ARB Compressor with 2.5 gallon tank - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Tech > Write Up Dept. (The Library)

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
vbguru777
"I built this", not the gov.

Member # 13704
ARB Compressor with 2.5 gallon tank

A few weeks ago I bought an ARB compressor, mounting bracket and hose kit from Dave at Northridge4x4. I finally had a free weekend to install this, so the fun began. I also picked up a 2.5 gallon air tank from 4WheelParts (Smittybilt).

My buddy Jason came over with his welder and much smarter brain than I have, and we got started. Trying to find a place to mount the 2.5 gallon air tank was challenging as there isnt near the room ANYWHERE that I had on my 04 Rubicon. After trial and error I finally decided to mount it at the bottom of the radiator, just above the front cross member.
We first bungeed the tank into position by running the bungee through the fan shroud and around the tank. We had to put a piece of wood under the tank to get it up off the cross member.

(this is looking down from the top of the radiator)

(this is looking from under the jeep)

Then we made a template for the brackets out of cardboard. The brackets mount below the front cross member, then wrap around the side of the tank.

We took some 1/8 x 1 stock we picked up a Home Depot and hammered it into the shape of the template

Next we marked the tank where we would eventually drill a couple holes through the brackets and welded on some bolts.

Then, we drilled the holes into the brackets and welded the brackets to the bottom of the cross member. Also, before this step, we welded on a tab at the top of each bracket.
(this is looking down from the top of the radiator)

I then sanded down the tank (lightly), primed then painted it flat black. I was torn between leaving it red, but finally decided to make it more subdued.

After also painting the brackets and letting everything dry for a bit, I lined the brackets with some x foam rubber weather stripping to cushion the tank. Then, I dropped the tank into place and secured it with two nuts onto the studs welded to the tank. Also, I took two hose clamps and went around the tank, grabbing the tabs I mentioned earlier.

The ARB compressor came with a very nice wiring harness and a cool ARB switch. However, I had already wired up switches (a different project) so I just used one of these as I already had the hot lead under the hood.

vbguru777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-28-2011, 01:34 PM   #2
vbguru777

Member # 13704
This is the compressor mounted and wired up

I then ran air hose from the tank to a quick coupler and from the compressor to the tank.

The Smittybilt tank came with a pressure gauge, so I used it.

The hose kit that I got from Dave came with a nice quick coupler. I obviously have a stock bumper, so for now it is mounted on the top of it. When I get an aftermarket bumper, Ill probably mount this in the same vicinity.

The biggest PITA was finding a fitting for the manifold on the compressor to get a hose hooked up to it. It is a 1/8 BSPT thread (British Standard Pipe Tapered). I obviously needed to get this to a NPT thread. I finally located a hydraulic supply shop here in Denver that had a BSPT male to NPT female adapter. $11 later (the most expensive pipe fitting Ive ever bought) and I was good to go.
After everything was hooked up and tested for leaks I ran a few tests. First, I timed how long it took to fill the 2.5 gallon tank from 0 to 100 psi (the cutoff mark on the supplied pressure switch). This took 1 minute and 20 seconds. Next, I filled my stock 32 tire from 10 psi to 35 psi starting with the tank full. This took 1 minute and 55 seconds. Lastly, I filled the tire from 10 psi to 35 psi starting with an empty tank; this took 2 minutes and 20 seconds. I should note that all of these tests were with the compressing being very hot as I ran it a lot testing for leaks.
Old 03-29-2011, 05:30 AM   #3
carbonunit
Granite Guru

Member # 12791
Nice! It looks like you did a great job. I have a co2 tank but plan on mounting a compressor as time and money permits.

Thanks for the writeup.
4" Terraflex with uppers and lowers / MX6 shocks /37" BFG KM2's /17x9.5 4" BS Raceline Monster Beadlocks / Dynatrac Front housing / 4:88's / RCV Shafts /Superior Evolution Rear Shafts / Genright ALUM Front bumper and Fenders / LoD Rear with Racks / OffRoad Evo Sliders /Or-Fab Cage
carbonunit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 06:37 AM   #4
GRIZZLY47
Struggle Snuggle

Member # 12618
Ok now do you have to have a tank with the ARB compressor?

