Denny's to charge 5% ACA surcharge - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
N2rock
JKO Addict!

Member # 1458
Denny's to charge 5% ACA surcharge

Let's see how the libtards feel about Obamacare when all businesses start charging surcharge, and cutting employee hours below 30 per week. The cost of everything is getting ready to go up, and a lot more people are going to drop below the poverty line.

Denny's to charge 5% 'Obamacare surcharge' and cut employee hours to deal with cost of legislation
President Obama's election victory ensured his Affordable Care Act would remain the centerpiece of his first term in power - but that has left some business owners baulking at the extra cost Obamcare will bring.

Florida based restaurant boss John Metz, who runs approximately 40 Denny's and owns the Hurricane Grill & Wings franchise has decided to offset that by adding a five percent surcharge to customers' bills and will reduce his employees' hours.

With Obamacare due to be fully implemented in January 2014, Metz has justified his move by claiming it is 'the only alternative. I've got to pass on the cost to the customer.'

The fast-food business owner is set to hold meetings at his restaurants in December where he will tell employees, 'that because of Obamacare, we are going to be cutting front-of-the-house employees to under 30 hours, effective immediately.'

'I think it's a terrible thing. It's ridiculous that the maximum hours we can give people is 28 hours a week instead of 40,' said Metz to the Huffington Post.

'It's going to force my employees to go out and get a second job.'

Obamacare requires businesses or franchises with more than 50 workers must offer an approved insurance plan or pay a penalty of $2,000 for each full-time worker over 30 workers.

The program mandates that only employees working more than 30 hours a week are covered under their employers health insurance plan, chains like Olive Garden and Red Lobster are already considering reduced worker hours.

'Obviously, I'd love to cover all our employees under that insurance,' said Metz.

'But to pay $5,000 per employee would cost us $175,000 per restaurant and unfortunately, most of our restaurants don't make $175,000 a year. I can't afford it.'

Several other restaurants including Papa John's, Apple Metro and Jimmy John's have announced plans to skirt Obamacare by reducing employees hours to make them part-time.

Indeed, Metz is adding the surcharge because he believes that eventually firms will be fined for not covering staff who complete over 30-hours in a week,

In November, a poll for Kaiser Health Tracking found that 43 percent of the United States had a favourable opinion of Obamcare, while 39-percent had an unfavourable one.

'Instead of indirectly charging customers by raising prices, he is directly charging and making a political statement,' said Paul Fronstin, director of the health research program at the Employee Benefit Research Institute in Washington.

'Potentially 43 percent of this person's customers may find the explicit charge a turnoff, and vote with their feet and their money and choose not to eat there.'

Despite this, Metz has admitted he is willing to take the heat should the decision backfire on him.

'We're trying to get more restaurant operators rallied around the concept of adding a 5 percent surcharge to their bill to cover the costs of Obamacare as opposed to raising prices,' he said.

Earlier this week Papa John's CEO John Schnatter told shareholders in a conference call this week that Obamacare would cost the company 11 to 14 cents per pizza, a cost that would be passed on to customers.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz2CQqhc1tr
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK, Rubicon, Sahara, X, Sport
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
sin52
CalmerThanYouAre

Member # 5547
I don't eat out that much. One way or another someone is paying the tax, because that's what it is a tax, for obamascare.

NSA: The only part of the government that actually listens.
sin52 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:08 PM   #3
bsack
JKO Addict!

Member # 396
Announcement is too late to matter and I don't give a shit. The employees are in a income range that went for Obama anyway. Fuck 'em!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Hey, one cannot help being a DILF.
bsack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:24 PM   #4
ASSFROW
A JKO Dick!

