LED Light Bar Shootout - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Electrical & Lighting Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: What size LED light bar would you like to see tested?
20" 42 42.86%
30" 10 10.20%
40" 9 9.18%
50" 54 55.10%
Four strips of bacon 31 31.63%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
nlgrav182
If You Can Dodge a Wrench...

Member # 7834
LED Light Bar Shootout

UPDATE: Let's get a real shootout going. Any vendors that would like to participate that I have not contacted, please PM me and let me know what you can offer to test. Terms and conditions to be discussed.

UPDATE 2: Have contacted 406 YJ; Black Box Logistics; DOOKEY; jeepaddons-chris; Seward Offroad; JeepinOutfitters ; LifetimeLED ; Norm ; NFRs2000NYC ; Baja Designs ; Bulldog LED Lighting ; Sidetracked Offroad ; stephenwang ; kmd Garage; RigidIndustriesLED ; Motorsports2 ; taz223 (Exploration Outfitters) ; Daves Offroad Supply;

for support for LED light bar test. We'll see what comes back!

UPDATE 3: I have heard back positively from the companies in green, most willing to submit a 20" light bar to be tested. Orange has helped to find support.

UPDATE 4: Good comments and discussion in this thread. Let's talk actual tests to be performed, in this order:

1. Packaging, unboxing, first impressions. Plenty of pictures and video.

2. Light meter test: 9 test points, 5 tests, drop the high and low, average the 3. 45 total tests per light, keeping 27, for each bar. Units will be foot candela, similar to Headlight comparison done by usmcdoc14. Reflectors, black and white signs, etc., will be set up at each distance.

Pictures to accompany each of these tests from many angles.

These pictures could be taken with a Nikon D60 or a GoPro. If any amateur photographers have suggestions on camera settings or experience with capturing these kind of night images, they are welcome.

Lights will be mounted on a wooden structure, easily portable, roughly at bumper height for 20" bars and roof height for 50" bars.

3: Extended performance test. Leave lights on for a few days,
maybe a week, and see what happens. Check temperature of housings, lens, etc., look for non-functional LEDs, etc.

4. Oscillation test. Mount lights to an oscillating motor to simulate washboard roads and run it for a few hours and see what happens.

5. Durability tests. These will have to be approved by the vendors, as the vendors and I will have to come to terms. These tests can include underwater tests, frozen tests, park a Jeep on it tests, etc. I would like to test the lexan lenses vs. the tempered and toughened glass to see what withstands what.

6. Radio Interference. Self-explanatory, would test with walkie talkie, AM radio? Have to research this one.

After all this, do a final summary of the lights, comparing them to each other and, more importantly, claimed performance, and pick a winner.

Any suggestions for tests or alterations to these listed tests? Looking for input.

OP:
I put this together as a statistical shootout of LED light bars.

Vendors that can help to fill in blanks for their products will be appreciated.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VE&usp=sharing

Hope you like it and it's helpful, I threw it together pretty quickly but I hope it sparks a real comparo.

I chose to compare the 20" and 50" bars from most new companies. These seem to be the popular sizes. If you are interested in a 30" bar from Brand X, you can infer data based on the 20 and the 50 or find good performance from those and shop that way.

Some other sizes are included as they had features that made them interesting.

This will be a work in progress.
Attached Images

Last edited by nlgrav182; 05-01-2013 at 07:35 PM.
nlgrav182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #2
kmd Garage
Granite Guru

Member # 26478

Nice work. I will get more info on the 36" bar tomorrow.
kmd Garage is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 03:15 AM   #3
edthesniper
Rock God

Member # 24758
Now that definitely helps. Thx for the post.
edthesniper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Rigid Industries LED
Wheeler

Member # 3019
Alex,
Thx for the effort here in getting something organized, I realize that it takes time, and you are spearheading here so kudos..I am curious on how the test will be performed, if you need any assistance as far as methods let me know.

I dont want to start off on the wrong foot here but I have a couple of concerns..I may have misunderstood your statement about Baja Designs, but it threw me off. Did you mean to say that they are the best LED out there? If so then they should be included in the test, not sure what you are basing that off of. Again, sorry if I misunderstood you.

and officially the Aurora product(if they have my patented optics) is under litigation currently. In short I would prefer not to have a shootout with a product that is illegal as it obviously will perform very close to Rigid products using our protected technology.
TrailWorthy fab's pro series is possibly infringing, unless they have the new non infringing optics, Todd is familiar with this issue.
for the record we have no affiliation with Aurora, never have.

Last thing, will the products being tested be returned?

thx again, hope this all makes sense.

I can be reached if need be, 480.655.0100, just ask for me. thanks.
Taylor
www.rigidindustries.com
Rigid Industries LED is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 02:22 PM   #5
taz223
JKowners Vendor

Member # 14781
Since we primarily sell Totron bars, I'll be happy to add their info and you can put the prices off of our site if you want to do that for the comparison. With research, you'll find that many of the other "brands" of lightbars you have listed in the spreadsheet are actually Totron/Hanma lights that someone else is claiming to be the manufacturer of. If thats how they want to do business then more power to them. Here is the info for the Totron bars that we sell:

The information regarding lumen output, etc. is STRAIGHT from the Totron dealer catalog. Whether it is 100% accurate or not, I do not know nor do I claim to, but it is in print on my desk and that is where I'm posting the info from.

Single Row 20" (Spot or Combination Flood/Spot - Same):
4800 Lumens Output
60 Watt (12 5Watt CREE LEDs)
PMMA/Polycarb Lens
ExplorationOutfitters.Com Retail Price - $175.00

Dual Row 20" (Spot, Flood, or Combination Flood/Spot - Same):
10500 Lumen Output
120 Watt (40 3Watt CREE LEDs)
PMMA/Polycarb Lens
The spot patterns are actually 8 degree, the flood are 90 degree
ExplorationOutfitters.com Retail Price - $250.00

The information in your spreadsheet reflected their old style dual row bars with the glass lens and Epistar LEDs, the new style (at least the new style that we sell) are CREE LEDs and PMMA lenses.

I'll be happy to provide any further information regarding the Totron brand of lights, specifications, etc. Just wanted to provide updated information for what you had in your spreadsheet and also a few corrections.

Thanks for taking the time to put that information together for everyone, I think many people will appreciate far more than you would imagine, including myself.

Matt
ExplorationOutfitters
info@explorationoutfitters.com
(580)745-5337
taz223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
NFRs2000NYC
Granite Guru

Member # 18284
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Industries LED View Post
Alex,
Thx for the effort here in getting something organized, I realize that it takes time, and you are spearheading here so kudos..I am curious on how the test will be performed, if you need any assistance as far as methods let me know.

I dont want to start off on the wrong foot here but I have a couple of concerns..I may have misunderstood your statement about Baja Designs, but it threw me off. Did you mean to say that they are the best LED out there? If so then they should be included in the test, not sure what you are basing that off of. Again, sorry if I misunderstood you.

and officially the Aurora product(if they have my patented optics) is under litigation currently. In short I would prefer not to have a shootout with a product that is illegal as it obviously will perform very close to Rigid products using our protected technology.
TrailWorthy fab's pro series is possibly infringing, unless they have the new non infringing optics, Todd is familiar with this issue.

Taylor
I was told that there is no more infringement since the optics have been changed. I have also contacted the customs office to make sure the products can be legally imported into the US. I have the information in writing from Aurora. Can you confirm that the infringement is STILL going on? It would be nice to have this issue settled once and for all. Also, do they manufacture components for your lights? Im just asking because the gaskets, lexan, screws, and housings look like they come from the same exact supplier.

P.S. Im not a dealer, and am not looking to sell these lights. I was just curious as basically Rigid and Aurora are the best bars on the market, so it would be interesting to know what's going on.

Last edited by NFRs2000NYC; 04-24-2013 at 05:13 PM.
NFRs2000NYC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
stephenwang
okkolighting

Member # 28729
Why Shootout ?
If you trust the supplier and fit your budget ,then you buy from them,if not,just give up .

It is a simple thing. Do not need to do so much effort .
stephenwang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 04:46 AM   #8
kkuntz01
Rock God

Member # 8097
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenwang View Post
Why Shootout ?
If you trust the supplier and fit your budget ,then you buy from them,if not,just give up .

Because there is a swing in the performance and light output in the difference light bars and people don't want to spend money on something just to learn that saving themselves a buck got them a POS.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:59 AM   #9
kkuntz01
Rock God

Member # 8097
Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Baja Designs is too expensive to bother. They are not included. This will compare lights that are within the scope of the typical consumer.
Understand where you're coming from here on the price thing, the is a reason why they're priced the way they are. It'd be like leaving the JW Speaker headlights out of the headlight shoot out because they're double the cost of the Trucklites.

Something else to consider about the Baja Designs lights, they're the only company who will sell you the parts the rebuild them if they're damaged from use. IIRC I want to say that I think you change out the optics to better suit your needs for a specific event or wheeling trip.

Just something else to consider in the mix.
Old 04-25-2013, 05:41 AM   #10
stephenwang
okkolighting

Member # 28729
Compare 7.5" Cree with7.5" Epistar

There are the picture of light output 7.5'' Cree and 7.5" Epistar.
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
kkuntz01
Rock God

Member # 8097
Quote:
That's all well and good but none of us are staring into the light when we're using them. How bright it shines when you're staring at it doesn't really mean squat, it's how well they project light forward that really matters to anyone.
Old 04-25-2013, 06:08 AM   #12
nlgrav182
If You Can Dodge a Wrench...

Member # 7834
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
Understand where you're coming from here on the price thing, the is a reason why they're priced the way they are. It'd be like leaving the JW Speaker headlights out of the headlight shoot out because they're double the cost of the Trucklites.

Something else to consider about the Baja Designs lights, they're the only company who will sell you the parts the rebuild them if they're damaged from use. IIRC I want to say that I think you change out the optics to better suit your needs for a specific event or wheeling trip.

Just something else to consider in the mix.
I guess it wouldn't hurt to include BD. I think the main concern for everyone that doesn't have a light bar already is the value of the $500 bars vs the quality of the $1500 bars. That's why I think Baja prices itself out of a contest like this, and why Rigid would be the benchmark of how lights should perform. Either way, I'll shoot BD an email and look for interest.
nlgrav182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 06:22 AM   #13
sneck
Rock God

Member # 20784
Quote:
Why Shootout ?

Quote:
I know we are supposed to play nice with vendors, but what the fuck? the whole point of this shoot out is one of you shits pops up every other day pimping some awesome new lights. how are we supposed to know whats worth our money without seeing direct comparisons? And I certainly wouldnt trust you, you're trying to show us a light comparison of a) looking directly at the light b) different angles c) different hues of background light. its almost like you used 2 different cameras.

seriously, what the fuck
sneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 06:44 AM   #14
DeucesALLin
Rock God

Member # 24636
In regards to the BD thing-I agree... this should be a true LED bar shootout, not a "budget bar/knockoff" shootout.

I remember how well the DIY HID projectors stacked up against the JWs and TLs.

That was great because someone comparing TLs and JWs got just as much info as someone considering upgrading lenses or HID style. And for someone like me, it reinforced my decision to go the route I did.
DeucesALLin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 06:58 AM   #15
ALASHA
F5 Champ

Member # 6694
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneck View Post
I know we are supposed to play nice with vendors, but what the fuck? the whole point of this shoot out is one of you shits pops up every other day pimping some awesome new lights. how are we supposed to know whats worth our money without seeing direct comparisons? And I certainly wouldnt trust you, you're trying to show us a light comparison of a) looking directly at the light b) different angles c) different hues of background light. its almost like you used 2 different cameras.

seriously, what the fuck
Truth
ALASHA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 07:02 AM   #16
kkuntz01
Rock God

Member # 8097
Quote:

seriously, what the fuck
Too high of an expectation for someone sitting behind a computer potentially on the other side of the pacific?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:29 AM   #17
stephenwang
okkolighting

Member # 28729
I understand you are worrying about.
Maybe you have had many times bad experiences .
I will take more pictures tomorrow .

Quote:

seriously, what the fuck
Attached Images

Old 04-25-2013, 07:32 AM   #18
sneck
Rock God

Member # 20784
Quote:
Many times I had eyes on internet, and thought in my head; ni hao. Pics of lights are not what a shoot out is for. More to the point, as a light vendor why would you be against a shoot out? Afraid your shit stinks?
sneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 07:39 AM   #19
kkuntz01
Rock God

Member # 8097
Quote:
And the pic in this ^^^^ post only validates my comment below (see sign on wall).

Quote:
Too high of an expectation for someone sitting behind a computer potentially on the other side of the pacific?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:45 AM   #20
stephenwang
okkolighting

Member # 28729
I did not say i dont agree a shoot out .
How is the process ?
Who will supervise the whole process ?
I think this is not a shoot out thing ,it is a trusting thing .

Quote:
Many times I had eyes on internet, and thought in my head; ni hao. Pics of lights are not what a shoot out is for. More to the point, as a light vendor why would you be against a shoot out? Afraid your shit stinks?
Old 04-25-2013, 07:56 AM   #21
DeucesALLin
Rock God

Member # 24636
God... this is why I can get a manufacturing job in 'Merica.
DeucesALLin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 08:05 AM   #22
gold knight
JKO Addict!

Member # 1460
Quote:
And the pic in this ^^^^ post only validates my comment below (see sign on wall).
I knew since the Stephen's first post. It's not like he's hiding the fact he's not here in the US. I even reported him for spam before he got a vendor star... oops sorry Stevo.

Now back on topic, I'm looking forward to the results although I don't have any immediate plans for lighting. If it turns out anything like the headlight shootout it will be a good resource.
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
I count ten rounds on target for a moving vehicle in low light. How is this woman single?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think you just answered your own question.
gold knight is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #23
stephenwang
okkolighting

Member # 28729
Does't matter , Gold knight.

We are just selling the right lighting products at a reasoble price.

It is up to customers buy from US Vendors or Directly From China .

Hope understand .

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
I knew since the Stephen's first post. It's not like he's hiding the fact he's not here in the US. I even reported him for spam before he got a vendor star... oops sorry Stevo.

Now back on topic, I'm looking forward to the results although I don't have any immediate plans for lighting. If it turns out anything like the headlight shootout it will be a good resource.
Old 04-25-2013, 08:34 AM   #24
One Bad JK
Wheeler

Member # 12454
I feel like we should include more USA MADE companies. I mean if we are talking price, my bulldog lights are much more affordable than other companies and are made in usa. That is one of the main reasons that I bought them. Everyone keeps talking about buying usa and wanting prices to be lower. Im just sayin, maybe give them an email and see if they will join? If we are going to make a comprehensive comparison here it should include every company out there, especially the usa ones. Baja should still be included as well, their prices may be higher but maybe it is because their performance is higher? I don't know and we won't if we don't test.
Send Bulldog an email and ask? I would love to see a full comparison of any company we can think of here.
www.bulldog-lighting.com
daystar 1/2 inch spring spacer (front)
new driveshafts front and rear
procomp wheels
lod front bumper
stock rear bumper
50" Bulldog LED Light Bar

Proud supporter of ProLine Accessories
"Taking the ProLine since 1995"
One Bad JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2013, 08:48 AM   #25
jeepoholic
Wheeler

Member # 9436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigid Industries LED View Post
Alex,

and officially the Aurora product(if they have my patented optics) is under klitigation currently. In short I would prefer not to have a shootout with a product that is illegal as it obviously will perform very close to Rigid products using our protected technology.

Taylor

What's the patent number?
jeepoholic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.