ACE Engineering rear bumper and tire carrier - Page 10 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Community > JK New Product News

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2012, 04:11 PM   #226
Stevedm
Wheeler

Member # 20045
So when the jeep flexes and moves...what happens to the part that is tied into the door? I assume the body and bumper will not always flex exactly the same....this flex gets transmitted to the door and ...it bends?? or is the little tie rod free to move around and compensate for this somehow? I dont get how this could not put stress on the door when off road.
Stevedm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2012, 06:23 PM   #227
616fun
Granite Guru

Member # 18209
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevedm View Post
So when the jeep flexes and moves...what happens to the part that is tied into the door? I assume the body and bumper will not always flex exactly the same....this flex gets transmitted to the door and ...it bends?? or is the little tie rod free to move around and compensate for this somehow? I dont get how this could not put stress on the door when off road.
It's attached by heim joints so there is movement allotted. And since the bumper is attached to the frame if it's moving that much you have bigger problems than the bent tailgate.
616fun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #228
StepsRide
Rock God

Member # 6359
Any feedback on the bumper. I have just ordered a 2013 4 door and I am thinking the matching rear bumper may be great.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:00 AM   #229
RyanJKU12
Rock God

Member # 18467
Garage
Mine arrived yesterday.

I already had the Ace rear bumper without the tire carrier, which is an awesome bumper. Found a friend that wanted that one and jumped on this. I wanted to carry my hi-lift Jack when wheeling and install a cb antenna mount. Can do both of these much cheaper with the tire carrier than buying a hi-lift mount and installing the antenna will be a lot easier with the tire carrier as well.

Still working on the 3rd brake light replacement, but will probably go with an ORO Lite Spot. https://secure48.mysecureorder.net/o...l3ecamakobe4r6

Will post up my install and extras over the next two weeks.

BAM. Me, "wonder what that was?" Tom, "pretty sure it was the top of something coming into contact with the bottom of your Jeep."
JerseyCrew

Last edited by RyanJKU12; 06-16-2012 at 06:05 AM.
RyanJKU12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-16-2012, 03:44 PM   #230
BigNate
Wheeler

Member # 20027
Has anyone just disconnected the third light and found a full grommet to fill the hole?
BigNate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 07:24 AM   #231
StepsRide
Rock God

Member # 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJKU12 View Post
Mine arrived yesterday.

I already had the Ace rear bumper without the tire carrier, which is an awesome bumper. Found a friend that wanted that one and jumped on this. I wanted to carry my hi-lift Jack when wheeling and install a cb antenna mount. Can do both of these much cheaper with the tire carrier than buying a hi-lift mount and installing the antenna will be a lot easier with the tire carrier as well.

Still working on the 3rd brake light replacement, but will probably go with an ORO Lite Spot. https://secure48.mysecureorder.net/o...l3ecamakobe4r6

Will post up my install and extras over the next two weeks.

Great deal. I have ACE front Stubby and love it and want to match up the rear bumper. Quick question what lights did you install in the rear bumper?
Old 06-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #232
ChryslerChris
Yellow Submarine

Member # 17593
Garage
In my 3rd month owning my ACE rear bumper. Have had the front for 6 months now. Love them both! The rear bumper is money. Swings open with the taligate and as long as you've dialed in the heim joints and lubed the pivot, it works invisibly whenever you open the tailgate.

Gone wheeling twice with it so far. No rattles, no shimmies, nothing. Just solid performance.

For the grommet issue with the 3rd light, I just cut the wire at the grommet and pulled it thru the back. I then respliced it with my Rock Hard license plate relocation bracket (comes with 3rd brake light and license plate light - see link) and left the grommet there.

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-4006.htm

I also cut my factory tire carrier bumpers down to match the ACE carrier but left them in place.

The back up lights are just factory fog lamps, like the ones on your front bumper. Check craigslist or classifieds here and on other JK-related forums.

I'm extremely satisfied with my bumper and tire carrier. Nothing but good things to say about it!
2011 JK Sport. Detonator Yellow. RC 3.5 Series 2 lift, 35 inch BFG TA K/O's, RC front winch plate and Smitty XRC8 winch, bedlined tub, 5.13's, Aussie front, Truetrac rear, Teraflex Speedbumps... and NO STICKERS!
ChryslerChris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 06:20 PM   #233
StepsRide
Rock God

Member # 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChryslerChris View Post
In my 3rd month owning my ACE rear bumper. Have had the front for 6 months now. Love them both! The rear bumper is money. Swings open with the taligate and as long as you've dialed in the heim joints and lubed the pivot, it works invisibly whenever you open the tailgate.

Gone wheeling twice with it so far. No rattles, no shimmies, nothing. Just solid performance.

For the grommet issue with the 3rd light, I just cut the wire at the grommet and pulled it thru the back. I then respliced it with my Rock Hard license plate relocation bracket (comes with 3rd brake light and license plate light - see link) and left the grommet there.

http://www.rockhard4x4.com/product_p/rh-4006.htm

I also cut my factory tire carrier bumpers down to match the ACE carrier but left them in place.

The back up lights are just factory fog lamps, like the ones on your front bumper. Check craigslist or classifieds here and on other JK-related forums.

I'm extremely satisfied with my bumper and tire carrier. Nothing but good things to say about it!
Great love all my ACE stuff just was curious of any aftermarket fogs that may fit

Appreciate the feedback
Old 06-17-2012, 06:38 PM   #234
d'sjk
JKO Addict!

Member # 5640
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepsRide View Post
Great love all my ACE stuff just was curious of any aftermarket fogs that may fit

Appreciate the feedback
There are lots that will work but my favorite are the Rigid industries Dually LED with factory fog brackets
d'sjk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 07:18 PM   #235
mickbee
(o|||||||o)

Member # 14333
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by d'sjk View Post
There are lots that will work but my favorite are the Rigid industries Dually LED with factory fog brackets
I concur. If you want to step it up a bit in the candle power, you can jump to the Rigid Dually D2s.
|ACE Sliders & Fenders|XHD Bumpers|Rock Krawler 2.5 Max Travel|Trail Grappler 35s|Level 8 ZX|Teraflex Tire Carrier|sPOD|Smittybilt XRC10 Comp|Safari Straps|48" Hi-Lift|RIGID 50" E-series, 10" SR, D2s & Duallys|Poison Spider Mounts & Skids
Helicopter Pilot's Creed: If something hasn't happened yet, it's about to...
mickbee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2012, 07:59 PM   #236
bz
Wheeler

Member # 9534
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickbee View Post
I concur. If you want to step it up a bit in the candle power, you can jump to the Rigid Dually D2s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d'sjk View Post
Which brackets are you using?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2
bz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 06:33 AM   #237
RyanJKU12
Rock God

Member # 18467
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by StepsRide View Post
Great deal. I have ACE front Stubby and love it and want to match up the rear bumper. Quick question what lights did you install in the rear bumper?
I installed these. Got them from Auto Zone.

They are driving lights. They do a great job lighting up the trail at night, and are useful on dust bowl runs. Because they are in the bumper, they don't shine into the eyes of the driver behind you.

If you can score the Rigid lights with the brackets, I would suggest that. Ended up fabing my own bracket for these, and used a healthy amount of RTV.

BAM. Me, "wonder what that was?" Tom, "pretty sure it was the top of something coming into contact with the bottom of your Jeep."
JerseyCrew

Last edited by RyanJKU12; 06-19-2012 at 06:36 AM.
RyanJKU12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2012, 06:45 AM   #238
Klink
Rock God

Member # 16097
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanJKU12 View Post
They are driving lights. They do a great job lighting up the trail at night, and are useful on dust bowl runs. Because they are in the bumper, they don't shine into the eyes of the driver behind you.
I can vouch for that!

Sent by military trained doctors from NASA
Klink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-25-2012, 10:03 AM   #239
BigNate
Wheeler

Member # 20027
Well I got mine in & on. Fit up was pretty good though I'm tempted to put a teflon washer on the spindle to raise it slightly as my hiem joints are rubbing the brackets. I have been working night shift so have not had a chance to talk with Adam yet.

I bought a set of cheap driving lights at Wally World and used stand-offs to mount them in the bumper. I wired the lights off a relay hidden behing the passenger side tail light to power them up automatically when in reverse. Maybe later I'll add a switch to pull them in manually but for now it's a clean install with no new holes in the dash. ( I hate cheap looking switches hanging off stuff)
BigNate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-28-2012, 08:49 AM   #240
Mountain_Goat
Granite Guru

Member # 7765
I got mine a few weeks ago and finally had time to install it last week. I love being able to open the tailgate and not having a separate latch for the tire carrier. I ran into a couple of issues. Neither the end of the world. The tire carrier spindle would NOT go into the hole in the bumper more and 1/2 inch. I tried all forms of lubricants etc. Nada. I finally took some fine sandpaper to the bushing in the bumper and finally got it seated. It's REALLY tight. I lubed the spindle with with grease at the zerk fitting...still really snug but better.

I have a 35" tire on a stock wheel. I originally mounted the tire bracket one notch too high. I tried removing the bracket and every one of the allen head mount bolt/nuts were seized solid. A 1/2 impact would not break them lose. I finally had to use a torch and a grinder to cut them off. I have never seen anything like it. I used some grade 8 bolts and nuts to replace those. They weren't cross threaded and tightened OK when I first put them on. I have no idea why they seized like that. No loctite was used.

I used these lights:

I had to make the holes larger to make them fit the way I wanted but no biggie.

Overall I am very happy. I used a Rugged Ridge 3rd brake light bracket and it works great. I just had to trim it where it contacted the top heim joint.

Thanks ACE!!! Always great stuff!
2009 4 Door Rubicon. 2.5" Teraflex Lift. XRC10 Winch on Rugged Ridge XHD front bumper. Armor: Skid Row Offroad Engine/Trans Skid. Skid Row front skid. Poison Spyder Evap Skid. Rockhard 4x4 Fuel Tank Skid. Rugged Ridge Control Arm Skids. Superchips Flashpaq Tuner. KC Slimlights on KC windshield brackets. Uniden Pro 520 CB radio on Quadratec Bracket. 35x12.5x17 Goodyear Duractracs. ACE Rock Sliders. Riddler Diff Covers.
Mountain_Goat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 08:17 AM   #241
ACE ENGINEERING
JKowners Vendor

Member # 8944
ACE Rear Bumper & Tire Carrier Customers,

It has recently been brought to our attention that we have a quality issue with a small sample of our tire carriers spindles.

The Issue
We received a shipment of raw material for the carrier spindle that although had the correct cert; we have now discovered, did not match its actual grade. In short, the supplier mismarked the steel. As a result, the tire carrier spindle for a batch of 10-15 ACE Rear Bumper Tire Carriers that were shipped from late June to early July, is not up to the quality we demand.

Our Response
Since this discovery, we have begun contacting customers whom we believe have been shipped the defective parts and are replacing them with new tire carriers, as well as informing all of you through the Jeep Forums. We would like to ask all ACE Rear Bumper Tire Carrier customers to please take a look and keep an eye on your tire carrier spindle and welds to make sure they donít look compromised.

If you feel you have a defective spindle, please contact me through any of the phone numbers or email below, and we will send you a replacement immediately.

We apologize for this lapse in quality and inconvenience. We pride ourselves on the rigidity and durability of our products, and this is not the way we expect our products to perform. Unfortunately, this was a one-time fluky event, which outside of having a metal testing lab on-site, was beyond our ability to discern.

Thank you for your patience, understanding and business,

Adam Clifton
Owner, ACE Engineering
adam@aceengineeringandfab.com
Celll Ė 586-630-2790
Business - 586-806-6641

WWW.ACEENGINEERINGANDFAB.COM
ACE ENGINEERING is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 08:24 AM   #242
KrawlOff-Road.com
WWW.KrawlOff-Road.com

Member # 11892
Adam,

Thank you for the post. This is one of those deals that was out of your hands. Thank you and ACE for taking the steps to make this right for the end user... no questions asked! That is why ACE is stand up and people keep coming back for more!

Keep up the great work and quality! Please let us know if there is anything we can do to help...

-Jason
Old 07-19-2012, 08:26 AM   #243
Catfish
Rock God

Member # 14300
Nice going Adam!

ACE rails owner......
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-19-2012, 11:11 AM   #244
mitter
Granite Guru

Member # 21726
What are we looking at for estimated wait on these now?

Thanks.

Edit. Nevermind I just called and found out.

Last edited by mitter; 07-19-2012 at 11:25 AM.
mitter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 09:15 AM   #245
apollojeep
Wheeler

Member # 22618
Woohoo...just got mine ordered. Now the wait....
2007 JKU Rubicon : Rescue Green : 6 Spd : 3.5" RE Lift : Rancho 9000 shocks : 35" Nitto TGs : KMC Misfits : Bulldog Fab Front Bumper/Skid : Skidrow Engine/Trans Skid : PSC Evap Skid : PSC RockerKnockers : Warn M800 Winch : SOLID Diff Covers : Poly Perf Tie Rod : Cobra 75 : KC Windshield and Bumper Lights : Tantrum Rock Lights : Dual Tops
apollojeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 11:51 AM   #246
swiber

Member # 18919
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitter View Post
What are we looking at for estimated wait on these now?

Thanks.

Edit. Nevermind I just called and found out.
I am wondering the same. From my estimations from the length o buddy of mine took to get his 12-16 weeks. But i hope i am wrong. I ordered mine June 27 from Jason at Krawl.
swiber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #247
StepsRide
Rock God

Member # 6359
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiber View Post
I am wondering the same. From my estimations from the length o buddy of mine took to get his 12-16 weeks. But i hope i am wrong. I ordered mine June 27 from Jason at Krawl.
Call ACE direct they are always upfront.
Old 08-07-2012, 09:56 PM   #248
bnb2010
EZEKIAL 25:17

Member # 12495
just ordered mine
bnb2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2012, 08:51 PM   #249
hollywoodparke
Wheeler

Member # 22981
There time estimate 6-8 weeks was right on at 6 weeks when I ordered mine in May.
Old 08-15-2012, 09:19 PM   #250
G19T
Rock God

Member # 10656
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodparke View Post
There time estimate 6-8 weeks was right on at 6 weeks when I ordered mine in May.
Yeah I want to say I ordered mid April and it showed up at my door in between 5 and 6 weeks. Totally worth the wait though. Also Adam has some awesome customer. I had a few issues during the install, wrong washers, slag on the spindle, and me not thinking. A few calls and txts got this all sorted out. New washers showed up within a week, they told me to just chip off the slag with a screw driver (way faster and easier than filing it like I thought I had to), and Adam showed me where I was screwing up the install. Overall great product great customer service.
Dynomax Rock Crawler exhaust
ACE Rear Bumper and Tire Carrier
Rock Krawler 2.5 Flex W/ Bilstein 5100's
35" Nitto Trail Grappler's
G19T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.