HID Projector' BIGGER DIY Kit - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Electrical & Lighting Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 11:27 AM   #1
Co4Lo
www.Co4Lo.com

Member # 4935
HID Projector' BIGGER DIY Kit

Once again... playing with lights.
The DIY kit comes nicely packaged and includes very well-written and easy to understand instructions, with pictures.
Great quality components. The housings are actually made of metal. Everything fits together very well.

I sanded off the chrome on the housing and the projector shrouds, and painted them the same colors as my other set. Sanding was very easy, and I would consider it neccessary if you want the best paint adhesion.

The quality depends on you. I kinda like that theory. The ingredients and the recipe are great, if you do this right, the product turns out awesome!

Side by side of the Halo projector next to the bigger one:

Couple during assembly...

Installed (Halo light on the passenger side)
Co4Lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #2
Co4Lo
www.Co4Lo.com

Member # 4935
I'll take it out tonight for some shots in the dark to compare the smaller ones to the larger ones.
Also, as I mentioned with the other ones... I would not recommend painting the reflector housing black unless you're using a brand new lens. Mine look a little hazy with the black housing because the lens is not perfect, even though the lens looked perfect in front of lighter colors.
Old 06-30-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
HIDprojectors
JKowners Vendor

Member # 20613
Thanks for posting up these pics - for anyone else interested, here's the link to my thread: HIDprojectors XTRA-LIGHT Bi-Xenon Headlights
HIDprojectors is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Co4Lo
www.Co4Lo.com

Member # 4935
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDprojectors View Post
Thanks for posting up these pics - for anyone else interested, here's the link to my thread: HIDprojectors XTRA-LIGHT Bi-Xenon Headlights
Tom, would you prefer if we merge these threads to streamline things?
Old 06-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #5
HIDprojectors
JKowners Vendor

Member # 20613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
Tom, would you prefer if we merge these threads to streamline things?
Nope - I think we'll get additional interest here as well. I can monitor both threads.

For those interested or with questions, take a look at my sale thread - theres a lot of info listed there and even a post with FAQs.

HIDprojectors XTRA-LIGHT Bi-Xenon Headlights
Old 07-04-2012, 02:52 PM   #6
Co4Lo
www.Co4Lo.com

Member # 4935
Couple things to note:

The index ring that is pressed into the provided housing may or MAY NOT be perfectly oriented for a straight horizontal beam pattern.

One of mine was pretty close. The other one was off by several degrees. Since the housings are intended for H4 bulbs, this would normally be irrelevant. But when retrofitting a projector with a cuttoff shield, it's important to index the top of the projector with the top of the housing.
I simply filed off the index tab on the retainer plate, allowing me to rotate the projector to match the orientation of the housing. Not a big deal, but pay attention to this when you assemble your lights.

Another thing:
No dust/water boot was provided with this kit. And there is a notable gap where the base of the bulb meets the projector housing(at the index grooves). It would be pretty easy to get dust or road spray into the projector. I found some rubber boots from an old set of lights that I was able to fit to these. But you should seal this up somehow.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #7
HIDprojectors
JKowners Vendor

Member # 20613
Jon I have some rubber boots that I can include, I just haven't found a good way to actually make them useful.

I run the exact same projectors in my Xterra and have for the past 6 months. I haven't been in any desert situations but have seen my fair share of dirt and have been through a number of heavy storms, car washes, etc. No dust, no water has gotten inside.

I put a few comments on your pic. I think I may do an installation video this weekend to help others as well.

Old 07-05-2012, 07:32 AM   #8
Co4Lo
www.Co4Lo.com

Member # 4935
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIDprojectors View Post
Jon I have some rubber boots that I can include, I just haven't found a good way to actually make them useful.

I run the exact same projectors in my Xterra and have for the past 6 months. I haven't been in any desert situations but have seen my fair share of dirt and have been through a number of heavy storms, car washes, etc. No dust, no water has gotten inside.

I put a few comments on your pic. I think I may do an installation video this weekend to help others as well.

Yep. The gap marked "This Area?" is the one I'm referring to. I can guarantee that in Moab and Colorado wheeling conditions, dust WILL get in there. You can see the base of the bulb through the gaps.
It would be easy to just wrap some tape around it, or dab some of the included sealant into those gaps. So not really a huge issue. Just something that Jeepers need to consider.

The hole I drilled for the High Beam leads has been grommeted and sealed. I didn't want to run the wires through the same hole as the projector housing because it can affect how straight the projector seats against the seal. So just another little change I made for the optimum fit. Not necessary, but better fit.

Otherwise, I'm really happy with them. I'll get a picture of my dust boot and should be able to get some night shots tonight. Been a little busy lately.
Old 07-05-2012, 07:55 AM   #9
HIDprojectors
JKowners Vendor

Member # 20613
Thanks for the feedback. I'll have some time this weekend to take some pics and videos as well.

I have access to a few rubber boots but none that will create a perfect seal there - the way the bulb is held into the projector prevents a nice tight wrap. Perhaps your idea of some elecrical tape would be the easiest and most effective solution.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:17 AM   #10
Rocknred
Wheeler

Member # 22184
That looks awesome! I can not wait to see the night time shots.
Rocknred is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2012, 06:27 AM   #11
HIDprojectors
JKowners Vendor

Member # 20613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocknred View Post
That looks awesome! I can not wait to see the night time shots.
I posted a night video in the first and last post here: http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=77003
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.