Steering Clock-Spring Removal? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Question Steering Clock-Spring Removal?

I've searched every forum out there, nothing, found an online instructional to remove everything up to the clockspring and that's it. Only other thing I've come across was online Chrysler mechanics charging for IM tech tips and I really just need a diagram or walk-thru at this point.

That out of the way has anyone came across a link or know exactly what the process is to remove the clockspring unit itself? Everything is apart already, airbag is removed, steering wheel off, upper/lower panels removed, unplugged the three pigtails from the column to the clockspring assembly, I see 1 T20 torx screw and 1 philips head screw which allows the blinker assembly to slide ride out of place, but it seems there is some trick to finish removing it.

My clockspring is toast (no horn and airbag light) which is a common JK problem so I know this is what needs to replace just trying to not break/have to buy any more than I need to replace. Ordering a new one tomorrow, hopefully they have one in stock somewhere.

Last edited by SASQUATCH; 05-20-2010 at 08:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 05-20-2010, 09:57 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Sas, I bought the Chilton's online repair manual DON'T BUY THIS YET!!! - all it shows are the trouble codes and the TSBs. When I logged on for the first time I was pissed to say the least. I emailed and asked for a refund and got a call back a short while later. The person on the phone said that it would not be a problem refunding the money and said that the 08 JK stuff is all but finished and ready to upload, they were doing some tweaking and verifying and it would be about a month. She said that if there was a specific "something" that I needed I could email them and they would send me a .pdf. It took a couple of days to get what I needed but I got it. Pretty cool that they called back fast and had a solution for me so I kept the subscription.

I just sent the request for the clockspring removal, hopefully I will get a speedy reply.

Once the entire repair manual is online I will post up a review.
post #3 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 03:33 AM
Rock God

Garage

Sas, check the JK FSM (see link in sig).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 05:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice!
post #5 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 05:47 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SASQUATCH View Post
[COLOR="DarkOrange"] Ordering a new one tomorrow, hopefully they have one in stock somewhere.
Good Luck! They were on NATIONAL BACKORDER a couple weeks ago. That was Allen Samuel's (at Alliance) response yet Screamin Lizards searched local inventory and found one available at Allen Samuels (Fort Worth). Gotta love some dealers!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #6 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 06:23 AM
TrailDuty.com

I've done it a couple of time, and don't recall anything difficult. Here's the FSM procedure:

1. Place the front wheels in the straight ahead position and inhibit the steering column shaft from rotation.

2. Disconnect and isolate the battery negative cable.

3. Remove the steering wheel from the steering shaft. (Refer to 19 - STEERING/COLUMN/STEERING WHEEL - REMOVAL).

4. If the removed clockspring is to be reused, be certain to secure the clockspring rotor to the clockspring case to maintain clockspring centering until the steering wheel is reinstalled on the steering column. If clockspring centering is not maintained, the clockspring must be centered again before the steering wheel is reinstalled. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/RESTRAINTS/CLOCKSPRING - STANDARD PROCEDURE - CLOCKSPRING CENTERING).

5. Move the steering column to the fully lowered position and leave the tilt release lever in the released (down) position.

6. Remove the upper and lower shrouds from the steering column. (Refer to 19 - STEERING/COLUMN - REMOVAL).

7. Remove the right multi-function switch (3) from the clockspring (4). (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/WIPERS/WASHERS/RIGHT MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH - REMOVAL).

8. Remove the left multi-function switch (5) from the clockspring. (Refer to 8 - ELECTRICAL/LAMPS/LIGHTING - EXTERIOR/LEFT MULTI-FUNCTION SWITCH - REMOVAL).

9. Remove the three screws (1) that secure the clockspring to the steering column lock housing (2).

10. Pull the clockspring (1) away from the steering column lock housing far enough to access and disconnect the three instrument panel wire harness connectors (2) from the receptacles on the back of the clockspring case.

11. Remove the clockspring from the steering column.
post #7 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 06:38 AM
Rock God

They are on backorder.
567 on order with 384 to be released May 22.
Where are you at?
I can send you a list of dealers in your area that have some in stock.
Part#5156106AA

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
post #8 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 09:16 AM
Rock God

Just this morning my airbag indicator light & chime started turning on & off constantly. With what I've read, it seems to point to the steering wheel clock-spring. (It is annoying as hell having the "chime" sounding off every few seconds.)

How much does one of these Clock-Springs cost?

Thanks,

Ty...

Your Southern California wheelin' Attorney

post #9 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 09:47 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4LOYR View Post
Just this morning my airbag indicator light & chime started turning on & off constantly. With what I've read, it seems to point to the steering wheel clock-spring. (It is annoying as hell having the "chime" sounding off every few seconds.)

How much does one of these Clock-Springs cost?

Thanks,

Ty...
$235

That is also a safety related item and may be covered under warranty.
If not some dealers may give a club discount.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
post #10 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 09:51 AM
TrailDuty.com

I paid $176 for my last one from mopardiscountparts.com
post #11 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 11:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have to replace my steering wheel because I bent it in my wreck. So far no problems associated with the clock spring. Should I replace it while I'm in there or just wait until/if there is a problem later on? Sounds like there's a lot more involved in changing the clock spring than just a steering wheel removal.
post #12 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 11:52 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotorHead View Post
I have to replace my steering wheel because I bent it in my wreck. So far no problems associated with the clock spring. Should I replace it while I'm in there or just wait until/if there is a problem later on? Sounds like there's a lot more involved in changing the clock spring than just a steering wheel removal.
It is not difficult once you've got the steering wheel off, which is not that difficult to do, but if it's not broken I wouldn't replace it myself.
post #13 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 11:56 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
It is not difficult once you've got the steering wheel off, which is not that difficult to do, but if it's not broken I wouldn't replace it myself.
That's kind of what I was thinking, especially after seeing how much that sucker costs.

Expect a call from me shortly Phil. I gotta spend some money.
post #14 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
$235

That is also a safety related item and may be covered under warranty.
If not some dealers may give a club discount.
Quote:
Thanks. (I like PhilD's price better). In the mean time I just pulled the fuses for the darn thing and the super annoying "chime" went away (thankfully). THe light is also on, but that's not a big deal until I can get the part ordered.

Your Southern California wheelin' Attorney

post #15 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Thanks everyone, in true Yeti tradition I trudged forward, took some good pics, but I'll see what writeup is on here already. There were 2 in the Houston area and going on backorder as stated in this thread...freaking $228 bucks. Works like a charm now.
post #16 of 18 Old 05-21-2010, 05:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
YES, BUT they also indicate on NATIONAL BACK ORDER.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #17 of 18 Old 02-21-2014, 05:17 PM

ESP & BAS light's how to take it OFF
post #18 of 18 Old 05-22-2014, 09:02 PM

2007 JK. My passenger airbag light came on couple months ago. Goes out for a few seconds once in awhile. I checked All the connections under the seat and things look fine. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode