Rubi tires thread separating? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 01-21-2008, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Rubi tires thread separating?

Just got the stock Rubi tires balanced because the front was starting to vibrate. The wear patter was horrible with one lug noticably higher than another next to it. All around the tire you have higher and lower lugs.

The mechanic said that the radial threads had shifted and the tire wasn't any good.

Does this make sense? Should I expect the dealer to replace the tire?

Thanks.

- Ruskin
2.5"Tera, 34"Maxxis, Front Stubby, Cobra75, Flapless Seatbelts & Grounded Floormats
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 01-21-2008, 06:14 PM
Wheeler

This sounds more like a shock problem, I have seen this type of wear due to increased bounce of the wheel, which can seem like an out of balance wheel.

Just my 2 cents.

Red Rock Rubicon 2007.
post #3 of 4 Old 01-22-2008, 07:39 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard13756 View Post
This sounds more like a shock problem, I have seen this type of wear due to increased bounce of the wheel, which can seem like an out of balance wheel.
Or an out of balance wheel. Cupping is pretty common when the balance is way off.
post #4 of 4 Old 01-22-2008, 09:57 AM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to b1pig

having been somewhat poor as a kid, we had to buy used tires for a long time... up until I was about 17. the steel belt layers CAN separate. usually, in my experience it makes itself known with a slight out-of-round... hump or flat spot as viewed from the side, or will literally warp the tire as viewed from the rear (as if mounted). it becomes even more evident when deflated.

only really bad (and dangerous) ones will actually cause the vehicle to shift or bounce under full or normal inflation. one of the contributors is patching holes. often, it can develop a weakness in the steel belts. this has been an argument for years with patching tires on police cruisers which can see speeds over 100 mph at any given time.

that is one reason why there are speed limitations on vehicles with mud tires..... the added weight of the tread block at high speeds can literally separate the block from the carcas. i did this once myself with an early set of Good Year Wrangler R/T tires... in an unloaded HMMWV that was very fast. since then, i have ony seen one set like that. it was a set of Swamper LTBs that a local shop manager had on a 1500 Chevy. He constantly drove at or above interstate speeds.

it's possible, but i would rule out suspension and alignment issues first.

you could try spinning the tire either on the Jeep jacked up or on a wheel balancer at running pressure and with 5-10 psi in them. if there is any wobble or warp in the tire... NOT THE RIM, then the tire guy may very well be right.

Last edited by b1pig; 01-22-2008 at 10:02 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode