New JK Owner - Bought Fake MOAB Wrangler! :( - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Community > The Welcome Room

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 04:24 PM   #1
Chachi
Wheeler

Member # 16480
New JK Owner - Bought Fake MOAB Wrangler! :(

Chachi checking in with all you JKowners.com members! I am a new JK owner with a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X that you will hear more about below. Really, this thread isn’t just an introduction thread, but also a warning as well. It is long, so bear with me here…….

Quick History:
I am a former Jeep sales guy from two different dealerships over the 5 years I was in the business. I started with a Jeep dealership that had the franchise locally for years, but I got tired of working for the sales manager there. Right around the time I decided to leave that dealership for the local Ford/Dodge/Chrysler shop, Jeep became a Daimler/Chrysler product, and they moved the franchise to the dealership that I moved to. So, as luck would have it, I got to sell Jeeps the entire time I was in the business! I did purchase a 2007 Jeep Patriot shortly after leaving the dealership, which I owned until Thursday of last week. It was traded in for a 2008 Jeep Wrangler X, that I thought was a MOAB Industries Wrangler because of the lift and aftermarket goodies it had on it. Yes, I did say that I thought it was a MOAB Wrangler. Here is where the story gets good!

2007 Jeep Wrangler X – MOAB Industries Edition (Or, so I thought):
So, I used to work at the Jeep dealer as I mentioned above, so I still have buddies working there. I told them I am starting to look for a Wrangler, and if he gets something good in, to let me know. So about 2 weeks ago he calls and says that he is taking in a really nice one, and I’ll have to come see it when it gets in. So a few days go by and he calls me and says I had better get down to check it out because it may not be around long. So I head down and see this nice looking lifted Wrangler sitting there with MOAB on the fender. Having sold Jeeps before, I remember a company that builds some cool looking Wranglers called MOAB, so I was sure that is what it was. My sales guy friend thinks it is a MOAB Wrangler too, as all the suspension matches and looks nicely done. I test drive it and commit to buy it right there. The next day, I do some research on MOAB Industries to learn about what they do, and on their website it says the following:

CAUTION.......
Beware of Counterfeit MOAB WRANGLERS by a group in Oregon

Guess what? I am in Oregon! I just bought a MOAB Wrangler! So, I email MOAB Industries and tell them I just bought one, and no more than two minutes later I have a call from the owner of MOAB Industries. The owner’s first question to me was if my Jeep has stickers that say “MOAB Industries” or “MOAB Performance”. I reply with “MOAB Performance” and all I hear is the sound of a wince from the owner. He says that he is pretty sure mine is a counterfeit version. Lame, right? He proceeds to tell me that there is a guy that they think is working out of a Hertz dealership in Eugene, Oregon that is building these Jeeps and selling them. He is doing the same style of lifts that the real MOAB is doing, and even the decals they put on use the same exact font that the real MOAB Industries uses. The owner then tells me that they have legal action in the works against this guy for essentially ripping off their business model, and another buyer had this happen to him too, and is putting together a lawsuit. He asked if needed, if I would be willing to write a statement to assist in the lawsuit to which I agreed whole heartedly. But what really impressed me about the owner of the real MOAB Industries is how he explained why this situation frustrated him. He said that his business started as a hobby to make really cool and capable Jeeps. He wants something that a guy could do some serious off road driving on the weekend, yet takes his kids to school in the same Jeep on the following Monday. He said that he personally works on each Jeep through his shop, and that he doesn’t like something driving around out there with his name on it, that he didn’t have a hand in building. It concerns him for safety reasons, as well as quality. Of course he also doesn’t like the fact that some jerk is using his idea and business concept to profit from. The final piece to this that just sold me on MOAB is that even though he had nothing to do with my purchase of this knock-off MOAB Wrangler, he offered to do what needed to be done to make it right. Even if that meant looking over my JK to see what needs to be done to make it into a MOAB Industries Wrangler, he offered to do it. That is really stepping up to make sure your product and your reputation is being portrayed correctly in the marketplace.

So, at this point I have a fake MOAB Wrangler, and we will see what the future holds. All in all, I love my Wrangler and I am happy to finally be part of the club! Thanks guys!

Moral to this story? Be careful with what you buy! Do research! And, MOAB Industries is a top notch company, with phenomenal customer service! When I am ready to buy another Wrangler, it will be a MOAB Industries Wrangler for real!

Chachi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2011, 04:31 PM   #2
BeerMonkeY
JKO Addict!

Member # 148
Garage
welcome, seems to me a nice looking JK, i never heard of a moab edition anyway, well at least not other than the 2012 moab editions.
BeerMonkeY is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Chachi
Wheeler

Member # 16480
I hear you. Here is their website, with the wonderful wording about counterfeit versions.

http://moabindustries.com/
Old 08-01-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
gold knight
JKO Addict!

