Rear adjust track bar or relocation bracket - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 12-03-2007, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Rear adjust track bar or relocation bracket

Hello, (sorry meant to post this in the modified section)

I am looking into purchasing a 4" lift kit. The Kit comes with an adjustable front track bar and for the rear a relocation bracket w/cam bolts. I was reading previous threads where other members say that it is best to go with an adjustable rear track bar rather than using the supplied cam bolts. My question is, if I purchase the adjustable rear track bar, do I install that with the relocation bracket or forego installing the relocation bracket and just install the rear track bar onto the stock rear bracket ...Please advise, thank you...

Last edited by aldaman; 12-03-2007 at 08:34 PM. Reason: wrong part description
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to RedRockJK Send a message via Yahoo to RedRockJK

Toss the track bar bracket and use the adjustable track bar by itself. That's what I did on mine.

2007 Rubicon Unlimited: MODS: Superior 5.13 Gears, Black Diamond 3" Lift, 1" M.O.R.E. Body Lift, FT Rear Adj. Trackbar, 15x8 ION 170 wheels, 37x12.50x15 Goodyear MT/R's, Superwinch EPi9.0, Smittybilt SRC front bumper, IGGEE Black/Charcoal seat covers, relocated muffler (Magnaflow 11376).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 13 Old 12-04-2007, 06:59 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I'm not an expert on this, but I think it depends on the design and quality of the relocation bracket. I was using an adjustable track bar without the relocation bracket on the rear and I didn't have any problems, but now I'm experimenting with using the Teraflex supplied relocation bracket and the stock track bar.

I just spent a little money on the front to level out the track bar and drag link to eliminate bump steer and stress on the components. It only makes since to me that I would want to try and level out the rear track bar also. The Teraflex track bar relocation bracket is a frame mount and so far I like it, but haven't wheeled it since installing.

Just be aware that the factory track bar mounts are soft and weak. You want to use a relocation bracket that reinforces these mounts and doesn't solely rely on the factory mounts to hold it.

Last edited by RotorHead; 12-04-2007 at 07:02 AM.
post #4 of 13 Old 12-04-2007, 07:47 AM
TrailDuty.com

What lift uses cam bolts on the track bar?

I have removed both my Superlift adjustable track bars and returned to the stock ones. The Heim joints on mine kept wearing and getting free play in them.

I use a Poly Performance track bar bracket on the front and a Teraflex on the rear.
post #5 of 13 Old 12-04-2007, 08:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

FWIW - I just installed a BDS bracket on the rear and will prob go with a PP bracket up front.
Happy with the ride and handling now, so I figure adding the front bracket should only make it even better.
edit: well I was thinking I would use the PP bracket, but I just went and re-read and it requires the drag link flip kit, which requires the reamer for the passenger knuckle.
Getting awfully involved for a track bar bracket.
Will probably just throw on an adjustable bar and call it a day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.

Last edited by venom; 12-04-2007 at 08:17 AM.
post #6 of 13 Old 12-04-2007, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post

I have removed both my Superlift adjustable track bars and returned to the stock ones. The Heim joints on mine kept wearing and getting free play in them.

I use a Poly Performance track bar bracket on the front and a Teraflex on the rear.
I left out the details about the cam bolts, but they are for the lower front control arms...This brings up another question that instead of using the cam bolts, is it better to install the adjustable lower control arms for the front if so, what would be the appropriate degree / angle for the front drive shaft in relation to the pinion/pumpkin for a 4dr unlimited X...Thanks...
post #7 of 13 Old 12-04-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldaman View Post
I left out the details about the cam bolts, but they are for the lower front control arms...This brings up another question that instead of using the cam bolts, is it better to install the adjustable lower control arms for the front if so, what would be the appropriate degree / angle for the front drive shaft in relation to the pinion/pumpkin for a 4dr unlimited X...Thanks...
No matter what you use to adjust it, you need to get your caster adjusted to around 4.5 or 5 degrees or so. Adjustable control arms will do that for you, as would cam bolts--but I thought the holes in the brackets aren't slotted for that use, they're just a round hole?
post #8 of 13 Old 12-04-2007, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Lean View Post
--but I thought the holes in the brackets aren't slotted for that use, they're just a round hole?
The instructions in the lift kit says that the round hole has a perforation that allows you to either chisel, cut or dremel the hole to make it larger (the picture in the instructions shows the end result being kinda rectangular)...

Last edited by aldaman; 12-04-2007 at 10:30 PM.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-04-2007, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post

Sorry, I wasnt too detailed about the cam bolts...The cam bolts are for the Front lower control arms...I was trying to imply that the lift kit I was looking at came with a rear track bar relocation bracket, instead of a rear adjustable track bar and cam bolts for the front lower control arms, instead of adjustable control arms.....

Last edited by aldaman; 12-04-2007 at 10:59 PM.
post #10 of 13 Old 12-05-2007, 07:08 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Lean View Post
No matter what you use to adjust it, you need to get your caster adjusted to around 4.5 or 5 degrees or so.
I found you can run as low +2.5° and it feels fine, doesn't wander much at all. Factory spec for caster is +4.2° ±0.5°.

post #11 of 13 Old 12-05-2007, 07:09 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Sorry, I wasnt too detailed about the cam bolts...The cam bolts are for the Front lower control arms...
Okay, that makes sense now.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-05-2007, 07:19 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
If you were doing just one set of control arms I think you'd be better off doing the uppers, as when you adjust them to set the pinion angle right you will rotate the top of the axle forward. If you just do the lowers then you will rotate the bottom of the axle backwards and effectively move the axle backwards, when it in fact needs to go forwards. Doing both would let you set the correct axle position and pinion angle.

Good cancellation of U-joint operating angles is within 1°.
Operating angles less than 3° (U-joint system).
Operating angles less than 10° for constant velocity joint.
At least 0.5° continuous operating (propeller shaft) angle. On one U-joint system less than 1.5° operating angle.

I've found that anything over 7.5° with a front UJ shaft (JE Reel in my case) will cause excessive vibration. Less than 3° is spec whichever driveshaft you have, but I think 5° is fine.

Obviously the more you correct the pinion angle the worse your caster will be become. It is traditional for pinion to take precedent, and also what the FSM calls for, but with a little compromise on both, you can find something that will work well, ie: vibration free and good steering feel.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-05-2007, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thank you all for the great advice/tips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode