"The Black Box" Makes wiring accessories easier than ever! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > Approved Vendor's Showcase > Vendor's Marketplace

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Djstorm100
Granite Guru

Member # 16161
"The Black Box" Makes wiring accessories easier than ever!

UPDATE: Black box video info and Install videos!!!

Visit my Youtube Channel where I'll have up coming videos of in cab winch controls and more! -http://www.youtube.com/user/Hyperwir...?feature=watch

Black Box Jk Wrangler Install Part 1 - YouTube Install part 1

Black Box Jk Wrangler Install Part 1 - YouTube Install Part 2

JK Owners over view of Black Box - YouTube Product info for 2012'

2012's Install12' Wrangler Black Box Install - YouTube

This is "The Black Box" It is a small in size but packs a huge punch! Inside is 5 relays that can power anything up to 35 amps. I design this system to help people wire up extra accessories like lights, CB, Air compressors without worrying if they installed it correctly. One of the awesome things about this system is that you can use the the stock OEM wiring harness to trigger the relay on/off!!! Like all systems on the market there is a little wiring you will have to do but the instructions make it a breeze!!

Price for these are $215 shipped 07-11 and $235 Shipped for 2012 shipped (bracket included). Also if you have more than 5 accessories I can wire it to accept as mean as you need!!
If you need to use your OEM switches to turn on lights (fog light switch to turn on another pair of lights with your fog lights, my system can do this as well. I need to know during purchasing though!)

Here is a custom kit that I've made for another member on the board. He has Cb, seat warmers (pass and driver), Compressor, LED lights, KC lights, Back Up Camera, Washer Pump.

Benefits for using this system are:
  1. ITS CHEAPER than anything on the market, but still built incredibly tough!
  2. Can use the OEM harness to trigger the relays on/off. It is the only Wiring Harness that can do this on the market!
  3. It comes ready to install!
  4. Can be place anywhere in the jeep if not using it on a JK, or if the customer wants to place the box else where.
  5. It is expandable, It has 10 power fused slots, 5 of which are used for relays. So there are 5 extra slots to tap in to power for (like using a CB or for power to another relay)
  6. Small in size. It is little bigger than a Iphone. 3.39 Inches by 4.44 Inches.
  7. It can handle 80 amps current VS the competition only being able to handle 50 amps. That could be extra lights used to help in a emergency while on the trials
  8. Most Importantly everything is fused. Main feed line, The Relays, Trigger wires.
  9. Very Water Resistant so if you go through the mud or water hole you will not have to worry about damaging the box or components inside or around it.
  10. Install is Incredibly easy. It took me 1.5 hour to install in a friends Jeep

Here is a what you get
  1. The Black Box
  2. 8 Gauge wire that is fused with 80amp fuse
  3. Brackets for install
  4. 12 feet of trigger wire (this wire is what connects to your toggle/rocker switch)
  5. 10 Feet of power wire. There are 3 12gauge wire for items that take most amps. Like air compressor. There are 2 14guage

Everything needed to install the kit just add power and ground from you accessory and GO!

Finally Installed!!!

Before and after

[IMG]ht
Notice the amount take up on the wire loom as well as the "rats" next on the battery terminals.
tp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v512/Djstorm100/Jeep%20Wiring%20Harness/DSCN0486-Copy.jpg[/IMG]

I can also add in weatherpack connections
If you ever had to take off a light, bumper, any extra accessory you can simply un-clip the connection versus having to cut and then later reconnect everything.

These are the switches I sell, they are fully sealed! $11.50.

Also sell relay connectors as well $7

I have 5 ready to be shipped!!
Price for these are $220 shipped. Also if you have more than 5 accessories I can wire it to accept as mean as you need!!
Djstorm100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2011, 03:08 PM   #2
Djstorm100
Granite Guru

Member # 16161
Install Is easy and simple.

1st: Disconnect the battery and remove the ground wire here (10mm)

2nd: Un-clip the Evap purge Solenoid

3rd: Un-clip the 4 tabs that hold the fuse box in and lift out of the way.

4th: Remove the battery hold down bolt (10mm)

5th: Place the fuse box with the wire pointing toward the passenger side fender. Then place the bracket that is facing toward the front under the large wire loom that comes from the fuse box. Finally place the rear mounted bracket on top of the battery hold down and place the bolt through that. Give the bolt a couple of turns but don’t completely tighten.

6: Run the wire loom along with the wire that said “HOT” in to the cabin to where you would like the switches to mount at. The hot wire is to power the switches and it’s on to “Daisy Chain” the switches for power as they pull less than 1 amp. Wire up the switches accordingly to the manufacture of your switch.

7: Next take the bundle of wires and route them away from moving parts and heat. Connect the lead to the accessory you are trying to power. You will have to supply a ground for the other side of the accessory

8: Connect the Red 8 gauge wire and fuse to the positive side of the battery and then connect the small black wire to the negative side of the terminal.

9: Turn the switch on and enjoy your “Black Box”
Old 08-16-2011, 03:20 PM   #3
Dancin Dan
Banned

Member # 3812
He is not amused...

Dancin Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
Djstorm100
Granite Guru

Member # 16161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
Haha, I was waiting for some one to post that. Glad this forum has a sense of Humor !
Old 08-16-2011, 03:42 PM   #5
rob4607
JKO Addict!

Member # 4052
How does it get along with the can bus? I'm running the cebie set up from Daniel Stern and in discussion with him to build me a custom harness. I want my high beam to trigger all of my forward facing lights. To do this properly you have to mess with capacitors and diodes to keep the relays from chattering. Maybe my need is different than what this is for, ie the extra switches. Just curious.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...
rob4607 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2011, 03:49 PM   #6
Djstorm100
Granite Guru

Member # 16161
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
How does it get along with the can bus? I'm running the cebie set up from Daniel Stern and in discussion with him to build me a custom harness. I want my high beam to trigger all of my forward facing lights. To do this properly you have to mess with capacitors and diodes to keep the relays from chattering. Maybe my need is different than what this is for, ie the extra switches. Just curious.
I've built this system to be standalone and not even in anyway be linked to the can-bus system but I'll see what I can come up with as far as using the headlights to turn the relays on.

Thanks for you interest!
Old 08-16-2011, 04:28 PM   #7
rob4607
JKO Addict!

Member # 4052
Cool, also are the switches sending a ground or hot? I'm a fan of extra ground wires and not hot wires floating around, specially un fused at the source under the dash.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...
Old 08-16-2011, 07:07 PM   #8
Djstorm100
Granite Guru

Member # 16161
Quote:
Cool, also are the switches sending a ground or hot? I'm a fan of extra ground wires and not hot wires floating around, specially un fused at the source under the dash.

That's the beauty of this system.
It can be set up both ways if the customer tells me how they want it. I have mine so that they only turn on when they key is in the on position.

Given the thickness of the wire coating I know it will never eat through it, even more so that the "hot wire" is in another expandable sleeve coating. My kits come with a single hot wire to supply power to the switches as it is easier and cheaper to make. Since its cheaper I can pass on those savings to you the customer.

The wire is use is wire that is used in OEM applications GXL wire. I like the thick coating that doesn't effect flexibility

I've been running this system in my jeep for about 4 months and put it through the test even overload (120 amps test) to see what exactly would happen if the user did not use the fuse. Its a simple design that is way cheaper than the competition and etc. yes it is a little more involved but not my much.

Please if anyone has any questions please feel free to PM, Email me, or post in the thread!!
Old 08-17-2011, 09:29 PM   #9
Djstorm100
Granite Guru

Member # 16161
Bump, Looking for testers for feedback
Old 08-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #10
DTJK
Rock God

Member # 7175
I suck at electrical and I'll be the first to ask stupid questions. What are all those colorful wires for? Could this be used with ARB compressor and lockers?
DTJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2011, 10:50 PM   #11
GRIZZLY47
Rock God

Member # 12618
so its like a sPOD?
Old 08-17-2011, 10:51 PM   #12
BumpInTheRoad
Rock God

Member # 9148
If I understand your post, this kit includes the relay/fuse panel, enclosure and wiring. You need to decide on where and how to mount the switches in the cabin, right? It's an interesting product and priced right.

I would like to see it done with caps and diodes across the relay coil to make it easy to tap into the OEM bus for triggering. That way you could do things like replace the stock headlight harness, tap into the high/low-beam power line to feed switches for fog/driving lights (many states only allow aux lights to function with low beams, some prefer certain lights to work in certain combinations).

I might buy one to replace my existing setup. Not that anything's wrong with it, this just looks cleaner. Unfortunately, time and money works against me right now.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:37 AM   #13
Cbass122
Granite Guru

Member # 12940
I have the Bussmann fuse box ("Mythical Black Box") installed and it is great. I did not buy it from OP but it is the same product and it does what it is advertised to do. I paid a few bucks more truth be told. A great alternative to Spod or others that are considerably more expensive though. It can be configured to switch w/ ground or many other variations are possible. The kit can be put together cheaper but you should have the Metripak crimper (150$+) and the removal tool for when you ef it up on your first try. In the end for me with the wire, resistors, fuses and everything else this is a really good price and not worth my time to screw around with sourcing the parts and time it takes to put it together. Very versatile little box.

I have mine mounted slightly different but in the same area. Right now I am running front lights, rear lights, and powering my CB radio off this little guy. I added a fuse block to distribute and protect everything but it was not really necessary, I am just anal that is all. I still have room for anything I could ever want to add to the Jeep like rock lights, compressor, etc etc.

Last edited by Cbass122; 08-18-2011 at 12:39 AM.
Cbass122 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 03:48 PM   #14
Djstorm100
Granite Guru

Member # 16161
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTJK View Post
I suck at electrical and I'll be the first to ask stupid questions. What are all those colorful wires for? Could this be used with ARB compressor and lockers?
Yes it sure can!!

Bundle of wires (green, purple, white, blue, green) are the wires that are connected to your accessories to give them power.

I'm in the process now to see what is exactly is need to make the factory wiring harness work with mine, so customers can use the high/low beams to trigger their lights.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #15
rob4607
JKO Addict!

Member # 4052
You get the light thing nailed down and I'll order one and sell the 177$ custom Daniel stern harness I paid for yesterday. Shit happens but if you can make it work how I need it too it will offer more potential and will be worth the loss of What I loose reselling the stern kit. Figure it out, pm me, paypal...
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift

Old 08-18-2011, 04:20 PM   #16
Goodysgotacuda
JKO Addict!

Member # 4538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
I've built this system to be standalone and not even in anyway be linked to the can-bus system but I'll see what I can come up with as far as using the headlights to turn the relays on.

Thanks for you interest!
I don't believe you will need a capacitor/diode to feed from the high beam circuit. The low beam circuit is pulse width modulated and gives problems with relays. I wouldn't say that is a fact, but I am pretty sure..
Old 08-18-2011, 05:27 PM   #17
Fnord5
JKO Addict!

Member # 9228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djstorm100 View Post
Bump, Looking for testers for feedback
I'll bite.
What do you need from me?
Fnord5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 05:31 PM   #18
Co4Lo
www.Co4Lo.com

Member # 4935
I would like one.
Co4Lo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2011, 09:03 PM   #19
andrelopez99
JKO Addict!

Member # 5329
are the relays and some of the fuses wired together? I would like to mount mine in the glove box area.. I have the switch panel already..
Old 08-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #20
Fixerupper
Wheeler

Member # 11958
I'll take one.
Fixerupper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #21
rob4607
JKO Addict!

Member # 4052
Get anywhere on figuring it out?
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift

Old 08-20-2011, 01:46 AM   #22
Djstorm100
Granite Guru

Member # 16161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnord5 View Post
I'll bite.
What do you need from me?
I'll Pm you later Sunday, I'm going out on a trail ride later today with a few jeep guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Co4Lo View Post
I would like one.
PM your setup please

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrelopez99 View Post
are the relays and some of the fuses wired together? I would like to mount mine in the glove box area.. I have the switch panel already..
The panel has 10 fuse, 5 are for the relays. So you could have five other wires coming out to power 5 other items that are lower amps (below 20 amps)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fixerupper View Post
I'll take one.
PM me your setup and what you are trying to power.

Quote:
Get anywhere on figuring it out?
I'm in the process now of figuring out the right caps and resistors for it.

Thank you for your interest guys!
Old 08-20-2011, 06:45 AM   #23
2 JEEP
Wheeler

Member # 11802
I would like to order one as well.

Would it be possible to get this as a "non terminated kit" that can be configured (relay, fuse, +, or - switch leg) as I add devices to the system?
2 JEEP is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #24
Djstorm100
Granite Guru

Member # 16161
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 JEEP View Post
I would like to order one as well.

Would it be possible to get this as a "non terminated kit" that can be configured (relay, fuse, +, or - switch leg) as I add devices to the system?
Sent you a PM bud!
Thanks
Dustin
Old 08-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #25
Djstorm100
Granite Guru

Member # 16161
Parts are order to be able to trigger the relays by high/low beams. Testing will start in the middle of the week!

If you would like one I have paypal set up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.