JKOwners Forum banner

Auto vs manual

10K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Will Scarlet 
#1 ·
I know this is more of a preference, but how do owners feel about auto vs manual transmissions? Which do you feel is better for the street or trail? I'm torn between the two at the moment and looking to order my new JK. Any pros and cons you can add to sway my decision is greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
I have the 6spd manual in my JKUR - thought it would be more of a "purist" election, but the auto trans is so robust it never really mattered.

I've had auto and manual TJs and there was a difference there.

If I had to do it again, I would probably get the auto but it's really not that big of a difference - just preference. I commute through center city Philly when I go into the office, so there might be a little benefit there, but the manual is not onerous once you get used to the reverse lockout being a bit lax.

#4 ·
An automatic is absolutely the preferred transmission for wheeling, but a six speed isn't a huge hinderance if you can operate it well.

My Jeep is a 6 speed and I enjoy very technical rock crawling. There are times when I want to rip the shifter out of the floor and beat myself with it and other times that I've been thankful I have a clutch to stab. (An auto with a gate-less shifter would operate the same way, but thats beyond the conversation here.)

For daily driving and a little trail riding I don't think you'll see a huge disadvantage with the manual, but do know if you're planning on wheeling you will have a whole lot more to think about while you're on the trail other than where your tires are on the line.

#6 ·
When I bought my '14 Sport I went with the auto because I was having a lot of pain in my right shoulder. Yes I know I should have ordered a RHD manual JK, if Anvil was still offered as a color I probably would upgrade.

I learned to drive on a tractor and have had a number of manuals over the years, That number is 3 but I can still drive a manual.

#7 ·
When I bought my '14 Sport I went with the auto because I was having a lot of pain in my right shoulder. Yes I know I should have ordered a RHD manual JK, if Anvil was still offered as a color I probably would upgrade.

I learned to drive on a tractor and have had a number of manuals over the years, That number is 3 but I can still drive a manual.

So do you regret getting the auto?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#11 ·
I see the bonus here! Lucky for me my wife can drive a stick (and she doesn't drink!). She actually prefers the manual (I was going to say "stick", but then things just take a turn for the worse). :grin2:

Placed my order this morning. Went with the manual 6spd. Now the wait begins. Thank you all for the insight, it really was tougher to make the decision than I thought.

#12 ·
I love my manual for my daily driving but out at Moab I wished I had an auto.

#13 ·
they both have their benefits and disadvantages. From what I understand if you do a decent amount of rocks you might prefer an auto vs a manual. Personally theres very few vehicles I'd be happy owning that are automatics. I hate driving them and never want to. And I don't trust automatic transmissions in big heavy trucks. (i've seen more automatics fail before manuals in my short lifetime of driving)

With that said, manuals are a dying breed. They are now a days in general slower, worse mpg, and harder to find. Although with my low stock highway gears, 35s and the electronic throttle, I'm not much a fan of jeep's manual. Theres a ton of lag between stepping on the gas and actual engine response making shifting always clunky. With a tuner or atleast rubicon gearing it'd probably be a lot better.

#14 ·
I got a '12 auto and to a degree I regret not going with a manual. The plus of auto is that my wife can drive it. The downside is that you can't use automatic lockers in the auto......

#16 ·
I like that my manual will crawl at idle without a stalling of forward motion 'cause there's no torque converter to start slipping. I just sit back, listening to Flight of the Valkyries, as the Jeep calmly idles over that pile of logs, rocks, mudhole, hill...whatever's in the way.

I have never found a use for an automatic in particularly slick conditions. Absolutely hate 'em in that respect. It seems the first thing to happen when giving 'em gas, however judiciously, is wheel spin...

If I wanted to spin wheels with an automatic, I'd go drag racing.
If I wanted to spin wheels in the dirt, I'd get a Super Stadium truck.
If I wanted to make progress in any and all conditions, I'd get a manual.

#18 ·
On my 2017 rubicon cost played a role as well, I wanted 4.10 gears, but when you add the $1600 optional automatic transmission you lose the 4.10 gears. You then need to get the optional 4.10 gears for $400. So for $2000 I'll shift gears, I prefer a manual transmission anyway.

#19 ·
When I got my 17 the dealer told me that the LSD was not available in auto with the 3.73

Although he didn't know the "max tow package" needed 3.73, and seemed to think all JKUs towed 5k

And I'm not totally convinced he knew the difference between 3.73 or 3.21

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

#20 ·
As already stated, there are advantages and disadvantages to both. But for me there is no choice but manual.

My last Jeep was an automatic. And although it drove well and had no issues, I really couldn't stand that it was an automatic. Just too boring to drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.