Member # 1460
Welcome to JKO, nice infomercial
Originally Posted by Gib View Post
I count ten rounds on target for a moving vehicle in low light. How is this woman single?
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think you just answered your own question.
gold knight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
Muvovr
JKO Addict!

Member # 7570
Is this the longest introduction in the history of the forum ?

Welcome.....
Old 08-01-2011, 05:25 PM   #6
JKrazed
Rock God

Member # 719
So, if they used the same lift, tires, etc, what's the difference?
Old 08-01-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
jdemonto
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Member # 427
Garage
Moab industries basically paints the fenders,adds stickers,lift whels tires and powdercoated suspension none of which adds any retail value to the Jeep at all!

Jason
Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
jdemonto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 05:39 PM   #8
nlgrav182
If You Can Dodge a Wrench...

Member # 7834
Looks like a pretty cheesy conversion company. I would stick with picking stuff from all over.

At any rate, good luck with your new Jeep!
nlgrav182 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 05:40 PM   #9
TEXASKEV
Official Monkey Business

Member # 112
Garage
Forget about that Moab crap. Its a lifted JK. No issue unless you paid extra for one modified by the Moab guys. Then I'd fight to get some money back. But the bottom line is you have a sweet looking lifted rig. I wouldn't sweat it.

Welcome to JKO
08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.
My RK Long Arm Coilover Build Pics
Rock Krawler Suspensions
TEXASKEV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #10
binarypie
Pie

Member # 11090
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
Moab industries basically paints the fenders,adds stickers,lift whels tires and powdercoated suspension none of which adds any retail value to the Jeep at all!

Jason
Tell that to dealerships that do the exact same thing and attempt to charge 10k, 20k, even 30k over sticker.
binarypie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 05:51 PM   #11
jdemonto
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Member # 427
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarypie View Post
Tell that to dealerships that do the exact same thing and attempt to charge 10k, 20k, even 30k over sticker.
This is a used Jeep! On the new Jeep market the lift/wheels/tires have a huge cost attached to them. I'm not saying that it makes the Jeep worth more, just more desireable to someone wanting a turn key Jeep. We build plenty of them without any issues at all.

Jason
Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
jdemonto is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 06:30 PM   #12
RODICON
30 Years of Rockin!

Member # 2233
Garage
Welcome to JKO!
Old 08-01-2011, 06:40 PM   #13
raven0319
Rock God

Member # 2925
Welcome!!
raven0319 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 PM   #14
Hittnthebz
JKO Addict!

Member # 4908
Welcome to JKO!

I'm personally not impressed by the MOAB Jeep website you linked but all I saw were color matched suspension parts.

If you worked for that dealer and are good friends with them why not go back and discuss something else if you feel you were mislead? I hope they didn't sucker you into paying extra for the "Moab Jeep"!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaker View Post
actually , I can see my cock , is just a little hard to shave down there
Hittnthebz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 05:33 AM   #15
ShortBus
JKO Addict!

Member # 13114
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdemonto View Post
This is a used Jeep! On the new Jeep market the lift/wheels/tires have a huge cost attached to them. I'm not saying that it makes the Jeep worth more, just more desireable to someone wanting a turn key Jeep. We build plenty of them without any issues at all.

Jason
Coming from the service side of dealerships, I can say that although there is some cost attached to dealer added modifications, most dealerships (and I'm not saying your's in particular) add a considerable amount of mark-up for these items.

Take for example window tint. Most dealerships charge anywhere from $199-$399 for window tint, with the lesser usually being what you can get it for if you purchase it through the service department after the fact. In reality, it only costs the service department somewhere in the $75-$120 range. They of course mark it up, whether it's for a customer, or Sales, usually to about $149 if it's a full tint job. If it's just the front two windows, such as on most SUV's, it's usually to about $99 from my experience. The Sales department then takes their turn in the mark-up process and the price of window tint has doubled or worse by the time it's all said and done.

Usually, the only real upside of having aftermarket accessories added at the dealership is the availability of financing it in with the price of the vehicle.

Again, this is just from my experience as a former service advisor with lots of experience handling the addition of dealer added accessories, PDIs, etc. Not saying the dealership doesn't offer a great service in these additions, but the mark-up sometimes can get stupid crazy.

Sorry to go off on a tangent, OP. Either way, you got a nice lookin' rig there, and probably a good step in the right direction as far as mods go.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:54 AM   #16
FireJoe20
Granite Guru

Member # 16122
Welcome to JKO!!!

Mods on the way:
* 2.5" RK Flex System
* Blisten 5100
FireJoe20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 09:29 AM   #17
Chachi
Wheeler

Member # 16480
Thanks for the welcome everyone, and sorry for the long OP. To clarify a few things, I did buy a used Jeep, yes. No, I didn’t pay extra for the MOAB package, but I did pay more for the lift. I don’t feel cheated or anything by the dealership, and have had open discussions with them. They took it in as a lifted Jeep, not as a MOAB Jeep. They were in it a certain amount, and they even told what they were in it. I paid a certain amount over that for their profit, and I am content with the deal. Now, I did buy it thinking that I had just purchased a MOAB Jeep, and it turns out that isn’t what it is. With that said, I think it is lame that someone is out there doing this. Regardless if you like the MOAB stuff or not, it is criminal what the counterfeiter is doing, and I am on board with trying to stop him. I didn’t mean to make my post sound like an infomercial as someone accused me of. I just wanted to get my story out of my first JK purchase, which has been anything but normal. Anytime a company steps up with excellent customer service, I feel that I should let people know about it.

Anyways, thanks again for the welcome, and I’ll keep this thread updated as I find out further information.
Old 08-02-2011, 09:54 AM   #18
Rob's-07JUNK
Rock God

Member # 11541
Welcome To JKOwners
Rob's-07JUNK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 10:32 AM   #19
peanut
Rock God

Member # 4440
Various companies use the same name with minor differences. If it was a knock off it would have been the same name. Bottom line is I don't see where it matters for you or the other company since very few people would actually go out looking for that company's product since all they do is re-brand a lift and put stickers on it anyway. Good luck with your jeep and have fun wheeling.
peanut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 10:46 AM   #20
SoonerTA
Granite Guru

Member # 15613
Welcome to JKO!
Rubi Sliders | 2.5 RC Lift | RC Q-Disco's | Misc Skid plates | Hella Black Magic | MBRP Windshield mount | CB with Firestik LG3-M2 mount w/ 3' Firestik | 285/70/17 MT's | 17x9 Xd Series Matte Black Addict
TexasJK.com
SoonerTA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #21
Chachi
Wheeler

Member # 16480
Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut View Post
Various companies use the same name with minor differences. If it was a knock off it would have been the same name. Bottom line is I don't see where it matters for you or the other company since very few people would actually go out looking for that company's product since all they do is re-brand a lift and put stickers on it anyway. Good luck with your jeep and have fun wheeling.
Really? It shouldn't matter to the guy that started MOAB Industries that another guy is using close to the same name (MOAB Industries vs. MOAB Performance), same font for the logo, and building essentially the same product. I think if it were me, I would be mad. Sure, immitation is flattery, but that only goes so far. It can also be lost profits if people are buying the other's guy product while thinking they are buying your product. So yes, despite what you say, it would/did/does matter to the guy that started MOAB Industries.

Again, I thank you for your welcomes and comments. I get it that most of you don't care for MOAB Industries, as that is fine and your choice of course. My point was to just let you know my purchase story and introduce myself, not get the feedback of your thoughts and opinions on MOAB Industries, but I do appreciate them.
Old 08-02-2011, 11:31 AM   #22
ShortBus
JKO Addict!

Member # 13114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi View Post
Really? It shouldn't matter to the guy that started MOAB Industries that another guy is using close to the same name (MOAB Industries vs. MOAB Performance), same font for the logo, and building essentially the same product. I think if it were me, I would be mad. Sure, immitation is flattery, but that only goes so far. It can also be lost profits if people are buying the other's guy product while thinking they are buying your product. So yes, despite what you say, it would/did/does matter to the guy that started MOAB Industries.

Again, I thank you for your welcomes and comments. I get it that most of you don't care for MOAB Industries, as that is fine and your choice of course. My point was to just let you know my purchase story and introduce myself, not get the feedback of your thoughts and opinions on MOAB Industries, but I do appreciate them.
Just gotta' ignore some of these knuckleheads, man. If you found a company you trust, then stick with it. Hard thing to find in today's economy. Seems like everyone's out to make a quick buck and an even quicker getaway.

Now do us all a favor and go get that damn thing dirty already!
Old 08-02-2011, 01:14 PM   #23
sixty5vdub
Bluebicon!

Member # 6396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortBus View Post

Now do us all a favor and go get that damn thing dirty already!
^^ This!!

Oh yeah ........ Welcome to JKO!

AMP
My new engine is a four letter word ..............
sixty5vdub is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #24
JK-ADD77
Rock God

Member # 9835
Welcome to "The Show!" Congratulations on your purchase!

JK-ADD77 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-02-2011, 02:03 PM   #25
Dancin Dan
Banned

Member # 3812
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chachi View Post

So by way of this logic, the Rubicon Trail has a pretty meaty bone to pick with Jeep then, don't they? Using that name all day long on their Jeeps. Right in the same spot as the Mighty MOAB designs or imports or whatever the hell you call it.

We get it, there's someone copying another company. We're just not nearly as bothered by it as you seem to be.

Now that you've said your piece, it's time to shut up and color.

EDIT:
Bottom line is caveat emptor. You didn't do your research and got burned by a fake that must be at least pretty decent or you wouldn't have bought it.

Last edited by Dancin Dan; 08-02-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Dancin Dan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.