New JKs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 Old 01-02-2009, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

New JKs

Iknow this is an old problem but I was wondering if you guys with new Jks are having the leak problems those of us with 07's are having. The reason I'm asking is because I found out today that Chrysler is most likely is going to replace mine.with a new one. I just do'nt want to start over.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 Old 01-02-2009, 04:42 PM
Granite Guru

I have had mine for about 2 months and it has yet to leak... anywhere. However, let me know where exactly is yours leaking and I could check mine out.
post #3 of 60 Old 01-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Rock God

my 08 rubicon when the first rain the windshild leaked.the top leaks a little in the back corners?all new sh-t junk
post #4 of 60 Old 01-02-2009, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

mine leaks in on the sides and down onto the door handles and splashs onto the seats.
post #5 of 60 Old 01-02-2009, 05:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
mine leaks in on the sides and down onto the door handles and splashs onto the seats.
My factory tops did the same thing along with in the rear

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
post #6 of 60 Old 01-02-2009, 05:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

At least part of the leaking problem (on the 07/ 08's) was due to the butyl sealant that was used. I dont know if it is supposed to be part of the seal or if it was simply used to adhere the rubber, but you can have a perfectly watertight seal and then after several months of summer heat, the butyl leaks and the seals shift. They had redesigned the seal kit for the hardtop in 2008, but mine still leaks. It was fine for a couple months but then it came back.

Whether or not they have really fixed it on the 09's, I'm not sure.
post #7 of 60 Old 01-02-2009, 06:02 PM
Granite Guru

Mine leaked on the passenger side header rail, trailed down inside the plastic trim, into my floorboard. I took it to the dealership last week to have it fixed. It hasn't really rained since then, a little snow, but no leaks so far.

I wouldn't have bothered taking it in, but there was a nice puddle on my passenger side floorboard. I was thinking about putting in a koi pond, but decided that they probably wouldn't make it through the winter - maybe this summer - if it still leaks!

JD

Quote:
Originally Posted by guinness View Post
So someone thinks RDY4RKS' 6.1 hemi, solid axle, arb'd, atlas'd, long arm'd, 42'd jeep is cookie cutter? Fuck it. Im going outside and burning mine to dust. There is no hope.
post #8 of 60 Old 01-02-2009, 06:11 PM
Granite Guru

Mine started leaking about a thousand miles ago. I took it into the dealer 3 times in the last month and they finally got it fixed. I guess we will see if it holds this summer.
post #9 of 60 Old 01-02-2009, 08:28 PM
Red Sunrise=Not Pretty

Send a message via MSN to bfj aka tambil

08 soft top.. no leaks ever, except when I open the doors in the rain.

koi ponds are relaxing ...I like that idea. ROFL

Proud to be an American
Shamed of our government

Native Floridian = MUD
post #10 of 60 Old 01-03-2009, 07:45 AM
Granite Guru

08 hardtop leaked at the top of the windshield in the middle, would drip on the dash right above the radio. This was especially noticeable when braking in a nose down attitude. Took 3 times at the dealership to get it fixed.

08 Rubicon 2DR Red Rock

post #11 of 60 Old 01-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Wheeler

My 08 x softtop leaked a little thru rear window where the zipper connects, when my lazy butt decided to run it thru a touchless car wash instead of getting out and actually doing it myself. but the rest of it held up great. *side note* that was the worst car wash EVER!!! the dusty film never even came off! Manual scrubbing for me for now on...

ITS GONNA HAPPEN!!!! SOMEDAY......

Last edited by CubbieBlue; 01-03-2009 at 11:15 AM.
post #12 of 60 Old 01-03-2009, 11:11 AM
Rock God

Mine leaks in the middle of the windsheild over the radio, mosly when I'm at highway speed.I haven't had the softtop on yet(too cold out). Does that leak too?

2008 Red Rock Sahara Unlimited (stock)

PAVED ROADS
A fine example of needless
government spending
post #13 of 60 Old 01-03-2009, 01:38 PM
Rock God

I've had my "T-TOPS" off a bunch of times and I had the JK out in our last rain--NO LEAKY

You have to be careful in the REINSTALLATION PROCEDURE to insure-No Leak

JIMBO

Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #14 of 60 Old 01-03-2009, 04:28 PM
Granite Guru

Just bought an 09 last night and didnt even get it off the lot and noticed 3 soapy drips on the dash from the detail shop LOL
post #15 of 60 Old 01-04-2009, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So thats it. They still have'nt got it right. I have no idea what the hell to do now.
post #16 of 60 Old 01-04-2009, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
So thats it. They still have'nt got it right. I have no idea what the hell to do now.
Likely still not corrected. It seems that it is just a flip of the coin as to whether or not it leaks. My hardtop, like many others, leaks in the middle of the two panels and onto the console. It also channels back to the rear of the vehicle. You can sometimes feel the carpet in the rear and look in the storage tub and find evidence of this.

I keep (used to keep- when I had a JK) a few paper towels in the console and a couple of bath towels behind the seats to be on the safe side.

Many people that DO NOT have any leak issues, have simply not had theirs long enough. Once you get some summer heat on the hardtop/ soft top, it will possibly change. The reason that I feel this way, is that chrysler never seemed to actually fix this problem completely or knowingly. Again...it seems to be a flip of the coin, as to how well installed and settled in correctly- the seal is. Some got lucky with no leaks, others have had a leal from day one, and still others used to be fine but eventually leaked. Garage kept JK's will also not see the leaking as apparent as those that sit outside.

Least of my problems these days.
post #17 of 60 Old 01-04-2009, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I know it's not a life or death deal but it just pisses me off to spend that much money and have these kind of stupid problems.
post #18 of 60 Old 01-04-2009, 06:22 PM
Rock God

Just out of curiosity.. How many of those that have leaky tops leave them off for long lengths of time?
I have had mine off a couple of times but reinstalled them within a half hour or so. Put the lube on the seals on reinstallation and have yet to have a leak, except the annouying stream that comes in from the drip rail when you open the door. Will the roof panels warp, hence not seal properly if not stored correctly?

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.
post #19 of 60 Old 01-04-2009, 06:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtphoto JK View Post
Just out of curiosity.. How many of those that have leaky tops leave them off for long lengths of time?
I have had mine off a couple of times but reinstalled them within a half hour or so. Put the lube on the seals on reinstallation and have yet to have a leak, except the annouying stream that comes in from the drip rail when you open the door. Will the roof panels warp, hence not seal properly if not stored correctly?
Mine started leaking before they were ever off of the jeep. The panels themselves, actually seem to be made pretty well. I always would store mine out of direct sunlight if I could. I also made sure to never store them with any part of the seals contacting anything. I would guess that any thing that they rest against will only deform/ distort the seals, so I have always been very careful. I doubt that warping would be an issue unless they were stored with weight on them, causing them to distort. I can look at mine and see the foam tape shifting around and lifting. Not sure if the foam tape pieces are part of the original seal kit, or if part of the replacement kit.
post #20 of 60 Old 01-04-2009, 10:59 PM
Wheeler

Only had mine a couple of weeks now. No rain here, just snow so far. Been to the car wash a few times with the power wash wand and no leakage yet. I believe for 09 they added an extra lever in the middle front to tighten it up there. We'll see what happens when spring gets here and we get actual rain. I hit all the seams with the power washer to see if I had any leaks and didn't see any. I doubt rain will be any harder than what I already did to it.
post #21 of 60 Old 01-05-2009, 08:55 AM
Wheeler

I have only had my 08 for a few weeks but have been through a manual car wash a few times, heavy rain, lots of snow, and haven't noticed any leak at all. I bought a demo Limited and asked the dealer if there were problems, and none were reported. I noticed on all the 08's I looked at that the black reinforced tape has been laid below the freedom panels up front. No summer yet, and the panels were taken off once, and no leak since.

Hope it holds true...

2008 Wrangler Sahara Limited/Unlimited
Jeep Green
Auto (boooo, I know!)
6 Disc
Fanny Warmers (boooo, I know, lol!)
Dual Tops
post #22 of 60 Old 01-05-2009, 07:10 PM
Rock God

Thumbs down top leaks

My 08 leaks along the top of the doors when it rains always......just a pain when your getting in during rain and you get soaked on the legs plus the seat is wet
post #23 of 60 Old 01-05-2009, 07:32 PM
JKO Addict!

I've had my 08 unlimited for ten months now and no leaks even with the ORH Soft Top. Maybe when it rains I'll know more.
post #24 of 60 Old 01-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Granite Guru

I have had mine since mid November. It has been raining off and on ever since I bought it. I have to say, even though I am scared to say, no leaks. It will probably be full up to the seats when i get into it in the morning. By the way, it is trying to rain right now. Nothing new in Southeast "Gumbo Mud" Texas.
post #25 of 60 Old 01-05-2009, 08:34 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Mine started leaking before they were ever off of the jeep. The panels themselves, actually seem to be made pretty well. I always would store mine out of direct sunlight if I could. I also made sure to never store them with any part of the seals contacting anything. I would guess that any thing that they rest against will only deform/ distort the seals, so I have always been very careful. I doubt that warping would be an issue unless they were stored with weight on them, causing them to distort. I can look at mine and see the foam tape shifting around and lifting. Not sure if the foam tape pieces are part of the original seal kit, or if part of the replacement kit.
Have an 07 with hardtop and softtop and never once had a leak... I take it off and on as much as anyone.... I lived in Cali where it was 110-115 and now in Colorado where is was -18 a few weeks ago and neither the soft or hardtop has leaked... I clean my seals with a damp washcloth every now and then but really don't worry about it much. Guess I was lucky!!! knock on wood

Lifted by
, JKS DC's, Skid Row Protected,
ProComp 7105, Kevlar MTR's,
Switchblade rear, Red Rock Fab stinger etc...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode