esp bas engine light help!!!! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Stock JK Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 09:46 PM   #1
slow_talon
Wheeler

Member # 19121
esp bas engine light help!!!!

well i'm trying to know why did this message showed up on my cluster?? esp bas light, abs and the sliding light came on if anyone has had this problem how did you fixed it thanks in advance
slow_talon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 10:12 PM   #2
HOOLIGAN
JKO Addict!

Member # 7236
Bad wheel speed sensor is my first guess.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
HOOLIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 07:18 AM   #3
Butkus34
Granite Guru

Member # 10823
Lots of things can make that happen. Like Hooligan said, bad sensor, could also be the wires that lead to the sensor, check and make sure they are in good shape. There are multiple things, have you been doing any offroading or flexing with the jeep that might have led up to this? Type the key words in the search engine on the sight, you'll find this is a pretty common problem and has multiple reasons and solutions. Good luck to ya!

I got this same scenario when the sensor wire got pulled from it's clip and eventually rubbed enough that it exposed the wires and cause the "christmas tree" to light up so it could be from something that you did earlier and showed up later. Best to just keep checking all around.
Smittybilt Oversized Tire Carrier
Butkus34 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
slow_talon
Wheeler

Member # 19121
sorry to ask this but where is the wheels speed sensor located?? and also how do i know which one is the bad sensor since there are 4 of them?

Last edited by slow_talon; 01-07-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 01-07-2012, 10:25 AM   #5
CarmanJK
Granite Guru

Member # 11777
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOLIGAN View Post
Bad wheel speed sensor is my first guess.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.
X2..............
CarmanJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 07:01 AM   #6
Res6cue
Granite Guru

Member # 11570
Does your dash look like this??

I broke my passenger side rear speed sensors while wheeling. It cost less then $10 to get fixed. The sensor is located on the inside of the wheel towards the front. From under the Jeep it is at about 9:00. Should be the only wiring going to the wheel/tire.

'12 JK Artic - 2" RE Lift, Poison Spyder Knockers, Surprise Straps Grab Handles
Res6cue is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
UGOTKERN
Granite Guru

Member # 5837
Most likely a bad sensor or broken wire leading to a sensor. Rears are easy to replace, fronts not so much. Dont get me wrong the fronts arent hard to replace but more time consuming. Unfortunately if its a sensor this is no way that I know of to troubleshoot which one is bad other then keep swapping to the lights go out.... and by the way our lights dodnt go out until driven 50 feet or so.
UGOTKERN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
SSrubi07
Granite Guru

Member # 18738
it happened to me when i lifted my jk, and changed tires, just took it to have the wheels aligned and that was it!.. Hope it helps.
Old 01-11-2012, 07:54 PM   #9
HOOLIGAN
JKO Addict!

Member # 7236
Take it to an Auto Zone. They had a code reader that reads ABS lights. Mine came up left rear speed sensor.

Here, Advance Auto's reader only does CEL codes. Carquest didn't have a reader. If you don't have an Auto Zone, call around. Most parts places have code readers they will let yo take out to the parking lot and pull your codes. Make sure you ask if it reads ABS codes. Cost....FREE.

If you decide to just start swapping parts until the lights go out, the front and the rear sensors are different.
HOOLIGAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 08:02 PM   #10
slow_talon
Wheeler

Member # 19121
thanks for all of your imput guys I really appreciated I will be going to autozone tomorrow and will see if they have a scanner capable to read abs sensors
Old 01-18-2012, 04:15 AM   #11
JKjeepguy
Wheeler

Member # 19372
Try this to get a code:

Turn your key from Off to On 3 times very quickly. (Don't actually start the Jeep, just turn the key until the dash lights turn on)
This key trick should display the current fault codes and then will say "DONE" when its finished. The codes will show up in the odometer.

I have the same dash lights lit up as you. I just found out about doing this with the key yesterday.

Mine read U1417 - Implausible Left Wheel Distance Signal Received (whatever that means), Still doesn't say front or rear, but at least I know which side to troubleshoot.
JKjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 08:33 AM   #12
slow_talon
Wheeler

Member # 19121
well took the jk to get it scanned and it is a bad speed sensor the one on the left rear thanks for the imput guys... now i just need to order the part and fix it thanks
Old 07-09-2012, 06:33 PM   #13
asphalt assault
Rock God

Member # 12648
digging up a thread from the dead....LOL I know how to search. well heres the deal........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Res6cue View Post
Does your dash look like this??

My dash looks similar to this. just dont have the ABS light on so my sensors are likely good. also I can turn the traction control on with the switch and light goes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSrubi07 View Post
it happened to me when i lifted my jk, and changed tires, just took it to have the wheels aligned and that was it!.. Hope it helps.
Last time I was out offroading I hit something and steering wheel was off center. well I checked my alignment and the toe is at 0. maybe not ideal but it is within spec so I just centered the steering wheel. light is not out yet so hopefully it will go out soon. anything else I can do?
asphalt assault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-10-2012, 08:11 AM   #14
asphalt assault
Rock God

Member # 12648
Light is out! Success
Old 09-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
truckeeboy

Member # 17818
I had to ESP/BAS and sliding lights on. I hit something the other day and slightly bent my drag arm. The steering wheel was off center, the computer thought the Jeep was sliding or something. Re-centered the steering wheel following the instruction in another thread and low and behold the lights went out after about 10 miles.
truckeeboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #16
lohchief
The Cav is forever.....

Member # 3289
Garage
When I picked up my then new 08, on the 35 mile trip home my dash lite up like a xmas tree.I took it back the next day and they had to replace a computer that was under the console.They also had to put in a new stereo.Mine didn't work at all.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:25 PM   #17
TRLRDY

Member # 16362
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckeeboy View Post
I had to ESP/BAS and sliding lights on. I hit something the other day and slightly bent my drag arm. The steering wheel was off center, the computer thought the Jeep was sliding or something. Re-centered the steering wheel following the instruction in another thread and low and behold the lights went out after about 10 miles.
I also re centered my steering wheel but the ESP BAS light still did not turn off. and my Jeep did the same thing where it thought it was sliding I have a feeling that my drag arm is bent but im not certain; how could you tell? How did you fix yours?
35" Mickey Thompson MTZ
TRLRDY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
Nucleophile
Granite Guru

Member # 20553
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRLRDY View Post
I also re centered my steering wheel but the ESP BAS light still did not turn off. and my Jeep did the same thing where it thought it was sliding I have a feeling that my drag arm is bent but im not certain; how could you tell? How did you fix yours?
Centering the steering wheel is tricky. If its off just a little, the lights will come on. I had mine done on an alignment rack and I still had the lights come on about once a month. I got tired of it so I pulled out my AEV ProCal module which will tell you when the wheel is centered, not by how it "looks" but by how the Jeep thinks it is. But for that to work, the wheels have to be pointed straight ahead or the whole excercise is pointless. To accomplish that I used a long piece of mason's string and strectched a line thru the center of my rear wheel and thru the center of the front wheel. Then I turned the steering wheel until the front tires where pointed in the same direction as the rears, or straight ahead. Then I proceeded to loosen the adjuster on the drag link and followed the ProCal instructions. Worked like a champ. No more lights.
Nucleophile is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2012, 08:28 PM   #19
asphalt assault
Rock God

Member # 12648
interresting. I didnt have much difficulty to get mine straight enoungh to get the lights out. it did take a few drives, it just did not happen right away. I think you have to hit certain speeds and keep the wheel straight for the computer to learn that it is straight and your not moving the wheel much to what it considers off center before it clears its light. my theory though.
JKUR auto | 5:38 Yukon gears | 36" Irok radial | MT ClassicII 17x9 4.5"bs | TF 4" lift 2" boost = 6", monster Panhard bars | ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV cv shafts | SC traildash | Xenon flat fender flares | plus others
Old 03-18-2013, 01:40 PM   #20
JLAW

Member # 27818
ESP BAS

I have the same issue with the ESP BAS and swerving car symbol. Just had the clock spring replaced last week because of the same issue. From a visual inspection, it also looks like bad wiring on my front left wheel speed sensor. Is there any danger in driving around town like this for a few days before I can fix it?
JLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 02:18 PM   #21
asphalt assault
Rock God

Member # 12648
No danger. Just the traction control, anti-roll mitigation, abs, etc. won't be working. You have to use your head and not depend on electronics to safe your ass. Rofl
JKUR auto | 5:38 Yukon gears | 36" Irok radial | MT ClassicII 17x9 4.5"bs | TF 4" lift 2" boost = 6", monster Panhard bars | ASFIR bumpers, skids | SuperWinch EPi9.5 | RCV cv shafts | SC traildash | Xenon flat fender flares | plus others
Old 04-12-2013, 08:28 PM   #22
mitter
Granite Guru

Member # 21726
This just happened to mine on the ride home tonight. I installed my RK 2.5 max flex kit and was getting the weird anti skid thing happening when going around corners. I think it just gave up and decided to throw my ESP bad light on. Everything is awesome after the lift, just that the steering wheel is at 2 o'clock instead of 12 when going straight. Will an alignment fix this?
mitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #23
mitter
Granite Guru

Member # 21726
Oops I meant bas light
mitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 PM   #24
kirb123

Member # 29285
Having the same problem. Tried the turning the ignition thing but no codes. Any ideas anyone. Did notice the other day after leaving work and ther was some hard rain started driving down the roadand traction system started activativing when i wasnt sliding or anything gonna look over some wiring and see if something is loose or worn through insulation. Any suggestions would help.

Last edited by kirb123; 05-16-2013 at 04:34 AM.
kirb123 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #25
Panamon Creel
Rock God

Member # 12456
First suggestion, try reading through the whole thread, there are already tips given there (e.g. using Code reader for ABS codes)

2010 JKU Sahara
It's all about smiles per gallon, not miles per gallon
Panamon Creel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.