RIPP 2012 3.6 Dyno Results - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Modified JK Tech Dept.

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 02:06 PM   #1
RIPPMODS
JKowners Vendor

Member # 95
RIPP 2012 3.6 Dyno Results

Ehh...

RIPP 2012 Jeep Wrangler 3.6L V6 Dyno Test - YouTube

Not to bad - same torque 30more rear wheel HP - but with boost it will be killer.

3.8 Stock produce:
  • 140whp -/+
  • 150ft/trq -/+

3.6vvt
  • 180whp -/+
  • 150ft/lbs -/+

Picture of Dyno sheets comparing an 08 3.8 auto on stock wheels and tires (4:10 Gears) with RIPP Headers AND a 2012 Rubi Auto with 4:10's stock

BLUE = 3.8 AUTO with Headers 4:10 gears
RED = 3.6 Auto Stock 4:10 gears

1st pic is HP/TRQ Together
2nd pic is just Trq
3rd pic is just HP

RIPPTECH
Attached Images

RIPPMODS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2011, 02:55 PM   #2
nootherride
JKO Addict!

Member # 11644
Hmm ya 40 more horses just isn't worth buying a "12 to me..can't wait to see what you do with it tho!
Black 2008 x ,Dana30 Aussie locker,Teraflex C gusset's 2.5 Pro comp coils,Adj Rancho Rs9000's JKS quick disconnects,Jks Adj trackbar, 35.13.50.15 Toyo MT's on 15x8 MB Razors, K&N intake,Superchips, Magnaflow muffler,Optima Red top, Poison spyder ricochet rock rails,Solid diff covers, front Mopar rock bumper chopped, HD D-rings,Xrc 8000 winch, HOGG cut fenders!Bedlined interior, 130 watt kc slimlites
nootherride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 02:59 PM   #3
86CJ-07Rubi
Granite Guru

Member # 16256
When I saw the title, I thought I was going to see a RIPP supercharger already on a 2012 with some dyno #'s. I thought "man those guys are quick". I was disappointed
86CJ-07Rubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 03:02 PM   #4
gold knight
JKO Addict!

Member # 1460
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86CJ-07Rubi View Post
When I saw the title, I thought I was going to see a RIPP supercharger already on a 2012 with some dyno #'s. I thought "man those guys are quick". I was disappointed
Patience, if there is a before, there will surely be an after very soon.
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
I count ten rounds on target for a moving vehicle in low light. How is this woman single?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think you just answered your own question.
gold knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 05:49 PM   #5
RIPPMODS
JKowners Vendor

Member # 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by nootherride View Post
Hmm ya 40 more horses just isn't worth buying a "12 to me..can't wait to see what you do with it tho!
Thank you -

The thing is the power down low and mid range is marginally better in the 3.6 - the trans thou is a perfect match. We would guess that a 3.8 with the 5spd would be a perfect match and many would complain less -

Over all combined with the other upgraded (interior and such) its a really nice upgrade to the 07-2010

RIPPTECH
Old 09-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #6
Goodysgotacuda
JKO Addict!

Member # 4538
Eh, not very impressed. 40hp without a doubt is nice, but some RIPP headers and a decent tune and the 3.8L would probably hold next to it just fine.
Old 09-21-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
spedly
Rock God

Member # 13091
Do you have the chart from the 3.8? Just curious to see what the curve looks like compared to the 3.6.
spedly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
GKR
Granite Guru

Member # 9118
Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPPMODS View Post
Thank you -

The thing is the power down low and mid range is marginally better in the 3.6 - the trans thou is a perfect match. We would guess that a 3.8 with the 5spd would be a perfect match and many would complain less -

Over all combined with the other upgraded (interior and such) its a really nice upgrade to the 07-2010

RIPPTECH
I've wondered the same thing. This 4 speed auto is one step above worthless (IMHO) and I find myself shifting it manually about half the time. And don't get me started on the lockup programming.......

rant over....sorry
GKR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 10:24 PM   #9
09rubicon
JKO Addict!

Member # 6979
So who is going to do the tranny conversion kit so I can put the 5speed slush box in my '11?

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
09rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2011, 11:02 PM   #10
highoctane
Rock God

Member # 4876
28.6% increase in power is pretty damn good. RIPP headers are what, 28rwhp? I think the penstar would give a modded 3.8 a run for it's money.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk

Semper Fi
highoctane is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 02:37 AM   #11
pearl-drum-man
Lean, mean, drumming machine

Member # 5969
Garage
After seeing the chart posted by JP Mag comparing the 3.6L to 3.8L I was a bit surprised to see that below 3000 rpms the gains are marginal, the big jolt in power came at the very high end. Which explains why in my around town test drive of the 2012 Rubi I did didn't really blow me away like I had hoped. The steeper 1st gear of the 5spd vs the 4spd probably accounts for a lot of the improvement on the low end, more than the engine. To RIPP's point, the 5spd with the 3.8L would probably be a very liveable combo.
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
pearl-drum-man is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 02:38 AM   #12
Goodysgotacuda
JKO Addict!

Member # 4538
Quote:
Originally Posted by highoctane View Post
28.6% increase in power is pretty damn good. RIPP headers are what, 28rwhp? I think the penstar would give a modded 3.8 a run for it's money.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
Yea and bump to 200rwtq 600rpm sooner than factory with the 3.8L RIPP headers. I'm sure the 3.6L would still be very comparable with the VVT, however I MUCH rather spend $1600 on a set of headers which would make me content over some that claim to be buying new rigs just for the engine. If the gains are below 3,000rpm..they wouldn't do me a whole lot of good the way mine is geared right now. I'd say 90% of my driving is below 3,000rpm..which is also where those headers would do me some good.

Unfortunately they aren't in the budget anytime soon
Old 09-22-2011, 07:10 AM   #13
RIPPMODS
JKowners Vendor

Member # 95
Correct boys and girls - see this video demo of the Header/RIPP tune - Keeping in mind that this is a glory pass all cooled down for maximum HP number - it dropps down to 170ish HP and the torque dropped down to 200 -

We haven't had a chance to have another NA JK before and after come through the dyno yet - But clients input has backed this bolts on power.

RIPP JK Auto Header Test 2 35" Tires 4:88 Gears 230ft/lbs Trq 183 Rear Wheel HP - YouTube
Old 09-22-2011, 05:52 PM   #14
d'sjk
JKO Addict!

Member # 5640
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09rubicon View Post
So who is going to do the tranny conversion kit so I can put the 5speed slush box in my '11?

d'sjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 07:41 PM   #15
sburggsx

Member # 7190
Quote:
I've been wondering why this was never a question, or what it would take. How hard could it be?
sburggsx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 04:02 AM   #16
Goodysgotacuda
JKO Addict!

Member # 4538
Quote:
Originally Posted by sburggsx View Post
I've been wondering why this was never a question, or what it would take. How hard could it be?
Probably software problems more than anything. Then the bellhousing/flexplate bolt up may not even exist on top of that.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:08 AM   #17
09rubicon
JKO Addict!

Member # 6979
Quote:
Originally Posted by sburggsx View Post
Probably not overly difficult......$$$$ is the question.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Probably software problems more than anything. Then the bellhousing/flexplate bolt up may not even exist on top of that.
I see two solutions to this.

First since it is a computer controled trany someone needs to find a way to dump the 5speed program into the 3.8 computer. Challenging yes, but I think it could be done (diablo, RIPP??).

Second, the flex plate/bell housing. Places like Advanced Adapters make a living off these types of mods. I am willing to bet that if someone solved the programming issue they could have a mechanical kit out in under 6 months.

Here is my idea.

1. Replace 3.8 Auto computer with manual computer.

2. Stand alone trany computer for 5speed.

3. Adapter kit for new tranny.

4. Actually be able to use the 3.8 and live with it for 200k miles!

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.

Last edited by 09rubicon; 09-23-2011 at 10:12 AM.
09rubicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 10:50 AM   #18
RIPPMODS
JKowners Vendor

Member # 95
Quote:
Probably not overly difficult......$$$$ is the question.

I see two solutions to this.

First since it is a computer controled trany someone needs to find a way to dump the 5speed program into the 3.8 computer. Challenging yes, but I think it could be done (diablo, RIPP??).

Second, the flex plate/bell housing. Places like Advanced Adapters make a living off these types of mods. I am willing to bet that if someone solved the programming issue they could have a mechanical kit out in under 6 months.

Here is my idea.

1. Replace 3.8 Auto computer with manual computer.

2. Stand alone trany computer for 5speed.

3. Adapter kit for new tranny.

4. Actually be able to use the 3.8 and live with it for 200k miles!
Nice - but hardly worth that much effort - a supercharged JK with proper gears drives fine in our book - The 3.6 trans hardly feels 100% better - maybe 55-65% tops - Just our worthless pennies on the topic...

Lets get a supercharger hung on it see where she goes - if its awesome we'll make sure to make you all aware of it ---

RIPPTECH
Old 09-23-2011, 11:48 AM   #19
spedly
Rock God

Member # 13091
Just based on those dyno charts I'd rather have the 3.8. The huge torqe advantage in the 2500-4000rpm range would be much nicer to have then the few extra hp above 5500rpm's. My jeep has seen 5000rpms maybe once, but it sees 2500-4000 every day.
spedly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-23-2011, 12:05 PM   #20
oz97tj
JKO Addict!

Member # 3528
Dynos only really show half the issue though. As stated the tranny makes a big difference. However, I went from a manual 09 to an auto 12 and it really does pull sooooo much better. Things like the throttle response seem to just feel better without all the lag that was in the 3.8. I had a Superchips on my 3.8 too and the 12 still feels way better.

Then there is the issue that the Pentastar was designed to easily accept direct injection and turbo charging so I'm thinking once Ripp puts turbo on a 3.6 it should really wake up the motor even more. I can't afford a kit any time soon, but I really want one.

Just a thought. If a blown 3.8 makes the power of a stock Hemi, then a blown 3.6 with similar gains should easily make more. Hows a 400 hp 3.6 sound?
Old 09-24-2011, 05:06 AM   #21
BADGER
JKO Addict!

Member # 3621
These results say one of two things to me, maybe both....

There is a veritable shitload of parasitic driveline loss in both vehicles but especially the 3.6. No wonder the mileage still sucks ass (that, and the 4500 brick attached to the top of it).

- and / or -

Chrysler was very liberal indeed in its ratings on the new Pentastar. And I wouldn't be the first to suspect it, a whole slew of the automotive press has said their butt dynos tell them that it's not putting down the numbers Chrysler suggests.

I hop like hell they put the new ZF 8-speeds into the Wrangler. Less loss, more perceived power, genuinely better gas mileage....and a couple of seriously low gears to crawl in!
Old 09-30-2011, 02:36 PM   #22
Warrior Products
Granite Guru

Member # 13294
HP/TQ numbers aside...that is a much nicer power curve across the board, versus the 3.8's little spike then fall on its face method.

Questions? Comments? Let us know
(888) 220-6861
email us
Warrior Products is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 02:38 PM   #23
Goodysgotacuda
JKO Addict!

Member # 4538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior Products View Post
HP/TQ numbers aside...that is a much nicer power curve across the board, versus the 3.8's little spike then fall on its face method.
Yep, VVT for ya.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:54 PM   #24
ThinkMud
Granite Guru

Member # 7453
The numbers don't look great, but I can tell you first hand that the new 3.6 it night and day difference!! Full armor and 35"s with stock 4.10 gears and I can pass people up hill on the interstate now doing over 70 with out down shifting. 6th gear up hill lifted with stock gears could never happen in my last 3 JK's.

Gas mileage, I'm getting about 15 around town, and my last Few Jk's lifted only got about 12. And highway now I'm still about 17 to 19.

So yeah these numbers seem a little off to me.

-Semper Fi-
ThinkMud is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-30-2011, 03:12 PM   #25
DustjunkieScott
Granite Guru

Member # 17498
I never owned a 3.8 but did drive a few of them on the highway and around town. I wanted one but couldn't see myself owning one......... then the 3.6 came out. I said why not. I bought a 12' with an auto and I am happy with it. Will it be better with some aftermarket support? Sure. I think like some of you are saying, the 5 speed is the biggest difference on the highway.
DustjunkieScott is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.