Cold air intake question... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 11-20-2008, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Cold air intake question...

I just purchased a 08 4dr rubi and I am considering getting a K&N cold air intake. Is it worth the $$. According to their sales pitch it should increase the hp a little but what does it do the the gas mileage?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 11-20-2008, 11:30 AM
Rock God

no, it is not worth the money. no cold air intake is.
post #3 of 10 Old 11-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to WTF_LOL

If everything else stayed the same it would give you slightly better gas milage due to a leaner AFR's. However, the ECU would compensate returning it to the same mixture as before. NOw if you had a way to tune for the new intake then you could lean it out.

To answer your question, there really is no noticeable increased power or MPG's from an intake unless you had a way to tune for it. People will argue both sides, but at the end of the day it is nothing noticable. People have al sorts of dyno charts showing increases and decreases of a couple horse power. FAct is you can get the same variances by simply doing a dyno pull every couple hours with no changes.

I would say the real benifit would be a filter that can be cleaned rather then replaced and many (not all) can filter better then stock. also they look cooler lol
post #4 of 10 Old 11-20-2008, 11:49 AM
Rock God

save your money...just get a k&n replacement filter from your stock air filter.i have this..works great..after a good day of wheeling i clean it out good as new...
post #5 of 10 Old 11-20-2008, 12:35 PM
Granite Guru

Talking

Most of the CAI's just make you more hydrolock prone from water splashes and so forth.

Save your $.

- TEEJ

2008 JK 4 Dr X. 5 Speed, LSD, JKS QD, 3.73 Diffs. Husky Liners and Daystar Hood Wranglers. Pine Stripes.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-08-2009, 05:56 PM

I went back to stock intake box with K@N filter, looked like water was splashing in with AEM cone filter, bad design? liked the sound though
post #7 of 10 Old 01-08-2009, 06:44 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKluver View Post
I went back to stock intake box with K@N filter, looked like water was splashing in with AEM cone filter, bad design? liked the sound though
You should get a AEV snorkel. and you will have no prom with water...sell that AEM filter on e bay?.ck on my name and ck out my pictures.
post #8 of 10 Old 01-08-2009, 06:55 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i got roughly 1 millon extra horse power with my CAI and TBS lol j/k i love my intake but mainly for the sound and ability to clean the fliter but really no performance gians especially with the tbs but sounds way cool hahahahaha

www.jeepasylum.com
post #9 of 10 Old 01-10-2009, 10:18 PM
Wheeler

A higher flow rate air filter will result in less pumping losses which most often leads to increased power and mileage. But the benefit dependent on how much better the aftermarket filter is designed and whether or not the stock system is adequate.

While cruising down the road the RPMs and flow rate are relatively low so the difference usually isn't real apparent. As you get to higher flow rates, such as pulling power on a dyno, or if the systems flow rate is increased due to modifications (exhaust, supercharger...) then there is more of a benefit.

The amount of pressure (vacuum) between the filter and throttle could be monitored to compare air filter performance and signal when it needs to be replaced. If a gage is used it must be sensitive enough to read the slight difference from atmospheric pressure.

Side note - Many Diesel trucks including the Dodge Cummins has a device on the air filter box that will indicate the maximum vacuum in the box to indicate when the filter needs to be replaced. I have thought of adapting one to fit my Jeep but there may be too much of a difference in vacuum between the two systems.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-11-2009, 10:56 AM
Wheeler

When my 08 Unlimited had less then 100 miles on it, I installed a Volant CAI. The intake noise @ full throttle was so obnoxious, that I could'nt carry on a conversation with a passenger. I put up with it for about 5K miles. It got to be so annoying that I went back to the stock intake system. Guess what? NO DIFFERENCE in performance or mileage.

I believe in the four "G's"............God, Guns, Gold, Groceries.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode