Throttle Body cleaning - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum  

Go Back   JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum > JK Community > JK General Discussion

JKOwners.com is the premier Jeep JK Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #1
Victim Of Pain
Rock God

Member # 11771
Garage
Throttle Body cleaning

So, my Jeep is at the dealer getting that stupid plastic bushing replaced on the transfer case and the dealer calls me and says I need my diffs serviced and my throttle body cleaned. I refused the diff service because I will be getting new covers soon. What about the throttle body cleaning? I'm at 25K, do you think they're pulling my leg on this one? Engine compartment is a little dirty from wheeling so they may have seen that as an opportunity to beef up the bill a little.

Your thoughts?
2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear.
Victim Of Pain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 12:31 PM   #2
Goodysgotacuda
JKO Addict!

Member # 4538
You need to clean the throttle body, in my opinion. It's very easy to do it yourself however. Mine gets pretty oiled up behind it. But for $150 or whatever you can get a new Viper throttle body while you are at it, and get a little more umph! (apparently)
Old 12-28-2010, 12:46 PM   #3
merlin4979
Breaker of nice things

Member # 10198
Garage
Someone did a write-up on how to do the TB cleaning yourself. I did mine this past summer. Pretty easy to do.

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=32332
merlin4979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 12:50 PM   #4
Victim Of Pain
Rock God

Member # 11771
Garage
Thanks guys, only problem is now it's winter in the northeast, was cold enough re-attaching that transfer case cable in the blizzard for me....
2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:08 PM   #5
jacktuttle
Rock God

Member # 1772
Garage
Question At 10,000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
So, my Jeep is at the dealer getting that stupid plastic bushing replaced on the transfer case and the dealer calls me and says I need my diffs serviced and my throttle body cleaned. I refused the diff service because I will be getting new covers soon. What about the throttle body cleaning? I'm at 25K, do you think they're pulling my leg on this one? Engine compartment is a little dirty from wheeling so they may have seen that as an opportunity to beef up the bill a little.

Your thoughts?
The stealership tried to sell me this service at 10,000 miles. I called another dealer and they said not to do it. They had never seen this service needed under 30,000 miles. The dealers love to sell this service as it is easy do do and NEVER covered under warranty. It's a service not a repair. Have you been in a lot of places that would get your air filter so dirty that it would pass that on the the throttle body?
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
jacktuttle is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
StubEXrube
Super Moderator

Member # 1473
Garage
If it's too cold, you can almost surely wait a little while until it's warmer or you can find a garage. Yes...it prob needs to be cleaned at 25k. I just would not pay the inflated price to have the dealership do it. It's SO easy and takes maybe all of 15 minutes. Not sure exactly what they want to do yours, but I know that you will save a bunch of $$$ doing it yourself, because it costs nothing more than the expense of the throttle body cleaner- maybe $4-$5.
It will also give you a better feeling b/c you did it yourself. Oh......and there are just too many dealerships that don't do things right, or mess up other things while performing the simplest of routines. JMO.
Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
StubEXrube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #7
Victim Of Pain
Rock God

Member # 11771
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
The stealership tried to sell me this service at 10,000 miles. I called another dealer and they said not to do it. They had never seen this service needed under 30,000 miles. The dealers love to sell this service as it is easy do do and NEVER covered under warranty. It's a service not a repair. Have you been in a lot of places that would get your air filter so dirty that it would pass that on the the throttle body?
Off roading and the beach?
Old 12-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
StubEXrube
Super Moderator

Member # 1473
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victim Of Pain View Post
Off roading and the beach?
It's not the outside dirt/ sand particulates that dirty the throttle body and intake manifold. It's the post combustion "crud" that comes from the engine gas/ oil recirculation.
Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
StubEXrube is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-28-2010, 02:17 PM   #9
TBlagdon
man

Member # 7218
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
You need to clean the throttle body, in my opinion. It's very easy to do it yourself however. Mine gets pretty oiled up behind it. But for $150 or whatever you can get a new Viper throttle body while you are at it, and get a little more umph! (apparently)
I second that! You could have them install it for the price of servicing yours!

I was a Service Advisor at Jeep, you can do it with a toothbrush and a flathead screwdriver. Same result
Body armor Swing away / 4:88 gears / AFE intake /
Custom Magnaflow/Hypertech/Viper tbody.Much more...
TBlagdon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.