Ride diff from 16in to 17in ??? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 01-25-2009, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ride diff from 16in to 17in ???

Just wanted to get everyones opinions on this. I know on my YJ the 36in tires and 15in rims made for alot of sidewall walk while turning and changing lanes. So much so that when I went and traded it in and they test drove it they tried to claim the fromt end was worn out because of play LOL I have never been a big fan of the giant rim small tire look but I dont wanna be waddling around on my tires eithier. I love the driveability so much on this new one that Im trying not to lose it all. Im not sure if im gonna go 35's or 33's and I know the 33's in 17in will give the illusion that the tire is alot smaller... need some opinions im not to worried about the price diff but mainly the ride quality Thanks !!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-25-2009, 04:50 PM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

I have 35's on 15's and it feels good to me.

I also do not use a rear sway bar
post #3 of 8 Old 01-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

If you don't plan to air down to pressures like 6 lbs, then stick with a 17" for a little better on road performance. You could always choose a black rim...then the illusion will make it hard for most to tell whether it is a 16" or 17" rim size. jmo
post #4 of 8 Old 01-25-2009, 08:43 PM
Granite Guru

I went from the stock rubi 32s on 17s to Super Swamper 34s on 16s and haven't noticed that big of a difference in on-road handling. I think you'll be OK with 16s unless you go w/a really big tire (lots of sidewall) - say 35s or 37s. If you're thinking 33s - I wouldn't give it a second thought and go with the 16s.

07 Jeep Green Rubi Unlimited, auto
Mods: Tuffy Cubby Storage Cover, Rugged Ridge grab handles, Shrockworks Sliders, Rock Hard Engine / Gas Tank Skids, Rhino-lined tub, Kilby Evap Can Relocation Kit, 16x8 Centerline Wilderness Series - Falcon Rims, 285/75/16 Interco SSRs, OME 2" HD Lift, PSC Diff Covers, Superwinch EPi 9.0, BulldogFab Rear Bumper, RedrockFab Front Bumper and skid
post #5 of 8 Old 01-25-2009, 10:00 PM
Rock God

I have run 17s for about 6 years. (was one of the first). Jeep drives better on the street, side hills better, climbs better at really low pressure since the tire is not wadding up and folding in on itself.

post #6 of 8 Old 01-28-2009, 06:44 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Jeep drives better on the street, side hills better, climbs better at really low pressure since the tire is not wadding up and folding in on itself.
x2 I've ran 37's on 17's on various vehicles for the last 10 years or so and have only good things to say about 17's with big tires.
post #7 of 8 Old 01-28-2009, 03:59 PM
Wheeler

I've got 33s on 16s now. No issues at all, but when I upgrade to 35s i want to go with a 17 in wheel for streetability (is that a word?)
post #8 of 8 Old 01-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Rock God

I have 35's on 16 inc rims..no diff.i thinks it rides better..put my 17's wheels on my 07 ram.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode