TeraFlex JK HD Hinged Carrier Pre-Order! - Page 3 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Community > JK New Product News

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 12:59 PM   #51
Horty
Wheeler

Member # 4968
So the 3rd brake light/License plate holder is included with the hd hinged carrier for 499?
Horty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #52
dern
Granite Guru

Member # 4866
Thumbs up

Looks good.
dern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #53
Stevedm
Wheeler

Member # 20045
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraFlex View Post
Update:
If you would like to only run a 35" tire, then you can run just the #4838130 JK HD Adjustable Spare Tire Mounting Kit $199.99. This piece will allow you to set the height and depth of how your spare tire is mounted to the tailgate. If your a more aggressive off road driver, you'll find that in the long run you will want the HD Hinged Tire Carrier also for better support. These will be out mid June, pre-production pieces will be in very soon. These will also come with a license plate holder/ 3rd brake light kit.
Wait, what? We dont need this carrier to run a 35" tire? What did i just preorder it for? My 35"tire fits fine on my carrier right now without anything!
Stevedm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 06:54 PM   #54
MOPWR2U
Granite Guru

Member # 9746
Hey, this might just work for me. I've been wanting to run a BFH Poison Spyder bumper, but kept wondering how I was going to carry the spare tire on the tailgate without wrecking the tailgate. I didn't want to buy a bumper that required me to cut the frame, because if I wrecked the tailgate carrying too big of a spare tire, I would need to buy a different bumper with a tire carrier as part of the bumper, but that option would have been out if I had already cut my frame for the BFH bumper. Now I can run the BFH bumper without worrying about having to go back to a bigger bumper with a tire carrier. I'm betting Teraflex helps Poison Spyder sell a few more bumpers.
2014 Wrangler Sport: Teraflex 3" suspension lift, Fox 2.0 reservoir shocks, Tom Wood 1350 driveshafts, Dynatrac Dana 60s w/ 4.56 gears and Eaton electric lockers, Warn locking hubs, Currie Anti-rock front swaybar, Fox ATS, 35" Toyo MTs on 17x8.5 Fuel Anza's, Poison Spyder bumpers and rocker guards, Warn M8000s winch, Teraflex tailgate hinge & spare tire carrier

Last edited by MOPWR2U; 04-27-2012 at 07:55 PM.
MOPWR2U is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 07:25 PM   #55
Northernmedic
Rock God

Member # 861
What is the maximum size tire or weight bearing capacity of this carrier? Will it handle a 40" tire on a beadlock rim?
Northernmedic is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2012, 11:01 PM   #56
that_guy
Granite Guru

Member # 16291
I cancelled my pre order. I could justify 500 but not over 700 for the whole set up. Fucking bummer too. I was really looking forward to this. Looks like I'll just order the OR Fab from Marcus.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:59 PM   #57
j5
Granite Guru

Member # 15473
I put a deposit down today. Nice set-up.
j5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #58
Krunchytaco
Granite Guru

Member # 183
Tooo Much $ for a bracket!
Thats my oppinion, and you can SUCK IT
Krunchytaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-01-2012, 08:32 PM   #59
Painkiller
Rock God

Member # 17231
a copy of a copy
DNA Fabrication
Painkiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 06:21 AM   #60
peanut
Rock God

Member # 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeraFlex View Post
Update:
If you would like to only run a 35" tire, then you can run just the #4838130 JK HD Adjustable Spare Tire Mounting Kit $199.99. This piece will allow you to set the height and depth of how your spare tire is mounted to the tailgate. If your a more aggressive off road driver, you'll find that in the long run you will want the HD Hinged Tire Carrier also for better support. These will be out mid June, pre-production pieces will be in very soon. These will also come with a license plate holder/ 3rd brake light kit.
Any chance you guys will offer a pre-production special price for all the parts? Might be worth it to get your product out there versus very few buying it... Just an idea.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 07:29 AM   #61
whosurbuddiee
Granite Guru

Member # 20038
I really am not sure what is worse here.... the constant people bitching about the price or the constant people bitching about the other people bitching about the price.

Either way, JK parts are not cheap and this looks to be quality. It is a great alternative for people who run a slim rear bumper and dont want do do a heavy bumper/tire carrier combo. I think OR Fab is the only others making anything in the same category and they are priced pretty similar.
whosurbuddiee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #62
Wurx
Granite Guru

Member # 14690
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosurbuddiee View Post
I really am not sure what is worse here.... the constant people bitching about the price or the constant people bitching about the other people bitching about the price.

Either way, JK parts are not cheap and this looks to be quality. It is a great alternative for people who run a slim rear bumper and dont want do do a heavy bumper/tire carrier combo. I think OR Fab is the only others making anything in the same category and they are priced pretty similar.
I have to second this.....
Old 06-05-2012, 08:07 AM   #63
spillidge
Eh!

Member # 4205
Quote:
Originally Posted by whosurbuddiee View Post

Plus Or-Fab doesn't open with the gate.

I agree with you. Dont dirty the thread with your complaining. What do you all expect to come from it? A $250 price redutction???
spillidge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-05-2012, 08:31 AM   #64
Espo78
Rock God

Member # 17843
Do you guys know why JK parts aren't cheap? Because people buy them. When people stop buying parts, and start letting companies know that they do not approve of the pricing scheme for a product, the price will either come down or the part will no longer be made. I do not see any posts about price in this thread as "bitching". I do see people "bitching" about other people posting about the price.

I have to agree with the majority here. It is a great product that could serve a niche audience well, at the right price. The people this is marketed too already have a lift and 35"+ tires. They most likely already have an aftermarket bumper, but not a tire carrier. Maybe Teraflex is banking on the fact that these mods are not cheap, and the people with enough money to modify a JK will be happy to pay 500-700 for this bracket.

I on the other hand have a mostly stock Jeep, and one of the reasons I haven't stepped up to 35s is all the additional components required, one of them being a frame mounted spare tire holder. If this product came in around $200-300 It would make sense to me as an alternative to a very expensive bumper/tire carrier combo. Right now though if I had to choose I would get a full bumper/tire carrier for the same price as this Teraflex bracket.

I'm not sure why anyone seems to have a problem with people stating opinions to the manufacturer. What's the worst that could happen, the price might actually come down?
Old 06-06-2012, 04:32 PM   #65
Krunchytaco
Granite Guru

Member # 183
Sorry Mike, but this is Project JK and your not supposed to have a negative oppinion about a product or it's price over here...your need to fall in line and say (in a zombie voice)! I like this product and I will pay what you tell me.... Or,it's a Jeep JK/ I have to spend too much money cause it's what we do.

Bitch about that!
Krunchytaco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-06-2012, 04:41 PM   #66
peanut
Rock God

Member # 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krunchytaco View Post
Sorry Mike, but this is Project JK and your not supposed to have a negative oppinion about a product or it's price over here...your need to fall in line and say (in a zombie voice)! I like this product and I will pay what you tell me.... Or,it's a Jeep JK/ I have to spend too much money cause it's what we do.

Bitch about that!
LOL
THe other thing about it is what Tera can take from this is that if Tera wants to sell a higher volume then they need to lower the price if the buisness model is low volume high price then they are right where they need to be.
Honestly I see where from a buisness perspective this info could be valuable. What is done with this info is another story.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-12-2012, 12:05 PM   #67
spillidge
Eh!

Member # 4205
Which vendors have these available?

I contacted one of my favorite vendors and was told maybe August. I need one sooner than that.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:22 AM   #68
Irishcoffee
Wheeler

Member # 17435
Garage
Looks like an innovative and practical solution!

Q: Does the new bracket (for the 35" and/or 37" tyres) hold up also extra a 2 bike carrier if I hit the off-road (gravel only)?

My experience with the stock carrier is that the rear door of the jeep was not designed to hold up a weight which may move independently during off-road i.e. extra weight other then the spare tire! I am notices a tension in the jeep rear door when I put up two MTB on the spare carrier and shake the car up and down only on the asphalt! FYI I'm talking about this carrier fixed directly on the spare tyre http://www.peruzzosrl.it/portabici.php?id_tip=3&id=15 (similar to Yakima or Thule).

Cheers!
John
JKU Diesel CRD, 2009, Front ARB Deluxe Bumper, IPf 100w, Warn M8000, OME 2", Asfir front skid, Mickey Thomson Clasic II 9x17, 32" BFG AT, 3:73 gear ratio
http://www.jeepromania.ro
Irishcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 02:10 AM   #69
MonkeyNuts
Wheeler

Member # 12061
Im not certain, but the teraflex design puts the weight onto the hinge, not the door itself.
The main problem i have read about people putting too much weight on the rear door carrier has resulted in the little welds holding each sheet of the tailgate together coming apart and screwing the door itself. Also same deal where the gate attaches to the hinge.
I dont think i have ever seen anyone saying the hinge itself has come to grief.

As for when you can get it, iv been advised in on August as well, but im cool with thatm wirth the wait.
MonkeyNuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 06:02 AM   #70
Espo78
Rock God

Member # 17843
IrishCoffee,

Wouldn't a cheaper solution be to get a bike rack that mounts to a 2" receiver instead of one that mounts to the tire? You are correct the stock tire carrier/tailgate is not meant to handle the weight of a larger tire and/or any gear.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:29 AM   #71
spillidge
Eh!

Member # 4205
So I have to preorder and they "might" be ready in August? Teraflex, any updtaes?
Old 06-13-2012, 03:56 PM   #72
TeraFlex
JKowners Vendor

Member # 1767
First batch of 25 is in shipping now.
YOUTUBE Videos
TeraFlex never left the market or the trail.
TeraFlex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 04:39 PM   #73
08RedRecon
Rock God

Member # 13375
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuntz01 View Post
Maybe it's me, but I laugh when I hear people complaining about what a product cost when it first hits the market. Products dosn't just magically appear one day. There are many different steps along the way from the time something is conceptualized until it marketed it for sale. All of these steps have a cost which is built into the price the company is selling the product for, plus hopefully a some profit as well. If a company doesn't make a profit on something, they either don't sell it any longer or they disappear from the market all together.

At least for me, I can understand why the product costs what it does. Is it for me right now. Not so much. Will it be for me in the future, I don't know. It depends on what I plan on doing with the Jeep.

I have to say I think this is a pretty innovative product. It certainly has a market for people who don't want to invest in a bumper carrier combo or don't want to have to deal with the hassle of a double pull just to gain access to the rear of their Jeep. Something else to keep in mind is the pure weight savings of using the Teraflex carrier over any other bumper carrier combo on the market. I'm sure at a minimum you're saving about 100-150lbs.
Just because it's a new product doesnt mean that it cost that much plus a little profit to develop. Im going to find some new shit to sell you so youll buy it just because its new and you believe it cost me that much to develop.
Yes, I understand it cost money to develop and market new items, but I also dont believe everything I see either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
Everyone shut the fuck up about the price. It's set and there's nothing you can do about it. If you don't have the money, buy something else. But most importantly, quit bitching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 616fun View Post
Bottom line is people will speak with a purchase. I, for one, think this cost is stupid and wouldn't pay this for a glorified bracket.

So you buy it if you feel like its worth it and shut the fuck up.
I voted by not buying it.
Last: RUCON - 2008 Rubicon, Silver 4Dr, Auto, RC 2.5" Lift, Superchips, Rugged Ridge Snorkel, Schrockworks Rear Bumper, Custom Front Bumper, Smittybuilt XRC8 Winch, KC SlimLites, Raptor Lined Fenders/Grill/Bumper/Hardtop
First: RECON - 2008 X, Flame Red 2Dr, 6 Spd, Trailmaster 4.5", 37 MTRs on 17" XD Addicts, Hypertech Programmer, Air Raid CAI, ORFab Front Bumper, KC SlimLites.
US Army (Retired) - Operation Enduring Freedom 2004-2005
08RedRecon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #74
Irishcoffee
Wheeler

Member # 17435
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo78 View Post
IrishCoffee,

Wouldn't a cheaper solution be to get a bike rack that mounts to a 2" receiver instead of one that mounts to the tire? You are correct the stock tire carrier/tailgate is not meant to handle the weight of a larger tire and/or any gear.
Well Jk Diesel export models didn't come equiped with a 2" hitch receiver. However, even if I would use such solution it could hinder the departure angles of my Jk.
Nevertheless I solved the rear door noisy issue and got the new arb with tire carrier! Basta now I have silence in the cabin especially on bumpy asphalt roads here in the Balkan Peninsula
:-) initially the noise been heard from within the rear door in my case.
I'm pretty currious if TF new carrier will respond well to a supplementary weight, other than the spare 35"/37".
Cheers
John
JKU Diesel CRD, 2009, Front ARB Deluxe Bumper, IPf 100w, Warn M8000, OME 2", Asfir front skid, Mickey Thomson Clasic II 9x17, 32" BFG AT, 3:73 gear ratio
http://www.jeepromania.ro
Irishcoffee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-13-2012, 09:43 PM   #75
ChryslerChris
Yellow Submarine

Member # 17593
Garage
Holy crap!!! How much???
2011 JK Sport. Detonator Yellow. RC 3.5 Series 2 lift, 35 inch BFG TA K/O's, RC front winch plate and Smitty XRC8 winch, bedlined tub, 5.13's, Aussie front, Truetrac rear, Teraflex Speedbumps... and NO STICKERS!
ChryslerChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.