I dont know what to do!? i feel sick to the stomach.... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Community > JK General Discussion

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2013, 07:11 AM   #1
Living_Legend
Granite Guru

Member # 17979
I dont know what to do!? i feel sick to the stomach....

so i have the death wobble......

got off the phone with the Jeep shop $4000 estimate to fix my jeep, he says every thing needs to be replaced. i got so sick by the prices i couldnt even hear what he was saying anymore. 1200 control arms,208, 40, front ball 975, 330, 175, 150, 565. . . .for this for that.

10 months ago they fixed my jeep that had a shimmy. now this. i cant pay that. 10 months ago i replaced things and had to get new tires... $3000 total.

1)New front Track Bar
2)Replaced Steering Stablizer
3)Replaced Axe Seals

i dont know what to do. i dont have the money to do this. i have to pick it up and drive it like it is. if i hit a bump under 30 it goes into a shake and i have to stop.

I know i bought a jeep with a lift and this is my fault but i need to just get rid of this thing and get a normal car. I never had these problems with my f150 or my mustang. I am a first time jeep owner and its just not for me.

3.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex Lift Kit, 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers on 18" Black Ballistic Jesters, Fab Fours Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper Winch Mount w/Stinger Hoop and End Caps, 8,000lb Winch

Note to self: Rotate tires at 58,500 Miles.

Last edited by Living_Legend; 01-02-2013 at 07:23 AM.
Living_Legend is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 07:16 AM   #2
Uncle Sams Misguided Child
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Member # 12861
Check out planmans death wobble checklist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
when it's your turn to fuck the cat you can name the kittens.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:17 AM   #3
j-rod17
Rock God

Member # 20005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
yep!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uQwlmlhiF4
Old 01-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #4
StepsRide
Rock God

Member # 6359
Not to be a jerk but it is time to start learning how to work on your Jeep. The Ball Joints are not hard to do. Your front steering is not hard either with the right kit. The instructions will walk your through it. Also get involved with a good jeep club and...IF you feed them and beer them they will come. Call Rebel offroad, River City offroad, Just Jeep Gear.com, or Krawl Offroad.... to set you up with the parts. You can easily cut that cost in half by doing it yourself.Also you will more than likely upgrade your rig in a big way. You will also get to know your jeep which is important if you are ever out on a trail and break.

Sorry for the tough love but that is what I would do and did.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #5
Dancin Dan
Banned

Member # 3812
Here's a thought:

It's a jeep, not a tank. Stop beating the shit out of it and it might treat you better. If you can't afford to wheel it like you stole it, might be time to stop doing that. Ask anyone who has wheeled with me how often they see me. It ain't very - because I can't be dumping cash into my Jeep every time I break something. I typically wheel like a pussy for the same reason stated above. Sure, I would love to be rolling on 40's with Dana 60 axles and a 6.1L hemi or even a diesel 4banger under there, but I can't afford that kinda shit, so I don't try to wheel like I have them.
Dancin Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #6
Living_Legend
Granite Guru

Member # 17979
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepsRide View Post
Not to be a jerk but it is time to start learning how to work on your Jeep. The Ball Joints are not hard to do. Your front steering is not hard either with the right kit. The instructions will walk your through it. Also get involved with a good jeep club and...IF you feed them and beer them they will come. Call Rebel offroad, River City offroad, Just Jeep Gear.com, or Krawl Offroad.... to set you up with the parts. You can easily cut that cost in half by doing it yourself.Also you will more than likely upgrade your rig in a big way. You will also get to know your jeep which is important if you are ever out on a trail and break.

Sorry for the tough love but that is what I would do and did.
I have worked on cars before. just busy at work and dont have a garage. i will have to do this because i cant afford otherwise. This has become a nightmare. And another thing. i am not an offroading guy, meaning i dont set it up and go off roading. I do go off road that any SUV could handle when i go camping. I just liked the set up and look of the Jeep, i dont abuse it like you guys do or like i did drag racing my mustang.

3.5" Rubicon Express Super Flex Lift Kit, 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers on 18" Black Ballistic Jesters, Fab Fours Rear Bumper w/Tire Carrier, Rugged Ridge XHD Front Bumper Winch Mount w/Stinger Hoop and End Caps, 8,000lb Winch

Old 01-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #7
finnd1
Wheeler

Member # 12141
Quote:
Originally Posted by Living_Legend View Post
so i have the death wobble......

got off the phone with the Jeep shop $4000 estimate to fix my jeep, he says every thing needs to be replaced. i got so sick by the prices i couldnt even hear what he was saying anymore. 1200 control arms,208, 40, front ball 975, 330, 175, 150, 565. . . .for this for that.

10 months ago they fixed my jeep that had a shimmy. now this. i cant pay that. 10 months ago i replaced things and had to get new tires... $3000 total.

1)New front Track Bar
2)Replaced Steering Stablizer
3)Replaced Axe Seals

i dont know what to do. i dont have the money to do this. i have to pick it up and drive it like it is. if i hit a bump under 30 it goes into a shake and i have to stop.

I know i bought a jeep with a lift and this is my fault but i need to just get rid of this thing and get a normal car. I never had these problems with my f150 or my mustang. I am a first time jeep owner and its just not for me.
after you check out planman's guide, I am sure you can find some other jeeper in Maryland that can help you with this.
finnd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 07:39 AM   #8
Living_Legend
Granite Guru

Member # 17979
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by j-rod17 View Post
thanks for the link. i will annoy my wifes father one weekend and go through this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Here's a thought:

It's a jeep, not a tank. Stop beating the shit out of it and it might treat you better. If you can't afford to wheel it like you stole it, might be time to stop doing that. Ask anyone who has wheeled with me how often they see me. It ain't very - because I can't be dumping cash into my Jeep every time I break something. I typically wheel like a pussy for the same reason stated above. Sure, I would love to be rolling on 40's with Dana 60 axles and a 6.1L hemi or even a diesel 4banger under there, but I can't afford that kinda shit, so I don't try to wheel like I have them.
i dont beat the shit out of it. I dont go wheeling. your argument is invalid.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #9
StubEXrube
Super Moderator

Member # 1473
Garage
Quote:
... $4000 estimate to fix my jeep, he says every thing needs to be replaced. i got so sick by the prices i couldnt even hear what he was saying anymore. 1200 control arms,208, 40, front ball 975, 330, 175, 150, 565. . . .for this for that.

... i need to just get rid of this thing and get a normal car. I never had these problems with my f150 or my mustang. I am a first time jeep owner and its just not for me.
This part is pretty much in your control to remedy and to do it for much less... probably less than half of what they've "estimated". Consider taking it back to stock if you have to. Consider all the various suspension systems and parts that people have for sale. JKO, CL, etc. Even if you're not a seasoned mechanic and even if you don't have all the necessary tools, you can always borrow tools, rent tools, and even have an instal party to get this thing fixed and fixed right. The worst is that you've busted a few knuckles and paid for some pizza and beer. On the plus side... you've made some friends, correctly fixed the issue(s), and gained some knowledge. I'm still not at all convinced that your entire system needs to be replaced anyway.

THIS however is the portion of what you wrote that I would be more concerned with. Yep... Jeeps are definitely not for everybody. And I have seen plenty of Jeeps up for sale just because of the dreaded DW. In some instances it can take days or even weeks to begin to feel safe again. The experience can be so psychologically frightening that an owner will simply throw the keys to the first used car-dealer they see and say "FUCK THIS!". That's the issue that I think you need to address. If a Jeep with DW isn't ( understandably) for you than that's one thing, but if a Jeep that has been fixed properly and handles safely STILL isn't for you then yea... I would look at just letting go of it and move on.
Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
StubEXrube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:03 AM   #10
Dancin Dan
Banned

Member # 3812
Cool. Just keep believing that because your jeep doesn't often see trails, it's completely unpossible for it to break. Ever. That'll make everything all better.

Why bother your FIL with this? He's got better shit to do, I'm sure. Why would you not begin going thru it on your own and call him when you have it nailed down and just need an extra pair of hands to get it sorted?

Old 01-02-2013, 08:04 AM   #11
gold knight
JKO Addict!

Member # 1460
Quote:
This

Quote:
Originally Posted by StepsRide View Post
Also get involved with a good jeep club and...IF you feed them and beer them they will come.
and this.

It's amazing what a good group of people with a little wrenching experience, a common interest and a genuine desire to help others can accomplish. The beer (and/or food) helps too lol.

Also get another opinion. It just doesn't seem reasonable you should have to throw everything away and start over again. Best of luck with the Jeep and hope it works out for you.
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
I count ten rounds on target for a moving vehicle in low light. How is this woman single?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think you just answered your own question.
gold knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 AM   #12
DisaMent
Rock God

Member # 20992
I agree, either take it back to stock with take-off parts from CL, forums, etc...I sold most of suspension parts pretty damn cheap.

- OR -

Bust a knuckle, find some friends, get dirty and replace the parts you listed above by yourself and keep it.

I'm on Jeep #3, had the DW on Jeep #2 and just couldn't shake it...Jeep nor the offroad shop.

Another solution: Don't drive 30 MPH. Drive 27 or 33 MPH, or gun it.

Disabled & Mental
U.S. Army Veteran
BUILD ~ VENDOR REVIEWS ~ DOGGIES
DisaMent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
Living_Legend
Granite Guru

Member # 17979
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
This part is pretty much in your control to remedy and to do it for much less... probably less than half of what they've "estimated". Consider taking it back to stock if you have to. Consider all the various suspension systems and parts that people have for sale. JKO, CL, etc. Even if you're not a seasoned mechanic and even if you don't have all the necessary tools, you can always borrow tools, rent tools, and even have an instal party to get this thing fixed and fixed right. The worst is that you've busted a few knuckles and paid for some pizza and beer. On the plus side... you've made some friends, correctly fixed the issue(s), and gained some knowledge. I'm still not at all convinced that your entire system needs to be replaced anyway.

THIS however is the portion of what you wrote that I would be more concerned with. Yep... Jeeps are definitely not for everybody. And I have seen plenty of Jeeps up for sale just because of the dreaded DW. In some instances it can take days or even weeks to begin to feel safe again. The experience can be so psychologically frightening that an owner will simply throw the keys to the first used car-dealer they see and say "FUCK THIS!". That's the issue that I think you need to address. If a Jeep with DW isn't ( understandably) for you than that's one thing, but if a Jeep that has been fixed properly and handles safely STILL isn't for you then yea... I would look at just letting go of it and move on.
i am down for the work to get this fixed. Then sell it. Having this problem come back once a year when i donít go off roading costing me a lot of money is not worth it to me. I KNOW ITS MY FAULT. I am not blaming the Jeep brand. I have just lifted trucks, lowered sports cars, and modded bikes. I have never had such problems with other vehicles. Jeep also falls on its face and has no power. I have had every vehicle known to man and I just am not a Jeep guy, ive learned that the hard way.

How much can i sell a Jeep with a DW problem, how much under KBB compaired to one that does not have the problem.?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Cool. Just keep believing that because your jeep doesn't often see trails, it's completely unpossible for it to break. Ever. That'll make everything all better.

Why bother your FIL with this? He's got better shit to do, I'm sure. Why would you not begin going thru it on your own and call him when you have it nailed down and just need an extra pair of hands to get it sorted?

are you the forum doucebag? every forum has one, pretty sure its you

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
This

and this.

It's amazing what a good group of people with a little wrenching experience, a common interest and a genuine desire to help others can accomplish. The beer (and/or food) helps too lol.

Also get another opinion. It just doesn't seem reasonable you should have to throw everything away and start over again. Best of luck with the Jeep and hope it works out for you.
Thanks. The new year is starting out fun.....

Old 01-02-2013, 08:16 AM   #14
Joshua
ZERO

Member # 17003
I live on the other side of Baltimore on Odenton and could help you go over all your steering on a weekend if you would like.
Joshua is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #15
Living_Legend
Granite Guru

Member # 17979
Quote:
Originally Posted by DisaMent View Post
I agree, either take it back to stock with take-off parts from CL, forums, etc...I sold most of suspension parts pretty damn cheap.

- OR -

Bust a knuckle, find some friends, get dirty and replace the parts you listed above by yourself and keep it.

I'm on Jeep #3, had the DW on Jeep #2 and just couldn't shake it...Jeep nor the offroad shop.

Another solution: Don't drive 30 MPH. Drive 27 or 33 MPH, or gun it.
yea, thats what i do now. just drive fast and i dont have the problem

Old 01-02-2013, 08:30 AM   #16
ASSFROW
A JKO Dick!

Member # 17518
Garage
Relax. It will work out. What dealer did you got to? Adams Jeep is in Aberdeen, not far from Parkville. They have a great rep and do all kinds of lifts, etc. There are also tons and tons of Jeepers in your area. Find a local club and reach out for some help.

What lift do you have? Take some pics of the front suspension parts from a few angles and post them here.

I'm in Maryland, but a bit far to come take a look or I would. Just to give you and idea, you could replace almost all of your front end components with much better quality stuff for around $2000 doing it yourself and I doubt you need everything. You could probably buy every tool to do it with for less than $200.
ASSFROW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #17
StubEXrube
Super Moderator

Member # 1473
Garage
You may get differing opinions but I wouldn't allow myself to take a significantly hard hit on the selling price. I would disclose that there is a handling problem but I don't know that I would come down too much on the kbb value. You may want to realistically knock off a couple grand because I honestly think that it won't take more than that for someone to fix it.... even less if someone wants to take it back to stock specs. I personally would try to fix this problem even if I decided that I wanted out of it altogether. That way you could stand firm on a higher asking price.

IDK... just me personally, I will NOT sell something that is problematic, or that I feel is taking advantage of the buyer... I don't care if it's a vehicle, an appliance... anything! I want to treat the potential buyer in the same way that I would want them to treat me. That doesn't mean disclosing every little thing about what you didn't like about the product, but at the very least... being honest about any major issues, safety issues, etc. I don't screw people... period. Not ethical nor responsible to take advantage of someone in that way... especially regarding something related to safety.
Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
StubEXrube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:36 AM   #18
Blackout
Meh

Member # 19282
Garage
I dont know much a bout much so i dont give to much tech advice but every one seems to think that a steering stablizer is just a bandaid and does not fix the prob but if it gives you enough time to fix the problems one at a time... seems like a damn good bandaid...if you replaced it 10 months ago and maby you could get 6-8 out of another one to give you some time.

Just a thoght.

Itís time to reevaluate the way we coddle the future generation. Making mistakes and getting hurt is how you grow. Teaching kids to fear Pop Tarts is how you promote xenophobia. Letís get it together, America.
Blackout is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:43 AM   #19
finnd1
Wheeler

Member # 12141
Quote:
yea, thats what i do now. just drive fast and i dont have the problem
If you are saying you can punch through the DW, then I would suspect you don't have DW at all. DW will require you to come to a complete stop to get it to end. You might have something as simple as tires out of balance.

As for trusting and believing in your jeep after DW, it took me a good two months before I would do 65 on the highway again.
finnd1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #20
DisaMent
Rock God

Member # 20992
From my experience on a TJ with DW the steering stabilizer does not work, it may decrease it, but won't rid the vehicle of it.

As for selling it, I would disclose any issue there are with it unless you are trading it in on another vehicle, then it becomes the dealers responsibility...they will typically road test the vehicle any way. I certainly would not take a hit on your selling price, it's bound to be an easy fix and if the new buyer wanted to go back to stock the current parts can be sold to compensate for the purchase of OE parts.

Disabled & Mental
U.S. Army Veteran
BUILD ~ VENDOR REVIEWS ~ DOGGIES
DisaMent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #21
Bdon
Wheeler

Member # 23772
Maybe someone mentioned it but is the trackbar mounting holes wallowed out any?
Does the bolt fit snuggly in the holes for the track bar?
sent using super pulsar technology
Bdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #22
Uncle Sams Misguided Child
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Member # 12861
Start simple and swap the tires around and get them rebalanced.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
when it's your turn to fuck the cat you can name the kittens.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:46 AM   #23
Dancin Dan
Banned

Member # 3812
Quote:

are you the forum doucebag? every forum has one, pretty sure its you

Thanks. The new year is starting out fun.....
No no, I'm the forum dickface. Says so right under my username. See, I make fun of people who have tried absolutely nothing and are completely out of ideas. Because people with that sort of a defeatist attitude is kind of hilarious to me.

Douchebags spike up their hair, go to tanning salons and make the duck face in all their pictures. Totally different.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:49 AM   #24
abendx
JKO Addict!

Member # 6613
Death wobble is nothing special. All solid axle front ends have the ability to produce this unfortunate issue. As stated, Planman's guide is good stuff, read it. The solution is easier than you might think, but run through ALL the steps, no matter what you think.

4k to fix death wobble? I don't care what they install, make better, whatever..... these guys don't use lube and are planning to anally rape you.... HARD! They've apparently done it to you before and know you like what they stuck into you, otherwise, you'd have not gone back. On top of that, this shop is full of people that have no clue as to what they are doing.... this build sheet they produced has nothing to do with death wobble other then they will replace almost every part that might cause it. There is no solution here, just a hope that shit will stick if enough cash is thrown at the problem. The irony will be in the fact that you might still have the DW after all is said and done, because those parts don't cover every possible problem area, as Planman's document will point out.

Then again.... you might want to just sell the Jeep and buy something more appropriate. Hummers have IFS and will not suffer from a DW issue, Chevy trucks have IFS, Toyota trucks have IFS.... the list is long.
abendx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:52 AM   #25
Southern Girl
Displaced Tennessean

Member # 17444
Before I left for Afghanistan, I lived in MD...there are quite a few great guys in the area that will give you a hand. PM me your info and I will pass it on to a couple of them that would be glad to lend a hand. They have wrenching parties all the time so it wouldn't be anything for them to take a look at your jeep with you.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.