Buzz sound when shifting - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 12-01-2007, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Buzz sound when shifting

OK so this has been going on since a few weeks after I bought it. When I shift at higher RPMs, (anything above 3500 or so) there is a buzz/rattle sound when I disengage the clutch. You can even feel it in the clutch pedal somewhat. I have been watching the TSBs and this board for similar problems but so far the issues most are having is a squeek. The dealership has had it twice. The first time they changed the throwout bearing per the TSB even though the actual symptoms were different than described in the TSB. It really seemed like a throwout bearing noise so we hoped this would work but no change. Then this week they changed the clutch disk as per the new TSB related to clutch noise but still no change. The mechanic was vert sympathetic and said he definately agrees there is a problem but doesn't know what to do at this poiny. He said everything looked normal when he tore it apart. He also said he has heard the same buzz in other new JKs. So..... anyone else having this issue? And more importantly anyone found a solution?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-02-2007, 12:11 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So am I really the only one having this problem? The mechanic made it sound like it was fairly common.
post #3 of 27 Old 12-03-2007, 08:16 AM
Granite Guru

Well i only notice a squeek or a chirp when i shift, and it is everytime i shift and it has done that since new. Havent heard of anyone getting a buzzing sound sorry.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 27 Old 12-04-2007, 01:14 PM
14ers

me! me! I do!

I definitely have the buzz shifting at higher RPM's. Let me know if you find the resolution.

I have yet to take the Toad to the dealer for any reason. I'm afraid they'er going to bug me about the dented/scratched rock slider, gouged skid plates and scatches on the paint

2008 Rescue Green UJK Rubicon 6 spd with a bunch of super cheap mods!
post #5 of 27 Old 02-20-2008, 11:28 AM
LSM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93country View Post
Well i only notice a squeek or a chirp when i shift, and it is everytime i shift and it has done that since new. Havent heard of anyone getting a buzzing sound sorry.
I am getting the same squeek when I shift gears. I have less than 1000 miles on it and it started around 400 miles. I found a TSB on another site that says that the dealership needs to replace the clutch.

Has anyone followed up on this?

ME
08 Rubicon Unlimited / জীপ্ Green / 6 Speed..
Mopar offroad bumper
Winch
Raider Evap Skid plate
Some mods to the bumper
It has started....
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 27 Old 02-20-2008, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I had the throwout bearing replaced first under one TSB, no change. Then they replaced the clutch disk under another TSB, still no change.
post #7 of 27 Old 02-20-2008, 04:11 PM
LSM
Granite Guru

Oh Great... I hope the wife does't hear the squeek. New vehicle and it needs work already
Did you happen to read the TSB?

Here is the Note they added at the top. Check the year in the note. The TSB was published October 26, 2007.

"This bulletin applies to Wrangler vehicles equipped with a 3.8L engine and
manual transmission (sales codes EGT and DEH respectively), built on or
before February 28, 2008 (MDH 0228XX)."

ME
Mopar offroad bumper
Winch
Raider Evap Skid plate
Some mods to the bumper
It has started....
post #8 of 27 Old 02-22-2008, 02:52 PM
14ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
Did you happen to read the TSB?

Here is the Note they added at the top. Check the year in the note. The TSB was published October 26, 2007.

"This bulletin applies to Wrangler vehicles equipped with a 3.8L engine and
manual transmission (sales codes EGT and DEH respectively), built on or
before February 28, 2008 (MDH 0228XX)."
Huh. How did they know the fix would happen 4 months later on Feb 25?

post #9 of 27 Old 02-23-2008, 05:42 PM
Fistfull of Boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbeddow View Post
throwout bearing
damm, that would have been my first guess. Next would be the bearings in the transmission itself.

Doc-14 Tactical Products:
When it absolutely, positively needs to be made from random crap found in the back of my garage.

post #10 of 27 Old 03-30-2008, 11:07 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to csims723
I got the rattles too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drbeddow View Post
So am I really the only one having this problem? The mechanic made it sound like it was fairly common.
Your not the only one. When I get abouve 3500 rpm it sounds like I am driving a WW2 Jeep not a brand new one. I to have the squeak on shift and power change but have not had the heart to let the dealership have it as of yet. As for the crazy rattles I first thought it was a heat sheild vibrating but I ruled that out by retorquing them all. Keep me posted if ya get a answer. I am sick of the rattling. Chris
post #11 of 27 Old 04-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Granite Guru

Yup, I've got it also above 3500 rpm, sounds more like a grind/gear ratchet noise to me, almost like something is touch a rotating part. 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd is very noticeable. Nope I haven't taken mine in either but I know the noise is there. I don't want to go thru the trouble of repeat Dealer visits so if anyone finds the solution, please let us know... Thanks..

