ACE rock sliders - tough enough?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Modified JK Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #1
BADGER
JKO Addict!

Member # 3621
ACE rock sliders - tough enough??

So the '09 Rubi is gone, and the '12 Sport is in-house. This will be a different build - very modest for the first few years, a BB, meats, and a few other small items - to run moderate to low-end-of-difficult trails. And I'm trying to do it on the cheap.

For sliders I'm considering ACE. They are cheap and have positive reviews. Really I need protection from mild impacts and scrapes, a step for my daughter, and a place for the high lift if necessary. I don't plan on coming down them hard or generally beating the shit out of them.

I'm skeptical as to their toughness. Again, I don't need Hammers-level stuff, but last time I spent big bucks on a name-brand slider only to have my tub damaged. If I use the ACE sliders, they will be used alone without Rubi rails. I have heard a few instances of them flexing enough to fubar the pinch seam, but I don't know how they were being used.

Part of me wants to just pony up for the LOD sliders (these will work with my far-future lift) but none of our vendors I know of work with LOD and I hear they take a long time to deliver.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
RookieJK
JKO Addict!

Member # 13753
I know the ACE rails mount to the body mounts not the pinch seam like other. I have seen them in person on a 4dr and did my best to jump on them with all 250lbs of my fat ass as hard as I could and they didnt budge. Everyone Ive talked to with them love them and ya cant beat the price.
Old 01-26-2012, 01:52 PM   #3
debsjk
Wheeler

Member # 13509
Just got my ACE for Christmas. I like them for the step purpose, but haven't taken them out on the trails yet.
debsjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 02:12 PM   #4
Vince1
Rock God

Member # 9101
I bought mine after seeing them in use on rocks first hand last Fall. Very tough. I just got mine a couple weeks ago so no test yet, but they sure appear stout.
Vince1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 02:19 PM   #5
KrawlOff-Road.com
WWW.KrawlOff-Road.com

Member # 11892
We have them on our JK. We use them as well! We have had quite a few customers beat on them and say these have protected their rocker pannels and doors from some nasty trail damage. I dont see why they would not hold up for what your looking to do with them. Also, you cant beat the price on them as well!

We also carry LOD though if you would like to go that route. Their shipping does take longer than ACE's though.

-Jason
Old 01-26-2012, 05:07 PM   #6
TONKAJEEP
Granite Guru

Member # 9841
I have beat the shit out of mine...still straight as can be. The have a lifetime warranty too if you ever do damage them. But seriously, i'm pretty rough on mine and have had no issues.
TONKAJEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #7
Nwapache
Rock God

Member # 18149
Hmmm, i would have said go for it, hands down, until i read no rubi sliders. I've hammered the living daylights out of mine, and while they are rockstars i've noticed they do have some up and down flex in them. Maybe i just need to retighten the bolts, but its a good distance from the frame rail to the outside edge of the tube.
I'm taking mine out this weekend and i'll drop it on a boulder to see if the rails will push into the pinch seam with the whole jeep resting on them
Nwapache is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 07:26 PM   #8
jeeperjkj
Mall Crawler Extraordinaire!

Member # 4516
Garage
I had the ACE sliders and had to sell them because they are not compatible with the Poly rear LA brackets. That being said, I wouldn't have had issue with running them. I've read plenty of good stuff about them.

FWIW, I got my LoD front bumper from RDMOffroad. Unless I missed something he should still be a sponsor here.
Killing kids is a disgrace, i don't care how little they are.
www.rebeloffroad.com
jeeperjkj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 07:33 PM   #9
merlin4979
Breaker of nice things

Member # 10198
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
Part of me wants to just pony up for the LOD sliders (these will work with my far-future lift) but none of our vendors I know of work with LOD and I hear they take a long time to deliver.

Thoughts?
Why pay for something twice? Save a bit more and get what you want.

(And Marcus carries the LoD's. That's where I got mine.)
merlin4979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
legi0n
Granite Guru

Member # 17077
when I rotate the tires, I stick the hi-lift under the ACE rail and lift the side. There must be at least 2000lbs of weight on one rail without any side-effects.
legi0n is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
pcmasten
Wheeler

Member # 9452
I run ACE and feel that they are pretty stout. Good for steps. I have had them flex into the pinch seam though (not much though). I've hit them pretty good at slick rock and deer valley. I'd buy them again, but i would run them with the rubicon rails if you have them.
2 1/2" teraflex lift + 1" spacers
JKS Adj front/rear trackbar and quick disco's
ACE Mfg Rock Sliders
pcmasten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 05:32 AM   #12
Tight_wad
Rock God

Member # 5276
I've put my ACE slides to the test and they handle the full weight of my JKU just fine in the rocks.

I now have the ACE slides with the Rubi rails (swapped my OEM step boards for them). Together they are even better!
Tight_wad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 06:03 AM   #13
spedly
Rock God

Member # 13091
Why run the ace sliders plus the rubi rail instead of 1 sturdy slider that will have more clearance?

I've seen people recommend the ace/rubi combo and I always wonder why. I've wheeled with guys that have that and they usually bang the sliders on stuff that I don't even touch because of how far the ace sliders hang down.
spedly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 06:30 AM   #14
BADGER
JKO Addict!

Member # 3621
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post
Why run the ace sliders plus the rubi rail instead of 1 sturdy slider that will have more clearance?

I've seen people recommend the ace/rubi combo and I always wonder why. I've wheeled with guys that have that and they usually bang the sliders on stuff that I don't even touch because of how far the ace sliders hang down.
I've always wondered the same thing on both counts. The ACE sliders do seem to hang fairly low. As an advocate for keeping things as light as reasonably possible, the concept of hanging 100+ lbs off EACH side of the Jeep in the form of Rubi rails plus ACE sliders just to get 'full' protection is pretty half baked.

For those wondering I'm simply refusing to go with body-mount sliders this time. The body is just flat weak. The only one I trust is Nemesis, but frankly I still would rather not drill holes in the tub and they are pricey (but apparently very much worth it). So frame mount it is.

Of those, only two will work for future application - LOD and EVO. The EVOs are just badass but aesthetically they just don't work for me (petty, I know). That leaves LOD, and the ACE as 'a few years temporary' sliders.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:37 AM   #15
616fun
Granite Guru

Member # 18209
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spedly View Post

Likely the reason is cost. $544 plus shipping for the Evo's, then pay to have them welded on if you don't have the equipment/skills. You're easily into $800+ with that route.

Ace can be ha for $360 shipped. Pick up used Rubi rails for $100. You're almost 1/2 the cost of Evo.

They make a great step as well. With kids a step really is needed.

I'm not bashing Evo, I think they are badass. Just I'm not to the point in life where money grows on trees.
616fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 08:39 AM   #16
Tight_wad
Rock God

Member # 5276
My reason for the ACE slides was simple, price and how long I would have to wait on them. Price because I am just a weekend warrior with a DD. And anywhere I go to off road, I have to get back from. So how hard I push things is always based on that. And for the wait, I had them on 2 days after I ordered them.

I added the Rubi rails, because I traded even up to someone for my OEM steps. Now when I make contact with something now, the Rubi rails are right there filling the space between the ACE rails and the pinch seam. That is a plus not a negative.

The ACE rails stick out enough to be a step for the wife and kids, and protect the JKU from the side. That's helped save totally ripping off of my rear flares a few times, but not always. The others appear to give this same protection.

I not going to bash any of them, but I just can't see any extra ground clearance with LOD or EVO, at least not from their website pictures and the size tubing each uses. I measured mine from the pinch seam (not the Rubi rail) to the bottom of the tubing of the ACE and it's 2.5".

The LOD's done appear to give much better clearance. I say that based on the fact that they use 2" tubing and there is a gap between the rail and the pinch seem. Weight is 120 pounds. Price almost double, wait time more than I am willing.

The EVO's use 1.75" tubing and look like they are spaced a little more off the pinch seam than the LOD's. Weight is not list so don't know. Price again is almost double, wait time I have no idea on.

So I am just not seeing that the clearance is going to be that much different than ACE's. Minimal at best, again I am judging this by their photos, not seeing on in person. So it is a little bit of an opinion.

I will agree that frame mount is superior to body bolt mount. But for twice the price and nominal added, if any ground clearance, my build just doesn't justify it. Besides, I could tie them into the frame similar to the bolt on design of the LOD if every I thought I need too. And still not be anywhere near twice the price.
Tight_wad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 08:47 AM   #17
pcmasten
Wheeler

Member # 9452
Do you really want to drill holes in the tub for a body mount? It's a lot more work than installing the ace rails.
2 1/2" teraflex lift + 1" spacers
JKS Adj front/rear trackbar and quick disco's
ACE Mfg Rock Sliders
pcmasten is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 10:38 AM   #18
relayer4u
Wheeler

Member # 6993
Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
I've always wondered the same thing on both counts. The ACE sliders do seem to hang fairly low. As an advocate for keeping things as light as reasonably possible, the concept of hanging 100+ lbs off EACH side of the Jeep in the form of Rubi rails plus ACE sliders just to get 'full' protection is pretty half baked.

For those wondering I'm simply refusing to go with body-mount sliders this time. The body is just flat weak. The only one I trust is Nemesis, but frankly I still would rather not drill holes in the tub and they are pricey (but apparently very much worth it). So frame mount it is.

Of those, only two will work for future application - LOD and EVO. The EVOs are just badass but aesthetically they just don't work for me (petty, I know). That leaves LOD, and the ACE as 'a few years temporary' sliders.
Have a look at the White Knuckle Off Road sliders as well, they are frame mount and look a lot like the Shrockworks sliders.
relayer4u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 10:50 AM   #19
Jaybee1669
JKO Addict!

Member # 8728
Garage
I'm currently running the ACE sliders and i can tell you that they can take a hit. I dropped the full weight of my JKU on them last year at Jeep Jamboree. I bent them all to be damned, but they kept my pinch seem from getting wrinkled.

Installing some Teraflex aluminum boatsides soon though. Not as a nock against the ACE rails, just wanted something different.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:55 AM   #20
616fun
Granite Guru

Member # 18209
Garage
Also....so long as your running rubi rails as an extra layer of protection for the pinch seams - who cares if you bend them? ACE will replace them free!!!!
616fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #21
spillidge
Eh!

Member # 4205
Trail Gear Toyota sliders.

Frame mount, cheap, and you can choose where you want to place the mounts for future long arm, ect.
spillidge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 11:02 AM   #22
BADGER
JKO Addict!

Member # 3621
Quote:
Originally Posted by relayer4u View Post
Have a look at the White Knuckle Off Road sliders as well, they are frame mount and look a lot like the Shrockworks sliders.
Geez those things look ridiculously stout. Fair price too. Unfortunately that 3rd support interferes with long-term plans (in the form of a RK long arm).

I'd sure recommend them to someone else though.
Old 01-27-2012, 01:42 PM   #23
Gotlime?
JKO Addict!

Member # 16884
A friend made these for me. They serve as steps, protect the body and the flares. I have used a hi-lift and the sliders to jack up the Jeep with no issues.

Passenger side got used on this little obstacle:
Gotlime? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2012, 07:14 PM   #24
mellowyellow
Granite Guru

Member # 11993
i seen yall at the flats, i was the yellow jk.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #25
b4tn
Granite Guru

Member # 12222
Ace rails bolt to the frame! They are very solid and can take a good hit. Here is a video you can hear the first hit on the drivers side and see them drag on passenger. They do hang a bit low though, but as long as they hold up I don't care. Mine are pretty rashed up but still straight as the day I bought them.

Rausch Creek 1\15\2012 - YouTube

Justjeepgear.com
b4tn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.