What all comes in the box, Im about to pick up an sPOD with the air gauge, but not running lockers...YET. So if I just want it to put air the tires and shit what all would I need
2in Budget Boost | 18in KMC Rockstars | 33x12.50 Mud Grapplers | PSC Crusher Flares | Rubicon Rails | PSC RockBrawler Front Bumper | Superwinch EPi9.0S | sPOD | Dominion OBA System | Lightforce 140 & 170 HIDs
GRIZZLY47 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-29-2011, 08:11 AM   #5
vbguru777

Member # 13704
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRIZZLY47 View Post
Ok now do you have to have a tank with the ARB compressor?

What all comes in the box, Im about to pick up an sPOD with the air gauge, but not running lockers...YET. So if I just want it to put air the tires and shit what all would I need
The package I bought from Northridge came with the ARB compressor (with wiring harness and hardware), the bracket to mount the compressor and a hose kit (which has a hose, coupler and some fittings). I then went to 4WheelParts and bought the smittybilt tank, which came with a pressure gauge. I also had to make a trip to home depot to pick up some misc stuff such as an air hose that I cut to use under the hood, the metal for the brackets, etc. Other than this, oh, and the fitting I mention in the write up to convert from bspt to npt there isn't anything else to get...

So yes, the ARB compressor fills the 2.5 gallon tank.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:59 AM   #6
GRIZZLY47
Struggle Snuggle

Member # 12618
Do you have to have a tank with the compressor? Im trying to understand if that compressor will work without a tank for like filling up tires. Becuase ARB sells a air inflation kit but not an airtank
2in Budget Boost | 18in KMC Rockstars | 33x12.50 Mud Grapplers | PSC Crusher Flares | Rubicon Rails | PSC RockBrawler Front Bumper | Superwinch EPi9.0S | sPOD | Dominion OBA System | Lightforce 140 & 170 HIDs
Old 03-30-2011, 06:36 AM   #7
vbguru777

Member # 13704
Quote:
Do you have to have a tank with the compressor? Im trying to understand if that compressor will work without a tank for like filling up tires. Becuase ARB sells a air inflation kit but not an airtank
No, you don't have to have a tank. I only did this as I like to have a reserve of air for high volume usages.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #8
GRIZZLY47
Struggle Snuggle

Member # 12618
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbguru777 View Post
No, you don't have to have a tank. I only did this as I like to have a reserve of air for high volume usages.
So you can use it without a tank for filling up tires?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:57 AM   #9
vbguru777

Member # 13704
Quote:
So you can use it without a tank for filling up tires?
Correct. There is a guy on my other forum (ROF) that has this compressor without a tank and loves it.
Old 09-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #10
Berserker
Rock God

Member # 14630
Great write-up!

How would you incorporate lockers into this setup? I want to install an air tank for filling tires and still have selectable ARB lockers. I'm having a hard time finding info on how to do that. From what I've read, the ARB compressor isn't meant to fill an air tank that size. Does it overheat & time out any? How long does it take to fill that tank, and how many tires can one tank fill? Thanks!
Old 09-29-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
chileanjk
Wheeler

Member # 11653
How much time the compressor has to be running to fill the tank and shut off?
Old 10-01-2011, 02:44 AM   #12
Clownhunter69
Wheeler

Member # 3067
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berserker View Post
Great write-up!

How would you incorporate lockers into this setup?
This compressor has a three air line fittings. A 1/4" fitting for the tire fill air line (or lead to the tank), and two 1/8" fittings for air locker solenoids on the integrated tank (small grey cylinder on top of the compressor).

[x]Friend to help me help me install all this stuff (yellow08rubicon)...PCSd to Texas, now I'm solo-installing
[x]Lift (Teraflex 4" System)
[x]sPOD
[x]Front Bumper (Exp-One)
[x]35's
[x]4.88's
[x]Lockers (ARB rear)
[x]Skid Plates (River Raider)
[x]Diff Armor (Teraflex+Poison Spyder)
[x]Sport Cage (Rock Hard)
[x]Rocker Armor (Teraflex)
[_]Corner Armor (Poison Sypder)
Clownhunter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.