Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Dacula, Georgia
Feedback: 0 reviews
My parking brake is almost useless. I have to pull it all the way to the top to have any effect.
Does anybody know how to adjust the cable? I found an exert from the FSM out there on the internet on adjusting the brake itself, but I can't find anything about adjusting the cable. From what I can tell, you have to pull the center console. Anybody got any ideas? Also, is there any chance you can adjust the parking brake the old fashion way by applying the brakes in reverse? In this case you would have to apply the parking brake.
Also if anybody could enlighten me on the adjusting tool mentioned below.
WITH ADJUSTING TOOL (ROTOR INSTALLED)
Adjustment can be made with a standard brake gauge or with adjusting tool. Adjustment is performed with the complete brake assembly installed on the backing plate.
1. Be sure parking brake lever is fully released.
2. Raise vehicle so rear wheels can be rotated freely.
3. Remove plug from each access hole in brake support plates.
4. Loosen parking brake cable adjustment nut until there is slack in front cable.
5. Insert adjusting tool through support plate access hole and engage tool in teeth of adjusting screw star wheel .
6. Rotate adjuster screw star wheel (move tool handle upward) until slight drag can be felt when wheel is rotated.
7. Push and hold adjuster lever away from star wheel with thin screwdriver.
8. Back off adjuster screw star wheel until brake drag is eliminated.
9. Repeat adjustment at opposite wheel. Be sure adjustment is equal at both wheels.
10. Install support plate access hole plugs.
11. Adjust parking brake cable and lower vehicle.
12. Depress park brake lever and make sure park brakes hold the vehicle stationary.
13. Release park brake lever.