Cracked my hardtop. Question about repairing - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 03-20-2017, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Cracked my hardtop. Question about repairing

So I dropped my hardtop trying to put it back on the Jeep the other night and cracked it by the rear window. The crack appears to go clear through. I know the tops are made from SMC and not fiberglass but I'm just wondering if anyone has done their own repair on a hardtop and what product you used. I can order SMC compatible resin but its pretty expensive plus it would be at least a week before I'd get it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 03-20-2017, 10:11 PM
Rock God

Garage

Hard Top Repair
Q - How to Repair Hard Top Dings & Scratches

5My hardtop repair and paint - Jeep Wrangler Forum
Sucks about your cracked top. I think jscherb on expeditionportal uses fibreglass for his projects. Unless he just makes moulds and re-does from scratch and not repairs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtman View Post
Running 37's as a daily driver is dumb
post #3 of 6 Old 03-21-2017, 06:09 AM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage

i wish OP wasn't in Wyoming; I have a pristine '11 Unlimited freedom top for sale for $1000 at present, heh. Drive to Nashville much?

lllllll '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ

post #4 of 6 Old 03-21-2017, 07:42 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
i wish OP wasn't in Wyoming; I have a pristine '11 Unlimited freedom top for sale for $1000 at present, heh. Drive to Nashville much?
Damn!!!! $1000 for a hard? That's a steal a should sell quickly at that price.

Op, If you want to make the drive to Colorado I would be happy to fix it for you for nothing. Ive done a ton of composite work and your crack shouldn't take much material.

The resin they use in these isn't great so your repair resin needs to be epoxy. A good quality generic epoxy would be west system and that could be available from west marine . Com. I would fix that by lightly scoring the onside of the crack into a "V" and cut some 4oz s glass onto three patches getting slightly bigger with each patch, about a half inch.Scuff the area to be patched with 80 grit, wipe with alcohol(NOT acetone or mek) paint some resin on there with a brush and stick your smallest patch on. Dry. Poke at it with the brush and when it starts to turn clear put the next piece of cloth on and do the same and so on. Use the resin sparingly, only enough to get it clear.
This could be done with the top right side up but flipped over is better and for a really smooth surface after your last patch you can hot coat or paint some resin over it and that will stop the edges from curling up a millimeter or so. Its possible that with paint it won't even be noticed. I wouldn't do anything to the outside except maybe draw a sharpie down the crack to hide the white.
post #5 of 6 Old 03-21-2017, 02:45 PM
ಠ_ಠ

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderball View Post
Damn!!!! $1000 for a hard? That's a steal a should sell quickly at that price.

Op, If you want to make the drive to Colorado I would be happy to fix it for you for nothing. Ive done a ton of composite work and your crack shouldn't take much material.

The resin they use in these isn't great so your repair resin needs to be epoxy. A good quality generic epoxy would be west system and that could be available from west marine . Com. I would fix that by lightly scoring the onside of the crack into a "V" and cut some 4oz s glass onto three patches getting slightly bigger with each patch, about a half inch.Scuff the area to be patched with 80 grit, wipe with alcohol(NOT acetone or mek) paint some resin on there with a brush and stick your smallest patch on. Dry. Poke at it with the brush and when it starts to turn clear put the next piece of cloth on and do the same and so on. Use the resin sparingly, only enough to get it clear.
This could be done with the top right side up but flipped over is better and for a really smooth surface after your last patch you can hot coat or paint some resin over it and that will stop the edges from curling up a millimeter or so. Its possible that with paint it won't even be noticed. I wouldn't do anything to the outside except maybe draw a sharpie down the crack to hide the white.
so, if you facebook, check this out. for those that don't , check the album out here
I can't figure , except maybe for time of year, why this wouldn't sell like yesterday's news. I posted at 1100 originally but just can't go lower than a grand. its stpid. Am I right? apologies to OP if that is sout of line

lllllll '11 JKUs
lllllll '95 XJ

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 03-21-2017 at 02:50 PM.
post #6 of 6 Old 03-21-2017, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Garage

Thanks for the links coilrod.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
That's a better price than one that's for sale about 3 hours away from me in Utah. That guy is asking like $2400 for his.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderball View Post
Thanks for the offer but if I'm going down to CO I've got an old high school buddy that lives in the Grand Junction area that knows how to tackle a job like this so I might just get the materials and go see him since its been awhile. Depending on what part of CO though, I'm always down to meet fellow Jeepers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode