No More Hood Lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 Old 01-12-2008, 12:18 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

No More Hood Lift

Well I did the the Mod for the crazy Hood Lift at 65-70 mph...scary. It doesn't move at all at 75, just got done testing for about 25 miles between 65-75mph higway. What a difference now, coming back from Camp Jeep last year my Son was actually worried the hood was going to leave the Jeep. Soild now.
Easy cheap Mod, > 36" long, 1/2" (osd) black rubber hose bought at A&A Auto, black silicone & taped it over night. Piece of cake. Also removed the the spring beside the latch on hood. The air doesn't push that flimsy thin piece of rubber molding down now.

Jim,
USMC 0311 - 1811 RVN (Dec 67 - Aug 69) DAV, DMZ "Leatherneck square"((To All The "November Charlie Foxtrot's" that think they know)) You Are Clueless
G27 , G26, & G22-C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 Old 01-13-2008, 08:35 AM
Granite Guru

Hey nam! Is this an 07 thing? I've never experienced it on my 08, yet.

WHEN in DOUBT, GAS-IT !

EARTH FIRST! We'll JEEP the other planets later!
post #3 of 39 Old 01-13-2008, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by luigi0523 View Post
Hey nam! Is this an 07 thing? I've never experienced it on my 08, yet.
Ya no,..it might be, they might of replaced that very thin flimsy rubber molding with a heavier piece that won't collapse and let the 70 mph wind come under your hood. Just check it out & you'll no. Let me no if they changed it. I no this 1/2" hose blocks all frontal air & that's the ticket.

Jim,
USMC 0311 - 1811 RVN (Dec 67 - Aug 69) DAV, DMZ "Leatherneck square"((To All The "November Charlie Foxtrot's" that think they know)) You Are Clueless
G27 , G26, & G22-C
post #4 of 39 Old 01-13-2008, 01:23 PM
Wheeler

First time the hood jumped on me I thought I was seeing things. I'll be doing this today!!! Spooky......
post #5 of 39 Old 01-13-2008, 03:06 PM
Granite Guru

Does it still close all the way like before or is it sticking up any?

07 Rubi Unlimited , 4.5 clayton longarm, 37" Maxxis treps, AtoZ fabrication, Genright, and Polyperformance
post #6 of 39 Old 01-13-2008, 03:13 PM
Granite Guru

Haven't had any problems with my 08. Drove 600 miles + round trip, never moved a bit.

08 Rubicon 2DR Red Rock

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 39 Old 01-13-2008, 03:52 PM
Wheeler

Loose Hood

I have a 08 and my hood jumps up/down when on the highway as semis pass going the other way. I am going to try your suggest Monday when the hardware store opens.
post #8 of 39 Old 01-13-2008, 05:10 PM
Wheeler

Send a message via Yahoo to Steel Blue X

I thought I was seeing things, but yeah, my 08's hood jumps aropund quite a bit. Thanks for the great idea on the easy fix!

'08 2 door X, Does moving the mirrors count as a Mod??
post #9 of 39 Old 01-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Wheeler

The fix went together well. The only thing I did different was roughing up the rubber with sand paper for a better stick. Rubbed off the goodyear writing so it blends better.
post #10 of 39 Old 01-14-2008, 04:09 AM
Rock God

Send a message via MSN to b1pig

there are several remedies. the rubber tube. removing the spring. replacing the rubber latch with a solid latch. adding a piece of square tubing under the upper core suppport as another lock...

some work better on different rigs.
post #11 of 39 Old 01-14-2008, 04:16 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Another long windy drive yesterday taking my Granddaughter home,..very pleased with this, no up & down hood movement at all. Really don't have to watch it anymore.

Jim,
G27 , G26, & G22-C
post #12 of 39 Old 01-14-2008, 07:16 AM
Wheeler

I'm dropping the hammer on the fix this morning. Not worried....So far this is the best and cheepest fix. The new latches look cool but just too much work and money that I can spend else were. I think the square tubing didn't work out well in the end on that thread. This is the best way to go. Plus...remove the spring as well when you do this....

Last edited by thissideup; 01-15-2008 at 09:43 PM.
post #13 of 39 Old 01-14-2008, 08:50 AM
JR
Rock God

I think it might have been something early in 07's production.

Our black one that we got in September 06 was bad, real bad. The red one we got in September 07, I haven't noticed the hood lift issue on really.

Jason from RJR Off-Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

coupon code = JKOWNERS
post #14 of 39 Old 01-14-2008, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR View Post
I think it might have been something early in 07's production.

Our black one that we got in September 06 was bad, real bad. The red one we got in September 07, I haven't noticed the hood lift issue on really.
Our black one that we got in September 06 was bad, real bad. The red one we got in September 07, I haven't noticed the hood lift issue on really.[/QUOTE]

The quick way to find out is look at the rubber molding on both & see if the newer one has a much stonger texture of rubber,.... or they went to a complete round piece instead of a flimsy thin 1/2 moon piece that the air will lay right down..

