, 04:32 PM
JKO Addict!

My vote is for the weekend of the 26th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode