Last snow run of the year - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Community > The Scrapbook & Picture Request

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 12:46 PM   #1
mr_wes
Wheeler

Member # 3339
Thumbs up Last snow run of the year

Here are some pics from a snow run made in the Oregon Cascades on 4/2. After this it was time to take these tires off and go back to something a little more normal for the warm part of the year.

disclaimer: Make sure someone knows where you are going, take emergency supplies, know your limits and stay within them, etc., etc.

This is a view of the road down lower, early in the day. There is quite a bit of new snow since anyone drove this road. I had been up here about a month earlier, and it looks like several other folks had followed those tracks for part of the way. I eventually got far enough that everything was snowed in and pristine looking. There's about 2 feet of snow on the road at this point.

This was the view out the side window where the first picture was taken. Just enough fresh snow to make everything beautiful.

This spot slowed me down a bit. There was around 3 feet of snow, but it was melted down to the road on both sides and there wasn't enough room to skirt around it. I shoveled enough snow in the holes on to allow the Jeep to make it through. The big fat tires are keeping the Jeep on top of this deep snow. They are 33x15.50 Dick Cepek FCII-s at about 4psi. Delayed, but not yet stopped.

This is what it looked like after I went through. Almost slipped in. Not a lot of margin.

There is a road in front of me, theoretically. The way the snow had drifted and partially melted earlier in the year left it a bit dicey in places. It was just enough of a side slope to keep making the Jeep want to slide off of the road and down the hill. Caution and the occasional liberal use of my shovel stopped that from happening.

Last pic of the day. This is where I turned around. I'd had enough for one day. The hole beside the front tire is where I dug down to see how deep the snow was. It was about 40" deep. You can just see the handle of my shovel sticking up out of the hole.

The snow was of a consistency at this elevation that didn't provide much traction. The chains helped some.
33x11.50 Hankook M/T RT03 tires on ProComp 8179 16x8 wheels (the rest of the year)
Safari Straps 3 piece kit, grab handles and fire extinguisher mount
Raingler overhead shelf
mr_wes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2011, 12:55 PM   #2
Taco08jk
Rock God

Member # 11133
Those are some really sweet pics, I want to take a trip up through the northern backcountry one day. I would like to go to alaska for an exploration trip one day.
Old 04-04-2011, 02:30 PM   #3
zelatore
Wheeler

Member # 13400
Excellent photos. Every time I go snowshoeing in the Sierras on a sunny day I go crazy with the camera. Nothing beats bright blue sky, green pine trees, and white untracked snow everywhere. Beautiful!
zelatore is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 06:43 PM   #4
mr_wes
Wheeler

Member # 3339
Thanks for the compliments, guys. One of the things I like about wheeling in the snow is how incredibly beautiful it is. Here's a link to my flickr account. It has access to higher resolution versions of these pics as well as a couple I didn't include here.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36674984@N00/
33x11.50 Hankook M/T RT03 tires on ProComp 8179 16x8 wheels (the rest of the year)
Raingler overhead shelf
Old 04-05-2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Bubblegoose1
JKO Addict!

Member # 976
Great photos. I am working in planning some WA group trips down your way this year. OR has some incredible scenery and trail systems.
Bubblegoose1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 01:58 PM   #6
rexicon
Granite Guru

Member # 12798
no winch and you appear to be by yourself
rexicon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2011, 02:05 PM   #7
mr_wes
Wheeler

Member # 3339
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexicon View Post
It's okay... I have an organ donor card
Raingler overhead shelf
Old 04-06-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
nc_fjizzle
JKO Addict!

Member # 11391
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexicon View Post
Man, you told him!!!

Edit: BTW, beautiful pics. I want to see that part of the country.

ΣX

Order from River City Offroad
nc_fjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2011, 05:49 PM   #9
Wurx
Granite Guru

Member # 14690
you my friend are nuts.... my ass would of been long turned around, there is like 4 feet of snow your jeep is on, a little bit of spinning would of made for a really bad day :P great pics
Wurx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2011, 09:21 AM   #10
mr_wes
Wheeler

Member # 3339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wurx View Post
you my friend are nuts.... my ass would of been long turned around, there is like 4 feet of snow your jeep is on, a little bit of spinning would of made for a really bad day :P great pics
Thanks for the comment on the pics!

I won't dispute the "nuts" assertion.

As to any spinning making it a really bad day, that wasn't really the case. I'm not driving on top of a crust or anything. This snow was really soft. I just have the weight spread out enough that the Jeep doesn't sink as much as I do walking around. That's why I'm running 15.50 tires at 4 psi (and those tires have a fairly thin side wall so they are real flexible).

If the tires spin, the Jeep will high center quite easily. But it only takes me about 20 to 30 minutes of digging to get enough of the snow out from under it so the weight is back on the tires. Then I shovel a bit of a path for the tires to get them going the right direction and I'm back in business. I don't have to shovel all the way down to the road - just enough to make it no longer high centered.

I shoveled out probably a dozen times over the course of the day. Not really a big deal.

I might be nuts, but it is a calculated and experienced sort of nuts.
Raingler overhead shelf
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.