Sprintex Supercharger Install - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Modified JK Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 05:14 AM   #1
Chipewa
Rock God

Member # 19680
Sprintex Supercharger Install

I just finished installing a Sprintex supercharger with Hypertech programmer in my 2007 JKU. For the benefit of others who will be installing this upgrade, here are my experiences and suggestions, over and above the installation instructions, that will help with a smoother install. Unless you've done several of these installs before give yourself 2 days to complete the work, not the 4-6 hours stated in the instructions.

Big thanks go to Tight wad who had installed this unit before me and gave me a lot of good suggestions.

Here's a pic of the SC unit in the box:

NOTE: Updated 6/10/2013.
Although not written anywhere in the installation instructions, I'm going to tell you that a transmission cooler for JKs with automatic transmission IS REQUIRED. I overheated and fried my transmission in less than 200 miles. After replacing my entire transmission I added Aeroforce Interceptor gauges and found that my transmission temperature was right around 200f in city driving averaging 40-45mph. Way too high! I added a PSC transmission cooler and transmission temperatures dropped approximately 60 degrees. The same test drive that had my temps at 200f produced a trans temp of 140f with a transmission cooler.

Suggestion - You will need to run high octane (min 91 octane) fuel with this unit, so make sure you have premium gasoline in your tank before you install the unit.

I highly recommend that you buy new breather hoses. You will need to modify them for the install and having new hoses will make things MUCH easier and head off performance problems that I had. I wound up replacing mine after the install with new ones.

Your plastic conduit that surrounds wiring around the top of the engine may be in bad shape and disintegrating. Buy some of this from your local auto parts store and replace it as you find it. I bought several feet of the 2 smallest sizes and still have plenty left.

This is also a good time to replace your PCV valve, since you will have easy access to it. Removing the old PCV valve can be difficult and I destroyed mine getting it out. Replace it, don't plan on inspecting and re-installing the old one.

Buy a new EGR tube gasket. This is the gasket that mates the EGR tube coming off the SC to the EGR valve. Mine fell apart when I removed the stock EGR tube. Do not attempt to use RTV here in place of a new gasket as it will leak.

The installation instructions will mention several tools that you will need. I already have a massive selection of tools, but here are a couple that you may not have that I'll mention here to make the job easier:

Fuel line disconnect tool:

1/4 inch drive universal joint:

Long handled 5mm hex wrench. There is a bolt under the SC that is a PITA to install. I screwed mine down with a hex wrench. If I ever have to do it again I will make my own ratcheting 5mm wrench from a small flex head ratcheting wrench with a 5mm hex bit welded into the ratcheting end. It took me an hour to screw this one bolt in. You will also not be able to torque it to recommended specs because there is no way to get a torque wrench on it.

Read and re-read all of the instructions until your are familiar with the tear down and installation before you begin work.

If you have a tuner (I had Superchips Premium tune installed) currently installed you need to set your vehicle back to STOCK at this point.

The tear down goes relatively smoothly. I recommend labeling all parts removed/unplugged.

Here are a few tear down pics:

Last edited by Chipewa; 06-10-2013 at 05:46 AM.
Chipewa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2013, 05:50 AM   #2
Chipewa
Rock God

Member # 19680
Spintex Supercharger install continued

The installation instructions state that you can optionally remove the battery side inner fender liner to make installation easier. DO IT. I can't imagine doing the install without removal. Get used to removing the inner fender liner on the battery side. This is the only way (and very easy way) that you will gain access to the spark plugs on this side of the engine after the SC is installed.

Remove your alternator and sit it out of the way. I can't imagine how they think you're going to get the valve cover off without doing this.

Although not stated in the installation instructions, it is a good idea to replace your spark plugs with STOCK spec plugs at this time.

You will need to seperate the throttle body plug from the fuel injector wiring harness. Take your time with this and make sure that you get at least the recommended length.

Test fit the SC to your intake with a helper. Go slow and don't slide it around, you can damage the intake O-rings if not careful. You may find that you have problems getting the SC to lay flat because wiring under it sits too high. Remove the SC unit and slowly and carefully work with the wiring to reposition until you get clearance needed.

I had problems fitting my stock throttle body to the SC intake and had to file the bottom of the TB so it would mate up with the SC. If you need to do this I recommend applying a thin film of silicone grease to the TB mating surface and pressing it up to the SC intake by hand, then check to insure that the O-ring is making complete contact before installing.

The installation instructions omit when to use the Blue med strength thread locker. I used it on all valve cover and SC to intake bolts.

The installation instructions omit installation of the new MAP sensor that is included with the unit. Install it carefully after you have the SC bolted onto the intake. Apply a thin layer of silicone grease to the O ring and gently install into the SC unit. I had MAJOR issues after my install with performance and found that the extremely delicate O ring had torn when I installed it.

After you've finished installing everything check to insure that there aren't any hoses or wires contacting the exhaust manifold heat shields. If you find any reposition them.

The SC unit comes with the oil in it. I checked mine just to make sure it had the proper amount of oil in it. Better safe than sorry.

Before you install the Supercharger tune with the Hypertech unit you should make sure that you have the latest firmware installed by updating it via the web. Go to the web URL listed in your installation instructions.

Many people seem to get confused installing the tuning with the Hypertech unit. After you have selected the Supercharger tuning you must step through the menu and select INSTALL TUNING to get the changes updated.

Test drive your vehicle and take it easy. During the first 3 key cycles your PCM is re-learning. I'm giving mine a few days before I do any fine tuning.

My Jeep feels like a totally different vehicle now. The only issue that I need to work out is a small lag in the throttle from a stop to about 10 mph. There are throttle sensitivity adjustments via the Hypertech unit that can be adjusted to deal with this. I'm going to give my Jeep a few days before playing around with these settings. Both Sprintex and Hypertech support are excellent and eager to help me out with fine tuning. I have had several calls from each asking me how it's going. IMO support is top notch.

All installed!

Video of first start up running (with torn MAP sensor O ring):
Sprintex super charger Jeep JK - YouTube

Last edited by Chipewa; 02-01-2013 at 07:49 AM.
Old 02-01-2013, 06:34 AM   #3
Apt
I Put the FU in FUN

Member # 15684
Garage
nice writeup Carl.
post the video of it running!
Apt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 06:47 AM   #4
Chipewa
Rock God

Member # 19680
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apt View Post
nice writeup Carl.
post the video of it running!
Done
Old 02-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #5
Chipewa
Rock God

Member # 19680
The basic specs on my 2007 JKU are:

4.5 AEV lift.
ARB lockers F & R
Auto with 4.88 gears.
37in BFG KM2s

DynoMax exhaust upgrade planned soon.
Old 02-01-2013, 09:27 AM   #6
cj454
Wheeler

Member # 23410
Now price vs installation and power after you get the feel for this would you consider the ripped if you were to do it again.

I am looking into a sc soon reason for asking
cj454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 09:57 AM   #7
Chipewa
Rock God

Member # 19680
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj454 View Post
Now price vs installation and power after you get the feel for this would you consider the ripped if you were to do it again.

I am looking into a sc soon reason for asking
I considered the RIPP unit before I selected the Sprintex. The Sprintex was on sale for $2999 and I wasn't going to pass it up.

The Sprintex installation seems much more invasive that the RIPP, but I'll be able to judge that better after I help my buddy install his RIPP unit this weekend.

As far as performance goes, I'll need to drive both kinds to judge that. I can tell you that the Sprintex power increase is very noticible right off idle.
Old 02-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
Acey
Rock God

Member # 20783
First of all, I have no experience with the Sprintex Supercharger. So, I'm not getting into the performance differences of Sprintex vs RIPP.

I installed a RIPP SC with the intercooler on mine over a year ago. Looking at the installation of the Sprintex, very good write-up btw, the Sprintex IS more invasive than the RIPP SC.

The RIPP SC only requires you to remove the intake plenum to intall new fuel injectors and remove the air filter box. No alternator or valve cover removal.

Last edited by Acey; 02-01-2013 at 11:19 AM.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
cj454
Wheeler

Member # 23410
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipewa View Post
I considered the RIPP unit before I selected the Sprintex. The Sprintex was on sale for $2999 and I wasn't going to pass it up.

The Sprintex installation seems much more invasive that the RIPP, but I'll be able to judge that better after I help my buddy install his RIPP unit this weekend.

As far as performance goes, I'll need to drive both kinds to judge that. I can tell you that the Sprintex power increase is very noticible right off idle.
Thxs for reply can't wait to see more feedback where did u get it for that price if u don't mind me asking
Old 02-01-2013, 02:18 PM   #10
Apt
I Put the FU in FUN

Member # 15684
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cj454 View Post
...where did u get it for that price if u don't mind me asking
There was a thread on here offering it. Not that long ago actually.

here it is.
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...=sprintex+2995

Last edited by Apt; 02-01-2013 at 02:19 PM. Reason: added link
Old 02-01-2013, 04:33 PM   #11
Chipewa
Rock God

Member # 19680
Yep, that was the link that clued me in on the sale.

I called Sprintex USA and they connected me with the following dealer for the sale:

Michael Lawrence
SuperchargersofOKC

13613 Eskridge Drive
Oklahoma City OK. 73114
405-229-02321Z
superchargesofokc@yahoo.com
Old 02-01-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
cj454
Wheeler

Member # 23410
Awesome thxs
Old 02-01-2013, 06:02 PM   #13
Tight_wad
Rock God

Member # 5276
Sprintex Supercharger Install

Good write-up. Glad I was able to provide some help.

I think that its easy to say that the Ripp is the simpler design to put on. Simpler doesn't mean its better. And vice versa.

Sent banging two irocks together!

Last edited by Tight_wad; 02-01-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Tight_wad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #14
Apt
I Put the FU in FUN

Member # 15684
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tight_wad View Post
Good write-up. Glad I was able to provide some help.

I think that its easy to say that the Ripp is the simpler design to put on. Simpler doesn't mean its better. And vis versa.

Sent banging two irocks together!
I guess we'll see about that eh Scott? LOL
Old 02-05-2013, 03:58 AM   #15
Chipewa
Rock God

Member # 19680
The RIPP Gen2 Stage 1 hardware install is much easier than the Sprintex. It took 2 of us 5-6 hours to install all the hardware components. Installing the tuning was the problem - http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88332
Old 02-05-2013, 04:07 AM   #16
ASSFROW
A JKO Dick!

Member # 17518
Garage
It looks like the charger sits right over top of the oil fill cap. Can you get to it to put oil in?
ASSFROW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 04:34 AM   #17
Chipewa
Rock God

Member # 19680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
It looks like the charger sits right over top of the oil fill cap. Can you get to it to put oil in?
Yes.
The valve covers swap sides so that the oil fill is now on the rear of the engine on the driver side.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:19 AM   #18
ASSFROW
A JKO Dick!

Member # 17518
Garage
Quote:
Yes.
The valve covers swap sides so that the oil fill is now on the rear of the engine on the driver side.
Thanks. Didn't make sense that they would leave out a detail like that.
ASSFROW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #19
Chipewa
Rock God

Member # 19680
Update:

After driving for a few days I have the time today to tune out the throttle lag. I've found that from 0-5mph there is a dead spot in the throttle that I can't tune out.

I'm currently working with Hypertech to resolve the issue. The tech had me set my PCM back to stock and then attempt to re-install the supercharger tune. Re-application of the SC tune appears to be causing problems. I took my JK out for a short spin around the block set back to stock and was shocked that the throttle problem was gone and power felt like my old 2000 Z28 Camaro. The tech assured me that when we get the SC tune installed properly the performance will be even better. I'm waiting for a call from Hypertech so I can download/upload my tuner info and get this show back on the road.

Stay tuned.....

Last edited by Chipewa; 02-05-2013 at 12:18 PM.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #20
Chipewa
Rock God

Member # 19680
Update:

I heard from Hypertech today and was told that with their tuning removed from the Jeep I should be getting no errors/codes, and therefore there must be a problem with the supercharger unit or install. I get 2 codes when set to stock, indicating Barometeric pressure out of range/too low and torque out of range. They recommended I speak with Sprintex.

Talked to the Sprintex tech who indicated that the error codes I was getting with the vehicle set to stock were to be expected since the MAP sensor is designed to work only with the SC and there is a lot more torque being output. I was told to re-install the Hypertech tune, which I did. The annoying dead spot/lag in the throttle from 0-5mph is back. The tech told be he believes that the Hypertech tune is being installed properly without errors and the lag is due to a PCM safeguard, I guess to prevent sudden acceleration. The tech also told me that the Diablo tuner is much more flexible and can override/tune-out these safeguards.

I have found a thread on another Jeep forum where many people have complained of the exact same lag I am experiencing. I want to give the Hypertech guys a fair shot at fixing the problem, but will be trying the Diablo unit if this is "as good as it gets" with the Hypertech unit.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:07 AM   #21
b1pig
Rock God

Member # 748
just went through something like 47 pages of posts on the other forum. the guy they were working with has been working individually with the guys on there to work out their tuning issues on the diablo tuners. happy people as it progresses.

one thing that had me wondering... dont know about the hypertech tuner, but the diablo has the sprintbooster feature built in. i wonder if that was enabled in the tunes and was contributing.....

anyway.
hypertech "should" be able to adjust it out for you.
2008 Kawasaki KLR650
needed: boat and plane
b1pig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 06:38 AM   #22
ALASHA
F5 Champ

Member # 6694
Quote:
Update:
I have found a thread on another Jeep forum where many people have complained of the exact same lag I am experiencing. I want to give the Hypertech guys a fair shot at fixing the problem, but will be trying the Diablo unit if this is "as good as it gets" with the Hypertech unit.
With Diablo, you will have to find a tuner who will do a custom tune for you...unless Sprintex has a secondary tune for Diablo.
ALASHA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-08-2013, 08:08 AM   #23
Chipewa
Rock God

Member # 19680
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post
With Diablo, you will have to find a tuner who will do a custom tune for you...unless Sprintex has a secondary tune for Diablo.
Sprintex has a tune for the Diablo inTune.

Last edited by Chipewa; 02-08-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:57 PM   #24
Chipewa
Rock God

Member # 19680
Hypertech believes that the unit I have now is not applying the tuning properly and is sending me a replacement unit next week.

I have also decided to get a Diablo inTune unit which should be arriving next week.

Hopefully the replacement Hypertech unit will apply the tune properly and the lag with be gone.

My plans are to run each brand for a week and then compare results.
Old 02-09-2013, 08:40 AM   #25
Chipewa
Rock God

Member # 19680
Received replacement Hypertech programmer this morning and installed the tuning. The throttle dead spot is now gone!

I'm going to run it for a week to get the feel of things and then will try the Diablo inTune programmer for comparison.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.