Sagging rear coil springs - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Modified JK Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
M&M's
I am the C.L.I.T. commander

Member # 18366
Sagging rear coil springs

Question; I have Currie 4" coil springs and the rears are sagging under a load more than I am willing to accept. Currie doesn't make a heavy pair yet for the JK's like they do for the TJ/LJ's so I am looking at the Synergy's JK rear lift coil springs.

Not sure if I would need to get the 4.5" or 6" springs to keep the 4" lift I want. I have a Genright rear tire carrier (steel for now) and a 35" spare (will be going to 37" eventually) and I also have heavier steel rock sliders but may be going with lighter aluminum ones. I also tend to load up the ass end pretty heavy when traveling out of town so basically the load varies if that helps any.

Input on Synergy (poly performance) springs please if you have it. Thanks
M&M's is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-14-2012, 03:15 PM   #2
pluke the 2
Rock God

Member # 11887
I purchased their springs because I had Heavy Duty OME coils that rode really stiff. I don't have much armor, nor bumpers, or very much extra weight. But I can tell you, before when I had OME Coils they never sagged and they were meant for load carrying a all time. I never had to use a spacer.

With my new coils, poly 4.5" coils, they haven't sagged (been on 4 months) but I did have to put in a 1" spacer in the front just to level the rig out because it came pre raked...

The ride difference for me is night and day. Love the Poly coils better because I don't have any weight. But if I had to choose a company that had heavy duty ass coils made for running heavy loads all the time, I would take OME over Poly, Teraflex, and Pro Comp. I've had experience with those 3 companies.

Poly 4.5" Coil with some 40's will do the job.

Poly 4.5" with 35's

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Plukethe2?feature=mhee
pluke the 2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-14-2012, 03:17 PM   #3
pluke the 2
Rock God

Member # 11887
i love that poly performance has progressive springs and i would probably never go back to a regular linear spring ever again

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

Old 09-14-2012, 03:23 PM   #4
pluke the 2
Rock God

Member # 11887
sorry not really answering the other part of your question. but i think all springs will sag over time. how much will they sag probably depends on the quality of them.

but when i installed these springs i got the advertised lift height from them not much more.

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

Old 09-14-2012, 03:29 PM   #5
M&M's

Member # 18366
Yup I run Heavy Duty OME's on my Land Rover Discovery with Bilsteins and know that if you drive it unloaded it's like driving my big dually around. They aren't progressive springs like the Currie's or the Synergy's. I won't ever go back to a linear spring either.

Without the Genright tire carrier and without the sliders, the lift sits pretty level but I did lose 1" on the ass end over the 4" Mopar lift I had on it originally. The ride with the Currie lift and springs is fantastic. Totally smooth but they are pretty known for having saggy asses which is why they made a heavy duty rear spring for the TJ/LJ's. Really surprised they didn't automatically do that for the JK's...dunno.
Old 09-14-2012, 03:33 PM   #6
M&M's

Member # 18366
Oh yeah, I guess the other alternative is to go to an adjustable spring spacer but I really wasn't looking to do that sort of fix unless it was the absolute best thing to do v/s replacing with taller springs...
Old 09-15-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
pluke the 2
Rock God

Member # 11887
Bump

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

Old 09-15-2012, 10:40 AM   #8
RODICON
30 Years of Rockin!

Member # 2233
Garage
Polys are the best!
Old 09-15-2012, 11:02 AM   #9
usmcdoc14
Fistfull of Boomstick

Member # 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
Bump
you bumped and reported the thread saying "bump"

usmcdoc14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2012, 02:44 PM   #10
pluke the 2
Rock God

Member # 11887
i know i screwed the pooch!

Cali Crew

My Youtube Channel:

Old 09-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #11
PIG
JKowners Vendor

Member # 119
Thanks for the kind words guys, let me know if you have any other questions!
PIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2013, 01:37 PM   #12
JeepingGreen
Rock God

Member # 9873
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pluke the 2 View Post
I purchased their springs because I had Heavy Duty OME coils that rode really stiff. I don't have much armor, nor bumpers, or very much extra weight. But I can tell you, before when I had OME Coils they never sagged and they were meant for load carrying a all time. I never had to use a spacer.

With my new coils, poly 4.5" coils, they haven't sagged (been on 4 months) but I did have to put in a 1" spacer in the front just to level the rig out because it came pre raked...

The ride difference for me is night and day. Love the Poly coils better because I don't have any weight. But if I had to choose a company that had heavy duty ass coils made for running heavy loads all the time, I would take OME over Poly, Teraflex, and Pro Comp. I've had experience with those 3 companies.

Poly 4.5" Coil with some 40's will do the job.
Sorry to awaken an old thread but this thread is getting right to the issue that I'm currently facing. After 4 years and 32000 miles on my Full Traction 3" coils, they are sagging bad. I also recently added a rear bumper/tire carrier and front bumper with winch and with those additions, I dropped about 1.5". Additionally, when I load it up with camping gear, the rear sags horridly - to the point where it bottoms on small potholes (on dirt fire roads)..

So, I was planning on upgrading my coils to the PP/Synergy 4" coils but it was brought to my attention that those may provide "too much" lift. "Too much" in the sense of having a steep pinion, being top heavy, etc..

What that leaves me is with a decision to make between either MetalCloak 3.5" coils or PP/Synergy coils. I notice you have the 4.5" coils and I'm wondering how different they are from the 4" coils.. I have a "full" lift kit (all arms and trackbars are adjustable, etc.).

I'm currently running BFG KM2 35x12.5x15's, 3.75" BS. There is a good chance that my next tires will be 37's.

Last edited by JeepingGreen; 06-07-2013 at 01:41 PM.
JeepingGreen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.