What causes an off center steering wheel? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Community > JK General Discussion

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2011, 11:16 PM   #1
RRauzer
Research, bro!

Member # 12652
Garage
What causes an off center steering wheel?

Went wheeling this Sunday. Don't ever recall hitting the (stock) tie rod and cannot see a bend or scrapes on it. The drag link turnbuckle is tight and doesn't looked liked it moved at all. Aftwards, my steering wheel is off center - at about 10:00. The ESP and BAS lights are on, but on the drive back from the trail it drove basically fine other than the off center.

I know I can recenter by adjusting the drag link, but what I'm wondering is other than a bent tie rod, what can cause a steering wheel to get off center? What areas/components should I look at?

Should probably put in sig but have: TF drag link flip/TF 4" with adjustable arms/37s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-01-2011, 11:32 PM   #2
TEXASKEV
Official Monkey Business

Member # 112
Garage
If you let (and this is common and doesn't take much of a hit to do it) the tie rod make contact with a hard surfas it can distort your tow. Any change like that can pull the drag link to one side or the other. The good news is that the drag link is easy to adjust to re-center the steering wheel.

Other than that I can see a few other things that can cause this. Ball joints getting wore out from over flex. Or maybe suspension control arms getting bushings degraded. Any sort of component movement in the front end can cause this.
08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.
My RK Long Arm Coilover Build Pics
Rock Krawler Suspensions

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 02-01-2011 at 11:36 PM.
TEXASKEV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
StubEXrube
Super Moderator

Member # 1473
Garage
Even a slightly bent tie-rod can cause your steering to be off center. Its hard to tell sometimes. You could have also tweaked it by pushing hard against a rock or obstacle......causing your toe and/ or drag-link to come out of adjustment.
Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
StubEXrube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
OlegRock
Rock God

Member # 4837
I don't think I've ever finished a trail and managed to keep my steering wheel center.
OlegRock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 06:24 PM   #5
CRNA
Wheeler

Member # 13028
I need help. I am very mechanical, but am very uneducated when it comes to suspensions. I put in a Teraflex leveling kit on my 2011 JKU a couple of weeks ago and now the steering wheel is off center. Where is the drag link, what does it look like, and how do I adjust it so that the steering is back to center? Pics would be nice.
CRNA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #6
SFCCotton
Rock God

Member # 5135
http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...steering+wheel
Old 02-02-2011, 06:39 PM   #7
jgkjeep
Granite Guru

Member # 9066
Pretty much every time I go off road my steering wheel is off center. Just adjust the draglink and keep going. If I notice odd wear on my tires I take it to get aligned. I still haven't figured out a good way to do the toe by myself.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:24 PM   #8
STUPIDFACE
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Member # 2880
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
Went wheeling this Sunday. Don't ever recall hitting the (stock) tie rod and cannot see a bend or scrapes on it. The drag link turnbuckle is tight and doesn't looked liked it moved at all. Aftwards, my steering wheel is off center - at about 10:00. The ESP and BAS lights are on, but on the drive back from the trail it drove basically fine other than the off center.

I know I can recenter by adjusting the drag link, but what I'm wondering is other than a bent tie rod, what can cause a steering wheel to get off center? What areas/components should I look at?

Should probably put in sig but have: TF drag link flip/TF 4" with adjustable arms/37s.
The answer is in red.
Old 02-02-2011, 07:30 PM   #9
Goodysgotacuda
Opinionated

Member # 4538
Those adjusting the draglink are doing it wrong.

You HAVE to set the toe (takes a tape measure and 5 mins).

Adjusting the draglink compensates a centered wheel for improper toe. Toe will wear tires faster than any other alignment spec being out. Recommending solely adjusting the draglink is a sure way to eat up your tires and can promote poor drive-ability. Guaranteed.

WannaBe Off Road Shop
Goodysgotacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #10
OlegRock
Rock God

Member # 4837
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post

Adjusting the draglink compensates a centered wheel for improper toe. Toe will wear tires faster than any other alignment spec being out. Recommending solely adjusting the draglink is a sure way to eat up your tires and can promote poor drive-ability. Guaranteed.
Not 100% true... at least in my case. My steering is off at least by 30-90 degrees after almost every wheeling trip and I adjust my drag link. I check my Toe at least monthly... My toe has never moved.
Old 02-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #11
TEXASKEV
Official Monkey Business

Member # 112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post

That's good info. I always check my toe and then adjust the draglink.
08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.
Rock Krawler Suspensions
Old 02-02-2011, 10:34 PM   #12
RRauzer
Research, bro!

Member # 12652
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
That's good info. I always check my toe and then adjust the draglink.
Ok ,so so far it seams like smacking the tie rod is about the only reason why steering wheel woud be offcenter. (Any one else feel free to chime in if there's other causes of it). No biggie, I recentered today.

Followup question, could you give me a reason why toe should be aligned before centering. Easy enough to do in that order, but interested in knowing the technical reasons why. Learning is a good thing!
Old 02-02-2011, 10:40 PM   #13
TEXASKEV
Official Monkey Business

Member # 112
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RRauzer View Post
Ok ,so so far it seams like smacking the tie rod is about the only reason why steering wheel woud be offcenter. (Any one else feel free to chime in if there's other causes of it). No biggie, I recentered today.

Followup question, could you give me a reason why toe should be aligned before centering. Easy enough to do in that order, but interested in knowing the technical reasons why. Learning is a good thing!
Yeah, think of it like this. That tierod is a LONG bit of bar. I've wheeled and didn't even think that I made contact with mine to rock, earth etc. But its a fact that it doesn't take much. Just a bit of distorsion will pull the toe in (typically) and pull the stearing wheel off cneter. You could just adjust the draglink to center the s-wheel but then you are going to get more front tire scrub, due to them not being aligned, and that cost money. Anyone out ther who has had less than me who can explain this better? And yes, we are all learning - its a good thing!
Rock Krawler Suspensions

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 02-02-2011 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #14
TEXASKEV
Official Monkey Business

Member # 112
Garage
Oh, and I adjust my toe using a tape at home most of the time but I do get it in the prof shop for a real alignemt 2 or 3 times a year. The draglink adjustment is just and eyeball thing and is pretty easy.
Rock Krawler Suspensions

Last edited by TEXASKEV; 02-02-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:44 AM   #15
radrubi
Granite Guru

Member # 9338
Hmmm,, ok here's my chime. I've had this problem after every trail run,, I'm still running the stock drag link an tie rod,, are any of you guys running Hydro Assist,, it seems after I put a PSC system on .. all my sterring centering problems have gone away,, I don't understand why,, but they have,, also,, I run some of the toughest trails in So. Cal,, an I'm running 37s,, ,, I too wana know wth is causing it. Also, does anyone that has had there jk alligned recently ,, know what the overall length is on the tierod ,,from the knuckle to knukle,, center hole to center hole,,, rod end center to rodend center,, that would be a helpfull number for all of us to consider to check!!! Thanks,, jus my chime
radrubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 06:22 AM   #16
Goodysgotacuda
Opinionated

Member # 4538
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlegRock View Post
Not 100% true... at least in my case. My steering is off at least by 30-90 degrees after almost every wheeling trip and I adjust my drag link. I check my Toe at least monthly... My toe has never moved.
Sorry but these things just don't come out of alignment for no good reason. Something is bending or slipping threads. Everything has a tapered ball joint, everything has a fine thread adjustment with jamb nuts/bolts, the things don't just "move". Out of, probably 150x I've been out, I've needed to adjust my toe four times from hitting the tie rod, steering wheel recentered itself like it should. When the toe is out of spec the tires do not sit flat on the road. It will favor one and the other will drag down the road.

You will have a mechanical miracle if just the drag link is coming off center and something else isn't moving. It's pretty hard to turn the adjustment with two tightened jamb bolts without off-road gremlins doing their magic. Vehicles become out of alignment due to impact/bending arms/tie rods, or wear in bushings

WannaBe Off Road Shop
Goodysgotacuda is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #17
Bighammer
Wheeler

Member # 11157
I was having the same problem and then my trackbar broke. Since upgrading the trackbar (JKS) everything is fine. May have been just the original (JKS) trackbar was bad. It was a mystery with me also.
Bighammer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2011, 08:01 AM   #18
OlegRock
Rock God

Member # 4837
"In a lot of cases, when the steering wheel is off center and nothing is bent, it is case of the plastic splines on the steering shaft jumping on themselves. Has happen a couple of times to me and have had to replace the intermediate shaft once already"
Old 02-13-2011, 04:39 PM   #19
CRDTom
Granite Guru

Member # 9937
has anyone had the steering box itself jump a tooth or two or even break internally?

my steering wheel is off center after a drive on some bumpy pavement and it has also started dumping its fluid out all over the pitman arm.

New steering box was ordered a few weeks ago - dealer diagnosed a clunk from the box.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.