2017 Rubicon w/200 miles failing axels... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By 808Rubicon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 03-20-2017, 07:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

2017 Rubicon w/200 miles failing axels...

Aloha everyone!

Just picked up my brand new 2017 Rubicon Unlimited Hard Rock last Saturday with 23 miles on her. The very next day I noticed a ticking noise coming from under the car. Scheduled an appointment with service and dropped her of 3 days ago. Just got word from the service manager that both front axles will need replacing due to premature wear ��

I'm livid to say the least. Guess I have no house by to accept the repairs and carry on

What I'm worried about is what the underlying issues may be that are causing the wear on the front axels... any ideas?

Last edited by 808Rubicon; 03-21-2017 at 06:50 PM. Reason: typo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 03-20-2017, 08:00 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to RedrockHemi

I would get exact details as this is not common issue. I work at a dealer and I've never seen both front and rear axles replaced as an assembly. Plus the factory won't let you replace assemblies but rather only to fix them........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08 Red Rock Rubicon Unlimited, 5.7 Hemi, 4.88's, 3.5 in Nth Deg short arm, 35in KM2's, AEV Pintler Beadlocks, Teraflex diff covers, Ruff Stuff Custom tie rod, AEV corner guards painted to match, painted flares, painted hardtop, leather seats, AEV front bumper painted to match, Warn 9000 XDi, Mopar Rear w/swingaway painted to match, HID's, TMD cowl Induction hood, Nemisis Billy Rockers, Warn Dual modes up front, PIAA's on the windshield
post #3 of 22 Old 03-20-2017, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedrockHemi View Post
I would get exact details as this is not common issue. I work at a dealer and I've never seen both front and rear axles replaced as an assembly. Plus the factory won't let you replace assemblies but rather only to fix them........

Sorry should have been more clear hey we're just both front axles not the rears. I had them pull the entire front diff and look at all the teeth and other related components and they said everything looks good just the abnormal wear on the front axles.

Last edited by 808Rubicon; 03-21-2017 at 06:50 PM.

post #4 of 22 Old 03-20-2017, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedrockHemi View Post

Service manager said he put the order in for the two new front axles and they should be in on Wednesday

Last edited by 808Rubicon; 03-21-2017 at 06:51 PM.
post #5 of 22 Old 03-20-2017, 08:42 PM
Rock God

That makes no sense to me. The front axle shafts were making a ticking noise and are being replaced due to premature wear......the only moving part on them is the u-joint. And why or how would that fail so soon??? And why not replace the u-joint?

Something is not right here......

I think you are being BS'd.
post #6 of 22 Old 03-20-2017, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucleophile View Post
That makes no sense to me. The front axle shafts were making a ticking noise and are being replaced due to premature wear......the only moving part on them is the u-joint. And why or how would that fail so soon??? And why not replace the u-joint?

Something is not right here......

I think you are being BS'd.
Thank you for all your insight as I'm completely new to jeeps. Very bizarre to me as well can't imagine why this is happening. I'm very disappointed so far almost to the point of regretting this purchase.

According to the service manager they "isolated" the noise to the front axle areas. When they pulled the front axels they noticed some excessive abnormal wear on them which leads him to believe they are the culprit of the noise...

I did a quick visual inspection under the vehicle before I took it in and all joints, driveshafts, visible drivetrain all looked "normal" to me I mean a car with 200 miles should still be immaculate? Just kinda a bummer I only got to drive the car for 7 days before taking it in

Last edited by 808Rubicon; 03-21-2017 at 06:51 PM.
post #7 of 22 Old 03-20-2017, 10:07 PM
Granite Guru

Maybe if you spelled axles right they wouldn't be offended ! lol
post #8 of 22 Old 03-20-2017, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahreno View Post
Maybe if you spelled axles right they wouldn't be offended ! lol
Whoops sorry about that didn't realize the typo this entire time haha!
post #9 of 22 Old 03-21-2017, 04:25 AM
Wheeler

Definitely abnormal - it's not "premature wear" but rather "something wasn't done right" in either manufacturing or assembly.

Under warranty, but inconvenient. Should be great when you get it back though.

I'm on my 4th wrangler, 2nd Rubicon (first JKU), and every one was purchased new and was off road within 2000 miles. Never had any problems with any of them. They've all been commuter DD, off-road weekend heroes, road trip cruisers, pack mules, and generally ridden fairly hard. No. Problems.

Dustin Tarditi
Haddonfield, NJ
2015 Tank JKUR
post #10 of 22 Old 03-21-2017, 06:06 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

When you say "front axles"...you mean the front axle shafts correct?

I still think you are somehow being BS'd. What the hell clicks on the front axle shafts but the U joint or the unit bearings. Both of which can be replaced without swapping out the entire shafts.

something is weird

TC
Crawling For Reid March 17, 2018 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 22 Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 AM
Rock God

Another dealership service employee here, sounds like a weird case. Anytime I hear a customer refer to "ticking" it makes me think of the head problems the 3.6L had in 2012.

Keep us updated, I'm interested to hear how this shakes out

2010 4-DOOR MOUNTAIN
post #12 of 22 Old 03-21-2017, 09:16 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarditi View Post
Definitely abnormal - it's not "premature wear" but rather "something wasn't done right" in either manufacturing or assembly.

Under warranty, but inconvenient. Should be great when you get it back though.

I'm on my 4th wrangler, 2nd Rubicon (first JKU), and every one was purchased new and was off road within 2000 miles. Never had any problems with any of them. They've all been commuter DD, off-road weekend heroes, road trip cruisers, pack mules, and generally ridden fairly hard. No. Problems.
That's amazing! I'm looking forward to many trips and adventures with mine. Glad to hear some great feedback as to the reliability of them!
post #13 of 22 Old 03-21-2017, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
When you say "front axles"...you mean the front axle shafts correct?

I still think you are somehow being BS'd. What the hell clicks on the front axle shafts but the U joint or the unit bearings. Both of which can be replaced without swapping out the entire shafts.

something is weird
I hear you on that. I'm worried about what may be the cause of the so called "wear" on the axles... I find it strange how a axle can be making this ticking noise, I'd suspect the u joints like you mentioned
post #14 of 22 Old 03-21-2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIZZLY47 View Post
Another dealership service employee here, sounds like a weird case. Anytime I hear a customer refer to "ticking" it makes me think of the head problems the 3.6L had in 2012.

Keep us updated, I'm interested to hear how this shakes out
As I was digging deeper it seems the head issues was the only issues causing a "ticking" as well. That's my worst fear. Apparently they put a chassisscope or stethoscope whatever the proper name is for it and noticed all the noise coming from the front axles/ diff area. Upon dropping the front diff assembly they noticed wear on the front axles

They service manager assured me the axles should be in Wednesday and if all goes well I should hear from them on Thursday. Keep you in the loop
post #15 of 22 Old 03-21-2017, 09:47 AM
A JKO DICK

Garage

This smells like red birdshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
What is wrong with stupid people? Never mind
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
If I'm gonna kiss a man, I want it to be hard and rough... not gay!
post #16 of 22 Old 03-21-2017, 10:42 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Ask to see the axle shafts that they took out and get a pic of the "abnormal wear" they are talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #17 of 22 Old 03-21-2017, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Ask to see the axle shafts that they took out and get a pic of the "abnormal wear" they are talking about.
Just left a message for my service advisor asking for pictures of the front axles with the wear on them so hopefully he'll get those over to me. Once I receive any news I'll check back in
post #18 of 22 Old 03-26-2017, 02:10 PM
Rock God

Possibly D30 axles slammed into the D44 .. they would fit but the splines would bounce around in there and make a racket.. There is just NO WAY Ujoints will start ticking with only 200 miles unless the retainer clips were not installed and the caps fell out.... But both sides?

Jeff _(OllllllO)_

08 Black and Khaki JK Sahara Unlimited, Dual Tops, MyGig, Tow pkg, Trax-Lok Rear Diff,
Mods -- 3.5" Rock Krawler front springs, 2.5 TerraFlex BB rear, Mopar D44HD/J8, OX Locker, RCVs, 37x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on ProComp 7069, AEV Premium front bumper, Smittybilt X2O 12K Comp winch.

Last edited by jtphoto JK; 03-26-2017 at 02:13 PM.
post #19 of 22 Old 03-26-2017, 08:40 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
Both of which can be replaced without swapping out the entire shafts.
I'd be very surprised if a Jeep dealer replaced a u-joint when they could instead order you a new shaft. These days it's all about ordering the part number that represents the full assembly of whatever is broken.
post #20 of 22 Old 03-26-2017, 11:56 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I guess we'll see tomorrow. I guess all the "new parts" are in and they'll be starting my jeep tomorrow mid day. I also requested photos as mentioned above keep everyone posted! Hope I can have my baby back soon.... she's been in the shop longer then I actually drove her 😔
post #21 of 22 Old 03-30-2017, 11:05 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Just got her back yesterday and she's good as new!!! So far.... lol they ended up explaining to me that it actually wasn't the axles but instead the "oil slingers" so those got replaced along with guides and seals or something along those lines. Got the paper work and work order stuff. Took a picture of the worn oil slingers I'll post those up a little later today
Emoto likes this.
post #22 of 22 Old 03-30-2017, 01:07 PM
Granite Guru

Glad to here you got your Jeep back. Now go and enjoy it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode