Teraflex VS Rockkrawler VS AEV for a daily driver...................... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Modified JK Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2012, 08:26 PM   #1
ROADKING
Granite Guru

Member # 7322
Exclamation Teraflex VS Rockkrawler VS AEV for a daily driver......................

Teraflex VS Rockkrawler VS AEV for a daily driver......................
I am looking for the best lift for my new 2012 daily driver. It will see 95% daily driver duty with some weekend trail rides. What are everyones experiences and opinions on these lifts? I want to make sure I pick the right one on the first go around. I normally end up with multiple lifts per jeep and I really want to avoid that this time.
Thanks,
Chris
ROADKING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2012, 08:50 PM   #2
TXROCK
"Addiction" SOLD

Member # 5262
I will let you know soon! I already have the Teraflex 3" spring/shock kit...it was okay but would probably had been better if I purchased a full-on kit with the arms. Right now it rides kind of like a tank when I hit bumps....not a lot of give or suspension absorbing the less than smooth road surfaces. Offroad it does pretty good though!

But it seemed like with popularity of the TF name came bigger prices as well so I went with a full RK kit given all of the great feedback on their products and pictures of other members with their RK kits in action! Installing it tomorrow and can tell you it's BEEFY!!

Good luck on your choice!

RIPP Supercharged, GenRight Armored, RK suspension, 3rd row seat, sPOD, LIGHTS!, 12V auxiliary power (all 7 passengers), etc!

Last edited by TXROCK; 01-06-2012 at 10:05 PM.
TXROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
captjay
Granite Guru

Member # 15045
First off, "best" is always subjective. My opinion and your opinion on a smooth or rough ride may vary.

I had installed the RK X Factor Plus Long Arm Upgrade, 5.5" springs, and RRD 2.0 shocks a month ago. Even with 3 link in front, I have been extremely pleased with the ride quality on the road. So far I have made several 200 mile road trips and was I was not fatigued like I was with previous lift. There is slightly more body roll IMO than I'm used to but once I drove few times, I barely notice it except on interstate at 70 and with some heavier wind. BUT they do make the full 4 link for front in another kit. The shocks seem to be slightly stiffer than others but I lowered my psi in tires a little and got an even smoother ride.

Overall ride quality, I would not even think of switching the RK out for another brand. This is my first RK product on my JK and very happy with my decision. The arms are super stout and heavy but the added weight I have not noticed decrease in mpg. RK has an excellent parts warranty but at least for the wheelin I do, it's doubtful I'd break the solid steel arm. If that happens, then I have done something seriously screwed up.

RK is the 2nd brand lift installed and I would not hesitate to purchase RK again for another Jeep.
Old 01-06-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
Snotty
Wheeler

Member # 18280
Of the three:

AEV for the best on lifted road experience but willing to sacrifice off road flex and durability.

Tera for the best off/on road combo.

RK if you are going to play in the rocks and need the flex but don't care about the on road ride.
Snotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 10:02 PM   #5
glomb23
JKO Addict!

Member # 15593
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotty View Post
Of the three:

AEV for the best on lifted road experience but willing to sacrifice off road flex and durability.

RK if you are going to play in the rocks and need the flex but don't care about the on road ride.
I agree with everything you said except saying RK if you don't care about on road ride. I know you think there is a ton of RK fan boys that blindly sing their praises, but I've got to say my jeep drives better on road now with the RK products than it did stock. Just my opinion of course.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:00 PM   #6
jason mac
GODFATHER

Member # 12019
Just bought a new 2012 unlimited and went with the same lift I had on my 2010 unlimited. Teraflex 4" with full flex arms. Ride was a bit rough until I went to the Fox IFP shocks & stabilizer. Then it rode great and handled really well on & offroad. That is why I went with the same setup for my 2012.
Old 01-06-2012, 11:11 PM   #7
TXROCK
"Addiction" SOLD

Member # 5262
I had thought about finishing out the teraflex kit on mine, but the higher prices on TF parts to finish it out helped me make my mind up to replace the current kit with a RK kit....especially after all the input from members here and the San Antonio Jeep Nation guys I got together with during Christmas vacation who are running the same kit!

RIPP Supercharged, GenRight Armored, RK suspension, 3rd row seat, sPOD, LIGHTS!, 12V auxiliary power (all 7 passengers), etc!
TXROCK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 11:25 PM   #8
TEXASKEV
Official Monkey Business

Member # 112
Garage
Quote:
Of the three:

I'm currently running the 3 link longarm coilover RK suspension. The on road ride is in fact outstanding and its crazy flexy offroad.

I've had a 4" Teraflex in the past, also very good on and off road. I don't know much about the AEV.
08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.
My RK Long Arm Coilover Build Pics
Rock Krawler Suspensions
TEXASKEV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2012, 11:47 PM   #9
Tail Rated
JKowners Vendor

Member # 3265
Maybe post up where you are located. It' sbest if you can go for a drive with someone that is running 1 of those 3 lifts. That way you can get a first hand feel of the kit and wheel/ tire combo.

Honestly, all 3 manufacts make great lifts that handle well both on and off road IF you set them up complete. everyone is different on what they consider a good on road ride though.

The AEV is bolt on and drive it. rides great and handles the extra weight of gear, bumpers, etc without any sag in the springs.

The TF and RK have much more options/ upgrades available.
So you can build/ dial in the ride the way you want it with high end shocks.

The most recent JK I drove was running a 4.5" aev with Elka shocks. on road ride was incredible. cornered very nicely even with the taller lift and 37's.
Rigid Industries JW Speaker GOBI Racks Posion Spyder Customs
Tail Rated is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 03:55 AM   #10
jeepnick
Rock God

Member # 4404
Garage
Quote:
Of the three:

Are you going by what you've heard on the forums or have you ran the 3 kits?
I've ran 2 of the 3 kits and can only comment of the ones I have experience with

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
I'm currently running the 3 link longarm coilover RK suspension. The on road ride is in fact outstanding and its crazy flexy offroad.
i couldn't agree
More

I had the aev 3.5, ran it for almost 2 years, 45k and alot of wheeling(lots of rausch trips, rock run, and jkx), i have worn and replaced every single part that was aev, now I'm running the rock krawler 5.5 longarm with rrd coilovers and rrd shocks with resi in the rear
I have to say the on road quality is 10 times better then the aev. Doesn't even compare
Spend it right the first time

*gone*09rubi unlimited Rock Krawler 5.5 long arm w/rrd Coilovers 37 Falken wildpeak's Currie 60's
jeepnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 05:40 AM   #11
DaK
Granite Guru

Member # 15034
Disagree with the road ride comment about RK...

I have the RK 3.5" X factor and this thing rides just as good if not better than stock on the streets. Yes, probably more for rock crawling than anything but, still rides very nice. This kit flexes enough that it will stuff 35" toyo's into the stock fenders and grind them pretty good, does the same to the back fenders.

Have the Bilstein 5100's under it and running toyo 35's at 32 PSI. Also have the bilstein steering stabilizer which helps out a lot.

An item most people don't consider till it gets broken off is a stabilizer relo kit. This puts the stabilizer on top off of the tie rod where it is less prone to getting smacked by a rock or whatever you are trying to get over.
DaK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 06:02 AM   #12
RubiZealot
Citizen.

Member # 6292
Rock Krawler. I drive 56 miles a day for work and I can beat the shit out of it on the rocks and it drives swell all the way home.

My only problem with AEV is that if you bash an LCA on something, you're bashing a stock square tube. RK arms will be around with cockroaches after the bomb.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:22 AM   #13
merlin4979
Breaker of nice things

Member # 10198
Garage
Not to toss another in the mix, but shouldn't the Poly Performance lift kits be included in this selection too? I've heard nothing but praise about their setups, and that they are as good as the three names listed in the OP.
merlin4979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 08:27 AM   #14
JKashat
Rock God

Member # 6786
I have experience with 2 of the three mentioned. Teraflex and aev. I had installed a teraflex 2.5" spring kit with shock adapters originally on my 2010 jkur. I hated the ride for my daily driver so bad that I drove over to aev (local to me) and drove one of theirs with the 3.5" lift. Night and day. The aev rode better than stock. Made an appointment and had aev remove the teraflex and installed the aev 3.5" lift. I had the teraflex a total of about 2-3 weeks and the only thing that got me through it was knowing that rough riding lift was going to be off soon enough. Sold it for half what I paid and was happy.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #15
josh_jacklyn
Rock God

Member # 9010
you're going to have to chalk this thread up to another "personal preference". all 3 companies are great, and you really can't go wrong with either one of them. i use rk on my 2dr and the ride quality only increased. it is one of the smoothest riding vehicles i've ever owned. when i was at ejs 2011 i got to ride in an aev jeep and they were doing 65 and making hair pin turns and shit like no other and it was nice. their stuff is a little more expensive but if that's your thing then go for it. and my buddy swears by teraflex! he has had their 3" kit on his 07 pretty much since the day he bought new back in 07.

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
josh_jacklyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #16
jkristie44
Banned

Member # 8243
I love my Poly kit. The only thing I wish I didn't do was get Bilsteins.
jkristie44 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 01:07 PM   #17
Addiction
Granite Guru

Member # 14377
I can only provide my opinion on the TeraFlex left. I wanted a lift that would preform off road and still give me a good ride on the road. I have been very pleased with the Tera left. I have the 6" long arm LCG with Elka shocks and speed bumps on the front and rear.

All three lifts you have listed are good. Each of the companies build good quality products and are dedicated to improving their products.

If I was to offer any advice. For both on and off road performance I would suggest going with a long arm kit and spending the extra money on shocks. There are a lot of great shocks out there and you can spend some cash on them. If you have a local JK club or JK shop, ask if you can go for a ride in rigs that have different shocks. You will find some preform well off road and are a little stiff for road driving, and vis-versa.

Good luck!
Addiction is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 01:57 PM   #18
merlin4979
Breaker of nice things

Member # 10198
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkristie44 View Post
The only thing I wish I didn't do was get Bilsteins.
That's the first time I've heard of anyone not liking the Bilsteins...did you get the 5100's?
merlin4979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #19
Cod
Mall Crawl Champ!

Member # 10013
Garage
Can only speak for AEV...so far loving mine, going up or down exit ramps it never gives you that "you're losing control / flip / skid off the road feeling" i've had with some other lifts.

Cod is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #20
FireTrail741
JKO Addict!

Member # 17647
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKashat View Post
I have experience with 2 of the three mentioned. Teraflex and aev. I had installed a teraflex 2.5" spring kit with shock adapters originally on my 2010 jkur. I hated the ride for my daily driver so bad that I drove over to aev (local to me) and drove one of theirs with the 3.5" lift. Night and day. The aev rode better than stock. Made an appointment and had aev remove the teraflex and installed the aev 3.5" lift. I had the teraflex a total of about 2-3 weeks and the only thing that got me through it was knowing that rough riding lift was going to be off soon enough. Sold it for half what I paid and was happy.
Agreed! my 2.5" spring lift rides harsh on the road with their 9550 shocks. Going to change the shocks and see how it is after that.
FireTrail741 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #21
PIG
JKowners Vendor

Member # 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin4979 View Post
Not to toss another in the mix, but shouldn't the Poly Performance lift kits be included in this selection too? I've heard nothing but praise about their setups, and that they are as good as the three names listed in the OP.
Yea... Looks like the whole Synergy Suspension line was ignored
PIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #22
Snotty
Wheeler

Member # 18280
Its called research guys. Not because someone told me.

AEV is the lightest lift out there, with potentially more engenieering in thier product than anyone else that just bolts into the stock locations. AEV's kit has been well documented. Their kit adds zero unsprung weight, addresses the suspension and track bar geometery to maintain the "best link geometery" in the industry. I will agree that their drop brackets are questionable for a lift that is going to see a lot of time in the rocks. But really? We are going to bash the drop brackets but not bash the stock brackets that everyone else is tieing into?

AEV also uses the stock arms and bushings. Again, no addtional unsprung weight, the bust bushings to use to isolate road vibrations, etc. In my opinion, and based on the OP, this would most likely be the best kit for the OP's requirements.

Tera, is going to give the best of both worlds. I would toss several other vendors in here as well. DOM tube, Clevite and Speherical Rod Ends. More unsprung weight then AEV, but more durable arms. The geometery for the arms is now changed, not alot, but they are. The more the arms are moved from the horizontal plain, the more you start to experience greater suspension movement under normal driving conditions and the arms will want to move down and act as a lever with every bump. With the bushings that they use, you get a compromise between on and off road performance by maintaining some vibration isolation and increasing flex.

RK has the heaviest lift out and the least vibration charaterisitcs with the bushings that they have choosen to use. Potentially the best flexing kit out there right now. However, this is the heaviest suspension and larger portion of unsprung weight of any kit. All that leads to the worst On Road experience of any kit listed. Heavier control arms, with the geometry being changed by lifting and using the stock locations is going to allow the arms with every impact, a greater ability to push down and want to rotate the axle under instead of pushing into frame. And I still haven't addressed what the negative impacts that unsprung weight does to things like braking and steering and cornering. I would like to see the RK 4" kit go head to head in an On Road course with the AEV kit. Again, the AEV and On Road testing has been posted on here, and in many other places.

That being said, the RK kit will offer you (of the three listed) the best off road flex. Since the OP defined the experience he was looking for, I would suggest AEV. If they need a good compromise, I would look at more durable, but lighter suspension and make trades on both sides.

In order of upgradibilty as I have dug around, AEV has the least, Tera/Poly (for you Pig) and RK all seem to have a fair amount of upgradibility built into thier kits. But not everyone wants to continually upgrade crap and has no need to try and be the coolest of the cool and really just wants the best working solution for thier needs.

Maybe some of you forum jockeys might figure that out someday.
Snotty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 09:19 PM   #23
captjay
Granite Guru

Member # 15045
Old 01-07-2012, 09:55 PM   #24
TEXASKEV
Official Monkey Business

Member # 112
Garage
Quote:
Its called research guys. Not because someone told me.

Maybe some of you forum jockeys might figure that out someday.
Wow, new guy being a dick

The OP asked the question and guys are giving an opinion based on personal experience. That's kinda how fourms work.
08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.
My RK Long Arm Coilover Build Pics
Rock Krawler Suspensions
TEXASKEV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2012, 11:26 PM   #25
HeloJeff
Rock God

Member # 11201
Some people fall for marketing schemes way too easy. Listen to the people that have actual experience with the different lifts. I personally have the teraflex 2.5 coil kit and it rides great on road and flexes good offroad. A kit with a progressive rate spring will be smoother on the road with a decent shock
HeloJeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.