Skid Plates: Rock Hard vs. River Raider - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Modified JK Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #1
Gotlime?
JKO Addict!

Member # 16884
Skid Plates: Rock Hard vs. River Raider

I'm in the market for skids for my 08 JKU Rubicon.

Can anyone comment on these 2 systems?

Diferences in:

Weight?

Protection?

Ease of maintenance/fluid changes?

Ease of installation?

Durability?

Thanks!
Gotlime? is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2011, 08:30 PM   #2
PIG
JKowners Vendor

Member # 119
Yo, here is another option too!!! I have heard the Synergy fit & finish is bar none to alot of whats out there as far as skids go.

Synergy Skid Systems

PIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #3
DRIVEN1
Granite Guru

Member # 3294
WOW. Synergy was $1,800 for complete set with gas tank and powder coated. That seems pretty high? That is more than the River Raider complete set with gas tank.
Teraflex RockGuard Epic Front Bumper
Teraflex RockGuard Outback Rear Bumper
Teraflex RockGuard Spare Tire Carrier
LoD Signature Series Rock Sliders
XD Series Addict 17" Rims
35" BFG KM2 Mud Terrain Tires
J.E. Reel Front and Rear Drive Shafts
Poison Spyder "Special Edition" Bombshell Diff Covers & Evap Can Skid
3M Clear Bra and 80% Window Tint
JEEP PICS: http://photobucket.com/BradsRubicon
DRIVEN1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-21-2011, 09:57 PM   #4
highoctane
Rock God

Member # 4876
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN1 View Post
WOW. Synergy was $1,800 for complete set with gas tank and powder coated. That seems pretty high? That is more than the River Raider complete set with gas tank.
It's about double! Ouch.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Semper Fi
highoctane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 06:55 AM   #5
SoK66
JKO Addict!

Member # 4483
Synergy system is utterly bullet proof. You can lift the entire rig on the main skid. Without the tank skid it weighs about 100 lbs. Only negative with their full skid design is that it replaces the crossmember and to get at anything other than the front driveshaft you have to remove the entire thing, something of a regular PITA but doable.
SoK66 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 07:44 AM   #6
desert dog
JKO Addict!

Member # 7121
Garage
They all dent/smash in over time from prolonged hard use - all of them. They may be bulletproof, but none have been hammers-proof. So get whatever design you like, whats in your budget, or buy from a company you like dealing with.

I have gravitated back to the Rock hard skids because they are cheap, fit perfect, and those bolt sliders are a life saver for those of us who need to constantly remove plates to do mods. You will always beat on your trans skid the worst, so make sure you can easily remove that one to straighten out the dents. If you wheel extensively in the big rocks, consider trans skid plates an item that will need to be replaced every few years.

Poly and RR will probably provide the best customer service, that has been my experience.
desert dog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #7
abendx
JKO Addict!

Member # 6613
Rockhard for the only reason is that you won't have to buy their bolt sliders for whatever else you get.

Stay away from River Raider if you value your Jeep. His design SUCKS!!!!! Worst thing I have EVER seen sold for a Jeep, PERIOD! The design is such that if you put ANY weight on it from the bottom, you WILL crush your tranny pan. There is less that a 1/4" of clearance in the two that I have seen so far and they have a lip (sharp edge) that is what is just a cunt hair away from your tranny pan and the lip is UNDER the pan, not wide enough to clear. STUPID design!

BUT..... what DD stated is the truth. Every design out there is horrible. I have destroyed many sets of skids. They just can't hold up being so thin. I want to see a vendor come out with 1/4"+ skids with lots of cross stiffeners!
abendx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
LeftHandRubi
It never ends...

Member # 12795
I had rock hard on both my JKU's. I recently switched them out to TnT Customs Al armor.

The rock hards are a good product. Well made. Fit well. Protect well. Only drawback is weight.

TNT armor is really light weight but strong. Every bit of weight savings helps these jku's.

Here is a vid.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ij6tS...e_gdata_player

Last edited by LeftHandRubi; 11-22-2011 at 08:14 AM.
LeftHandRubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #9
REBEL OFFROAD
JKowners Vendor

Member # 8448
Out here we run Rock Hard skids since we play on the Hammers trails, Moab, and the Rubicon. One of the only designs out there that does not marry your oil pan skid plate to your frame. Systems that do that usually result in vibrations and bolts backing out since the engine cannot flex. Rock Hard ships powdercoated which helps keep customer costs down. The bolt head protectors are invaluable.

My typical skid plate package for customers:
Rock Hard gas tank, oil pan/transmission, transfer case skids
Poison Spyder Evap Skid (love the way it fully encases your evap canister)

We've installed Poly/Synergy skids - get system as well.
HQ: www.rebeloffroad.com
CONSULT. BUILD. DELIVER.
REBEL OFFROAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 10:37 AM   #10
crash
www.riverraider.com

Member # 1743
Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
Rockhard for the only reason is that you won't have to buy their bolt sliders for whatever else you get.

Stay away from River Raider if you value your Jeep. His design SUCKS!!!!! Worst thing I have EVER seen sold for a Jeep, PERIOD! The design is such that if you put ANY weight on it from the bottom, you WILL crush your tranny pan. There is less that a 1/4" of clearance in the two that I have seen so far and they have a lip (sharp edge) that is what is just a cunt hair away from your tranny pan and the lip is UNDER the pan, not wide enough to clear. STUPID design!

BUT..... what DD stated is the truth. Every design out there is horrible. I have destroyed many sets of skids. They just can't hold up being so thin. I want to see a vendor come out with 1/4"+ skids with lots of cross stiffeners!
We have sold thousands of set of skids for 3.8l 3.6l and Hemi jeeps. Our design holds up incredibly well. The issue with the tranny pan on the automatics has been resolved quite some time ago and is really a non an issue. However I know who you are and have spoken with you personally and I feel that your incredibly biased against our product as a result of us not giving you a deeper discount on the River Raider parts you requested.

If anyone has any questions about our skids we would be happy to help you by phone .....717 262 3079

crash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
REBEL OFFROAD
JKowners Vendor

Member # 8448
^^ BTW just want to say we are a proud dealer and supporter of River Raider.
HQ: www.rebeloffroad.com
CONSULT. BUILD. DELIVER.
REBEL OFFROAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #12
Chris85xlt
Rock God

Member # 4284
Quote:
Originally Posted by REBEL OFFROAD View Post
... Systems that do that usually result in vibrations and bolts backing out since the engine cannot flex...
I have the older RR skid plate and i have that issuse with vibs and bolts backing out between the oil skid and trans skid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
We have sold thousands of set of skids for 3.8l 3.6l and Hemi jeeps. Our design holds up incredibly well. The issue with the tranny pan on the automatics has been resolved quite some time ago and is really a non an issue. However I know who you are and have spoken with you personally and I feel that your incredibly biased against our product as a result of us not giving you a deeper discount on the River Raider parts you requested.

If anyone has any questions about our skids we would be happy to help you by phone .....717 262 3079

Crash- i noticed one of the pics shows the oil skid to the trans crossmember is now now one piece?
Old 11-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #13
jvandy50
V8 dreams

Member # 11593
Subscribed...I need some protection

Vandy

www.HIDprojectors.com

Last edited by jvandy50; 11-22-2011 at 01:35 PM.
jvandy50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 11:42 AM   #14
peanut
Rock God

Member # 4440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85xlt View Post
I have the older RR skid plate and i have that issuse with vibs and bolts backing out between the oil skid and trans skid.

Crash- i noticed one of the pics shows the oil skid to the trans crossmember is now now one piece?
I think that is for a Hemi....
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 12:35 PM   #15
crash
www.riverraider.com

Member # 1743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris85xlt View Post

Yes the Hemi and 3.6L oil pan and tranny skids are a one piece design that attaches to the frame and tranny cross member. The 3.8L is a two piece design. The three bolts that connect your gen 1 oil pan and tranny skid should use nylock nuts. If they are not I can send you new hardware. If you would like your oil pan and tranny updated to the current 3.8L design I would be happy to modify them for free. Feel free to pm or call.
crash is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 01:53 PM   #16
MicroMark
Wheeler

Member # 12421
I have the Rockhard oil pan/tranny skid on my '07. It has worked well for me but it rides very close to the exhaust crossover pipe. My exhaust would contact the skid when the engine was under load in reverse. I called them up and asked for their "shim plate" which goes between the crossmember and the skid. It effectively lowers the skid and solved my problem.
The only suggestion I could make would be for them to harden the bolt protectors. The protectors work, but every time I have to remove the skid I usually need to remove metal to get a socket onto the bolt head. I usually have to chisel the lips of the protectors. Granted, that's easier than removing broken bolts, but it would seem to me to be easy just to harden them so they don't mushroom so bad on the rocks.
MicroMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #17
abendx
JKO Addict!

Member # 6613
Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
Discount? I didn't ask for a discount, but neither did I ask you to gouge me. Attempting to raise your prices on me by 40% is a pretty dick move. Funny thing is I never talked to you after you gave me that inflated price and I asked around what others might have gotten it for, since the price seemed VERY high to me.

Easy solution, buy from someone else that isn't trying to fuck me.

As for this being solved "some time ago?" Your definition and mine might be a little different. I know someone that bought a set of your skids in the last three or four months.... he received this bad design you claim to have corrected "some time ago" and from my understanding, you gave him the run around when he called to inquire.

BUT.... that brings up a thought. All I had to do was take a .5 second look at the skid to see it would be a major headache.... you, doing this shit all day long couldn't figure that out and sold these in that configuration? Wow! Just putting one on the street with such an obviously bad design says a lot.

OP: Still.... the Rockhard is your best bet, if for only the inclusion of the bolt skids.
abendx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 06:56 AM   #18
BADGER
JKO Addict!

Member # 3621
I recommend the Poly skids. The fit, design, durability, and countersunk screws are awesome. The beating they take without deforming is insane. I've had my beefs with a few of Poly's products, and still do, but I can't say shit about their skids. They are bad ass.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:32 AM   #19
Co4Lo
www.Co4Lo.com

Member # 4935
FWIW, I've been using River Raider products since the beginning of their JK product line. I've always been very impressed with the quality and fit. And Kenny has always been a great dude to do business with.
Co4Lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #20
MattPM0000
Granite Guru

Member # 8809
Yeah, I've been running the RR full skid system since day one on my JKU. First time I took it out I slammed pretty hard straight on the tranny skid full force. One of those jaw drop, pause, look at everyone else and see their expression before I moved. And while it had some scratching and a little dent, it isn't rubbing the trans and I think it has held up well. Just my two cents.
Old 11-23-2011, 10:29 AM   #21
Rock Krawler Suspension
JKowners Vendor

Member # 4318
River Raider products integrate well with Rock Krawler products. We have tested alot of River Raider Products and they all worked well for us. So you know who gets our vote..

RK

The Originator of the Independent 3 Link System!
Rock Krawler Suspension is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 10:41 AM   #22
PIG
JKowners Vendor

Member # 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVEN1 View Post
There could be several reasons for this but the following is what I would suspect:
-Differences in materials (grade 50-A572 vrs regular hot rolled steel), ours are about 30% stronger and 25% less weight than everyone else using regular 1/4" plate).
-Difference in design... Our 3 piece design vrs most of the other 2 piece designs, we also replace the factory cross member (none of the other skid mfg's in this thread do that as far as I can tell.
-Level of margin we have to engineer into the finial product so that larger distributors will sell it.

If you are wanting to save a few bucks look at the unpainted version ($1055 COMPLETE) or look at using the regular tranny skid instead of the HD one that replaces the factory cross member ($805 COMPLETE).

Quote:
Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
It's about double! Ouch.
Do your homework. The Synergy skid stuff really isn't that much more if you are looking at the standard system and consider the other differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoK66 View Post
Synergy system is utterly bullet proof. You can lift the entire rig on the main skid. Without the tank skid it weighs about 100 lbs. Only negative with their full skid design is that it replaces the crossmember and to get at anything other than the front driveshaft you have to remove the entire thing, something of a regular PITA but doable.
Thanks for the kind words man! FYI, we do offer a skid system that reuses the factory cross member; its a bit less expensive and makes getting to the drive shaft components a bit easier. Click here for more info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
They all dent/smash in over time from prolonged hard use - all of them. They may be bulletproof, but none have been hammers-proof. So get whatever design you like, whats in your budget, or buy from a company you like dealing with.

Poly and RR will probably provide the best customer service, that has been my experience.
Yo dude, the Hammers is when we do 99% of our product testing! However, I would agree 100% with using a company you like to deal with and that offers good customer service/support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvandy50 View Post
Subscribed...I need some protection
As I suggested above... do your homework and make sure you are comparing apples to apples when looking at price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADGER View Post
I recommend the Poly skids. The fit, design, durability, and countersunk screws are awesome. The beating they take without deforming is insane. I've had my beefs with a few of Poly's products, and still do, but I can't say shit about their skids. They are bad ass.
Thanks for the kind word about the skids! I am interested in hearing/learning more about your "beefs". We want to make sure all of our customers (both Poly and Synergy) are 100% satisfied. Please PM me so I can help make things right for you.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:06 AM   #23
EAD Offroad
Alec W

Member # 15792
I don't know why anyone would want powdercoated skids if they plan on using them as designed. If ever there was a product that is best suited to rattle canning IMHO it's skids.
Old 11-23-2011, 11:20 AM   #24
Ben Hedrick
Rock God

Member # 1544
We are running River Raiders on our 2011 6.4L HEMI JK and couldn't be happier!

2010 6.1L SRT HEMI JK Unlimited Rubicon
2007 5.7L HEMI JK Unlimited Sahara
2002 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2003 6.4L Stroker HEMI Jeep AEV Brute
2005 4.0L Jeep AEV Brute
2014 3.6VVT JK Unlimited Rubicon eXpedition Jeep
www.BenHedrick.com
http://hedrickspeedsports.blogspot.com/
Ben Hedrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #25
PIG
JKowners Vendor

Member # 119
Quote:
Originally Posted by EAD Offroad View Post
I don't know why anyone would want powdercoated skids if they plan on using them as designed. If ever there was a product that is best suited to rattle canning IMHO it's skids.
Agreed. Sometimes you gotta give the people what they are asking for though, such was the case for us anyways...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.