JKOwners Forum banner

Jonboy's Jeep Build Thread

47K views 196 replies 27 participants last post by  Jonboy 
#1 · (Edited)
I started out with a black forest green 2012 JK Unlimited Rubicon, 6 speed.

On the maiden voyage home from the dealer in Canoga Park.

Where I'm at now:

Armor:
PSC Brawler Lite with Skid
PSC Front and Rear Steel Crusher Flares
PSC Body Armor
GenRight Rear Aluminum bumper with LEDs
ACE Rock Rails, installed over stock Rubicon rails

Electrical
Dual Aeroforce Gauges (green) in Auto Meter A-Pillar mount
Warn 9500 cti with synthetic line
Dually D2's (driving beam) in fog light mount
sPod
Cobra 75 WX ST
TruckLites LED Headlamps
Ghetto Green LEDs behind front bumper
PSC side LED lamps mounted in front fenders

Engine
Airaid air intake (oil-free filter)

Wheels/Tires
Stock 32" BFG MT
Plasti-dipped stock Rubicon 17" wheels

Miscellaneous
MetalCloak support for middle of rear seat
VersaMount2 with RAM phone mount
OR-FAB rock doors, front/rear
OR-FAB mirror retrofit bracket with side mirrors
SpiderWeb Trailmesh
Tuffy rear security deck
Tuffy glove box
Tuffy center console insert
Custom aluminum shelf mounted under driver's seat
Drake aluminum fuel fill door
Recaro ProRide

Here's how the JK sits today:

Where I'm Going
Stuff on the way or already here:
4.5" front / 3" rear Synergy springs
MetalCloak front/rear control arms
Fox steering stabilizer
Fox front/rear shocks
EVO weld-on sliders
EVO Rock Star skids
EVO Protek full skid system
Teraflex HD Hinged spare carrier w/ hi lift mount/rotopax
Synergy Sleeve/Gusset for front D44
Synergy front/rear track bar
Synergy chromoly tie rod
PSC D44 diff covers, front/rear
External CB speaker
50" Paramount LED light bar
PSC aluminum windshield light bar mount
Evap Skid
Ten Factory front/rear chromoly axles
Reid knuckles
PSC Extreme Duty Crossmember
37x12.50x17 Nitto Trail Grapplers
Method NV Black wheels

See less See more
#2 ·
Can't wait to see it come together!! :rockon: IT'S GOING TO BE SICK!

#8 ·
We can't start on the "real" wrenching until MC ships the control arms. They called me yesterday and said it may be 2-3 weeks, which is fine since I still need to figure out what I'm doing for wheels. This weekend I'll do the Teraflex tire carrier, take off my Ace / rubicon sliders and may try to get to my EVO skids to get some of the easier things out of the way, and by next Wed my EVO sliders should be in, so hopefully I can get those welded up next week sometime.

Were you at the last jeep night? Your list of parts sounds familiar. If so, i thought your rig was black, but i know how deceiving that BFG is
Yea that was me. It's definitely hard to see the green unless there's direct light shining on it.

#10 ·
Garage is full of boxes now. Just ordered up my Reid knuckles, front/rear chromolys and PSC crossmember. Waiting on those plus the MC arms, which are still about 2 weeks out.

Now I need to decide on wheels, and start installing some of the non-suspension parts.

#13 · (Edited)
After looking at about a million wheels, and flip flopping about 50 times, I've finally decided to go w/ the Method NVs. I didn't even give these a second look at first, but Jason was a fan, and after seeing a few pics of JK's w/ them and having a friend in Texas point out the fake beadlocks will look good w/ my PSC body armor bolts, I'm sold.

Once I get the shipment notification on the MC Arms, I'll be ordering these plus the Nittos from Discount Tire Direct.

Here's a Gecko JK w/ the wheels

Here's a bad photoshop attempt to show them on my JK

#14 ·
Knuckes and front chromolys finally shipped today, arriving Friday. I've been waiting a week or two to see if they were going to get the rear chromo back in stock but I guess Northridge gave up waiting on Ten Factory to ship them the rears.

Rugged Ridge spacers arrive tomorrow.

MC seems to be shipping some arms, but I haven't received mine yet. Called them on Tuesday and they think mine should ship out in the next few days.

This weekend I may try to install my backup camera and rock camera, and hopefully my PSC windshield mounts will be back from the body shop and I can get my 50" LED mounted up.

#17 ·
Steering knuckles and front chromolys came today. Still waiting on the arms. No telling now when the arms or the rear chromolys will ever get here.

Just when I thought there was nothing more I could possibly do to the HMSJK (heavily modified stock JK) my Daystar dash panel arrived with the ball mount. This weekend I'll be focusing on installing this dash panel and the cameras. It will feel great to get these really critical hard core offroading components on the JK.

#24 ·
Day 1

All of the parts were brought to JMac's house. The 4 door was pretty much full with probably 600 lbs of parts - everything for the suspension, knuckles, tie rod, skids, rockers, tire carrier, etc. At the end of Day 1, the Teraflex carrier was mounted up with the new spare, and Jason's garage was full to the rafters with my boxes.

Here's how the JK sat at the end of Day 1.

#25 ·
Day 2

I made it to JMac's house around 2pm. By then, Jason had already completely finished the rear end.

In the afternoon Jason finished up sleeving/gusseting the front axle, installing the Poly ball joints and the Reid knuckles. The front is ready to be installed tomorrow.

Here's how she sat at the end of today.

Awesome work, JMac. :bounce: You made everything look so easy, especially installing those ball joints.

#26 ·
You are welcome. It was a good day. Rear suspension out, new rear suspension in. HD crossmember, evo skid system done. Front suspension out, axle sleeved, gusseted, skids, poly track bar mount, poly shock relocators, poly ball joints, Reid knuckles, diff cover, & paint done. Tomorrow hopefully we can wrap it up and test her out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.