08 Rubicon 2DR Red Rock

post #12 of 27 Old 04-17-2008, 05:43 PM
14ers

Mine is still squealing but I feel the same about taking it into the dealer. I also still need them to adjust the useless e-brake. I'm sure they'll hassle me for not taking it to them for any service. "Jeapardizing your lifetime warranty, sir." Huhn

post #13 of 27 Old 04-18-2008, 08:32 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to 1TallJKer Send a message via Yahoo to 1TallJKer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSM View Post
I am getting the same squeek when I shift gears. I have less than 1000 miles on it and it started around 400 miles. I found a TSB on another site that says that the dealership needs to replace the clutch.

Has anyone followed up on this?
Yep, I did about a month ago, and the squeak is now gone. And it actually shifts better than it did straight off the dealer's lot.

They ended up having my JK for 3 days, first they had to order the part, then the mechanic sheared off two of the bolts on the exhaust system, and they had to order those as well.

They almost charged me for the repairs though, they said it looked like it had been in a flood with all of the mud up under there (so I found some mud and had to play in it, it IS a Jeep after all), but when the guy tore apart the clutch there was no mud in it so the warranty covered it. (I would have fought DC like a wild cat on steroids if there had been mud in there)

O.B.A.M.A. - One Big A__ Mistake America

post #14 of 27 Old 04-22-2008, 07:23 AM
LSM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1TallJKer View Post
Yep, I did about a month ago, and the squeak is now gone. And it actually shifts better than it did straight off the dealer's lot.

They ended up having my JK for 3 days, first they had to order the part, then the mechanic sheared off two of the bolts on the exhaust system, and they had to order those as well.

They almost charged me for the repairs though, they said it looked like it had been in a flood with all of the mud up under there (so I found some mud and had to play in it, it IS a Jeep after all), but when the guy tore apart the clutch there was no mud in it so the warranty covered it. (I would have fought DC like a wild cat on steroids if there had been mud in there)
After taking the Jeep in twice they fixed the issue. Apparently it was the shifter linkage cable rubbing on something. The first time they just greased something. A slight relocation of the cable the second time and it works fine, no issues since. All under warranty as it should be.

ME
Mopar offroad bumper
Winch
Raider Evap Skid plate
Some mods to the bumper
It has started....
post #15 of 27 Old 05-12-2008, 05:25 PM
14ers

Got mine done. No more buzzing for hte 1st 100 miles, then it buzzed on 2 shifts in the same trip to the store and hasn't buzzed since for the last 400 miles. And it does shift better. We'll see.

post #16 of 27 Old 05-14-2008, 01:07 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadontheroad View Post
Got mine done. No more buzzing for hte 1st 100 miles, then it buzzed on 2 shifts in the same trip to the store and hasn't buzzed since for the last 400 miles. And it does shift better. We'll see.
What did you have done? I've heard the buzzing at high RPMs but figured it was just a heat shield resonating or something...

CURRENT - ordered 10/26, home 1/142008 JK Unlimited,3.8L,6-spd,limited slip,dual tops,tow pkg,all power
SOLD1999 XJ 4.0L,AX15,NP231,D30HP,C8.25
STOLEN1993 XJ 4.0L,AW4 ,NP231,D30HP,C8.25:::C4X4 THB:GDI 3row:K&N:JKS QD: Dynomax#17340:MagnaflowCat#23221:Surco 45x60
post #17 of 27 Old 05-16-2008, 04:45 PM
14ers

They replaced the entire clutch plate assy under warranty and noted the TSB on the invoice. It's all good to me.

post #18 of 27 Old 03-09-2009, 01:15 PM
14ers

Except now it's 10 months later and the buzz is back...with a vengeance! I'm taking it back to the dealer.

post #19 of 27 Old 03-27-2009, 07:51 AM
14ers

S/B TSB post?