Member # 17518
Garage
GIVE ME FREE HEALTH CARE OBAMA. OH you mean my boss has to pay for it, it's not free. Hahahah, oh well fuck him he makes lots of money anyway he can afford it. Um I don't understand, you're cutting my hours, because if I get free health care it will put you out of business, but it's the Obama AFFORDABLE health care plan. Oh yeah well fuck you I quit. I'll go join the bakers union and work for Hostess. Oh wait what the fuck.
ASSFROW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
redneck ron
Rock God

Member # 2457
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASSFROW View Post
GIVE ME FREE HEALTH CARE OBAMA. OH you mean my boss has to pay for it, it's not free. Hahahah, oh well fuck him he makes lots of money anyway he can afford it. Um I don't understand, you're cutting my hours, because if I get free health care it will put you out of business, but it's the Obama AFFORDABLE health care plan. Oh yeah well fuck you I quit. I'll go join the bakers union and work for Hostess. Oh wait what the fuck.
LMAO. Stupid is as stupid does. I hope all the Obama nut huggers get the pink slip first.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:45 PM   #6
N2rock
JKO Addict!

Member # 1458
Quote:
Originally Posted by sin52 View Post
I don't eat out that much. One way or another someone is paying the tax, because that's what it is a tax, for obamascare.
That's exactly right. And all taxes get passed to the consumer. Denny's is setting the stage for what is coming for everything.

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JK, Rubicon, Sahara, X, Sport
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
Abacabb
JKO Addict!

Member # 11755
Quote:

2012 Jeep Wrangler - Gecko
3.5" Rock Krawler X Factor
40x13.5 Nitto Mud Grapplers / 17" Fuel Hostage
Poison Spyder Brawler Lite / Poison Spyder Rocker Knockers
Poison Spyder RockBrawler w/ Tire Carrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k2wranglerx View Post
and yet... canada still sucks worse

we'd make fun of your prime minister if we could... unfortunately nobody's ever heard of him!
Abacabb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #8
bsack
JKO Addict!

Member # 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by redneck ron View Post
LMAO. Stupid is as stupid does. I hope all the Obama nut huggers get the pink slip first.
In a world where karma takes time to catch up with people, for once I see it slapping Obama voters across the face surprisingly fast. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Hey, one cannot help being a DILF.
bsack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
RubiCajun
Comfortably Numb

Member # 2650
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
In a world where karma takes time to catch up with people, for once I see it slapping Obama voters across the face surprisingly fast. I love it.
And it'll be more than one slap coming their way.

"Life is like a penis - simple, relaxed and hanging free . ...........it's women who make it hard."
RubiCajun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 05:33 PM   #10
sin52
CalmerThanYouAre

Member # 5547
FWIW Olive Garden, Longhorn steakhouse, and Krispy Kreme all support local soup kitchens so if things go bad and all the food service industry starts cutting hours consider those choices.
*Disclaimer* Lest anyone be misled Olive Garden isn't Italian food from across the pond but it is quality food at a fair price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
That's exactly right. And all taxes get passed to the consumer. Denny's is setting the stage for what is coming for everything.

Old 11-16-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
rum4
Granite Guru

Member # 23977
Quote:
Thats funny right there
Old 11-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
desert dog
JKO Addict!

Member # 7121
Garage
My local chamber of commerce has been planning Obamacare survival for a while now, as well as the coming tax increases.

I plan on laying off 11 employees and permanently keep my workforce at 49. I am going to automate a couple of jobs, cut back on one particular service, and sub-contract much of my trucking. This is the only way I can maintain a profit margin good enough to keep the employees happy and sustain the business. This sucks because I was about to expand my business and grow to new markets, but now that is not worth the effort.

Many other small businesses in my county are going to scale back to 49 or keep a part-time workforce.

My prediction: You will soon see a huge resurgence of low-paid temporary labor. Businesses being artificially forced to scale back labor and hours will result in much higher prices for goods and services. All of these idiots who supported Obama are about to sleep in the bed they made - and it is a bed of shit.
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 10:50 PM   #13
jdemonto
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Member # 427
Garage
All this makes me sick. I see the US economy slipping back into a deep recession.
Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
jdemonto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #14
highoctane
Rock God

Member # 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
All this makes me sick. I see the US economy slipping back into a deep recession.
Sad....but true.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Semper Fi
highoctane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-16-2012, 11:36 PM   #15
oz97tj
JKO Addict!

Member # 3528
All of these jobs getting cut back to part time will allow more hiring. Which in the Obama book is considering "creating jobs." Then he and his cronies can go on and on about how they double the work force in this country over the next few years, even though it's the same amount of people working but they just have two lower paying jobs now. The sheeple will believe he is the coming of Christ and will then support whoever he endorses as his successor.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:37 AM   #16
Uncle Sams Misguided Child
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Member # 12861
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
We will be lucky if it is only a recession and not a depression this time around.
Quote:
Originally Posted by unsub View Post
when it's your turn to fuck the cat you can name the kittens.
Uncle Sams Misguided Child is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-17-2012, 05:19 AM   #17
ASSFROW
A JKO Dick!

Member # 17518
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
This sucks because I was about to expand my business and grow to new markets, but now that is not worth the effort.
Can you start an LLC or new CO. for the new markets and move some employees there?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #18
BADGER
JKO Addict!

Member # 3621
Quote:
Can you start an LLC or new CO. for the new markets and move some employees there?
Not easily and depends on how you have your business structured. For example, if you are an s-corp you can create LLCs all day, but have to file as DBA (doing business as, in other words s-corp doing business as LLC). Depending on how you've registered with the feds, all that gets rolled up into the parent company. So if the S-corp has 30 employees and the LLC has 20....your company still has 50 employees.

There are some creative ways to make the best of this but I'm sure the JEF administration will block some of those pathways.

We've all seen the political collective lie through its teeth endlessly, but there is no doubt that despite his words the President has zero interest in championing small business - we've seen that through his actions. It's only going to get worse, and my guess is that since punitive taxation now has the blessing of the Supreme Court in the form of Obamacare, there will be more punitive taxation on the way in the form of punishing the guys like us who try to take the horribly unethical approach of staying profitable.
Old 11-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #19
Dancin Dan
Banned

Member # 3812
Quote:
I read this with the movie theatre trailer guy's voice in my head, which made it even better.

Sad part, it's gonna slap more than just the obama supporters this time around. Between his policies and appointing kerry to sec def, it's clear as a bell that ol bama is just getting warmed up.
Dancin Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #20
eizenjin91
Rock God

Member # 10362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
I read this with the movie theatre trailer guy's voice in my head, which made it even better.
Hahhahah I just did that too thats hilarious. It just sounds like an epic apocalypse movie.
'10 JKU - RK Arms - King 12x2.5" Front/14x2.5" Rear Coilover's - 40" Trepador Sticky - Superior 5.38's - D60 Front/Sterling 10.5 Rear - Warn locking hubs - Genright Gas Tank - Offroad Evo Corner Armor, Sliders, Front Stinger Bumper, Tire Cage - Poison Spyder Body Armor, Evap Skid, Trail Cage, Brawler Rear Bumper - Skid Plates - Warn 9.5 - Xenon Flat Fenders - Rigid LED's - Driveshafts - Etc. - Daily Driver
eizenjin91 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2012, 11:55 PM   #21
TEXASKEV
Official Monkey Business

Member # 112
Garage
Quote:
Announcement is too late to matter and I don't give a shit. The employees are in a income range that went for Obama anyway. Fuck 'em!
X2 Dumbasses get what they deserve
08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.
My RK Long Arm Coilover Build Pics
Rock Krawler Suspensions
TEXASKEV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 03:02 AM   #22
D94R
Granite Guru

Member # 22810
But all of us are going to get what they deserve.
D94R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-20-2012, 06:41 AM   #23
sin52
CalmerThanYouAre

Member # 5547
Us and them lol Politicians play us as polarized suckers.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:40 AM   #24
ASSFROW
A JKO Dick!

Member # 17518
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sin52 View Post
Us and them lol Politicians play us as polarized suckers.
We are all sheeple unless we decide to change it.
Old 11-20-2012, 10:46 AM   #25
slvyj

Member # 21860
I don't get it does this mean the current employees of Denny's do not have healthcare? Who currently pays when they get sick?
slvyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.