Nerf Bars/Step Bars - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Community > JK General Discussion

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Mad_World
Wheeler

Member # 17328
Nerf Bars/Step Bars

Hey guys/girls,
I'm hoping to be picking up my new 2012 JK 2dr in a month or so (just ordered it on 9/15/11), first thing I'll need to do is install some bars for the wife so she can climb in and out.
We've been going back and forth on the side bars and since its going to be her Jeep I had to let her pick what she wants. I would of gone for the ACE, Poison Spyder, or LOD sliders but she wants something she can step on easily and not worry about putting her foot through a opening, or having to step up to far to reach the top of the bar.
In short she wants what I put on her TJ, nerf bars.

So here I am asking you fellow Jeepers if anyone knows of a good nerf bar that I can install on her JK 2 door.

I just have 1 requirement, the bars must attach to the body mounts or to the frame, not to the pinch seam.

I plan on taking these things off once we do some mods (lift,tires,gears...) and then I'll be putting on the sliders like I want and have her use a stirrup or detachable step, hence the reason I don't want it to attach to the pinch seam, less holes in it.

Of course I don't want some paper thin bars that'll get dinged up in a parking lot nor do I want to spend some serious cash on bars that I'll remove in a few years.

Thanks
Fourth Jeep 2012 JK Sport S 2dr auto, 3.73 gears, limited slip (wifes again)
Mad_World is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #2
JKsport
Rock God

Member # 10566
Congrats on the new purchase! What are the specs on it? And I'm assuming you didn't pick up factory steps? Why not just search the for sale section or craigslist etc. Pick up a used set cheap and you know they mount right to the body. Youll be taking em off anyways
Old 09-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
Mad_World
Wheeler

Member # 17328
Its the 4th jeep in my sig.
The side steps and bars that they offered from the factory she didn't like. Don't ask me why since the bars looked so close to what she wants and they'll be on it for her when we pick it up.
But hey this just means I'll get to drive it for a few days until I (Ahem) find all my tools to put them on.
She doesn't know yet that when we start working on it that I'll be replacing the bars. I know her well enough that if I start now pointing out how they will hinder the capabilities of the Jeep on the rocks she'll decide to get rid of them by the time we start the build up.
Old 09-19-2011, 08:03 PM   #4
TEXASKEV
Official Monkey Business

Member # 112
Garage
I run the Warrior with the removable step. They have held up for 3 years with no issues. Comes in 2 and 4 door versions and the price isn't bad.

I'll be bumping to full on sliders when I find a set with a removable step that I like.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/13042_7210_07.htm

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.
My RK Long Arm Coilover Build Pics
Rock Krawler Suspensions
TEXASKEV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
JKsport
Rock God

Member # 10566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_World View Post
Its the 4th jeep in my sig.
The side steps and bars that they offered from the factory she didn't like. Don't ask me why since the bars looked so close to what she wants and they'll be on it for her when we pick it up.But hey this just means I'll get to drive it for a few days until I (Ahem) find all my tools to put them on.
She doesn't know yet that when we start working on it that I'll be replacing the bars. I know her well enough that if I start now pointing out how they will hinder the capabilities of the Jeep on the rocks she'll decide to get rid of them by the time we start the build up.
So it will already have bars on when you pick it up? Yea they suck for protection but if she jsut wants a step and doesn't want her foot to slip through...seems like alternatives will be a much skinnier surface area and we all know wet shoes slip off easily. So what kind exactly does she want then?
Old 09-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #6
josh_jacklyn
Rock God

Member # 9010
went thru the same thing you're going thru and i went with the rugged ridge
3" tube steps. they're not solid rock rails but they do what she wanted them for and that's for a step. i was hoping to bash the shit out of them when we were in moab, but never got to.. always next year. oh and they just mount to the body. instal was a piece of cake and a few beers...
Attached Images

CALL MARCUS.. NUFF' SAID..
josh_jacklyn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2011, 01:14 PM   #7
Mad_World
Wheeler

Member # 17328
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsport View Post
So it will already have bars on when you pick it up?
Nope, she didn't like any of the ones offered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKsport View Post
So what kind exactly does she want then?
This is real similar to what she has on her TJ now

So of course this is what she wants again, but in black this time.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:19 PM   #8
Mad_World
Wheeler

Member # 17328
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_jacklyn View Post
went thru the same thing you're going thru and i went with the rugged ridge
3" tube steps. they're not solid rock rails but they do what she wanted them for and that's for a step.
That looks like ones she would like. When I went to rugged ridge site I just seen the tubes that go straight across, not bend in like yours look like they do.
Got any more pics of the Jeep with them on?
Old 09-20-2011, 01:20 PM   #9
JKsport
Rock God

Member # 10566
Gocha. Seems to be almost identical to the tubular OEM ones offered just without the cutout for the step.
Old 09-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #10
Mad_World
Wheeler

Member # 17328
The ones we were shown at the dealer went straight across and didn't bend in like she wants.
Gives it a "more rugged" look when they bend in
Old 09-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #11
JKsport
Rock God

Member # 10566
Haha I gocha.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #12
derfc
Granite Guru

Member # 14883
Quote:
The ones we were shown at the dealer went straight across and didn't bend in like she wants.
Gives it a "more rugged" look when they bend in
I've got the Westin E-series step bars on my JKU for the same reason... My wife liked the nerf bars that I had on my old pickup & wanted the same for the Jeep.

Anyways, they've been on it for almost a year now and still look great. The 2-door version can be had for ~$150 on Amazon (p/n 23-3315).

derfc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2011, 02:40 PM   #13
Mad_World
Wheeler

Member # 17328
Thanks everyone for the ideas.
When I had the wife looking at a the ones you all pointed out she seen some in the "You May Also Be Interested In:" section and said "I want those".

I found them for cheap at 4WD
They are Rampage 2" Sport Bar with Stirrup Step.
They sure are different and that's what she likes.
Thanks again.
Old 06-18-2012, 06:07 AM   #14
JKcreeper
Wheeler

Member # 11729
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the ideas.
When I had the wife looking at a the ones you all pointed out she seen some in the "You May Also Be Interested In:" section and said "I want those".

I found them for cheap at 4WD
They are Rampage 2" Sport Bar with Stirrup Step.
They sure are different and that's what she likes.
Thanks again.
I know this is an old thread.. but, I wanted to for the link. This weekend's fishing trip with my 9yr. old niece and wife found that I needed side steps on the Jeep.. This would've been perfect .. ordered them just now for next time.
JKcreeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-18-2012, 07:30 AM   #15
kkuntz01
Rock God

Member # 8097
As much as it kills me to recommend them, for something that functions as a step and will provide protection without having to worry about destroying them with a day on the trail. The LoD sliders would be a great option.

They stick out far enough from the body and have an actual platform that you can step on unlike PSC or the ACE sliders. Unless you plan on doing a body lift, there is not much of a chance you're going to get caught between the step/slider and the body.

These were the ones I had on my old 4dr. I "think" the 2dr sliders will be very similar/same to about the end of the front door, though you'll have to double check that.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #16
Mad_World
Wheeler

Member # 17328
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKcreeper View Post
I know this is an old thread.. but, I wanted to for the link. This weekend's fishing trip with my 9yr. old niece and wife found that I needed side steps on the Jeep.. This would've been perfect .. ordered them just now for next time.
I do have an update on these bars/steps.
So far after close to 10 months of them being on we have had no problems with them. Granted we haven't taken it off road or even got to seen crazy parking lot action with it.
The paint is holding up and my fat ass hasn't twisted them when I step on them.
They do hang down a little but then again that's one reason my (short) wife wanted them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.