OK, So I took it back in and turns out the 1st time they replaced the clutch with another failure, not the "improved" version. Now I supposedly get the TSB recommended clutch assembly. While it's apart I go in and talk wit the tech. I start playing with the tranny on the stand and notice both the throwout and the pilot bearings are very loose! He says, "Yeah, I noticed that too and I am putting in new bearings for you." Wow, thanks. Why are they worn at 16k? "I don't know. Maybe the clutch vibration?" Man, I hope this isn't going to become some problem that goes on forever...

Then, check it out: While it's in there they replace the radio with a new one, replace the starter with a new one and replace the can sensor with a new one. No argument. No fight. They're just givin 'em away! (They got a whole herd o' Winnebagos)

post #20 of 27 Old 03-27-2009, 07:22 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to csims723
Clutch TSB number

Quote:
Originally Posted by toadontheroad View Post
OK, So I took it back in and turns out the 1st time they replaced the clutch with another failure, not the "improved" version. Now I supposedly get the TSB recommended clutch assembly. While it's apart I go in and talk wit the tech. I start playing with the tranny on the stand and notice both the throwout and the pilot bearings are very loose! He says, "Yeah, I noticed that too and I am putting in new bearings for you." Wow, thanks. Why are they worn at 16k? "I don't know. Maybe the clutch vibration?" Man, I hope this isn't going to become some problem that goes on forever...

Then, check it out: While it's in there they replace the radio with a new one, replace the starter with a new one and replace the can sensor with a new one. No argument. No fight. They're just givin 'em away! (They got a whole herd o' Winnebagos)

Just out of curisoty did you have a problem with the other mentioned parts they swapped? Have you got the TSB on the clutch issues? I need a copy of it to take to my dealer. I have the same 3500 rpm racket. I was thinking it was a heat sheild or the roller fairlead on my winch. I am pretty sure its the transmission and want the TSB number to print. I know the tech will not every be able to find it on his own. Thanks
Chris

07 Unlimited Rubicon Flame Red, 6 Speed Manual, Dual Top, 6 Disc Changer with Sirius, Deep Tint, Sup. Air Bags, Power, Trailer.
AEV Front winch mount bumper holding a Ramsey REP 8000 winch, Skyjacker 3/4" coil spring spacers in the front , Cibie Ecode upgrade with new Harness, Side Marker Modification, Raingler nets, All weather floor mats, Garmin 60cs GPS on a Dash mount, Life is Good Tire cover.

post #21 of 27 Old 03-28-2009, 09:49 AM
14ers

Chris,
I'll be sure to have them note the TSB # on Monday when I pick up the JK and get it to you. As for the other items, I was just mentioning things... like I said the dash has a slight noise like a PC cooling fan. They determined it was the cooling fan on the radio and replaced it. I said it sometime takes too long to start (5-7 sceonds instead of 2). They determined it was the cam sensor (under a TSB I guess), and replaced it. While he had the starter out to swap the clutch he thought the gear/shaft was too loose and surmised the outer flange on the vibrating clutch assembly might have been causing the flywheel to vibrate and wasted the bearings of the shaft on hte started. So they replaced it.

I told them I appreciated them taking some time to put hought into it and not just slapping things back together. Maybe they're trying to get more warranty $$? I don't know. We'll see how it goes.

post #22 of 27 Old 04-01-2009, 08:50 PM
Banned

This is an interesting thread. I'm getting a weird vibration through my shifter that feels tied to the rpm. When I'm sitting in neutral with the engine running, the whole Jeep will shudder. Not sure how to describe it (I ain't no gearhead) but it don't feel right. I would call it a cavitation coming from the engine itself. No idea what this could be, but it sure doesn't seem like something I should expect from a JK I picked up less than 72 hours ago.

Ringing a bell with anyone?
post #23 of 27 Old 04-02-2009, 08:06 AM
14ers

Dan,
Sounds more like a timing/ignition issue. What year is your Sahara? Have you had the flash "upgrade" done? I would have the dealer diagnose it.

post #24 of 27 Old 04-02-2009, 08:07 AM
14ers

And thanks for bringing this back up. I totally forgot to check the TSB #'s

post #25 of 27 Old 04-02-2009, 08:03 PM
14ers

OK Chris... here's the TSB's

TSB 06-001-08 resloved clutch vibration (replaced clutch assembly)

TSB 08-001-08 solved long crank time (replaced cam sensor)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode