Possible lost "omph" in 3rd gear in auto tranny? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 08-30-2008, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Question Possible lost "omph" in 3rd gear in auto tranny?

hey all, well the other day, my mother and I were driving on the parkway, and when you go about p[ast 60mph, it hits thrid gear in an auto tranny.. (in a rubi unlimited if that helps)... and well we were gonna try to pass somebody and it basically lost all power, the revometer was at 4x1000, and we were at 65? she held it there for about 10 or 12 seconds then let off the gas.. before we take it in to the dealer for a check up, we would like to see if its made like that with 4.11 gearing or if the tranny needs to be adjusted... this happens all the time when we hit 60+, engine hot or not.. thanks ^_^

just trying to get by, eventually the jeep will be mine
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-30-2008, 08:50 PM
Granite Guru

I don't have an Unlimited, but mine never did that with the 4.10s.

2007 JK Rubicon
Clayton Offroad 3.5" | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Cragar Soft 8s | JE Reel 1350 drive lines | Alloy USA front axle shafts
post #3 of 9 Old 08-31-2008, 09:48 AM
TrailDuty.com

Approx 4,000 rpm at 65 mph would put you in 2nd gear not 3rd. 3rd gear would be about 2,800 rpm and nicely into the power band, so even when locked up you should have no problem accelerating.

I'm guessing she's just slamming her foot to the floor and jumping into 2nd. Next time go easier on the gas pedal, get into 3rd, look for about 2800 rpm at 65mph and you should accelerate just fine.
post #4 of 9 Old 09-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Rock God

yeah when I had my auto pressing the pedal to the floor did nothing but jump up the RPMs and make a lot of noise. But if I pressed the pedal more like 3/4 of the way down it worked much better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #5 of 9 Old 09-02-2008, 10:17 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjerm View Post
But if I pressed the pedal more like 3/4 of the way down it worked much better.
That's the answer, just learn how much pedal is needed to select the right gear and get best performance.
post #6 of 9 Old 09-02-2008, 10:57 AM
Rock God

Mine is doing something similar. I hammer the throttle and rpm's go up but the Jeep barely goes. I checked for codes and came up with p0068 (throttle position sensor). I will be taking it in this weed. I am not getting a check engine light.
post #7 of 9 Old 09-02-2008, 12:06 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn View Post
Mine is doing something similar. I hammer the throttle and rpm's go up but the Jeep barely goes. I checked for codes and came up with p0068 (throttle position sensor). I will be taking it in this weed. I am not getting a check engine light.
Interesting. Mine has done the same high revving go nowhere thing from day 1. I figured "that's just the way it is" and learned where the pedal's sweet spot is to keep that from happening. Let us know what you find out.
post #8 of 9 Old 09-03-2008, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

hmm, ill have to try the 3/4 trick, but yeah when u hammer it, it just seems like the tranny slips and it goes barely anywhere

post #9 of 9 Old 09-05-2008, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

hey again, well i tired the 3/4 trick today.. we were going about 70 at 2,200 rpms in im assuming 3rd gear? but didnt go into over drive to the best of my knowledge, we didnt press the little button.. im not even sure what overdrive does so i didnt i press it haha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode