Low Buck Plug-n-play Fog Lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Modified JK Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2012, 02:46 PM   #1
ShafferNY
Granite Guru

Member # 14565
Low Buck Plug-n-play Fog Lights

After swapping out my OEM front bumper for an aftermarket one, I found myself missing my fog lights. As a result I started looking for solutions to get them back. Ideally, I wanted something that was cheap and something that was plug-n-play with the factory wiring. The first thing I did was buy a set of these plugs from Steve White Motors so I could tap into the factory wiring. Cost= ~$21

Mopar Fog Light Installation Kit = 82210549AB

Then I tried to find a set of cheap fog lights that would work with the factory system. Everything I had read online said it was a crap-shoot whether aftermarket 55w fog lights would work or whether the TIPM would shut them down due to too much current draw. I decided to take a chance and pick-up a $20 set of Optiplex lights from Wal-Mart. After all, it was only $20 and I would know whether the 55w lights would work. I temporarily wired the lights up and sure enough, the TIPM shut them down. Since I couldn't afford HID's or LED's I had to come up with another solution.

After scouring the internet for hours looking at different lights, bulbs, etc. I found the H3 style bulbs in the lights I bought come in several different wattages. Armed with this knowledge I called my local Napa to see what they had in stock for H3 bulbs. All they had was 55w and up. I found some on their website but it wasn't stated what the wattage was. I gave my local Napa the part number and asked them to order them. I had a hunch they were 35w bulbs since their part number was LMP BP1235H3. When the bulbs came in, sure enough, they were 35watts. I installed them in the lights and soldered all my wires together and they work like a charm. All said and done it cost me like $55. Maybe down the road I'll get a set of HID's but for now I've got my fog lights back at least.

Last edited by ShafferNY; 12-21-2012 at 06:20 PM.
ShafferNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #2
lunneborgc
Granite Guru

Member # 17890
I like it, I've been thinking about getting some replacement fog lights. I also lost mine when I removed the front bumper. I'd like to have something comparable to what came on the jeep that I can run all the time with my headlights like I used to with my factory fogs. These just might work out for my needs.
lunneborgc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2012, 03:16 AM   #3
ShafferNY
Granite Guru

Member # 14565
I've also noticed that a lot off aftermarket fog lights used H3 bulbs, so you can really choose any style light you want and then just swap in the 35w bulbs. For example, Hella 500FF fog light use H3 bulbs.

Edit: These KC fog lights. also use an H3 bulb.

Last edited by ShafferNY; 01-30-2012 at 03:20 AM.
ShafferNY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.