Can't pass inspection in WV =( Emailed legislature =) - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Community > JK General Discussion

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2011, 07:01 PM   #1
chainboy1
Granite Guru

Member # 4918
Can't pass inspection in WV =( Emailed legislature =)

Here is my original email to some of the local legislators and one of their replies.....

Hello Fellow West Virginians,

I moved up here last summer for my job and love it up here and plan on staying here. Due to one of my hobbies and this states laws, I am ready to move out of WV. I enjoy the sport of off roading and currently own a 2008 Jeep Wrangler. It has a small lift (only 2 inches) and the tires are slightly over the stock size (but they stick out about 1 inch past the fenders), and because of this I can’t pass WV’s state inspection. Of course my vehicle has 36k miles on it and is in better shape than half of the vehicles on the road here but I can’t legally drive it. I am also told I can drive a Honda, put 12” tires on it and drop it so that it is ½” off of the ground but that is ok and wouldn’t even require a modified inspection. I have already done some things to try and make it pass but I am still having problems. I am ready to either sell my Jeep and tell WV they will no longer get my tax money for my most expensive vehicle once a year, drive illegally anyways, or just move. I can already say the move is coming regardless, but with this going on it may be sooner than later. I understand certain things need to be done to keep people safe but when I am driving a Jeep that is barely modified and not much bigger than it was stock, it’s just ridiculous. I may not think much of your state, but I think it would be wise to change legislation to not be so harsh towards modified vehicles lest you drive more people away with stupid laws. Speaking of stupid laws I also enjoy riding my bike, the bike I can ride without a helmet but by law I need a bell or a horn on it. I am sure this will fall on deaf ears as you are politicians and we all know most politicians are smart but fail when it comes to common sense. Sorry, just a rant from a little guy that doesn’t matter that’s currently a little frustrated. Have a good day.

Roger Horton

Mr. Horton:

Thanks for your vote of confidence with us politicians. Our laws are established not only for your safety but to keep us (the traveling public who share the road with you) safe as well. It's funny you bring up the bicycle helmet topic because I am looking into a helmet law as well (I understand we can not legislate common sense, but we can legislate safety). Hate to lose you as a resident just because of our safety laws, but that is your choice.

Have a good day.

Best Regards,
Senator Orphy Klempa
District 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-02-2011, 07:02 PM   #2
chainboy1
Granite Guru

Member # 4918
My reply I just sent off....... =)

Hello Orphy,

I appreciate the reply. Nice to know someone actually reads this stuff. Sorry but I don't have a lot of confidence in politicians. It's not a jab at you personally, just politicians in general. This bout with the "debt crisis" in D.C. is jsut another example of how politicians are out of touch with reality and the common man. I understand legislation with the goal of safety in mind. I agree with that and won't argue with that at all. I do however argue that the only thing being kept safe by mud flaps on the front of my vehicle is my door handles. I see a car drive around town dropped to the ground with small wheels sticking out from the car 3-4" on each side but by law they don't have to get a modified inspection, so they are fine. They might as well ride around in an open wheel car. Put a 1/2" lift on a vehicle though and now you have to go through all kinds of hoops to drive on the road. I also argue that WV has no problem taxing me on my most expensive vehicle but it's ok to take those taxes out on a vehicle that can't legally drive on your roads. Concerning the bike helmet law I do support that and I encourage you to keep working on that. Again thanks for writing and have a good day.

Roger

P.S. I have decided to be done with the trouble and sell the Jeep. Maybe I will use the money to buy a classic muscle car. We all know a 40 year old 2 ton car with lots of power and no power steering or anti lock brakes would be much safer than my Jeep. At least I can pass inspection and legally drive it here.
Old 08-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #3
Goodysgotacuda
JKO Addict!

Member # 4538
What are they giving you crap about? The lift, tires, or both?
Old 08-02-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
chainboy1
Granite Guru

Member # 4918
Both.....if it has any kind of lift it has to have mud flaps for the front and back. They also don't like the tires sticking out 1" part the flares. The stubby is a big no no too. I have taken care of everything and have my 4th inspection set for next week. Just seems like every time I go in they point out something else they didn't point out last time.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:56 AM   #5
SulVento
Do I look serious?

Member # 11261
Garage
Move to Florida.

We don't give a shit about vehicle inspections.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:00 AM   #6
Goodysgotacuda
JKO Addict!

Member # 4538
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainboy1 View Post
Both.....if it has any kind of lift it has to have mud flaps for the front and back. They also don't like the tires sticking out 1" part the flares. The stubby is a big no no too. I have taken care of everything and have my 4th inspection set for next week. Just seems like every time I go in they point out something else they didn't point out last time.
Damn, I'd start looking to see what it takes to register somewhere else
Old 08-03-2011, 05:23 AM   #7
JK Mountain
Rock God

Member # 15993
Quote:
Originally Posted by SulVento View Post
Move to Florida.

We don't give a shit about vehicle inspections.

X2, I see people down here with out tags!
JK Mountain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 05:24 AM   #8
sixty5vdub
Bluebicon!

Member # 6396
You live in a place named "Wheeling", and they are busting your balls about your Jeep? Seems ironic.........

Get some extended fender flares (Bushwacker, etc).
Make some home-made, 'temporary' mud flaps that can be bolted and unbolted to the fender flares easily.
Find a take-off front bumper to use for inspection purposes. Only 8 bolts and 15 minutes to swap them out.

Or, drive over to Pennsylvania and buy a plot of land somewhere. Use that as your place of residence. Unless PA has laws that are just as strict.

Anybody else from WV have experience with these issues?

AMP
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
sixty5vdub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 05:27 AM   #9
AOR
Adrenaline Off Road LLC.

Member # 4970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Damn, I'd start looking to see what it takes to register somewhere else
I used to work in a shop in MD about 20 mins from WV
The word about WV inspection is that it was a joke and very easy to pass
MD is said to be the toughest state in the nation for state inspections
to the best of my knowledge WV inspections are done by private shops and not by state facilities. MD inspections are not done by state facilities and we are not allowed to have our tires past the flares at all and there are allot of people driving around here with tires past the flares. my point is that it is up to the individual inspector to pass it or not. If you need a set of stock tires and wheels to borrow for inspection I usually have a few sets laying around
I am about 1.5 hours from Harpers Ferry
AOR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 05:28 AM   #10
CallMeBooth
Granite Guru

Member # 6429
I am your neighbor in Virginia and it sounds like you are just dealing with a shitty shop. I had a shop try to do the same crap to me tell me my lift wasnt legal, tell me i cant have aux lights on my jeep and a couple other things. I left that parking lot and went to another shop that I knew was lenient on vehicles and they passed it. The shop you go to makes a big difference. Some of the things they pointed out I get, the third brake light had to clear the spare tire and they wanted my lights aimed down so I took care of it after I got my inspection passed because I told the guy I would. The shop makes a big difference. I hope you dont continue going to the same shop.
KC Driving Lights, Hella Black Magic lights
Trektop, RR Front Stubby
CallMeBooth is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 07:42 AM   #11
chainboy1
Granite Guru

Member # 4918
I have made removable mud flaps, temporary flare extensions made out of baseboard trim and velcro, and installed a full width bumper back on. I should pass this time, see how it goes.

As far as the shop goes, there are only certain shops here that can do the modified inspection, I can't just go anywhere. I took it to this place because I heard they were a little more friendly than other places. So much for that.
Old 08-03-2011, 08:24 AM   #12
jocrazy0
Rock God

Member # 150
I lived in W.V. (St. Albans) for 3-1/2 years... moved. I think it was the 6% "sales tax" when registering my 5 year old+ cars that soured me on the place (sorta like the now illegal California "use tax" 'foreign' (e.g. not California sticker-ed) cars. Lived there too (Cupertino), for 2-1/3 years). (Or it could have been all the pollution in the Kanawha valley from the chemical plants. Some days it was hard to breathe.) Moved.

Fortunately I worked for companies (at the time) that had lots of offices where I could go. Unfortunately one of those was Cleveland, Ohio (not quite 2 years).

(I moved 9 times in 17 years. Never said I was the brightest bulb in the hall.)

So the inspection racket sucks wind. I just sympathize.
2007 Rubicon, Graystone, Auto, Dual, Power, Tow,GENTEX autodim mirror,COOL TECH antenna mount&exhaust,CIBIE,HELLA TPMS,AEM CAI, Fuel Door, Grab Handles,Tuffy,Thule,Olympic,HESCO Supercharger, HID, RR XHD FB w/stinger,DRAKE hoodlatch with locks
1972 C104 Commando - Bone stock
jocrazy0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 10:28 AM   #13
BenFoo
JKO Addict!

Member # 8805
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty5vdub View Post
Or, drive over to Pennsylvania and buy a plot of land somewhere. Use that as your place of residence. Unless PA has laws that are just as strict.

AMP
PA is just as bad. Id go with Kentucky instead.....

Sent via Telegraph.
BenFoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
Mallow
Granite Guru

Member # 8054
Check with some of the people from JeepinWV.com. They have a list of modified friendly inspection stations.
Mallow is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 02:42 PM   #15
chainboy1
Granite Guru

Member # 4918
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallow View Post
Check with some of the people from JeepinWV.com. They have a list of modified friendly inspection stations.
Thanks for the tip, I will check that out.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:10 PM   #16
Settle
Granite Guru

Member # 12313
Man, move across the river...no inspections here in Columbus, some smog stuff north and south in the state, but nothing here. Bumper, no bumper.....dragging frame or monster lift.....seems like everything goes.

Good luck with the inspection....If it doesn't work out let me know and I can "rent" you a room in the basement and you can register that thing here and you can tell Orphy to
DIY Beadlocks
Lots of things to come
Settle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #17
ffa_nsk
Wheeler

Member # 16213
. i am about to move back to maryland. right now i have no third brake light and my tires stick out past my flares like2 inches. if they give me crap when i try to register it there my plan is to cut the brake light out of the stock tire carrier and duct tape it to the back some where and hook it up. as for the tires im going to take a strip of cardboard and tape it along the edge than walk in there to get it inspected while trying not to laugh.i mean that would be just as much of a fender flare as any one you would buy , it would just be a crappy one.and if it fails i will just drive back to north carolina every year to keep it registered there.
ffa_nsk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 07:19 PM   #18
Dancin Dan
Banned

Member # 3812
I just read this entire thread and there's just one thing I wanna know:

Who da FAWK names a kid ORPHY? And how in the HELL does this person become a senator??

Oh, wait. Thought it through. WV.

It all makes sense now, carry on.

Good luck on the inspection.
Dancin Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #19
BradJK
Wheeler

Member # 16063
Things are a little different in Northern WV. We consider that PA lol. I currently live in Logan WV and grew up about 30 min from Charleston. Point is, our inspections are not real strict. I have seen alot of stuff I did not like even being on the road with. I think if you drive around you will find something that will pass you. I have seen trucks that look like monster trucks around here. I honestly have had better luck with large dealerships than little shops. I had an old S10 with dark windows, straight pipes, and holes in the body from rust and a dealership passed me for 3 years. Try a couple places man, you will get it passed.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:59 PM   #20
O2BDrty
Rock God

Member # 620
Anybody know what Arizona is like????????
Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 PM   #21
Taco08jk
Rock God

Member # 11133
Quote:
Originally Posted by O2BDrty View Post
Anybody know what Arizona is like????????
Yeah I know what its like!!!, Its HOT as hell....

Oh, you meant inspections. My bad, carry on.
Old 08-04-2011, 02:41 PM   #22
crawlermike
Wheeler

Member # 13726
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty5vdub View Post

Anybody else from WV have experience with these issues?

YES I hate it
crawlermike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 02:54 PM   #23
BigMike
I LIKE BOOBIES

Member # 6692
Garage
You should have addressed it:

Dear backwards assed country fuck,

xxxx..............

It makes no sense what so ever. You should have sent pictures of some of the pieces of shit on the road up there and pictures of your Jeep. Afterall, he was probably the only one that could read on the legislature and the others could have looked at the pictures.

I grew up in MD and they used to ticket all the time for tires sticking out past the wheel well. Never knew WVA was so backwards assed.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 03:03 PM   #24
BigMike
I LIKE BOOBIES

Member # 6692
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
I just read this entire thread and there's just one thing I wanna know:

Who da FAWK names a kid ORPHY? And how in the HELL does this person become a senator??

Oh, wait. Thought it through. WV.

It all makes sense now, carry on.

Good luck on the inspection.
That is some funny shit.

Here is Orphy:

Quote:
About Orphy Klempa

Orphy works hard as a representative of the building trades construction industry in the Upper Ohio Valley, and in addition to his other duties, serves as coordinator/secretary of the Carpenters District Council Apprenticeship & Training Program. He also serves as Co-Chairman of Project BEST, which is the construction industry labor/management organization dedicated to economic development.

His efforts as a member of the Ohio County Development Authority helped to make the Cabela’s and Highland’s project a reality. As a Wheeling Area Chamber of Commerce board member, he worked to keep the “City of Lights Project” viable.

Orphy currently serves as Vice Chair of the WV Senate Economic Development and Transportation and Infrastructure committees. He also serves on the Senate Judiciary, Government Organization, Labor, and Energy, Industry and Mining committees.

Personal
Orphy and his wife, Mary Jo, reside in Wheeling. They have five children and six grandchildren.
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2011, 06:24 PM   #25
..::LOST::..
Wheeler

Member # 10568
Hey wait! This is somewhat off topic, but the comment, "I understand we can not legislate common sense, but we can legislate safety"

Isn't that the same thing? He might as well said, you can't think for yourself so we'll do the thinking for you and call it LAW. All the while they are really masking the real problem here - GET AMERICA OFF THE TIT! I'm saddened to see we as Americans have grown way to independent of our government... Therefore they use it against us to appear busy and justified, as a result they shall tell us what's best for us - because since you can't think for yourself they must, and will justify it by keeping you safe.

Anyway sorry about your dilemma, I do hope it all works out.
..::LOST::.. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.