Jim,
G27 , G26, & G22-C
post #15 of 39 Old 01-14-2008, 11:47 AM
JR
Rock God

I can look at the red one, but the black X went to a dealership in september, and they sold it for something like $38k...eep!

Jason from RJR Off-Road

coupon code = JKOWNERS
post #16 of 39 Old 01-15-2008, 07:33 AM
Wheeler

85 and not a twitch....Thank you for the info posted on this thead!!!! Wes
post #17 of 39 Old 01-15-2008, 10:44 AM
14ers

5k on the 2008 and I've been watching the hood thing with no lifting...

2008 Rescue Green UJK Rubicon 6 spd with a bunch of super cheap mods!
post #18 of 39 Old 01-16-2008, 09:01 PM
Rock God

the square tube works great, actually... it just isnt an option for anyone wanting to add grill inserts.
post #19 of 39 Old 01-17-2008, 02:09 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nam6869usmc View Post
The quick way to find out is look at the rubber molding on both & see if the newer one has a much stonger texture of rubber,.... or they went to a complete round piece instead of a flimsy thin 1/2 moon piece that the air will lay right down..[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I heard a rumor that they upgraded the rubber piece on the 08s. I would be curious if that's true.

07 Jeep Green Rubi Unlimited, auto
Mods: Tuffy Cubby Storage Cover, Rugged Ridge grab handles, Shrockworks Sliders, Rock Hard Engine / Gas Tank Skids, Rhino-lined tub, Kilby Evap Can Relocation Kit, 16x8 Centerline Wilderness Series - Falcon Rims, 285/75/16 Interco SSRs, OME 2" HD Lift, PSC Diff Covers, Superwinch EPi 9.0, BulldogFab Rear Bumper, RedrockFab Front Bumper and skid
post #20 of 39 Old 01-29-2008, 11:33 AM
Wheeler

Send a message via AIM to 1TallJKer Send a message via Yahoo to 1TallJKer

I don't think its so much the year of the vehicle. I have an '07 and it only does it occasionally. Its not much and it is easy to mistake for road vibrations most of the time.

I have noticed that it only occurs when the wind comes from the side or from an angle.

Part of it is the rubber piece that comes stock, but I firmly believe that it is also inherent in the design of the hood period. I've talked to people with CJs, TJs and YJs, all have experienced this at one time or another.

Remember that the hood wraps down the side rather than dropping down between the fenders as on most vehicles, so air can easily get underneath it and lift it up.

I made a suggestion on another forum, that I personally haven't had the opportunity to try yet, though someone else tried it and said it worked great.

The solution? Run some weather striping along the sides to help keep the air from coming in under the sides of the hood. Once I get the bills caught up and can start doing more work on my Yeep, I'll do this myself.

O.B.A.M.A. - One Big A__ Mistake America

post #21 of 39 Old 01-29-2008, 03:40 PM
gcg

All of these weather stripping approaches seem like they're doomed to failure to me. The entire underhood area is open to pressure blasts from the front through the radiator. Pressure can also enter quite freely from the bottom and the sides through the openings in the wheel wells. I see the problem all the time when I meet a big rig coming at me from the opposite direction. I feel the big pressure blast and the hood raises. I believe the pressure enters mostly through the radiator area and simply stretches the rubber bands.

I truly doubt that you can solve the problem by sealing the gaps between the hood and the rest of the body. I think the real solution lies more in replacing the rubber bands with a positive latch of some sort that holds the hood securely in place, as seen elsewhere. The modified safety latch approach would also accomplish this, though one should be careful to not eliminate the main purpose of the safety latch when modifying it.
post #22 of 39 Old 01-31-2008, 11:42 PM
Rock God

post #23 of 39 Old 02-01-2008, 10:05 AM
Wheeler

Hood lift

Finally got a chance to do this mod, and it worked great. Thanks
post #24 of 39 Old 04-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Rock God

They also sell replacements for the rubber side hood latches with beefier ones that don't stretch from the wind. That fixes it... Or if you are short on cash you can zip tie over the rubber ones to prevent them from stretching.. Just 2 more simple fixes for ya...

Lifted by
, JKS DC's, Skid Row Protected,
ProComp 7105, Kevlar MTR's,
Switchblade rear, Red Rock Fab stinger etc...

post #25 of 39 Old 04-12-2008, 05:58 PM
lbh
Rock God

These are all great, but in my opinion, this ought to be a recall dea from JEEP. Obviously there is an issue. I will be duing this mod myself, but I wish Jeep would step up to this and recal for stranger latches or rubber.

2007 JK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode